June 30, 2011 - Timothy Garton Ash

  • Episode: 07086
  • (0)

The FEC allows Stephen to form his Super PAC, and Timothy Garton Ash discusses subversive facts.

>> Stephen: TONIGHT THE FCC

RULES ABOUT WHETHER I CAN

TALK ABOUT MY PAC ON THE

AIR.

SPOILARY ALL RIGHT, I'M

TALKING ABOUT MY PAC ON THE

AIR.

THEN, CAN WE TRUST PAKISTAN

TO FIND OUT I'LL CLOSE MY

EYES AND FALL INTO THEIR

ARMS.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: AND MY GUEST

TIMOTHY GARTON ASH BELIEVES

REPORTING THE FACTS CAN

CHANGE THE COURSE OF

HISTORY.

THEN AGAIN, SO CAN

WIKIPEDIA.

A FRENCH COUPLE HAS ADOPTED

A 265 POUND GOR LA.

AND IN TOMORROW'S NEWS, A

FRENCH COUPLE IS MALLED BY

NEWLY ORPHANNED GOR LA.

THIS IS "THE COLBE

>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THE

REPORT, EVERYBODY!

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

THANK YOU, EVERYBODY.

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: BEAUTIFUL, THANK

YOU SO MUCH, EVERYBODY.

YOU'RE TOO KIND.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: FOLKS, THANK YOU,

THANK YOU HERE, UP THERE, I

WANT TO SAY I HAD TO ANY

HALF -- THIEVES WHO ARE

JOINING US TONIGHT.

HOPE ALL YOUR ATTACKS ARE

PLUS TWO.

NATION, TONIGHT YOU ARE

WITNESSING HISTORY SO I HOPE

YOU ALL REMEMBER WHERE ARE

YOU RIGHT NOW.

FOR ME, I'M RIGHT HERE.

(LAUGHTER)

WRITE THAT DOWN SO I DON'T

FORGET.

BECAUSE I JUST FLEW BACK

FROM WASHINGTON, AND BOY, IS

MY EVERYTHING TIRED.

(LAUGHTER)

BECAUSE TODAY I CHANGED THE

COURSE OF AMERICA, APPEARING

BEFORE THE FEDERAL ELECTION

COMMISSION TO CONVINCE THEM

TO LET ME FORM COLBERT

SUPERPAC.

THE KEY ISSUE, FOLKS, WOULD

TALKING ABOUT MY PAC ON THE

AIR CONSTITUTE AN IN-KIND

DONATION FROM VIACOM FORCING

VIACOM TO REPORT SENSITIVE

FINANCIAL SECRETS.

FOR INSTANCE, THAT VH1

ANNUAL OPERATING BUDGET IS

$14.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: THOSE BON JOVI

VIDEOS AREN'T GOING TO PAY

FOR THEMSELVES.

NOW FOLKS, WE'VE ALL WAITED

TWO MONTHS FOR THIS

DECISION.

LET'S GET STRAIGHT TO

TODAY'S EXPLOSIVE COMMITTEE

ROOM ACTION.

JIM?

>> THE FIRST ITEM IS AN A

ADVISORY OPINION REQUEST

SUBMITTED ON BEHALF OF

STEPHEN COLBERT.

>> BY CONTRAST, B AND C

CONCLUDE THAT COST

ASSOCIATED WITH THOSE -- AB

AND C, REACH THE SAME

CONCLUSIONS ON THE FOLLOWING

ISSUES.

>> A COUPLE OF THINGS.

>> EARLIER -- SET FORTH IN

AGENDA DOCUMENT 11-38

QUESTION ONE.

>> THE CERTAIN SOMETHING --

DO NOT HAVE TO BE REQUIRED.

AND BUT IF YOU DO, THEN --

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: IF ONLY, IF ONLY

THERE HAD BEEN MORE ARCANE

BUREAUCRATIC JARGON WE MIGHT

HAVE BEEN CARRIED ON C-SPAN

3.

OF COURSE, I WAS THERE TO

GET MY RIGHTS BY ANY MEANS

NECESSARY.

AND I LET THOSE

COMMISSIONERS HAVE IT WITH

BOTH BARRELS.

>> GOOD MORNING.

>> YES.

>> YOU'RE WELCOME.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: OH YEAH.

OH YEAH!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: YEAH.

I WENT THERE.

I POPPED THE YOU'RE WELCOME

IN THERE.

OF COURSE IT WAS THE MOST

IMPORTANT MOMENT OF MY

POLITICAL CAREER.

