November 13, 2013 - Blind Boys of Alabama

  • Episode: 10023
  • (0)

Human Rights groups protest U.S. drone attacks, Richard Cohen faces backlash over race comments, and the Blind Boys of Alabama perform a song from "I'll Find a Way."

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THE

REPORT.

THANK YOU, LADIES ANDGENTLEMEN, GOOD TO HAVE YOU

WITH US!

I LOVE YOU.

I LOVE YOU, NATION!

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

LADIES AND SKBRE -->> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,

STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: THANK YOU,LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

YOUR LOVE IS LIKE THE RISINGSUN AND I'M A LITTLE ROSEBUD

OPENING BEFORE YOU.

FOLKS, AS YOU KNOW, THEUNITED STATES IS THE WORLD'S

POLICEMAN.

THAT'S WHY WE EAT SO MANYDOUGHNUTS IT.

BUT APPARENTLY YOU CANNOTPOLICE SIX BILLION PEOPLE

THESE DAYS WITHOUT GETTING AFEW COMPLAINTS.

>> THE U.S. GETTING BLASTEDTODAY.

ALL BECAUSE OF DRONES.

>> TWO INTERNATIONALHUMAN-RIGHTS GROUPS SAY THAT

THEY HAVE NEW EVIDENCE THATU.S. DRONE STRIKES HAVE

KILLED DOZENS OF CIVILIANSIN PAKISTAN AND YEMIN.

>> U.S. DRONE STRIKES COULDAMOUNT TO WAR CRIMES.

>> Stephen: WAR CRIMES IF?

NO.

(LAUGHTER)TECHNICALLY WE HAVEN'T

DECLARED WAR ON THOSECOUNTRIES.

(LAUGHTER)THEY'RE JUST CRIMES.

BESIDES, I THINK WE'VE MADEIT CLEAR THAT THESE DRONE

ATTACKS ARE DONE WITHSURGICAL PRECISION.

BECAUSE THE BEST WAY FOR ASURGEON TO REMOVE YOUR

APPENDIX IS BY HELL FIREMISSILE.

(LAUGHTER)WE MAY HAVE VAPORIZED YOUR

LIVER, KIDNEY AND SPLEEN BUTYOUR APPENDIX IS ON THE RUN.

PLUS BARACK OBAMA ASSUREDWHEN ORDERING A STRIKE THERE

MUST BE NEAR CERTAINTY THATNO CIVILIANS WILL BE KILLED

OR INJURED.

AND THAT'S THE KIND OFALMOST SURE THING I'M

WILLING TO BET SOMEBODYELSE'S LIFE ON.

(LAUGHTER)NOW FOLKS, THIS HAS BEEN

GREAT FOR THE LOCALPAKISTANI ECONOMY BECAUSE OF

THE CONSTANT PRESENCE OFCIRCLING DRONES, SALES OF

SLEEPING TABLETS,ANTI-DEPRESSANTS AND

MEDICINE TO TREAT ANXIETYHAVE SOARED AS WELL AS PILLS

FOR ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION.

(LAUGHTER)YES, THERE'S A REASON THAT

CIALIS COUP SELL SITTINGOUTSIDE IN BATHTUBS, BECAUSE

THAT'S ALL THAT'S LEFT AFTERTHE DRONE BLEW UP THEIR

BUT FOLKS, AS UNIVERSALLYEFFECTIVE AS OUR DRONE

PROGRAM IS, THERE IS ONEPLACE ON EARTH THEY SHOULD

NEVER BE USED, JIM?

>> DRONES, AMERICA'S NUMBERONE WEAPON AGAINST AL QAEDA

MUCH BUT WHAT HAPPENED WHENBIG BROTHER BRINGS THEM

HOME.

>> A NEW GENERATION OFSURVEILLANCE DRONE KOS SOON

BE WATCHING US ALL FROMOVERHEAD.

