May 2, 2013 - Ben Kingsley

  • Episode: 09096
  • (0)

The Feds identify three accomplices in the Boston bombings, President Obama addresses the Gitmo hunger strike, and Sir Ben Kingsley chats about "Iron Man 3."

>> Stephen: TONIGHT, WE'VE

GOT A BIG PROBLEM WITH GITMO IN

THAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GITMO

IN.

( LAUGHTER )

THEN THE SUMMER BLOC BUSTERS.

NOW HOLLYWOOD CAN UNDERMINE OUR

MORALS IN 3D.

AND MY GUEST BEN KINGSLEY IS AN

ACCOMPLISHED ACTOR DESPITE BEING

BORN WITH A DEBILITATING ACCENT.

A MAN ARRESTED FOR SHOOTING AT

THE WHITE HOUSE SAID HE WAS

UPSET OVER U.S. MARIJUANA LAWS.

MAN, IF ONLY THERE WERE SOME WAY

TO MELLOW THAT

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> Stephen: WELCOME TO THE

REPORT!

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US, LADIES

AND GENTLEMEN.

>> STEPHEN!

STEPHEN!

STEPHEN!

STEPHEN!

STEPHEN!

STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: FOLKS, PLEASE,

FOLKS, PLEASE, WE'VE GOT TO-- I

LOVE IT.

YOU LOVE IT.

BUT I HAVE GOT TO GET TO THE

BREAKING NEWS FROM 24 HOURS AGO.

( LAUGHTER )

FEDERAL AUTHORITIES HAVE

ARRESTED THREE ACCOMPLICED OF

ALLEGED BOSTON BOMBER JOKE-A-HAR

TSARNAEV.

THE ACCOMPLICES ARE TWO

KAZAKHSTANIS.

DIAS KA-HAD... KATY PERRY

AND AZA... HAZMAT TAZMANIAN

KAYAK.

( LAUGHTER )

DAMN YOU TERRORISTS!

WITH YOUR WEAPONNIZED

CONSONANTS.

WHY CAN'T YOU AREV REGULAR NAMES

LIKE RICK, OR ALAN OR AYMAN

AL-ZAWAHIRI.

FOLKS, THESE TWO, AND AN

AMERICANED NAMED ROBEL

PHILLIPOS, ARE FRIENDS OF

DZHOKAR TSARNAEV, WHO TEXTED HIM

AFTER THE F.B.I. RELEASED THE

PHOTOS OF THE BOMBERS.

>> INVESTIGATORS SAY ONE OF THE

ROOM MATES TEXTED DZHOKAR SAYING

HE LOOKS LIKE THE SUSPECT ON

TELEVISION.

DZHOKAR ALLEGEDLY RESPONDS,

L.O.L.

>> Stephen: WHICH, I BELIEVE

PROVED HE'S A RADICAL ISLAMIST.

BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW L.O.L. IS

SHORT FOR LULULULULULU.

( APPLAUSE )

.

( CHEERS )

NOW AFTER THAT THE THREE

SUSPECTS AWARE THAT THE FEDS

WERE SEEKING THEIR FRIEND FOR

BOMBING THE MARATHON, RACED TO

HIS APARTMENT AND URGENTLY

DECIDED TO WATCH A MOVIE.

( LAUGHTER )

ALTHOUGH, DURING INTERROGATION

THEY DID NOT SPECIFY WHICH ONE.

BUT IF IT WAS JOHN CARTER, THEY

CAN BE ARRESTED FOR POSSESSION

OF A BOMB.

THEN-- TRUE.

IT'S TRUE.

IT'S TRUE.

IT'S A FEDERAL OFFENSE.

THEN THEY DID SOMETHING THAT

THEY MIGHT LATER REGRET.

SEE IF YOU CAN SPOT IT.

>> POLICE SAY KADYRBAYEV DECIDED

TO REMOVE THE BACKPACK FROM THE

ROOM IN ORDER TO HELP HIS

FRIEND.