SO I TOOK EXHAUSTIVE NOTES.

(LAUGHTER)

FINALLY AFTER ALL THE

DELIBERATION IT WAS TIME FOR

THE COMMISSION TO VOTE.

>> I MOVE TO APPROVE AGENDA

DOCUMENT 11-38 WHICH IS

DRAFT A.

ALL IN FAVOR SAY AYE.

>> AYE.

>> OPPOSED.

COMMISSION CARRIES 5-1.

Mr. COLBERT YOU MAY FORM

YOUR PAC AND PROCEED AS THE

COMMISSION HAS ADVISED IN

THIS OPINION.

>> Stephen: WHOO!

I CAN HAVE SUPERPAC!

WHOO!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: COME ON!

YEAH, BAB BABY.

NOW I REALIZE THAT SOME OF

THESE BALLOONS LOOK A LITTLE

RIPE.

THAT'S BECAUSE WE PUT THEM

UP THERE 60 DAYS AGO WHEN WE

FIRST FILED FOR THE ADVISORY

OPINION ALONG WITH A FLOCK

OF FREE SPEECH DOVES.

SO

(LAUGHTER)

I HAD WON THE VOTE FOLKS,

BUT I WOULD NOT OFFICIALLY

HAVE A SUPERPAC UNTIL MY

PAPERS FOR THE SUPERPAC WERE

FILED WITH THE SECRETARY OF

THE FEC.

>> NO SUPERPAC YET.

STILL NO SUPERPAC.

NO, OH, IT'S JUST A

HANDSHAKE.

NO SUPERPAC YET.

PAPERWORK'S STILL TO COME.

AND SUPERPAC!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

NEWLY AND SUPERPACKED T WAS

TIME TO HEAD OUTSIDE AND

ADDRESS THE COLBERT

SUPERNATION.

HELLO, NATION.

>> HELLO!

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: I AM HERE TO

REPRESENT YOUR VOICE.

SO PLEASE QUIET DOWN SO WE

CAN ALL HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE

TO SAY WITH MY MOUTH.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: FILL OWE

AMERICANS, LADIES AND YES,

SUPPORTERS, FRIENDS, AND

FEDERAL EMPLOYEES WITH

EXTREMELY GENEROUS LUNCH

BREAK POLICIES, 60 DAYS AGO

TODAY, ON THIS VERY SPOT A

YOUNG MAN PETITIONED THE FEC

FOR PERMISSION TO FORM A

SUPERPAC TO RAISE UNLIMITED

MONIES AND USE THE MONEYS TO

DETERMINE THE WINNERS OF THE

2012 ELECTIONS.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME --

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: CAN ANYONE TELL

ME WHO THAT YOUNG MAN WAS.

IT WAS ME.

NOW SOME PEOPLE HAVE

CYNICALLY ASKED IS THIS SOME

KIND MUCH JOKE?

WELL, I FOR ONE DON'T THINK

THAT PARTICIPATING IN DEM

OBLING -- DEMOCRACY IS A

JOKE.

I DON'T THINK THAT WANTING

TO KNOW WHAT THE RULES ARE

IS A JOKE.

BUT I DO HAVE ONE FEDERAL

ELECTION LAW JOKE IF YOU

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR IT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: KNOCK, KNOCK.

>> WHO'S THERE?

>> Stephen: UNLIMITED UNIONS

AND CORPORATE CAMPAIGN

CONTRIBUTIONS.

>> Stephen: UNLIMITED UNIONS

AND CORPORATE CONTRIBUTIONS

WHO?

>> Stephen: THAT'S THE

THING.

I DON'T THINK I SHOULD HAVE

TO TELL YOU.

(LAUGHTER)

OF COURSE, THERE WILL BE

OTHERS WHO SAY STEPHEN

COLBERT, WHAT WILL YOU DO

WITH THAT UNRESTRICTED

SUPERPAC MONEY.

TO WHICH I SAY, I DON'T

KNOW.

GIVE IT TO ME AND LET'S FIND

OUT.

SINCE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU,

BUT I DO NOT ACCEPT LIMITS

ON MY FREE SPEECH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT

I DO NOT ACCEPT THE STATUS

QUO.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

BUT I DO ACCEPT VISA,

MASTERCARD AND AMERICAN

EXPRESS.

(LAUGHTER)

THANK YOU.

GOD BLESS AMERICA.

AND FOR EIGHT YETS OUT THERE,

GUESS UNDER HEIGHT, THE

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, WE

DID IT.

