January 10, 2012 - Bill Moyers

  • Episode: 08041
  • (0)

Mitt Romney takes heat for a firing gaffe, conservative pundits attack White House celebrations, and Bill Moyers considers corporate personhood a threat to democracy.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: THANK YOU, LADIES

AND GENTLEMEN.

WELCOME TO "THE REPORT."

THANK YOU

[AUDIENCE CHANTING "STEPHEN"]

COME ON.

REALLY?

I TELL YOU, FOLKS, I COULDN'T

HAVE SEEN THAT COMING.

[LAUGHTER]

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US,

EVERYBODY.

NATION, HUGE NIGHT.

THE NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY IS

FINALLY HERE.

NOW, I DON'T KNOW WHO WON.

NORMALLY I BROADCAST LIVE AT

11:30, BUT ONCE AGAIN I AM

TAPING MY SHOW AT 7:00,

SACRIFICING REPORTING THE

RESULTS OF THE ALL-IMPORTANT NEW

HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY SO I CAN GET

AN EARLY START PREPARING FOR THE

EVEN ALLER-IMPORTANT SOUTH

CAROLINA PRIMARY, WHICH MOST

EXPERTS AGREE IS EXTREMELY NEXT.

[LAUGHTER]

IT IS JUST TWO WEEKS AWAY, WHICH

MEANS I HAVE TO GET HOME TO PUT

MY PIG IN THE SMOKER TONIGHT.

[LAUGHTER]

THE SECRET TO MY SAUCE IS TO AGE

IT UNDER A WANING MOON.

NONE OF THAT NORTH CAROLINA

WAXING MOON BULL [BLEEPED].

IT TAINTS THE MEAT, PARTICULARLY

THE TAINT MEAT.

NOW, BESIDES, I CAN ALREADY CALL

NEW HAMPSHIRE.

IT WAS OVER AT MIDNIGHT WHEN THE

TOWN OF DIXVILLE NOTCH,

POPULATION NINE, ANNOUNCED THEIR

RETURNS.

>> WE HAVE A COUNT, AND IT GOES

AS FOLLOWS: TWO VOTES FOR JON

HUNTSMAN AND TWO VOTES FOR MITT

ROMNEY.

IT'S A TIE.

MITT ROMNEY WITH TWO, JON

HUNTSMAN WITH TWO.

>> Stephen: A 2-2 TIE.

UNPRECEDENTED.

AND REMEMBER, THE WINNER OF THE

DIXVILLE NOTCH HAS GONE ON TO BE

THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE IN EVERY

ELECTION SINCE 1960, WHICH MUST

MEAN THAT THE 2012 REPUBLICAN

NOMINEE WILL BE MITT ROMNEY AND

JON HUNTSMAN STITCHED TOGETHER

IN A HUMAN CENTI-G-O-PEDE.

[LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE]

YOU SEE, THE BACK CANDIDATE IS

STITCHED ON TO THE FRONT ONE'S

LET'S SAY DIXVILLE NOTCH.

THE QUESTION IS, AND IT'S THE

ONLY QUESTION, WHO WILL BE THE

HEAD?

THE SMART MUST BE'S ON ROMNEY.

ACTUALLY, ALL THE MONEY'S ON

ROMNEY.

IN FACT, ROMNEY'S ONLY GOT ONE

TINY VULNERABILITY, THE YEARS HE

SPENT AS A HEARTLESS CORPORATE

RAIDER AT BAIN CAPITAL

EXTRACTING MILLIONS FROM

TROUBLED COMPANIES BY TAKING

THEM OVER, FIRING THEIR WORK

FORECAST AND THEN CHOPPING THEM

UP TO SELL THE PIECES TO THE

HIGHEST BIDDER WITH NO REGARD

FOR THE LIVES DESTROYED.

[LAUGHTER]

BUT THAT'S ALL THE PAST.

MITT WILL BREEZE TO THE WHITE

HOUSE AS LONG AS HE NEVER

REMINDS VOTERS WHAT BAIN CAPITAL

DID.

>> I LIKE BEING ABLE TO FIRE

PEOPLE THAT PROVIDE SERVICES TO

ME.

[SCRATCHING RECORD NOISE]

>> Stephen: WHAT?

[SCRATCHING RECORD NOISE]

GLAD I HAD MY TURNTABLE HERE.

BOY, ROMNEY REALLY STUCK HIS

FOOT IN HIS MOUTH WITH THIS ONE,

WHICH IS THE SPICIEST THING HE'S

EATEN IN YEARS.