>> THAT COULD BE AS MANY AS30,000 OF THESE KIND OF

DRONES.

THEY WILL, IN EFFECT, BRINGEVERY SINGLE BACKYARD IN

AMERICA INTO THE AUTHORITIESVIEW.

>> BACKYARDS LIKE YOURS.

BUT IN QUIET DEER TRAIL,COLORADO, ONE COURAGEOUS

PATRIOT NAMED PHIL STEEL ISFIGHTING BACK.

>> WHAT I'M PROTESTING ARETHE PRINCIPLESES OF FREEDOM

ON WHICH THIS NATION ISFOUNDED.

WHO I AM PROTECTING IS EVERYAMERICAN CITIZEN.

>> AND HOW WILL HE PROTECTUS THESE FLYING DEATHS.

>> PHILIP STEEL IS ADIFFERENCE MAKER.

>> DEER TRAIL IS KNOWN FORMANY THINGS.

>> DEER TRAIL, COLORADO, ISKNOWN FOR ITS HOME OF THE

FIRST RODEO.

>> IT HAD A RODEO, THE FIRSTRODEO.

>> THIS TOWN IS KNOWN AS THEWORLD'S FIRST RODEO.

>> OKAY, JUST ONE THING.

BUT NOW IT'S KNOWN FOR PHILSTEEL, A MAN FAMOUS FOR

SHOOTING FOR THE STARS.

>> A LOT OF PEOPLE JUSTTHINK HE'S --

>> I'M SORRY, A WHAT.

>> IF EVERYTHING IS GOINGGOOD SOMEBODY THROWS A TURD

IN THE POT TO GET PEOPLETALKING ABOUT IT.

>> AND DEER TRAIL'S LATESTTALK OF THE TURD IS AN

ORDINANCE THAT PHILSUBMITTED TO THE TOWN

COUNCIL.

>> I WROTE AN ORDINANCE TOPROTECT AND DEFEND THE

SOVEREIGN AIRSPACE OF THETOWN OF DEER TRAIL, COLORADO

FROM DRONES.

>> HERE'S HOW IT WORKS.

>> WE'RE GOING TO ISSUEDRONE HUNTING LICENSES AND

SHOOT DOWN DRONES.

WE'RE GOING TO-- THE TOWN ISGOING TO PAY BOUNTY JUST

LIKE SOME COMMUNITIES INWYOMING WILL PAY BOUNTIES

FOR COYOTES, WE WILL PAYBOUNTIES FOR DRONE PARTS.

>> A BOLD PLAN SUPPORTED BYTHIS MAN, MAYOR FRANK FIELDS.

MAYOR FIELDS KNOWS THAT THISORDINANCE IS ABOUT

PRESERVING LIBERTY.

>> HIS ORDINANCE IS ABOUTMAKING SOME MONEY FOR THE

TOWN.

>> NO, IT'S NOT THE MONIESTHAT'S FOR ME IT'S ABOUT THE

MESSAGE.

>> A MESSAGE FOR THISADMINISTRATION.

>> MY MESSAGE TO OBAMA IS GOBACK TO KENYA.

>> OKAY.

LOUD AND CLEAR.

ANYTHING ELSE?

OKAY.

THAT IS MY UNDERSTANDING BUTANYTHING SPECIFICALLY ABOUT

THE DRONES.

>> NO, NO.

>> ALL RIGHTY.

BUT SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T GETTHE MESSAGE.

THIS IS-- MISSY A FORMERUNITED STATES FIGHTER PILOT

TURNED MIT PROFESSOR OFAERONAUGHT YOU CAN AND

DRONE.

>> I DON'T ADVOCATE SHOOTINGDOWN DRONES BECAUSE THE GOOD

OF DRONES OUTWEIGHS ANY BAD.

>> GIVE ME ONE EXAMPLE.