>> THE BACKPACK WITH FIREWORKS

THAT HAD BEEN EMPTIED OF THEIR

POWDER AND A JAR OF VASELINE.

>> Stephen: THEY HAD TO DITCH

THE BACKPACK BECAUSE THE

FIREWORKS WERE INCRIMINATING,

AND THE JAR OF VASELINE IS JUST

EMBARRASSING.

( LAUGHTER )

IN FACT, I WANT TO CHANGE MY

GUESS AS TO WHAT THE MOVIE WAS

THEY WERE WATCHING.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

SO, SO WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO

WITH THESE IDIOTS?

THE ANSWER USED TO BE EASY-- I

HAVE NO IDEA, SO LET'S SHIP THEM

TO GITMO.

BUT, SADLY, GITMO IS NOT THE

CARIBBEAN PICK A BODY LEAVE A

BODY TRAY IT USED TO BE.

>> MORE THAN HALF THE DETAINEES

AT THE GUANTANAMO PRISON ARE NOW

ON HUNGER STRIKE.

>> THE HUNGER STRIKERS ARE THE

ANONYMOUS PEOPLE FROMIEMEN AND

OTHER COUNTRIES WHO ARE NOT EVEN

DEEMED A THREAT ANYMORE.

THEY'VE NEVER BEEN CHARGED.

THEY ARE JUST SITTING THERE AND

THEY'RE IN UTTER DESPAIR.

>> INMATES ARE ASKING PEOPLE

AROUND THE WORLD TO PAY

ATTENTION TO THEIR PLIGHT.

>> GOOD TRY, BUT YOU WON'T GET

HEADLINES ABOUT A HUNGER STRIKE.

CASE IN POINT-- NOBODY TALKED

ABOUT GAWNDA UNTIL HE HAD THE

NIP SLIP WHICH IS WHY I CANNOT

UNDERSTAND WHY BARACK OBAMA GAVE

THEM ALL THIS FREE PUBLICITY ON

TUESDAY.

>> IT IS NOT A SURPRISE TO ME

THAT WE HAVE PROBLEMS IN

GUANTANAMO.

WHEN I WAS ELECTED IN 2008 I

SAID WE NEED TO CLOSE

GUANTANAMO.

IT IS EXPENSIVE.

IT IS INEFFICIENT.

IT IS A RECRUITMENT TOOL FOR

EXTREMISTS.

IT NEEDS TO BE CLOSED.

>> Stephen: BOLD STATEMENT.

ALMOST AS BOLD AS THE STATEMENT

HE MADE BACK IN JANUARY WHEN HE

CLOSED THE OFFICE OF CLOSING

GUANTANAMO.

( LAUGHTER )

NOW, HE'LL HAVE TO OPEN THE

OFFICE OF OPENING THE OFFICE OF

CLOSING GUANTANAMO.

( LAUGHTER )

AND HE'S ALREADY MAKE, EXCUSES

FOR HIS FUTURE FAILURES TO CLOSE

IT.

>> IT'S A HARD CASE TO MAKE

BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, I THINK FOR A

LOT OF AMERICANS, THE NOTION IS

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND.

>> Stephen: WHAT'S WRONG WITH

OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND?

IT'S LIKE SYPHILIS-- IGNORE IT,

AND EVENTUALLY IS WILL DESTROY

THE PART OF YOUR BRAIN THAT

BUT THE POINT IS, FOLKS, THE

POINT IS WHEN IT COMES TO GITMO,

IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

HERE TO DEBLISS ME IS RETIRED

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER IN THE

JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL CORPS,

CHARLES SWIFT.

MR. SWIFT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING ME.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

SIR, YOU WERE-- YOU WERE ONE OF

THE LEAD ATTORNEYS FOR HANDAN.

AND HE WAS OSAMA BIN LADEN'S

DRIVER.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU GUYS GOT HIM

OFF.