AND, OF COURSE, OF COURSE THE

MEDIA AND THE OTHER CANDIDATES

HAVE JUMPED ON MITT LIKE NEWT

GINGRICH ON A YOUNGER, HEALTHIER

WIFE.

[APPLAUSE]

JIM?

>> ON A DAY THAT'S PRETTY

IMPORTANT FOR THE ROMNEY

CAMPAIGN, HE MAKES ONE OF THE

BIGGEST GAFFES POSSIBLE AND

JOKES ABOUT HOW MUCH HE ENJOYS

FIRING PEOPLE.

>> IT'S A DEEPER COMMENT ABOUT

HOW HE THINKS.

>> IT GIVES THE IMPRESSION THAT

HE SEARCHLY DOES NOT CAREMENT

>> GOVERNOR ROMNEY ENJOYS FIRING

PEOPLE.

I ENJOY CREATING JOBS.

>> HUNTSMANS DOES HAVE A GOOD

TRACK RECORD THERE.

FOR TWO YEARS HE WAS AMBASSADOR

TO CHINA, AND THEY'VE ADDED

MILLIONS OFFING JOBS.

BUT FOLKS, THESE ATTACKS ARE

UNFAIR.

AS ROMNEY EXPLAINS.

>> THINGS CAN ALWAYS BE TAKEN

OUT OF CONTEXT, BUT AS YOU KNOW,

I WAS SPEAKING ABOUT INSURANCE

COMPANIES.

>> Stephen: YES, MITT WAS

TALKING ABOUT GIVING INDIVIDUAL

CITIZENS THE RIGHT THE FIRE

THEIR INSURANCE COMPANIES, WHICH

WOULD HURT THOSE COMPANIES

PROFIT, MAKING THEM VULNERABLE

TO TAKEOVER.

THEN MITT COULD ENJOY FIRING

THOSE PEOPLE.

IN CONTEXT.

AND THIS TAKING ROMNEY'S WORDS

ABOUT INSURANCE OUT OF CONTEXT

IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN WHEN

ROMNEY PUT OUT AN AD TAKING

OBAMA'S WORDS ABOUT JOHN

McCAIN OUT OF CONTEXT LAST

NOVEMBER.

THAT WAS FAIR.

AS ROMNEY EXPLAINED.

>> WHAT'S SAUCE FOR THE GOOSE IS

NOW SAUCE FOR THE GANDER.

>> Stephen: YES, SAUCE FOR THE

GOOSE IS NOW SAUCE FOR THE

GRANDER.

OKAY.

AND EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T PUT

GANDER SAUCE BACK ON THE GOOSE.

IT'S ALL GANDER-Y NOW.

IF A CHEF DID THAT TO ROMNEY'S

GOOSE, HE WOULD FIRE HIM.

AND ENJOY IT.

[LAUGHTER]

NATION, I'M IN NO POSITION TO

JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE.

NOW I AM.

[LAUGHTER]

THIS IS "TIP OF THE HAT, WAG OF

THE FINGER."

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

FOLKS, WHOEVER GETS THE

REPUBLICAN NOMINATION IS GOING

TO WORK HARD TO OVERTURN OBAMA

OBAMACARE.

NOW, OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE ARE SICK

OUT THERE, SO WHAT DO WE DO?

LUCKILY REPUBLICAN CANDIDATE

RICK SANTORUM HAS THE RIGHT

PERSPECTIVE.

AT A RECENT CAMPAIGN STOP,

SANTORUM WAS ASKED HOW HE FEELS

ABOUT THE "50,000 AMERICANS WHO

DIE EVERY YEAR WITH NO HEALTH

CARE."

WELL, RICK LOOKED DEEP INSIDE

AND SAID, "I REJECT THAT NUMBER

COMPLETELY, THAT PEOPLE DIE IN

AMERICA BECAUSE OF LACK OF

HEALTH INSURANCE.

PEOPLE DIE IN AMERICA BECAUSE

PEOPLE DIE IN AMERICA."

YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT LOGIC

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH

THAT LOGIC.

BUT CLEARLY, FOLKS, THERE IS

STILL A PROBLEM WITH ALL THESE

PEOPLE DYING.

WHICH IS WHY I'M ISSUING A WAG

OF MY FINGER AT DEAD PEOPLE.

[LAUGHTER]

FOR DISRESPECTING THE SANCTITY

OF LIFE BY CHOOSING TO BE DEAD.

HEY, I GOT NOTHING AGAINST DEAD

PEOPLE.