>> I AM A SUPERPAC AND SO

CAN YOU!

>> THEN LIKE WASHINGTON

CROSSING THE DELAWARE TO ASK

IT FOR MONEY, I WADED INTO

THE CROWD WITH A CREDIT CARD

SWIPER ATTACHED TO MY IPAD.

>> THAT'S IT.

THANK YOU.

JUST THROW IT OUT, BALL IT

UP AND THROW IT AT ME.

THANK YOU.

FOLKS, I WANT TO THANK ALL

THOSE PEOPLE WHO SWIPED

THEIR CARDS IN THE RIGHT

SLOT TODAY.

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO

SWIPED IT IN THE WRONG SLOT,

THANK YOU EVEN MORE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: NOW YOU TOO, YOU,,

NATION, OUT THERE CAN BE

PART OF HISTORY BY LOGGING

ON TO MY BRAND-NEW WEB SITE

COLBERT SUPERPAC.COM.

WE WEREN'T ALLOWED TO KEEP

THE E-MAIL ADDRESSES WE

COLLECTED FROM COLBERT PAC.COM

BECAUSE THEY REMAIN THE

PROPERTY OF VIACOM.COM SO

SIGN UP AGAIN BUT I ASSURE

YOU, THAT THOSE 130,000

E-MAILS WE COLLECTED LAST

TIME WILL NOT GO TO WASTE.

THEY'RE BEING SOLD TO A

CHINESE CYBERCRIME SYNDICATE.

AND FOLKS, YOU'LL BE GETTING

AN E-MAIL REMINDING YOU TO

SWITCH TO COLBERT SUPERPAC

RIGHT -- NOW.

AND WHEN YOU SIGN UP, YOU

WILL GET THIS PERSONAL FORM

LETTER OF THANKS FROM ME.

IT IS SUITABLE FOR PRINTING

OUT AND FRAMING IF YOU HAVE

A FRAME.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: PLEASE DONATE,

NATION.

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SPELL

DONATION WITHOUT NATION AND

DOUGH.

(LAUGHTER)

WE ARE GOING TO FIX AMERICA

TOGETHER!

WE WILL BUILD A BETTER

TOMORROW, TOMORROW.

LITERALLY.

I CAN'T BUILD IT TODAY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYONE.

THANK YOU.

FOLKS, SPEAKING OF PACS,

RECENTLY PAKISTAN'S

INTELLIGENCE SERVICE

ARRESTED THE MEMBERS OF

THEIR OWN ORGANIZATION WHO

HAD HELPED US FIND OSAMA BIN

LADEN.

THIS IS RENEWED CALLS TO CUT

OFF THE BILLIONS IN AID WE

GIVE TO PAKISTAN EVERY YEAR.

NOW OTHERS SAY THAT MONEY

KEEPS PAKISTAN A STABLE AND

IMPORTANT ALLY IN THE WAR ON

TERROR.

SO WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

WELL, AN ISSUE THIS COMPLEX

CAN ONLY BE TACKLED WITH

SOMEONE WITH A KEEN MIND AND

VAST INTERNATIONAL

EXPERIENCE.

ME, STEPHEN COLBERT.

THIS IS FORMIDABLE OPPONENT.

STEPHEN, THANKS FOR COMING.

ANYTHING FOR YOU, BUDDY.

>> AFTER ALL, WE ARE

PARTNERS IN THE WAR ON

TERROR.

>> Stephen: YES, WE ARE.

>> Stephen: I SAID PARTNERS

IN THE WAR ON TERROR.

>> Stephen: OH, SORRY, I

WASN'T LISTENING, I'M SORRY.

THERE YOU GO.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: OKAY, IT'S ALL

THERE.

AND OH, YEAH, ONE ROCKET

LAUNCHER.

YOU DIDN'T GET THIS FROM ME.

>> Stephen: DIDN'T GET WHAT?

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: STEPHEN, HOW CAN

WE KEEP PAYING PAKISTAN?

THEY ARRESTED EVERYTHING WHO

HELPED US.

THERE COULD BE NO DOUBT NOW

THAT THEY WERE HARBORING

OSAMA BIN LADEN.

>> ALLEGEDLY HE WAS IN A

MANSION NEXT TO THEIR

MILITARY ACADEMY.

IF THEY WEREN'T COMPLICITY,

THEY WERE INCOMPETENT.

>> Stephen: NOT NECESSARILY.

THEY COULD BE INCOME

PET-ELICIT.

