June 3, 2013 - John Dingell

  • Episode: 09109
  • (0)

Mark Pocan tempts Stephen with divorce, precision-guided guns promote skill-free killing, and John Dingell wants Congress to learn how to compromise.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: HEY, EVERYBODY.

TEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: WE WILL TOM TO THE

REPORT.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US.

THANK YOU, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

IT'S THE WEATHER, I DON'T KNOW.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE,

SIT DOWN.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

SIT DOWN, EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US.

AND WELCOME BACK, ME.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

THANK YOU.

YES, I WAS ON BREAK LAST WEEK,

AND, FOLKS, IT WAS GREAT.

I FINALLY HAD TIME TO WATCH MY

FAVORITE SHOW, "THE COLBERT

REPORT."

THOUGH I'VE GOT TO SAY AS USUAL

IT WAS ALL RE-RUNS.

HAPPENS EVERY TIME I'M ON BREAK.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

OF COURSE, FOLKS, WHILE I WAS

AWAY, SOME BIG NEWS HAPPENED.

ONE IMAGINES.

I DON'T KNOW.

AND WE WILL HAVE MORE ON THOSE

STORIES AS SOON AS I

OH, HI!

I WAS JUST READING "FUN FACTS

ABOUT WISCONSIN," A BOOK THAT,

LET'S SAY, EXISTS.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MANY OF

AMERICA'S WELL KNOWN CITIES ARE

NAMED FOR GREAT LEADERS.

YOU'VE GOT WASHINGTON D.C.,

LINCOLN, NEBRASKA; AND

WISCONSIN'S OWN MADISON, NAMED

FOR FAMOUS GOTH ROCKER MARILYN

MAD SEN.

SAYS SO RIGHT HERE IN, AGAIN,

THIS VERY REAL BOOK.

AND MADISON IS NETTALLED IN THE

SUBJECT OF THE 71st

INSTALLMENT OF MY 434-PART

SERIES "BETTER KNOW A DISTRICT."

TONIGHT, WISCONSIN'S SECOND, THE

FIGHTIN' SECOND.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

MADISON, WISCONSIN, IS FAMOUSLY

ONE OF THE MOST LIBERAL CITIES

IN AMERICA TRAILING ONLY SAN

FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, AUSTIN,

TEXAS AND MEAT-IS-MURDER,

OREGON.

WISCONSIN SECOND IS ALSO WHERE

THE RINGLING BROTHERS FOUNDED

THEIR FAMOUS RINGLING BROTHERS

CIRCUS KNOWN AS THE GREATEST

SHOW ON EARTH BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE

NEVER LEFT WISCONSIN.

NOW THE DISTRICT ALSO CONTAINS

PART OF THE BEAUTIFUL WISCONSIN

DELLS, WHERE YOU'LL FIND NOAH'S

ARK OFFICIALLY AMERICA'S LARGEST

WATER PARK AND UNOFFICIALLY

AMERICA'S LARGEST OPEN-AIRPORT A

POTTY.

AND... TRUE.

ANYONE FOR A STAPH INFECTION.

STEP RIGHT UP.

AND WHO HAS THE BUCKIE BADGERS

TO REPRESENT SUCH A DISTRICT?

IT'S NONE OTHER THAN FRESHMAN

DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSMAN MARK

POCAN.

I SAT DOWN WITH REPRESENTATIVE

POCAN IN HIS WASHINGTON OFFICE.

CONGRESSMAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR TALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

IT'S AN HONOR.

>> IS IT PO-KIN.

POCAN.

LIKE THE NUT.

CAN I CALL YOU POKEY?

OAKY DOAKY CONGRESSMAN POKEY.

LET'S GET TO IT.

FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATULATIONS ON

YOUR FIRST 100 DAYS IN CONGRESS.

>> THANK YOU.

I'VE GOT TO SHOW YOU

SOMETHING.

>> AWESOME.

Stephen: BLOW IT OUT.

MAKE A WISH.

TAKE THAT ONE.

AND THAT ONE.

>> GREAT.

THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: MAKE A WISH.

BREAK THAT IN HALF.

PUT IT UNDER YOUR PILLOW AND IN

THE MORNING YOU'LL HAVE A WAXY

PILLOW.

OKAY.

>> I SAW THIS.

THIS WAS FANTASTIC.

THIS IS YOU BEING SWORN IN,

CORRECT?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

Stephen: ANY TEARS?