>> DELIVERING MEDICATION ANDCRITICAL SUPPLIES PEOPLE IN

SMALL TOWNS, BRIDGEINSPECTIONS, INFRASTRUCTURE

INSPECTIONS, CROP HEALTHMONITORING, CROP DUSTING,

THESE ARE APPLICATIONS THATARE VERY DIFFICULT FOR

HUMANS TO DO.

>> OKAY.

BUT TELL HER WHAT THEY'REREALLY GOING TO DO WITH THE

DRONES, PHIL.

>> DRONES COULD BE USED TOENFORCE ANY LAW.

>> ANY LAW.

>> YES, INCLUDING OBAMACARE.

>> I CAN'T THINK OF ANYPOSSIBLE WAY THAT WE COULD

TIE IN DRONES TO OBAMACARE.

>> TELL HER, PHIL.

>> MANY REASONS TO CONDUCTSURVEILLANCE.

LET'S TAKE SMOKERS.

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SMOKEBREAKS, OKAY, FLY A DRONE,

OH, DO YOU CHECK NONSMOKERON YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE

FORM?

OH, I'M SORRY, WE'RE GOINGHAVE TO PENALIZE YOU NOW.

>> LIKE TO SMOKE, WELLHERE'S YOUR FIRE.

BUT EVEN WITH THE THREAT OFDRONES CLEAR, RESIDENTS ARE

DIVIDED ON DRONE HUNTING.

>> PART OF IT IS YES AND THEOTHER PART NO.

>> I DOUBT I WOULD GO DRONEHUNTING.

>> I THINK IT'S STUPID.

ABOUT AS STUPID AS YOU WOULDGET, I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE

TO SAY.

>> FOR HIS DREAM TO BECOME AREALITY PHIL STEEL WOULD

HAVE TO SELL IT TO THE TOWNCOUNCIL.

IT'S ON THE DAY OF THE VOTE.

HE KNEW HE WOULD HAVE TOMAKE A LASTING IMPRESSION AS

SEEN HERE IN THIS ACTUALTOWN COUNCIL FOOTAGE.

>> THE MAYOR LOOKED UP ANDHE SAID I BELIEVE WE HAVE

SOME UNFINISHED BUSINESSHERE.

AND THEN THE THEME SONG FROMTHE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE

UGLY BEGAN PLAYING.

>> CAME RIDING IN WEARING ACOWBOY HAT, OIL CLOTH DUSTER

CARRYING A ENOUGH GUN, IBEGAN MY PRESENTATION.

>> THEY HAD NO IDEA THEYWERE DUMBFOUNDED.

>> DUMB FOUNDED WITH PRIDE.

THE TOWN COUNCIL VOTED ANDIT WAS A LANDSLIDE TIE.

>> SINCE IT WAS A TIE VOTEIT HAS TO GO TO THE VOTE OF

THE PEOPLE.

>> SO NOW IT'S UP TO THEWILL OF THE PEOPLE AND THE

PHIL OF THE PEOPLE WILL NOTBACK DOWN.

>> THIS WILL NOT GO AWAY.

SOME PEOPLE JUST MEETINGBELIEVE THAT THEY COULD JUST

END THIS BY NOT SUPPORTINGIT AND VOTING AGAINST IT BUT

THEY DIDN'T END IT.

>> NOPE, IT AIN'T OVERBECAUSE PHIL STEEL HAS

SOMETHING NOT EVERYONE HAS.

>> I THINK HE HAS A PROBLEM.

>> NOPE, HE HAS A PRINTER.

>> NEW TONIGHT A DRONEHUNTING LICENCE, OVER 25

BUCKS.

>> TAKE A LOOK, THIS IS THECERTIFICATE THAT IS CALLED A

LICENCE TO HUNT AND KILLDRONES.

>> THIS IS CREATED BY A MANNAMED PHIL STEEL.

>> THE COUNCIL MAY NOT HAVEAPPROVED DRONE HUNTING

LICENSES BUT PHIL STEEL CANSTILL SELL THEM.

>> THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY ISALL ABOUT.

>> AND HE HAS ALREADY SOLDOVER $100 AT $25 A PIECE.

>> THEY COULD BE SOLDANYWHERE AND THEY ARE

SUITABLE FOR FRAMING.

>> SO WHILE RESIDENTS MAYNOT AGREE ON DRONE HUNTING,

THEY CAN AGREE THAT PHILSTEEL IS MAKING A

DIFFERENCE.

>> I THINK PHIL'S DEFINITELYMAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THIS

TOWN.

I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S GOOD ORBAD.

>> I GUESS HE IS MAKING ADIFFERENCE BUT I DON'T KNOW

THAT IT HAS BEEN ALL GOOD.

>> HE'S MAKING A DIFFERENCE.

I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S GOOD ORBAD ON HIS PART.

BUT HE WOKE A LOT OF PEOPLEUP.

>> I WOKE MYSELF UP.

I WROTE THIS ORDINANCEBELIEVING THAT THERE'S

REALLY NOTHING THAT ANINDIVIDUAL CAN DO TO CHANGE

SO MUCH MORE POER WITHFUL.

AND WHAT A LESSON I HAVELEARNED.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEINDIVIDUAL CAN MAKE A

DIFFERENCE.

>> IN MY OPINION HE'SDIFFERENT BUT-- HE'S STILL

HUMAN BUT HE'S DIFFERENT.

>> DIFFERENCE MADE.

>> GOOD LUCK, PHIL, W

>> Stephen: WELLING COMEBACK, EVERYBODY NATION, YOU

KNOW ME.

WHEN THE SHARKS OF THELIBERAL MEDIA ARE CIRCLING

THEIR PREY I DON'T HEAD TOSHORE.

I GET A BIGGER BOAT.

THIS IS BLOOD IN THE WATER.

SLARK, SHARK, SHARK, SHARK,SHARK, SHARK.

>> FOLKS, THIS WEEK HELPLESSCHUM WASHINGTON POST

COLUMNIST AND HOMELESSCOLONEL SANDERS.

JIM?

>> "WASHINGTON POST" COLUMNNIPD RICHARD COHEN FINDS

HIMSELF AT THE CENTRE OF ANINTERNET FIRESTORM FOLLOWING

HIS COMMENTS ABOUT NEW YORKMAYOR PHIL DE BLASIO'S

MULTIRAISE FAMILY.

HE WROTE QUOTE TODAY'S GOPIS NOT RACIST, THEN GOES ON

TO SAY PEOPLE WITHCONVENTIONAL VIEWS MUST

REPRESS A GAG REFLEX WHENCONSIDERING THE MAYOR ELECT

OF NEW YORK.

A WHITE MAN MARRIED TO ABLACK WOMAN WITH TWO

BIRACIAL CHILDREN.

>> Stephen: I'M SORRY, IJUST HAD A CONVENTIONAL

REACTION.

NOW FOLKS, LET'S BE CLEAR.

COHEN IS SPECIFICALLY SAYINGTODAY'S GOP IS NOT RACIST.

THEREFORE IT'S NOT RACIST TOGAG WHEN YOU SEE AN

INTERRACIAL COUPLE.

A RACIST WOULD ACTUALLYTHROW UP ON THEM.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: IT'S LIKE

THROWING RICE AT A WEDDING,SOMETIMES IT ACTUALLY IS

RICE.

BUT OF COURSE THE INSANESCREAM B BLEEDIA, DOESN'T

GET IT.

THEY'RE TEARING INTO COHENLIKE A MOKO CHOMPING DOWN ON

AN WALRUS.

THEY HAVE CALLED COHEN'SWORK RACIST OP ED COLUMNS

GROTESQUE AND CALLED HIM APOWER WORSHIPPING BIGOT,

HORRIBLY RACIST AND STOPTHIS MAN BEFORE HE WRITES

SOMETHING AGAIN.