I COME FROM A LONG LINE OF DEAD

PEOPLE.

HELL, SOME OF MY BEST FRIENDS

ARE DEAD.

BUT WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH, THE

DEAD NEED TO TAKE SOME PERSONAL

RESPONSIBILITY.

AS SANTORUM CONTINUED, PEOPLE

MAKE POOR DECISIONS WITH RESPECT

TO THEIR HEALTH AND THEIR HEALTH

CARE, AND THEY DON'T GO TO THE

EMERGENCY ROOM OR THEY DON'T GO

TO THE DOCTOR WHEN THEY NEED TO.

YET IF YOU'RE DYING OF CANCER,

IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT FOR NOT

GOING TO THE DOCTOR, AND IF YOU

CAN'T GO TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE

YOU DON'T HAVE INSURANCE, THEN

IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT FOR NOT

HAVING A JOB.

AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB

BECAUSE YOU'RE DYING OF CANCER,

GET YOURSELF TO A DOCTOR.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

OTHER...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

OTHER THAN THE CANCER OBVIOUSLY.

[LAUGHTER]

WE HAVE A SERIOUS HEALTH CARE

PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY, FOLKS,

AND DEAD PEOPLE ARE NOT MAKING

IT ANY BETTER BY BURYING THEIR

HEADS AND THE REST OF THEM IN

THE SAND.

I SAY THESE SO-CALLED SICK

PEOPLE DYING JUST A WAY TO GET

US TO WANT OBAMACARE.

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY.

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CALL THEM

"CEMETERY PLOTS"?

FINALLY, FOLKS, I HAVE HAD IT UP

TO HERE WITH OUR OVERLY

SENSITIVE, PRIME MINISTER C.

CULTURE, AND BUT UP TO HERE I

MEAN THE AVERAGE HEIGHT OF A

GUATEMALAN.

[LAUGHTER]

ABOUT RIGHT.

YEAH.

THAT'S WHY I WAS SO ANGRY WHEN I

HEARD THIS:

>> PAPA JOHN'S PIZZERIA IN NEW

YORK FIRED THE CASHIER OVER THIS

RACIST RECEIPT.

IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY, YOU CAN

ACTUALLY SEE HOW AN ASIAN

AMERICAN CUSTOMER IS IDENTIFIED

AS "LADY CHINKY EYES."

>> Stephen: REALLY?

THEY FIRED THE CASHIER FOR THAT?

[LAUGHTER]

YES, SHE CALLED HER "CHINKY

EYE," BUT LADY CHINKY EYES.

THAT'S A SIGN OF RESPECT IN THE

ORIENT.

ALL PAPA JOHNS WAS TRYING TO DO

WAS MAKE SURE THE PIZZA GOT TO

THE RIGHT CUSTOMER.

IF THEY HADN'T PUTTEN LADY

CHINKY EYE, IT MIGHT HAVE ENDED

UP IN THE HANDS OF COUNTESS

TOTAL LESBO OR ADMIRAL SPIC

BUTT.

I'M GIVING A BIG TIP OF MY HAT

TO PAPA JOHN'S FOR PUTTING

SERVICE BEFORE SENSITIVITY.

CALLING HER LADY CHINKY EYES IS

NO MORE CULTURALLY INSENSITIVE

THAN CALLING PAPA JOHN'S ITALIAN

FOOD.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

BESIDES... THAT WAS GOOD.

THAT WAS GOOD.

BESIDES, MISS CHINKY EYES WAS

ASKING FOR IT.

JUST LOOK AT HER REAL NAME,

MINHEE CHO.

"MINHEE," REALLY?

YOU'RE TELLING ME THAT'S NOT

PLAYING INTO THE

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

NATION, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

FOLKS, NATION, MORE ON NEW

HAMPSHIRE IN A MOMENT, BUT

FIRST, WE TURN TO THE SCANDAL

ENGULFING THE OBAMA WHITE HOUSE,

A NEW BOOK OMINOUSLY CALLED "THE

OBAMAS."

IT HAS REVEALED A SHOCKING

SECRET FROM 2009 THE PRESIDENT

DOES NOT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT.

>> NEW CONTROVERSY OVER AN

"ALICE IN WONDERLAND"-THEMED

HALLOWEEN PARTY AT 1600

PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE.

>> JOHNNY DEPP WAS STANDING AT A

TABLE AT THIS PARTY GREETING

GUESTS DRESS AS THE MAD HATTER.