ANY TEARS WHEN YOU WERE SWORN

IN?

>> NO.

IT WAS JUST A REAL HONOR TO BE

SWORN IN.

>> DID BOEHNER CRY?

HE ACTUALLY DIDN'T.

Stephen: HE CRIES A LOT.

SO NICE THAT YOUR YOUNG NEPHEW

COULD BE THERE WITH YOU.

>> THAT'S MY HUSBAND, PHIL.

Stephen: I'M SORRY.

THAT'S MY HUSBAND, PHIL.

Stephen: YOU ARE GAY?

YES.

Stephen: WHY?

IT'S JUST WHO I AM.

IT'S THE WAY YOU'RE BORN.

>> Stephen: NO, I WAS BORN

STRAIGHT.

I WAS NOT BORN GAY.

YOU SAY YOU WERE BORN GAY.

>> I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE GAY.

Stephen: BUT YOU THOUGHT I

WAS.

YOU GUESSED.

I ASSUME YOU SUPPORT FEDERAL

RECOGNITION OF GAY MARRIAGE

UNTIL YOUR HUSBAND FORGETS TO

TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE, AM I

RIGHT?

MEN!

CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM.

LEGALLY CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM IN

SOME STATES.

>> THAT'S A PROBLEM.

Stephen: WHAT IS IT ABOUT MY

GOD-SANCTIONED MARRIAGE THAT YOU

MOST WANT TO DESTROY?

>> NOTHING.

IN FACT...

>> Stephen: YOU ARE.

YOU'RE HARMING IT.

>> I'VE HARMED YOUR MARRIAGE.

Stephen: YOU HAVE.

IN WHAT WAY.

Stephen: BECAUSE IF I COULD

HAVE GOTTEN GAY-MARRIED, WHY

WOULDN'T I HAVE DONE THAT

INSTEAD?

GUYS ARE GREAT.

>> WELL, YOU COULD GET DIVORCED

POTENTIALLY AND MARRY A MAN IF

THAT'S...

>> Stephen: NOW YOU'RE

SUGGESTING THAT I GET DIVORCED,

AND YOU SAY YOU'RE NOT

DESTROYING MY MARRIAGE.

>> YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN DIVORCED.

Stephen: BUT YOU JUST TEMPTED

ME WITH THAT.

YOU SHOULD GET DIVORCED.

>> I'M NOT TEMPTING YOU.

Stephen: I'M NOT TEMPTED AT

ALL.

BECAUSE I'M NOW MARRIED.

I BELIEVE IN THE OATH I TOOK.

THE OATH TO BE MARRIED, AND I

AM.

OKAY.

THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT

THAT NOW.

AS A FRESHMAN CONGRESSMAN, YOU

DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A RECORD FOR

ME TO ATTACK YET.

>> THAT'S GREAT.

Stephen: WHAT ARE SOME OF THE

THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO

ACCOMPLISH SO I CAN ATTACK IT?

>> MAKING SURE THAT WE'RE

PROVIDING ADEQUATE HEALTH CARE

FOR ALL OF OUR PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: YOU MEAN OBAMA CARE.

THE ACT, RIGHT.

Stephen: HAVE YOU BEEN PLACED

ON A DEATH PANEL YET?

>> NO, THERE'S NO DEATH PANELS.

Stephen: WHEN DOES THAT

START.

>> THERE WON'T BE ANY.

Stephen: HAVE YOU READ ALL OF

OBAMA CARE.

>> NO.

Stephen: YOU ADMIT YOU DON'T

KNOW WHETHER THERE ARE DEATH

PANELS.

>> THERE ARE NOT DEATH PANELS.

I'VE TALKED TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE

READ.

>> Stephen: MAYBE THEY'RE ON THE

DEATH PANELS AND THEY DON'T WANT

TO TELL YOU BECAUSE THEY'VE SAID

WE DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU HEALTH

CARE AND PUT YOU TO DEATH.

THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH

OBAMA CARE WHEN THEY GO TO THE

HOSPITAL INSTEAD TAKE THEM OFF

TO THE HUNGER GAMES AND THEY

FIGHT.

>> I DON'T THINK THAT'S IN THE

BILL.

>> Stephen: YOU DON'T THINK SO

BUT YOU DON'T KNOW.

>> I'M SURE IT'S NOT IN THE

BILL.

>> Stephen: LET'S AGREE TO

DISAGREE.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

OKAY.