>> HE'S HOME IN YENL.

HE WAS ACQUITTED.

>> Stephen: YOU GOT HIM OFF,

YOU GOT HIM OFF UPON YOU SPRUK

HIM.

YOU SPRUNG A TERRORIST.

GOOD FOR YOU.

>> ACTUALLY, I LIKE TONG THAT

DUE PROCESS WORKED AND AN

INNOCENT MAN WAS RELEASED AFTER

FIVE YEARS IN CAPTIVITY.

>> Stephen: WE'LL NEVER KNOW

BECAUSE HE TO THE AWAY.

NOW, THESE GUYS ARE TERRORISTS

AT GITMO.

WHY DO WE CARE IF THEY'RE ON A

HUNGER STRIKE?

>> FIRST OFF, WE DON'T KNOW THAT

THEY'RE TERRORISTS.

>> Stephen: YEAH, BECAUSE

THEY HAVEN'T BEEN CHARGED WITH

ANYTHING, AND THEY SHOULDN'T BE

BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE INNOCENT.

THEM WE'D HAVE TO LET THEM GO,

AND THEY COULD ATTACK US FOR

HOLDING THEM WITHOUT CAUSE.

( LAUGHTER )

>> YEAH, WELL, YOU KNOW, UNDER

THAT LOGIC, WE CAN DO AWAY WITH

THE ENTIRE CRIMINAL JUSTICE

SYSTEM AS A WHOLE.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

I WOULDN'T GO THAT FAR, BUT GO

AHEAD.

>> WELL IN THE HEART LAND OF

WHAT WE DO AS A NATION IS

SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE

CONSTITUTION.

WE'RE DEDICATED AS A COUNTRY

THAT IS DEDICATED TO THE RULE OF

LAW, AND THE IDEA OF HOLDING

SOMEBODY WITHOUT EVER HAVING A

TRIAL, CALLING THEM A TERRORIST

BUT NEVER GIVING THEM AN

OPPORTUNITY TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR

INNOCENCE IS SIMPLY

ANTI-AMERICAN.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT, WE--

WE WENT THROUGH ALL OF THIS

YEARS AGO WHEN GITMO WAS SET UP.

WE HAD ALL THESE ARGUMENTS, YOU

KNOW, 10, 12 YEARS AGO.

THESE GUYS HAVE BEEN THERE FOR

12 YEARS.

THEY'RE ALMOST READY TO HAVE

THEIR BEHIND-BARS MITZVAH.

WE DID ALL THIS, OKAY.

WE SETTLED IT.

WE SETTLED THAT GITMO CAN EXIST

AND THOSE PEOPLE MUST BE KEPT

THERE.

>> ACTUALLY, WE DIDN'T SETTLE

ANY OF THAT.

>> Stephen: I DID.

>> WELL, YES, CONGRESS IN 2008

AFTER HAVING LET PRESIDENT BUSH

RELEASE 600 DETAINEES WITHOUT A

SINGLE COMMENT --

>> Stephen: 16% OF WHICH WENT

BACK TO TERROR.

>> ACTUALLY, IN THE-- NOT 16%.

IT'S CLOSER TO ABOUT 3% WERE

ACTUALLY INVOLVED IN ANYTHING,

UNLESS YOU SAY THAT WRITING AN

OP-ED IS TERRORIZING.

>> Stephen: IT IS.

>> OKAY.

>> Stephen: HAVE YOU READ THE

"NEW YORK TIMES" OPINION PAGE?

LAUGH OKAY.

>> I SEE YOUR POINT.

>> Stephen: OKAY, GO AHEAD.

>> THE REASON THEY'RE THERE

ISN'T BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY'VE

DONE, BECAUSE OF THE THREAT THEY

POSE, BUT BECAUSE CONGRESS VIEWS

THEM AS A POLITICAL FOOTBALL TO

KICK AROUND, WHICH DOESN'T MAKE

US SAFER.