>> THEY'RE HAVING "ALICE IN

WONDERLAND" PARTIES O WHEN THE

UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS 9.9% IN THE

COUNTRY.

>> THIS BIG, DECEDENT,

HOLLYWOODESQUE-TYPE HENRY VIII

BASH.

>> APPARENTLY THE PEOPLE AT THE

PARTY WERE DRINKING PUNCH OUT OF

BLOOD VILES.

>> IT WAS SO EXEXTRAVAGANT GANTT

THAT GUESTS DRANK FRUIT PUNCH

FROM BLOOD VILES.

>> Stephen: THIS PARTY WAS SO

EXTRAVAGANT THAT MANAGED TO

ANGER NOT ONE BUT TWO DOOCYS.

TWEEDLE DEE AND TWEEDLE DOOCE.

[APPLAUSE]

BUT WHY?

WHY, FOLKS?

I ASK YOU, WHY ARE THESE OBSCENE

DETAILS COMING TO LIGHT ONLY

NOW?

>> THE WHITE HOUSE WENT OUT OF

THE WAY TO COVER THIS UP, TO

KEEP THIS QUIET.

>> THEY COVERED IT ALL UP

BECAUSE OF THE PERCEPTION THAT

IT LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE HAVING

A GOOD OLD TIME AT TAXPAYERS'

EXPENSE.

>> HERE WE ARE WITH WHAT'S A

MINICOFFERUP, IF YOU WILL, SO TO

SPEAK.

>> YES, AN OLD-FASHIONED HUSH

JOB, IF YOU WERE, SO TO SPEAK

AND AS YOU WERE.

AND THIS MALICE IN BLUNDERLAND

CONTINUES TO DEAFEN.

OH, OH.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

TRADEMARK.

OH.

AND DID WHITE HOUSE SPOKESMAN

ERIC SCHULTZ CRANK UP THE SPIN

MACHINE, SAYING, "IF WE WANTED

THIS EVENT TO BE SECRET, WE

PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE INVITED

THE PRESS CORPSES TO COVER IT,

RELEASE PHOTOS ON FLICKR AND

RELEASE VIDEO ON THE WHITE HOUSE

WEB SITE.

WELL, THAT'S JUST HIDING IN

PLAIN SIGHT.

THAT'S THE OLDEST TRICK IN THE

BOOK.

OF COURSE, ALL OF THIS BEGS THE

OBVIOUS QUESTION.

>> IF WE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS,

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON IN THERE

THAT WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT?

>> THAT'S A LEGITIMATE QUESTION.

>> Stephen: YES, IT IS.

AND, FOLKS, I HAVE HEARD

DISTURBING RUMORS THAT EVERY

YEAR THEY HOLD A PAGAN DRUIDIC

TREE-LIGHTING CEREMONY, AND LAST

YEAR IT WAS HOSTED BY A

TRANSLEWIS -- TRANSLEWIS NT FIRE

GIANT.

DANGEROUS MAN.

BUT, FOLKS, ONE DETAIL OF THIS

HALLOWEEN PARTY THAT HAS ANGERED

ME EVEN MORE THAN THE FACT IT

WAS HELD FOR THE CHILDREN OF OUR

MILITARY IS THE FACT THAT THE

ORIGINAL CHEWBACCA MINGLED WITH

INVITED GUESTS.

WHAT THE HELL IS CHEWIE DOING IN

WONDERLAND?

CHEWBACCA, CHEWBACCA WOULD NEVER

SIP TEA OR PLAY CROQUET USING

FLAMINGOS AS MALLETS.

THAT IS SO NOT CANAAN.

HE IS A FEROCIOUS WOOKIEE

SMUGGLER WHO TRAVELS THE GALAXY,

NEVER LEAVING HAN SOLO'S SIDE

FOR THE LIFE DEBT WHEN HAN

REFUSED TO KILL CHEWIE AT

IMPERIAL COMMAND.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE QUEEN OF

HEARTS TRY TO EXECUTION

CHEWBACCA WITH ONE SNAP OF THOSE

MIGHTY PAWS.

IT WOULD BE OFF WITH HER HEAD.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

PLUS, PLUS... PLUS WHEN WOULD HE

FIND TIME TO LEAVE HIS HOME

WORLD OF KASHYYYK.

TO JOIN THE MAD HADDER AT THE

WHITE HOUSE.

HE DOESN'T EVEN CELEBRATE

HALLOWEEN.

HE CELEBRATES LIFE DAY WITH HIS

FATHER ITCHY, HIS WIFE MALLA AND

HIS SON LUMPY.