THIS NEXT SUBJECT TOUCHY.

IT MIGHT DISTURB SOME VIEWERS.

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT YOU

USED TO BE A MAGICIAN.

>> YEAH, I PAID FOR COLLEGE

DOING IMAGINE IB SHOWS AND BAR

TENDING.

>> Stephen: HOW LONG WERE YOU

TURNING TRICKS?

(INAUDIBLE).

>> Stephen: WHY DID YOU STOP?

I GOT A JOB.

I STARTED A BUSINESS.

AND I GOT REAL BUSY.

>> Stephen: WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN

D.C. YOU WORK AT YOUR

SIGN-MAKING STORE WITH

PHIL-FRANK WHO IS YOUR PARTNER.

>> MY HUSBAND.

Stephen: YOU DON'T HAVE A

BUSINESS PARTNER NAMED BILL

FRANK.

>> HE'S MY HUSBAND.

Stephen: SO BUSINESS PARTNER

IS CODE FOR... DO YOU HAVE TO

GET MARRIED TO YOUR BUSINESS

PARTNER IN WISCONSIN?

>> NO.

Stephen: THAT WAS A CHOICE.

NO.

Stephen: OKAY.

IS YOUR GAY BUSINESS PARTNER OR

JUST YOUR BUSINESS PARTNER.

>> JUST MY BUSINESS PARTNER.

Stephen: THAT PART IS NOT

GAY.

>> NO.

Stephen: SO IT IS A CHOICE

WHEN YOU ARE GAY AND WHEN YOU'RE

NOT.

>> THE CHOICE TO BE BUSINESS

PARTNER IS NOT A CHOICE TO BE

GAY.

>> Stephen: THE STORY FALLING

APART A BIT HERE.

>> NO IT'S NOT.

Stephen: IN 1992 YOU

SUPPORTED A BAN ON BEAR

WRESTLING.

YOU USED TO BRING BEARS INTO

COLISEUM AND THEY WOULD GET KIND

OF DRUGGED UP AND THEN SOME

PERSON FROM THE AUDIENCE WOULD

ATTEMPT TO WRESTLE THAT BEAR.

>> Stephen: WE SHOULDN'T DRUG

THEM WHEN THEY WRESTLE.

THEY DON'T HAVE A CHANCE.

SHOULD WE GIVE THEM KNIVES?

HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FIGHT

PEOPLE.

>> WE COULD JUST LEAVE BEARS

ALONE.

>> Stephen: BUT THEY STARTED IT.

I DON'T THINK SO.

Stephen: LAST QUESTION: TELL

ME ABOUT YOUR DISTRICT.

>> IT'S JUST AN EXCEPTIONAL

PLACE.

ALL OF SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN

IS AN EXCEPTIONAL PLACE TO LIVE.

MADISON IS OUR CAPITAL CITY OF

THE STATE.

>> Stephen: I LOVE THE FARMERS

MARKET IN MADISON.

CHEESE CURDS, WHICH, NO OFFENSE,

THE GAY IS CHEESE, RIGHT?

>> IT'S A VERY POPULAR CHEESE.

Stephen: THEY SQUEAK WHEN YOU

BITE 'EM, JUST LIKE GAY PEOPLE

DO.

WHEN YOU BITE A GAY PERSON THEY

SQUEAK.

>> I THINK ANYONE WOULD SQUEAK.

Stephen: I'VE NEVER BITTEN

ANYBODY BUT GAY PEOPLE.

CONGRESSMAN, THANK SO MUCH FOR

TALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

Stephen: LET'S PUT WISCONSIN

UP ON THE BOARD.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

OH, LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE JUST GOT

BIT RIGHT ON THE CHEESE CURDS.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

THANKS, FOLKS.

NATION, IF YOU WATCH THIS SHOW,

YOU KNOW THAT I WILL DEFEND OUR

SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT TO KEEP

AND BEAR ARMS FROM ALL WHO WOULD

ATTACK IT AND THAT INCLUDES

GUNS.

FOR TOO LONG THEY HAVE DEMANDED

THAT IN ORDER FOR TO USE THEM,

YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO USE

THEM.

GET THIS.

AIM AND PULL THE TRIGGER AT THE

SAME TIME?

HOW IS MY HAND SUPPOSED TO KNOW

WHAT MY EYE IS SEEING?

IT'S TYRANNY.