IN THE END-- AND THINK ABOUT IT

THIS WAY.

IF YOU HAD A RELATIVE SOMEWHERE

IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND EVERYONE

HAD SAID THEY POSE NODE THREAT

TO THE COUNTRY.

THEY'D DONE NOTHING WRONG, AND

WE'RE GOING TO RETHESE THEM,

EXCEPT THE GOVERNMENT HAS

DECIDED NOT TO FUND THEIR

RELEASE, WOULD YOU BE ANGRY

ENOUGH TO BOMB THAT COUNTRY?

>> Stephen: I THINK WE HAVE

BOMBED MOST OF THOSE COUNTRIES

ALREADY.

WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING ME.

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER-- HOMELAND

ON ONE SECOND, SIR.

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER CHARLES

SWIFT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: NATION, I LOVE

MOVIE TRAILERS.

YOU GET ALL THE BOSTON PART

WITHOUT GETTING BOGGED DOWN BY

PLOT AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENTS,

BUT THE MOVIES THEMSELVES?

THEY ARE DESTROYING AMERICA

♪ ♪ ♪

SUMMER MOVIE EDITION.

INFORMATION, I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A

HUGE FAN OF SUPERMAN, AN

INCREDIBLY HANDSOME,

GLASSES-WEARING REPORTER WHO

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT USES I HAD

SUPER POWERS TO SAVE AMERICA.

( LAUGHTER )

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

WHICH IS WHY I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT

THE NEXT MOVIE DESTROYING

AMERICA "MAN OF STEEL."

FIRST OF ALL, SUPER MAN IS THE

QUINTESSENTIAL AMERICAN HERO YET

THEY GAVE THE PART TO SOME LIMEY

NAMED HENRY CALFLE.

JUST LISTEN TO HIM BLOW HIS OWN

CRUMPET WITH WEARING AMERICA'S

SUPER WARDROBE.

>> THE FIRST TIME I HAD IT ALL

ON WITH THE CAPE, I DELINEATELY

DIDN'T LOOK IN THE MIRROR AS IT

WAS GOING ON, BECAUSE I WANTED

TO HAVE TATURNAROUND MOMENT.

>> Stephen: OH, YOU KNOW THAT

TURNAROUND MOMENT WHEN YOU SEE

YOUR OWN REFLECTION AND YOU SAY,

"OH, I AM BEAUTIFUL.

I HAVE THE PRETTIEST CAPE AT THE

BALL.

I HOPE THE PRINCE PICKS ME.

BIPPIDY BOBBIDY BOO!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

NICE TRY, CLARK EARL OF KENT.

DO YOU BRITS EVEN NEED CAIPS?

YOU CAN JUST FLY AROUND WITH

YOUR MAGIC UMBRELLAS.

( LAUGHTER )

AND, FOLKS, JUST LOOK AT THIS

TRAILER, AND YOU WILL LOSE YOUR

LUNCH IN A SINGLE BOUND.

♪ ♪ ♪

>> WHAT DOES THE "S" STAND FOR?

>> IT'S NOT ANS"," IN MY WORLD

IT MEANS HOPE.

>> Stephen: THIS MEANS HOPE.

THEY'RE SAYING SUPERMAN IS

OBAMA.

( LAUGHTER )

THINK ABOUT IT.

THEY BOWES RISE FROM MISWESTERN

OBSCURITY, BECOME THE MOST

POWERFUL MAN IN THE WORLD, AND

IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, KRYPTON IS

THE CAPITAL OF KENYA.

SPEAKING OF "MAN OF STEEL,"

"IRON MAN 3".

WHILE I LOVED THE FIRST TWO

"IRON MANS" AND I LOVE THIS ONE

EVEN MORE, I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM

WITH THIS FILM, FOLKS.