FOLKS, THAT, THAT-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

FOLKS, THAT IS NO DIFFERENTTHAN A LYNCH MOB IS WHAT I

WOULD SAY IF I WERE RACIALLYINSENSITIVE.

WHICH I'M NOT.

AND NEITHER IS RICHARD COHEN.

BECAUSE YESTERDAY HERESPONDED BY SAYING WHAT I

WAS DOING WAS EXPRESSING NOTMY OWN VIEWS BUT THOSE OF

EXTREME RIGHT WINGREPUBLICAN TEA PARTY PEOPLE.

SEE, HE IS SAYING THATREPUBLICANS ARE RACIST, NOT

HIM.

AND REMEMBER, IN THE COLUMNHE SAID THAT REPUBLICANS

SPECIFICALLY ARE NOTRACISTS.

SO EVERYBODY SHOULD BEHAPPY.

AND I'M SURE HE'S WELL AWARETHAT POLLS SAY 87% OF

AMERICAN AS PROVE OFINTERRACIAL MARRIAGE.

BUT THAT'S WITH A MARGIN OFERROR OF PLUS OR MINUS-- PLUS

I HAVE EVIDENCE THAT RICHARDCOHEN IS NOT A RACIST, AFTER

SEEING 12 YEARS OF-- ONNOVEMBER 4TH HE WROTE IN HIS

COLUMN I SOMETIMES THINK IHAVE SPENT YEARS UNLEARNING

WHAT I LEARNED EARLIER IN MYLIFE.

SLAVERY WAS NOT A BENIGNINSTITUTION IN WHICH MOSTLY

BENEVOLENT WHITES OWNEDINNOCENT AND GRATEFUL BLACKS.

OKAY, RICHARD COHEN HASKNOWN THE SLAVERY WAS BAD

FOR AT LEAST SEVEN DAYS.

(LAUGHTER)AND FOR THE RECORD,

TUESDAY'S COLUMN WASN'T JUSTABOUT RACE, SOME OF IT WAS

ABOUT HOMOPHOBIA BECAUSE HEADDED THE PARENTHETICAL

SHOULD I MENTION THAT BILLDE BLASIO'S WIFE USED TO BE

A LESBIAN?

PROBABLY NOT.

(LAUGHTER)SO IT'S A GOOD THING YOU

DIDN'T.

IT WAS PARENTHETICAL.

AND NOTHING YOU SAY BETWEENPARENTHESES COUNTS.

WATCH.

SHOULD I MENTION THATRICHARD COHEN SYMPATHIZED

WITH GEORGE ZIMMERMAN AFTERTRAYVON MARTIN'S DEATH?

SHOULD I MENTION THATRICHARD COHEN ONCE SUGGESTED

THAT IT'S OKAY TO KEEP BLACKCUSTOMERS OUT OF YOUR STORE?

SHOULD I MENTION THAT IFRICHARD COHEN ISN'T A RACIST,

I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE IS?

MAYBE JUST A REALLY BADWRITER?

AND PLEASE-- (APPLAUSE)

PLEASE, I DO NOT WANT ANYONEATTACKING ME FOR SAYING

THOSE THINGS.

THAT'S JUST THE CONVENTIONALREACTION TO RICHARD COHEN.

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY, MY MUSICAL GUESTS

TONIGHT FIRST BEGAN SPORMINGIN 1939, ALMOST AS LONG AGO

AS THE ROLLING STONES.

PLEASE WELCOME JIMMY CARTERFROM THE BLIND BOYS OF

ALABAMA.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)MR. CARTER, THANK YOU SO

MUCH FOR JOINING US.

>> THANK YOU, MY FRIEND.

>> Stephen: WHAT A PLEASURETO YOU HAVE ON.

>> THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: NOW FOR THEUNINITIATED OUT THERE.