THAT'S WHY I AM AS PUMPED AS A

12 GAUGE ABOUT A BREAKTHROUGH IN

SKILL-FREE KILLING.

IT'S CALLED THE TRACKING POINT

RIFLE, AND IT'S GOT ITS OWN

VIDEO.

>> TRACKING POINT INTRODUCES THE

WORLD'S FIRST PRECISION-GUIDED

FIREARM, THE NEW SHOOTING SYSTEM

THAT PUTS JET FIGHTER LOCK AND

LAUNCH TECHNOLOGY IN ARRIVAL

ENABLING ANYONE TO HIT MOVING

TARGETS AT EXTENDED RANGES.

>> Stephen: WOW!

IT'S LIKE YOU'RE A FIGHTER PILOT

TAKING OUT OSAMA BIN ANTELOPE.

HERE'S HOW TRACKING POINT'S

DIGITAL BRAIN TAKES OUT THE

TROUBLESOME HUMAN ELEMENT OF

WHERE TO AIM AND WHEN TO FIRE.

>> THE SHOOTER PRESSES THE

ATTACK BUTTON TO PAINT THE

TARGET AND PERSISTENTLY LOCK ON

REGARDLESS OF THE TARGET'S

MOVEMENT.

TRACK.

THE NETWORKD TRACKING SCOPE'S

PLACE TICK COMPUTER INSTANTLY

ACCOUNTS FOR ALL RANGE AND

ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS.

X-ACT: THE SHOOTER ALIGNS THE

RETICLE WITH THE TAG AND THEN

SQUEEZES AND HOLDS THE GUIDED

TRIGGER.

THE SYSTEM ALLOWS THE TRIGGER TO

LAUNCH THE ROUND AT THE PERFECT

MOMENT TO ENSURE IMPACT WITH

YOUR TARGET.

>> Stephen: FINALLY, A SOLUTION

TO THE AGE-OLD PROBLEM:

SOMETIMES THE ANIMAL STANDS A

CHANCE.

BECAUSE, FOLKS, THE TRACKING

POINT WILL TAKE DOWN GAME AT

EXTREME DISTANCES BECAUSE THE

SMART SCOPE TAKES EVERYTHING

INTO CONSIDERATION INCLUDING

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS.

>> TYPICAL HOT ELEMENT INCLUDE

WIND SPEED, PRESSURE AND

TEMPERATURE.

>> Stephen: SO WHEN YOU SHOOT A

WILDEBEEST AND THEN HAVE TO

CROSS A TIME ZONE TO GO PICK IT

UP, YOU'LL KNOW WHETHER TO PACK

AN UMBRELLA.

PLUS THE TRACKING POINT SCOPE

COMES COMPLETE WITH ITS OWN

BUILT-IN WI-FI SERVER.

NOW YOU'LL BE ABLE TO CONTINUE

TO TRACK YOUR PREY EVEN IF IT

LEAVES THE STARBUCKS.

AND, FOLKS, IT'S THAT...

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

AND THAT INTERNET CONNECTIVITY

FINALLY FULFILLS THE TRUE

PROMISE OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT.

LETTING YOUR GUN MAKE FACEBOOK

FRIENDS.

>> YOUR NETWORK TRACKING SCOPE

RECORDS EACH SHOT SEQUENCE AND

TAKES PHOTOS OF EACH TAG, SHOT

AND RESULT.

HIT THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON AND YOUR

VIDEOS ONPHOTOS ON THE NETWORK

TRACKING SCOPE WILL TRANSFER

INTO YOUR PHONE.

YOU CAN THEN GO TO YOUR PHOTO

BROWSER AND EMAIL, TEXT, TWEET

OR SHARE VIA SOCIAL MEDIA.

>> Stephen: YOU CAN POST A

PICTURE OF YOU MAKING A DUCK

FACE WHILE YOUR GUN POSTS A

PICTURE OF YOU BLOWING OFF A

DUCK'S FACE.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

AND, OF COURSE, THE CUTTING-EDGE

TECH EXTENDS TO SAFETY FEATURES,

TOO, BECAUSE YOU CAN PASSWORD

PROTECT YOUR SCOPE TOTALLY SAFE

BECAUSE WITHOUT A PASSWORD, YOUR

GUN CANNOT DO THE TAG TRACK

EXACT AND WILL MERELY STILL

OPERATE AS A FIREARM.

SO DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD

OR YOU'LL ONLY BE ABLE TO KILL

STUFF YOU CAN SEE.