YOU SEE TGOT FINANCE, FROM THE

CHINESE STUDIO D.M.G., AND TO

PAY BACK THEIR BEIJING

PUPPETMASTERS THE FILMMAKERS

MADE A CHINESE EDITION WITH

BONUS FOOT ANNUAL AND AN

APPEARANCE BY THEIR TOP ACTRESS

FAN BINGBING.

FOLKS, THAT MAKES MEANG-GRRKS

Y-GRY.

NOT ONLY THIS, BUT TO REMOVE A

NEGATIVE CHINESE CONNOTATION FOR

THE BAD GUY, THEY CHANGED HIS

NAME FROM "THE MANDARIN" TO "MAN

DERIN."

WHY IS THE IRON MAN FIGHTING THE

HUSBAND FROM "BEWITCHED."

NO SENSE.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

WHEN WE RETURN, I WILL SIT DOWN

WITH THE ACTOR WHO PLAYS THE

MANDARIN.

SIR BEN KINGSLEY.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS AN

OSCAR-WINNING ACTOR WHO PLAYS

THE MANDARIN IN "IRON MAN 3".

>> MR. PRESIDENT, ONLY TWO

LESSONS REMAIN.

I INTEND TO FINISH THIS BEFORE

CHRISTMAS MORNING.

>> MEET THOMAS RICHARDS.

GOOD STRONG NAME, GOOD STRONG

JOB.

THOMAS HERE IS AN ACCOUNTANT FOR

THE ROXON OIL CORPORATION, AND

I'M SURE HE'S A REALLY GOOD GUY.

I'M GOING TO SHOOT HIM IN THE

HEAD.

>> LIVE ON YOUR TELEVISION IN 30

SECONDS.

>> Stephen: NOT IF OBAMA

TAKES HIS GUN AWAY.

( LAUGHTER )

PLEASE WELCOME SIR BEN KINGSLEY.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

HEY!

NICE TO MEET YOU.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR COMING.

NICE TO HAVE YOU.

I'M A BIG FAN.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> AWESOME.

AMAZING.

FANTASTIC.

SPECTACULAR.

UNBELIEVABLE.

GREAT.

JUST AMAZING.

FANTASTIC.

WOW, AMAZING.

AMAZING.

FULL ON WOW.

JUST GREAT.

JUST GREAT.

BOYS AND GIRLS I HAVE TO GET

THIS OUT OF MY SYSTEM BECAUSE

I'M GOING BACK TO THE U.K. THIS

EVENING, AND IN THE U.K.-- ASK

ME AS AN ENGLISHMAN HOW I AM?

>> Stephen: HOW ARE YOU?

>> ALL RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU PLAY THE

MANDARIN IN THIS YOU SEEM TO BE

GOOD AT PLAYING THE BAD GUYS.

YOU PLAYED LENIN.

YOU PLAYED GANDHI, ALL OF THE

SERIOUS HEAVIES, YOU KNOW.

DO YOU LIKE PLAYING A BAD GUY IN

THIS?

>> WHAT BAD GUY.

>> Stephen: THE MANDARIN.

HE'S A BAD GUY, RIGHT.

HE'S THE HEAVY.

>> MR. COLBERT --

>> Stephen: YOU CAN CALL ME

SIR STEPHEN.

( LAUGHTER )

>> LET ME GIVE YOU-- YOU KNOW,

YOU'RE PREEMPTED.

SIR STEVEN SPIELBERG WAS

KNIGHTED.

HE'S AN HONORARY KNIGHT.

>> Stephen: I WAS KNIGHTED BY

QUEEN NOOR OF JORDAN.

>> THAT'S WONDERFUL.

CONGRATULATIONS.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

>> AND HOW ARE YOU REFERRED TO

IN JORD?

>> Stephen: DO YOU ENJOY

BEING A KNIGHT?

>> LET ME GO BACK TO THE

PREVIOUS QUESTION.

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW IF

I'M GOING TO LET YOU.

>> AH, WELL, OKAY.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

GO BACK TO YOUR PREVIOUS

QUESTION THERE, BENNY.