WHERE YOU ARE HELPING THE

ENEMIES BUT ARE REALLY BAD

AT IT.

ALL THE SUPPLY LINES TO

AFGHANISTAN RUN THROUGH

PAKISTAN.

>> Stephen: WHO CARES, THAT

WAR IS UNWINNABLE.

>> Stephen: YES, BUT WITHOUT

THEIR HELP, WE CAN'T KEEP

FIGHTING IT.

>> Stephen: THE POINT IS,

THEY ARE A NUCLEAR POWER

THEREFORE WE NEED THEIR

FRIENDSHIP.

>> Stephen: FRIENDSHIP, THEY

FUNDED THE MUMBAI ATTACKS

MUCH.

THE TIMES SQUARE BOMBING WAS

PLANNED IN PAKISTAN.

AND THEY SOLD NUCLEAR

TECHNOLOGY TO IRAN AND NORTH

KOREA IN THE '90s.

>> Stephen: OH, THE '90s.

LET'S STAY ANGRY ABOUT

FURBIES AN PARACHUTE PANTS.

LOOK, WE NEED TO GIVE THEM

AN ULTIMATUM.

STOP SUPPORTING TERROR OR NO

MORE AID.

>> Stephen: EASY NOW, BUDDY.

THIS IS A PARTNERSHIP, JUST

LIKE YOU AND ME.

WE'RE PARTNERS.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU

GET TO DECIDE WHO MY OTHER

FRIENDS ARE.

>> Stephen: I JUST THINK

JILL'S A PITCH.

>> Stephen: WE'RE NOT HAVING

THIS CONVERSATION AGAIN.

>> Stephen: THE POINT IS,

SOME OF MY OTHER FRIENDS

LIKE TO DO THINGS THAT YOU

DON'T LIKE TO DO.

LIKE SKIING, OR TRYING TO

KILL YOU.

>> Stephen: BUT THAT HAS

NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR

FRIENDSHIP.

>> Stephen: WAIT, ONE OF

YOUR FRIENDS WANTS TO KILL

ME?

>> Stephen: NO.

>> Stephen: YAY, ME, STEPHEN

ALBERT.

>> Stephen: WAIT, WHERE DID

HE COME FROM.

>> Stephen: WELL, HE WAS

STANDING NEXT TO ME BUT I

WAS NOT HIDING HIM.

I JUST DIDN'T NOTICE OR WAS

HIDING HIM.

>> Stephen: I WANT TO KILL

YOU FOR YOUR FREEDOM.

>> Stephen: WELL THIS IS

AWKWARD.

>> Stephen: YEAH, I'M NOT

GIVING YOU ANY MORE MONEY.

>> Stephen: WHAT?

YOU MIGHT GIVE IT TO HIM.

>> Stephen: YES, GIVE IT TO

ME.

YOU KNOW C-4 EXPLOSIVE, THEY

JUST RELEASED C-5.

>> Stephen: DON'T WORRY.

I WON'T GIVE IT TO HIM AS

LONG AS YOU KEEP GIVING ME

MONEY.

>> Stephen: I'M NOT GOING TO

DO THAT.

>> Stephen: WELL, I'VE GOT

TO GET MONEY FROM SOMEWHERE.

YOU WANT TO BUY A ROCKET

LAUNCHER.

>> Stephen: OH, YES, I CAN

PAY YOU IN CASH, DIAMOND OR

DAUGHTERS.

>> Stephen: NO, NO, FINE,

FINE.

HERE.

THERE YOU GO.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: AND THANK YOU.

OH I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

>> Stephen: YOU JUST GAVE

HIM MY MONEY.

>> Stephen: I HAVE HEARD

THESE DISTURBING RUMORS AND

I WILL CONDUCT A THOROUGH

INTERNAL INVESTIGATION.

WHICH WILL REQUIRE MORE

MONEY.

>> Stephen: GO [BLEEP]

YOURSELF.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, SUIT

YOURSELF.

THERE YOU GO.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: NO!

>> Stephen: YES!

>> Stephen: DON'T WORRY I'LL

GET THAT ROCKET LAUNCHER

BACK.

I JUST NEED SOME MORE MONEY.

>> Stephen: WAIT, YOU TAKE

THE INFIDEL'S MONEY.

I KILL YOU TOO!

>> Stephen: SEE, WE HAVE THE

SAME ENEMIES.

AND THE ENEMY OF MY ENEMY IS

MY FRIEND.