NOW, ONE DOWNSIDE TO THE

TRACKING POINT RIFLE IS THAT IT

COSTS UP TO $22,000 SO IT IS

SLIGHTLY MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IF

YOU'D JUST TAKEN OUT A MAFIA

CONTRACT ON A GAZELLE.

BUT... THAT'S A NERVOUS GAZELLE.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

BUT I HAVE A BIGGER ISSUE WITH

THE TRACKING POINT, FOLKS.

SURE IT MAKES KILLING ANIMALS AS

EASY AS POINTING AT THEM.

BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO STAND UP

AND GO OUTSIDE AND THAT'S MORE

EFFORT THAN I LIKE TO GIVE MY

OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES.

SO I'M CALLING ON THE GOOD FOLKS

AT TRACKING POINT TO DEVELOP A

PRECISION-GUIDED FIREARM THAT

CAN PRECISION GUIDE ITSELF TO

WHERE THE ANIMALS ARE.

LEAVE ME OUT OF IT.

I'M THINKING MAYBE ARRIVAL

HOT-GLUED TO A ROOMBA.

A BOOMBA, IF YOU WILL.

BUT PLEASE KEEP THE VACUUMING

FEATURE BECAUSE I WANT IT TO BE

A CLEAN

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE LONGEST

SERVING CONGRESSMAN IN AMERICAN

HISTORY.

I'M GOING TO ASK HIM WITH WHAT

EISENHOWER SMELLED LIKE.

PLEASE WELCOME JOHN DINGELL.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

JOHN DINGELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR BEING HERE.

SIT DOWN, SIR.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU HERE.

THIS IS AN HISTORIC WEEK FOR

AMERICA.

>> THANK YOU, STEPHEN.

Stephen: YOU'RE WELCOME.

YOU ARE WHAT THEY CALL THE DEAN

OF THE HOUSE, KIND OF HISTORY,

THE MEMORY OF THE HOUSE OF

REPRESENTATIVES BECAUSE IS IT

THIS FRIDAY...

>> THIS FRIDAY.

Stephen: ... YOU'LL BECOME

THE LONGEST SERVING MEMBER OF

CONGRESS IN HISTORY.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> IF I WERE PRESIDENT I'D BE

CALLED THE FATHER OF THE HOUSE.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

BUT YOU'RE NOT.

>> I'M NOT.

Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE IN 1955 WHEN

YOU STARTED IN THE CONGRESS.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE FOR A FRESHMAN

BACK THEN.

>> WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE SEEN

AND NOT HEARD.

BUT ON TOP OF THAT, I WALKED IN

THE DAY THEY WERE HAVING A

COMMEMORATION OF MY DAD'S

SERVICE.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE YOUR FATHER

REPRESENTED THE SAME DISTRICT

BEFORE YOU DID.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

SO I HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF

GETTING UP AND THANKING HIS

FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES OF WHOM

HE HAD MANY IN THE CONGRESS ON

BOTH SIDES OF THE AISLE.

>> Stephen: WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?

IT HAPPENS, STEPHEN, IT DID.

Stephen: WE CURED THAT.

(LAUGHING).

Stephen: BUT GO AHEAD.

I HAD THE PRIVILEGE OF

TELLING THEM HOW DAD WOULD HAVE

FELT TO HEAR THEM SAYING THESE

THINGS ABOUT HIM, HOW GRATEFUL I

WAS TO THEM FOR THEIR

REMEMBERING MY DAD AND ALSO HOW

GRATEFUL I WAS TO THEM FOR

WELCOMING ME TO SUCCEED WHAT I

THOUGHT WAS ONE OF THE GREAT

AMERICANS.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE IMPLYING THAT

REPUBLICANS -- YOU'RE A

DEMOCRAT.

>> YES.

Stephen: DID YOU RUN AS A

DEMOCRAT OR YOU A WHIG OR A BULL

MOOSE BACK THEN?

BECAUSE THE PARTIES HAVE CHANGED

OVER THE YEARS.

THE PARTIES HAVE CHANGED OVER

THE YEARS.

>> THEY HAVE.

THEY HAVE.

>> Stephen: YOU ALWAYS RAN AS A

DEMOCRAT.

>> I GOT MY DEMOCRACY WITH MY

MOTHER'S MILK.

I AM A DEMOCRAT.

>> Stephen: IT'S A FAMILY SHOW.

IT'S A FAMILY SHOW.