>> BOYS AND GIRLS, WHEN YOU'RE

PLAYING A VILLAIN, THE LAST

THING YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO IS

PLAY HIM VILLANCOUSLY.

HE HAS TO HAVE A SENSE OF

RIGHTEOUSNESS.

HIS POLITICAL MESSAGE IS HE HAS

TO BELIEVE IN HIS SENSE OF

RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE TO DO

THIS, RIGHT?

>> NO, NO, I HAVE TOO MUCH

JEWELRY TO DO THAT.

I'D SCRAPE ALL THE SKIN OFF MY

HANDS FIDID THAT.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THIS GUY

THE MAPPED RIN.

AS I SAID, THE CHINESE MADE HIM

MAN DERREN.

HE SEEMS VAGUELIATION.

MAYBE A LITTLE ARAB.

IS THERE ANY ETHNICITY WE CAN

OVERLAY ON BEN KINGSLEY?

YOU PLAYED IT ALL.

>> I'VE NEVER PLAYED A GIRL.

>> Stephen: REALLY.

>> THAT'S NOT AN ETHNICITY, I

KNOW.

>> Stephen: NO.

>> BUT I AM-- I AM--

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

BUT I'M REALLY-- I'M MEETING YOU

HALFWAY HERE.

( LAUGHTER )

>> Stephen: BETWEEN MAN AND

WOMAN?

YOU'RE MEET MEEG HALFWAY?

>> HOWEVER YOU WISH TO INTERPRET

IT.

>> Stephen: LIKE, WHEN YOU

DID "GANDHI."

WHEN I WAS A KID I LOVED THAT

STORY.

>> WHEN WERE YOU A WHAT?

SORRY.

WHEN I WAS A KID.

A CHILD.

A VERY SMALL CHILD, WHEN YOU

WERE IN "GANDHI."

>> ARE WE MAKING FRIENDS NOW?

WHAT ENDEARED YOU, I'M CURIOUS,

AS A CHILD, WHAT ENDEARED YOU?

>> Stephen: FASHION, FASHION.

HIS HOMESPUN IS WHAT I LIKED

ABOUT HIM.

IT WAS MINIMAL.

IT WAS MINIMAL--

>> WHEN-- WHEN HE VISITED HIS

MAJESTY KING GEORGE V, AND HE

WAS ASKED, "DID YOU THINK YOU

WERE SUFFICIENTLY DRESSED TO

MEET HIS MAJESTY."

AND HE SAID, "HIS MAJESTY HAD

ENOUGH CLOTHES ON FOR BOTH OF

US."

NOT BAD.

>> Stephen: THAT'S NICE.

>> NOT BAD.

>> Stephen: THAT'S QUICK.

>> NOT BAD FOR A BAD GUY IS

THERE NO.

BUT THAT WAS, LIKE THE LAST

GREAT EPIC THAT ACTUALLY

HAPPENED, LIKE, WHEN THEY SHOT

IT.

WHEN YOU SPOKE TO 20,000 PEOPLE

IN ONE OF THE SCENES, THERE WERE

20,000 INDIANS.

>> THERE WERE 400,000 AT

GANDHI'S FUNERAL.

>> Stephen: BUT TODAY THAT

WOULD JUST BE DONE WITH

PING-PONG BALLS GLUED TO A GREEN

WALL.

>> YES, YES.

>> Stephen: IN THIS MOVIE DID

YOU EVER ACT WITH ANOTHER ACTUAL

HUMAN BEING OR WAS IT ALL GREEN

SCREEN?

>> A LOT OF MY BROADCASTS,

MR. COLBERT, WERE TO THE CAMERA

AND, THEREFORE, THEY WERE

BROADCAST TO WESTERN

CIVILIZATION.

>> Stephen: I UNDERSTAND.

SO NOT REAL PEOPLE?

>> REAL PEOPLE.

OVER TO YOU.

BUT REALLY, I DID HAVE SOME

SCENES WITH ROBERT.