ARE YOU ONE OF THE ORIGINALMEMBERS OF THE BLIND BOYS OF

ALABAMA.

>> THAT'S WHAT THEY TELL ME.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

WHAT YEAR DID YOU GUYS STARTSINGING TOGETHER?

>> WELL, NOW LET ME-- THEBLIND BOYS MET UP IN SCHOOL

IN 1939.

BUT THEY DIDN'T HIT THE ROADUNTIL 1944.

>> Stephen: OKAY SO, BUT YOUHAVE BEEN PERFORMING

TOGETHER ON THE ROAD SINCE1944?

>> THE BLIND BOYS, THAT'SCORRECT.

>> Stephen: WOW.

AND YOU MET-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

YOU MET AT THE ALABAMAINSTITUTE FOR THE NEGRO

BLIND.

AND YOU SING TRADITIONALCONTEMPORARY GOSPEL MUSIC

AND THE NEW ALBUM IS CALLED.

>> I'LL FIND A WAY.

>> Stephen: I'LL FINE A WAY,EXACTLY.

NOW HOW OLD OF A MAN AREYOU?

>> WELL, I DON'T TELL THAT.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

>> I JUST TELL THEM I'M PAST50.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: WELL, LISTEN, IF

YOU'VE BEEN-- IF YOU'VE BEENSINGING ON THE ROAD SINCE

1944.

AND YOU LOOK THIS GOOD IWANT TO KNOW HOW ARE YOU

KEEPING IT GOING.

PLEASE TELL ME IT'S POPTARTS AND BOURBON, WHAT

DOW -->> WELL, NO, I DRINK A GLASS

OF WINE EVERY DAY.

AND I EAT GOOD.

I LOVE SOUTHERN COOKING.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: I LOT OF GREAT

SINGERS, A LOT OF GREATSINGERS START OFF IN GOSPEL

AND MADE THE TURN INTO POPMUSIC.

HOW COME YOU NEVER MADE THETURN LIKE SAM COOK, YOU KNOW

♪ SHE WAS ONLY 16 ♪.

>> ONLY 16 ♪♪.

>> I CAN DO THAT TOO.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT, I'M GLADYOU SAID THAT.

WHEN SAM WAS OFFERED, WHENHE WAS ASKED TO CROSS OVER,

THE BLIND BOYS WERE AT THESAME STUDIO, THE SAME DAY

AND THE SAME TIME.

WE WERE ALSO OFFERED ACHANCE TO CROSS OVER BUT WE

TURNED IT DOWN.

>> Stephen: WHY?

>> WELL, WE WERE DEDICATEDTO GOSPEL MUSIC AND WE WERE,

WHEN WE STARTED OUT WE SAIDWE WEREN'T GOING TO TURN

BACK AND THAT'S WHAT WE'VEBEEN DOING FOR ALL THESE

YEARS.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: AS A BLIND

PERSON IS RACISMPARTICULARLY RIDICULOUS TO

YOU BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TELLWHAT RACE ANYBODY IS?

>> WELL, LET ME SAY THIS,NOW.

I CAN-- I CAN TELL, I CANTELL.

>> Stephen: YOU CAN TELL.

ALL RIGHT, LET'S TEST YOU,LET'S TEST YOU.

NOBODY TELL HIM.

WHAT RACE DO YOU THINK I AM,AND I'LL GIVE YOU A HINT, I

ENJOY THE COLUMNS OF RICHARDCOHEN.

>> I'M TO THE GOING TO TELLYOU.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, THENI GUESS I'LL NEVER KNOW.

WELL, JIMMY CARTER, WILL YOUPLEASE SING A SONG FOR US

WITH THE BLIND BOYS OFALABAMA.

>> IF THEY COME OUT.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, WE'LLSEE WHAT WE CAN DO.

MR. CARTER, THANK YOU SOMUCH.

THE ALBUM IS I'LL FIND A WAY,WE'LL BE

Loading...