>> Stephen: THEN YOU'RE A

TERRIBLE FRIEND.

>> Stephen: AND YOU, SIR,

ARE A FORMIDABLE OPPONENT.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AN

AUTHOR AND HISTORIAN.

HIS NEW BOOK IS CALLED FACTS

ARE SUBVERSIVE.

THAT'S WHY HI MY

ENCYCLOPEDIA ARRESTED.

PLEASE WELCOME TIMOTHY

GARTON ASH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

HEY, Mr. GARTON ASH, THANKS

SO MUCH.

NOW THE NAME OF YOUR BOOK IS

CALLED FACTS ARE SUBVERSIVE.

POLITICAL WRITINGS FROM A

DECADE WITHOUT A NAME.

WHAT DOW MEAN FACTS ARE

SUBVERSIVE?

>> I MEAN EXACTLY WHAT IT

SAYS.

FOR EXAMPLE --.

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW

WHAT IT MEANS, THOUGH.

I MEAN I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED

THE QUESTION IF I UNDERSTOOD

THAT.

>> IF WE HAD MET, THE

FACTSES ABOUT SADDAM HUSSEIN,

WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION,

NAMELY HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY.

>> RIGHT.

>> BRITAIN WOULD NOT HAVE

GONE TO WAR IN IRAQ.

MAYBE THE UNITED STATES

WOULD.

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW.

ARE THE FACTS IMPORTANT

THERE.

BECAUSE I HAVE TO BE A FAN

OF FACTS.

BECAUSE FEELING IS FIRST.

AND IT FELT RIGHT TO GET

SADDAM, DID IT NOT FEEL

LIKE -- SEEMS LIKE A BAD GUY,

SEEMED DANGEROUS.

FEELS LIKE TAKE THEM DOWN.

LATER THE FACTS SUBVERTED

THAT GOOD FEELING.

SO WHAT GOOD ARE THE FACTS?

>> IN SUBVERTING THAT GOOD

FEELING.

>> Stephen: YOU WANT TO MAKE

ME FEEL BAD.

>> I WANT TO MAKE YOU FEEL

BAD.

>> Stephen: REALLY.

>> Stephen: IF YOU FEEL THAT

WAY.

I BELIEVE IN THE

REALITY-BASED COMMUNITY.

I MEAN --.

>> Stephen: REALITY IS

PRETTY SAD.

>> Stephen: IT CAN BE BUT

THEN WE HAVE MORE NEED OF

COMEDIANS.

>> Stephen: YOU KNOW WHAT F

YOU FIND A GOOD ONE, TELL ME

ABOUT HIM.

>> WHERE MIGHT I LOOK.

>> Stephen: JON STEWART.

(LAUGHTER)

HE'S REALLY FUNNY.

HE'S REALLY FUNNY.

LET ME ASK YOU, POLITICAL

WRITING FROM A DECADE

WITHOUT A NAME THIS PAST

DECADE, YOU MEAN.

>> IT'S A WEIRD DECADE WHICH

IN A WAY BEGINS WITH 9/11

AND I THINK ENDS ON THE

FOURTH OF NOVEMBER 2008 WHEN

BARACK OBAMA WAS ELECTED

PRESIDENT.

AND I THINK THE VERY

DIFFERENT AGENDA COMES

BECAUSE OBAMA'S ELECTION

COMES WITH A FINANCIAL AND

ECONOMIC CRISIS.

AND SUDDENLY THAT WHOLE

NARRATIVE WHICH IS THAT

WE'RE LIVING THROUGH THE

FOURTH WORLD WAR, THAT WORLD

HISTORY FOR THE NEXT 20, 30

YEARS WILL IS ALL GOING TO

BE ABOUT THE BATTLE WITH

ISLAMIST TERRORISM T DOESN'T

SEEM TO BE QUITE LIKE THAT

ANY MORE.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THE

BATTLE?

WHERE IS THE FOURTH WORLD

WAR?

>> I'M NOT SURE.

LET'S HOPE THERE ISN'T THE

FOURTH WORLD WAR BUT WHAT I

DO THINK, I HAVE AN ACCOUNT

IN THIS BOOK OF A VERY

EXTRAORDINARY MEETING WITH

GEORGE W BUSH IN THE EARLY

SUMMER OF 2001.

DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT.

>> Stephen: HI AN

EXTRAORDINARY MEETING WITH

HIM TOO ONCE.

BUT GO AHEAD.

>> I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT

THAT.

>> Stephen: YES.