AND WITH BOBBY.

NO, ROBERT.

>> Stephen: HE ASKED ME TO

CALL HIM BOBBY.

I'M A GOOD FRIEND OF HIS.

>> THAT'S FINE.

>> Stephen: "CALL ME BOBBY"

HE SAID.

HE SAID, "I TELL PEOPLE TO CALL

ME ROBERT IF WE'RE PROFESSIONAL

ACQUAINTANCES.

BOBBY TO HIS FRIEND."

WERE YOU KNIGHTED?

WERE YOU HONORED TO BE PART OF

AN ANCIENT TRADITION?

OR WERE YOU THINKING, OH, MY

GOD.

THERE'S A 76-YEAR-OLD WOMAN

HOLDING A SHARP BLADE NEXT TO MY

NECK?

>> THAT NEVER CROSSED MY MIND?

>> Stephen: NO?

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO FOR IT?

DO YOU DO ANYTHING DURING THE

DAY?

DO YOU HAVE TO GIVE A SPEECH?

IS THERE A PARADE?

IS THERE LUNCH WITH THE QUEEN?

WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU GET

KNIGHTED.

>> MY KNIGHTHOOD WAS DESPOAD

UPON ME FOR MY SERVICES FOR

DRAMA.

>> Stephen: I KNOW WHY YOU

DESERVE IT.

YOU'RE A GREAT ACTOR.

>> I'M SORRY, I MISUNDERSTOOD

THE QUESTION.

>> Stephen: I'M SORRY, MAYBE

I WAS--

>> IT'S A CULTURAL THING.

( APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: I'M GOING TO GO

WITH YOU MISUNDERSTANDING.

( LAUGHTER )

DID YOU HAVE TO DO ANYTHING THAT

DAY.

DID YOU HAVE TO DO ANYTHING IN

RETURN?

>> JUST SO YOU KNOW, JUST BE

NERVOUS.

JUST HAVE SHAKY LEGS.

THAT'S ALL.

QUITE EASY, REALLY.

>> Stephen: WELL, I-- I'VE

ENJOYED OUR CONVERSATION.

I FEEL LIKE PERHAPS IT WAS

HOSTILE AT TIMES.

( LAUGHTER )

>> I'M SORRY.

I APOLOGIZE FOR MY HOSTILITY.

>> Stephen: OKAY, AND I

ACCEPT.

>> YOU'RE VERYIACEOUS.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

YOU-- I-- READ-- AGAIN, WHEN I

WAS JUST A TYKE, I REMEMBER

READING YOU TALKING ABOUT YOUR

OWN ACTING, AND YOU SAID

MAINLY-- LIKE, WHAT YOU FIRST--

FIRST IT WAS YOU GOTTA LEARN

YOUR LINES.

IS THAT REALLY WHAT YOU DO FIRST

IS LEARN YOUR LINE?

>> I STUDY THE SCRIPT, YES, I

DO.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE I'VE GOT

A LOT OF WORDS UP THERE ON THE

PROMPTER RIGHT THERE.

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT

BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO MEMORIZE

ASKING BECAUSE THEY JUST PUT

STUFF UP THERE FOR ME TO SAY.

>> WHEN YOU'RE LOOK AT THE

MONITOR YOU CAN'T LOOK AT YOUR

ACTORS.

>> Stephen: YOU SAID YOU DID

SCENES INTO THE CAMERA.

>> BUT I DO HAVE SCEEBZ WITH

BOAB.

>> Stephen: BEN THANK YOU SO

MUCH FOR JOINING ME.

SIR BEN KINGSLEY.

SIT DOWN!

CAN THE IRE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

NOW GET UP.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FOR THE

SHOW, FOLKS.

BEFORE WE GO, DON'T FORGET TO

CHECK OUT THE MONT LAYER FILM

FESTIVAL.

GO TO MONTCLAIRFILMFEST.ORG.

THERE ARE SO MANY FILMS, IT'S