I THINK WE HAVE TO DELETE THAT

PART.

BUT YOU WERE ACTUALLY IN

WASHINGTON BECAUSE YOU WERE

THERE BEFORE 1955.

WHAT YEAR DID YOU ACTUALLY GO TO

WASHINGTON.

>> IN 1933 WHEN DAD WAS SWORN IN

IN THE HOUSE.

>> Stephen: HOW OLD WERE YOU AT

THE TIME.

>> I WAS SIX.

Stephen: SIX YEARS OLD IN

WASHINGTON D.C.

HOW HOW YOUNG ARE YOU NOW?

>> 86.

Stephen: 86.

FOR 80 YEARS YOU'VE BEEN IN

WASHINGTON.

WHAT'S THE BIGGEST CHANGE YOU'VE

SEEN IN 80 YEARS IN WASHINGTON?

>> I THINK LOSS OF COLLEGIALITY.

Stephen: WHAT IS

COLLEGIALITY?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

>> GOOD WILL.

GOOD HUMOR.

A WILLINGNESS TO WORK TOGETHER.

FRIENDLINESS.

>> Stephen: BUT A WILLINGNESS TO

WORK TOGETHER IMPLIES TO ME THAT

YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN YOUR

POSITION, THAT YOU HAVE A

POSITION AND OPPOSE YOUR

POSITION.

NOW, LISTEN.

IF YOU HAVE A POSITION ON A LAW

OR SOME ACTION OF CONGRESS AND I

HAVE A DIFFERENT POSITION, IF I

WANT SOMETHING ELSE TO HAPPEN,

IF I GIVE YOU AN INCH, I'M

TOTALLY WRONG.

IF YOU'RE RIGHT AT ALL, I'M

TOTALLY WRONG.

AND THE PROOF OF MY RIGHTNESS IS

YOUR COMPLETE WRONGNESS.

>> I DISAGREE.

Stephen: YOU DISAGREE.

YOU'RE TOTALLY WRONG FOR

DISAGREEING WITH ME.

>> WELL, THERE ARE 435 OF US

UNDER THE CONSTITUTION WHO WERE

SENT TO WASHINGTON AND WE'RE

TOLD TO WORK OUT AND TO SOLVE

GREAT PROBLEMS OF THE NATION AND

TO WORK FOR THE PEOPLE WE SERVE.

AND AT SOME POINT IN THE MIDDLE

OR SOMEWHERE THERE IS A POINT

WHERE WE COULD COME TO AN

HONORABLE AGREEMENT.

COMPROMISE IS AN HONORABLE WORD.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: YOU MEAN COMPROMISE

ON HISTORIC LEGISLATION, WHAT

ARE THE ACHIEVEMENTS OR WHAT ARE

THE THINGS THAT YOU WERE PART

OF, THE BILLS THAT WERE PASSED

THAT YOU'RE MOST PROUD OF.

>> THE SINGLE ONE IS 1964 CIVIL

RIGHTS ACT.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

WE STOPPED THE NATION FROM BEING

TORN APART.

AND JUST A FEW YEARS LATER IF WE

LOOK WE CAN SEE IN THE WHITE

HOUSE WE HAVE AN

AFRICAN-AMERICAN WHO WOULDN'T

HAVE BEEN ABLE TO VOTE IN MANY

STATES BEFORE WE PASSED THAT

LEGISLATION.

>> Stephen: THAT BRINGS ME TO

ONE OF MY BIGGEST BEEFS WITH

YOU.

AFRICAN-AMERICANS GET THE RIGHT

TO VOTE.

I'M NOT A BAD GUY.

I'M A GOOD GUY.

BUT YOU'VE BEEN IN CONGRESS

LONGER THAN HAWAII HAS HAD A

CONGRESSMAN.

>> AND LONGER THAN ALASKA.

Stephen: LONGER THAN ALASKA

TOO.

DID YOU VOTE IN CONGRESS TO

INCLUDE HAWAII?

>> YES.

Stephen: SO WE CAN BLAME

OBAMA ON YOU.

>> (LAUGHING) STEPHEN, WOULD YOU

GIVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER A

LITTLE CREDIT.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE THE FATHER

OF THE HOUSE.

CONGRESSMAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR JOINING ME.

MICHIGAN REPRESENTATIVE JOHN

DINGELL.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

THAT'S IT FOR THE REPORT,

EVERYBODY.

WE

Loading...