>> BUT THE THING ABOUT THAT

MEETING, IT WAS TWO HOURS

BEFORE HIS FIRST OFFICIAL

TRIP TO EUROPE.

ISLAMISM, ISLAM HARDLY

FEATURED.

FOR HIM THE WHOLE STORY WAS

ABOUT THE GREAT POLITICAL

RIVALRY WITH CHINA.

AND IN A CURIOUS WAY TEN

YEARS LATER, WE'RE SORT OF

BACK AT THAT OTHER STORY

ABOUT THE GREAT RIVALRY WITH

CHINA.

>> Stephen: THIS WAS A

DETOUR FOR THE PAST TEN

YEARS.

>> IN A CURIOUS WAY IT LOOKS

LIKE THAT.

>> Stephen: SHOULD I AN

AFRAID OF CHINA.

SHOULD I HAVE KEPT MY FEAR

ON CHINA.

BECAUSE I DO NEED TO KNOW

WHOM TO BE AFRAID OF.

BECAUSE FEAR IS A GREAT

MOTIVATOR.

>> YOU CANNOT BE AFRAID OF

MORE THAN ONE AT A TIME.

>> Stephen: NO, I SUPPOSE I

CAN.

I USED TO BE AFRAID OF THE

SOVIET UNION AND CHINA AT

THE SAME TIME.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: ARE WE IN THE

WEST, ARE WE ANYTHING ANY

MORE?

IS THERE A WEST IF THERE

ISN'T AN OPPOSITIONAL FORCE

IN THE SOVIET UNION TO

DEFINE US?

>> WELL, THERE ISN'T THE

WEST IN THE SENSE WE HAD IT

DURING THE COLD WAR WHEN THE

UNITES STATES STATES AND

WESTERN EUROPE BASICALLY

ALWAYS GOT TOGETHER.

BECAUSE WE HAD A COMMON

ENEMY.

>> Stephen: RIGHT.

>> AND THAT'S NOT THE WAY IT

IS NOW.

OBAMA'S FIRST THOUGHT IS NOT,

EVEN BILL BILL CLINTON'S WAS

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH

EUROPE IT MIGHT BE INDIA OR

CHINA OR INDONESIA.

THE SAME IS TRUE OF MANY

EUROPEAN COUNTRIES TOO.

WE MAY BE LOOKING TO CHINA

AND INDIA FIRST.

>> Stephen: YOU SAY THAT

OBAMA DOESN'T HAVE AN EAST

WEST OUTLOOK.

HE HAS MORE OF A NORTH

SOUTH.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: WHAT DOW MEAN BY

NORTH SOUTH OUTLOOK.

>> WHAT I JUST SAID, THAT HE --.

>> Stephen: BUT AGAIN WHEN I

ASK QUESTIONS IT MEANS I

GENERALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND.

>> HE DOES NOT INSTINCTIVELY

LOOK TO EUROPE.

AND OBAMA HIMSELF SAYS IN

HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY THAT HE

DOESN'T HAVE THAT SAME

PERSONAL EMOTIONAL

CONNECTION TO EUROPE.

AND SO I THINK HE'S A

PRESIDENT FOR THE POST

WESTERN WORLD, ACTUALLY.

>> Stephen: HOW DOES THE

UNITED STATES, YOU SAY THAT

THE UNITED STATES AND EUROPE

YOU FEAR THEY ARE IN GREAT

DECLINE, IRRECOVERABLE

KLEIN?

>> I THINK IT IS ALMOST A

CASE WEAN BETWEEN THE UNITED

STATES AND EUROPE WHAT I

MIGHT CALL COMPETITIVE

DECAC -- -- DECK DENSE.

>> Stephen: WE'RE GOING TO

WIN THAT.

>> I HAVEN'T BEEN TOO SURE.

>> Stephen: HAVE YOU EVER

BEEN TO THE CHEESECAKE

FACTORY?

(APPLAUSE)

DEATH BY QHOK LAT, MY

FRIEND.

>> HAVE YOU BEEN TO GREECE

LATELY.

>> Stephen: YES, I HAVE.

TIMOTHY GARTON ASH.

THE FACTS ARE SUBVERSIVE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: WELL, THAT'S IT

FOR THE REPORT.

DON'T FORGET TO SIGN UP AT

COLBERT SUPERPAC.COM.

FOR THE PRICE OF A CUP OF

COFFEE, YOU CAN BUY ME A CUP

OF COFFEE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: SEE YOU IN A

W

Loading...