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH GEORGE LUCAS

WANTS US TO FORGET 1978'S "THE

STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL.

" SO THESE PEOPLE KNOW THAT.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

[RECORD SCRATCHES PAWRNS

ALWAYS THERE.

SO... IF ANY OBAMA VOTERS ARE

STILL CLINGING TO THEIR SUPPORT

OF THIS MAN, CONSIDER THIS: YOUR

PRESIDENT USED HIS HOLLYWOOD

CONNECTIONS TO THROW A HALLOWEEN

PARTY FOR OUR TROOPS' KIDS AND

THEN TOLD US ABOUT IT.

AND IF THAT BEING A SCANDAL

DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO YOU, LET

ME PUT IT IN MORE UNDERSTANDABLE

WORDS:

'TWAS BRILLIG, AND THE

SLITHY TOVES DID GYRE AND GIMBLE

IN THE WABE.

ALL MIMSY WERE THE BOROGOVES AND

THE MOME RATHS OUTGRABE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

CK,

FOLKS, MY GUEST TONIGHT HAS A

NEW INTERVIEW SHOW CALLED

"MOYERS AND COMPANY."

I HOPE THAT MEANS HE'S

INTERVIEWING CORPORATIONS.

PLEASE WELCOME BILL MOYERS.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

MR. MOYERS, THANKS SO MUCH FOR

COMING ON.

I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO MEET YOU.

>> SAME HERE.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

WELL, I HAVE ENJOYED YOUR WORK

EVER SINCE THE JOSEPH CAMPBELL

INTERVIEWS YOU DID.

>> 25 YEARS AGO.

>> Stephen: 25 YEARS AGO.

THAT'S HOW I FOUND OUT THEY WAS

THE HERO WITH 1,000 FACES.

NOW, SIR, WE'VE GOT THE

PLEASANTRIES OUT OF THE WAY.

IT'S HAMMER TIME.

ALL RIGHT.

>> HAMMER AWAY.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE OFTEN

CONSIDERED LIKE THE REASONABLE

MAN'S REASONABLE MAN.

[LAUGHTER]

>> SOMEBODY HAS TO DO IT.

>> Stephen: RIGHT.

YOU KEEP A CALM VOICE.

YOU NEVER ATTACK THE GUESTS ON

YOUR SHOWS.

[LAUGHTER]

AND I'M HERE TO CALL BULL

[BLEEPED].

OKAY.

IT'S ALL AN ACT.

YOU SANDBAG AND SHIFT PEOPLE

WITH CALMNESS AND FACTS.

HOW IS THAT ANY BETTER THAN WHAT

I DO?

>> YOU'RE FROM THE SOUTH.

YOU MUST KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

BETWEEN A HOOT OWL AND A SCROOCH

OWL.

THE HOOT OWL CRASHES INTO THE

HEN HOUSE, KNOCKS THE HEN OFF

THE PERCH, CATCHES IT.

THE SCOOCH OWL COMES IN QUIETLY,

GEMMILY, SNUGGLES UP NEXT TO THE

HEN, STARTS TALKING GENTLY TO

THE HEN.

THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW, THERE

AIN'T NO HEN.

I PREFER THAT.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: I WOULD LIKE THE

SEE YOU AND DAN RATHER IN A

FOLKSY-OFF.

I THINK YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO

TAKE HIM.

YOU USED TO HAVE A SHOW CALL

"BILL MOYERS JOURNAL" FIRST IN

THE '70s AND THEN FROM 2007 TO

2010.

THEN YOU HAD "NOW WITH

BILL

Moyers."

YOU WERE A SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO

PRESIDENT JOHNSON, INCLUDING TWO

YEARS AS THE WHITE HOUSE PRESS

SECRETARY.

WHEN YOU WERE PRESS SECRETARY,

DID YOU AT ANY MOMENT WITHHOLD

INFORMATION FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

PEACE CORPSES OR DID ST. MOYERS

ALWAYS GO WITH THE TRUTH?

>> I USED TO HOLD INFORMATION

FROM THE PRESIDENT.

THAT'S MUCH MORE DANGEROUS.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

YOU'RE THE REASON VIETNAM

FAILED.

YOU WOULD JUST TOLD HIM IT WAS A

QUAGMIRE, I'M SURE JOHNSON WOULD

HAVE PULLED HIM OUT.

>> OUR CREDIBILITY WAS IS BAD WE

COULDN'T BELIEVE OUR OWN LEAKS.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Stephen: I LIKE THE OWL ONE

BETTER.

OKAY.

SO NOW YOU HAVE A NEW SHOW

CALLED "MOYERS AND COMPANY."

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THE NEW

SHOW?

>> IT'S A LOOK AT AMERICA

THROUGH THE EXPERIENCES OF A LOT

OF PEOPLE WHO DON'T MAKE IT ON

MOST TELEVISION SHOWS, FOR

EXAMPLE, "THIS THIS WEEK I HAVE THE

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND DR. WATSON

OF POLITICAL SCIENCE, JACOB

PACKER OF YALE AND PAUL PIERCE

TALKING ABOUT HOW WASHINGTON

SERVED THE RICH IN THE LAST 30

YEARS AND TURNED ITS BACK ON THE

MIDDLE CLASS.

>> Stephen: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT.

DON'T YOU MEAN THE CREATIVE

CLASS?

YOU MEAN THEY HAVE SERVED THE

JOB CREATORS OF THIS COUNTRY, OR

DON'T YOU BELIEVE THAT WE NEED

CAPITALISM TO CREATE JOBS?

>> ABSOLUTELY DO, BUT CAPITALISM

IS OUT OF CONTROL THANKS IN NO

SMALL PART TO CITIZENS UNITED,

THE SUPREME COURT DECISION THAT

SAID THAT A CORPORATION IS A

PERSON, EVEN THOUGH I DOESN'T

EAT, DRINK, MAKE LOVE, SING,

RAISE CHILDREN OR TAKE CARE OF

AGING PARENTS.

YOU CANNOT HAVE A PEOPLE'S

DEMOCRACY AS LONG AS

CORPORATIONS ARE CONSIDERED

PEOPLE.

THEY'RE JUST PRIVATE

INSTITUTIONS.

>> Stephen: DO YOU

UNDERSTAND... DO YOU

UNDERSTAND...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

EXCUSE ME.

GIVE ME TIME TO NAIL HIM FIRST.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU SOUND

LIKE A RACIST.

THAT SOUTHERN ACCENT IS NOT

HELPING YOU.

OKAY.

YOU'RE SAYING THAT SOME PEOPLE,

BECAUSE CORPORATIONS HAVE BEEN

PEOPLE SINCE 1886, SANTA CLARA,

SOUTHERN PACIFIC RAILROAD.

AM I GOING TOO FAST FOR YOU,

DAD.

AND YOU'RE SAYING THAT SOME

PEOPLE JUST AREN'T PEOPLE IN THE

EYES OF BILL MOYERS?

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: OH, YEAH, SURE.

LET ME ASK YOU, DO ANY OF THESE

"NOT PEOPLE" FUND YOUR SHOW,

BILL?

>> ONE OF THEM WHO IS FULL OF

GOOD PEOPLE FUNDS MY SHOW.

MUTUAL OF AMERICA HAS BEEN MY

SOLE CORPORATE FUNDER FOR 25

YEARS.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE BITING THAT

HAND THAT FUNDS YOU.

>> THEY DON'T SEEM TO COMPLAIN.

>> Stephen: LET'S TALK ABOUT

WHERE POLITICS IS GOING IN THE

UNITED STATES.

YOU SAY CORPORATIONS HAVE UNDUE

INFLUENCE OVER OUR GOVERNMENT,

TRUE?

>> TRUE.

>> THEY TONE GOVERNMENT.

>> Stephen: THEY DON'T OWN THE

GOVERNMENT.

THEY JUST EXPRESS THEIR OPINION

THROUGH THE SPEECH THAT IS CASH.

[LAUGHTER]

OKAY.

AGAIN, THAT'S ANOTHER PART OF

THE CITIZENS UNITED RULING.

MONEY EQUALS SPEECH.

I'VE GOT SOME GREAT NEWS FOR

CORPORATIONS' RIGHT TO SPEAK

BECAUSE WE JUST GOT THIS IN.

MITT ROMNEY HAS WON THE NEW

HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY.

35.6%.

MITT ROMNEY FAMOUSLY SAID THIS

SUMMER, "CORPORATIONS ARE

PEOPLE," MY FRIEND.

>> A FRIEND OF MINE IN TEXAS

SAID HE WILL BELIEVE

CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE WHEN

TEXAS EXECUTES ONE.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: SO YOU'RE RACIST

AND BLOOD THIRSTY.

BILL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING US.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

BILL MOYERS.

"MOYERS AND COMPANY."

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LISTINGS ON

PUBLIC TELEVISION.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FOR "THE

Loading...