July 21, 2011 - David Eagleman

  • Episode: 07094
  • (0)

California passes a law requiring public schools to teach gay history, NBC loves breasts, and neuroscientist David Eagleman discusses the secret lives of the brain.

>> TONIGHT, SHOULD STUDENTS BE

TAUGHT GAY HISTORY?

ONLY IF THEY'RE TEACHING THAT

GAY IS HISTORY.

[LAUGHTER]

THEN A CONTROVERSY AT THE "TODAY

SHOW."

THE COOKING SEGMENT GOT OUT OF

CONTROL AND THEY ATE MATT LAUER.

AND MY GUEST WILL DISCUSS HIS

BOOK "INCOGNITO: THE SECRET

LIVES OF THE BRAIN."

IF I FIND OUT MY BRAIN HAS BEEN

SEEING ANOTHER SKULL, I WILL BE

PISSED.

YOU SAY POTATO, I SAY WHO ARE

YOU AND WHY ARE YOU SAYING

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

[AWED -- AUDIENCE CHANTING

"STEPHEN"]

>> Stephen: WELCOME TO "THE

REPORT."

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU.

WELCOME TO "THE REPORT."

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THANK YOU

FOR JOINING US.

YOU KNOW, SOMETIMES I AM TEMPTED

TO KEEP YOU PEOPLE FROM

CHANTING, BUT THEN I THINK, WHY

WASTE YOUR BREATH MOANING?

NOTHING CAN BE DONE TO STOP THE

SHOUTING.

NATION, THANK YOU FOR PICKING ME

UP WITH THAT CHEERING, BECAUSE

THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT A DARK

TIME FOR AMERICA.

PARTLY BECAUSE IT'S NIGHT.

[LAUGHTER]

BUT ALSO BECAUSE THIS MORNING

AMERICA'S MANNED SPACE PROGRAM

CAME TO AN END WHEN THE SHUTTLE

"ATLANTIS" TOUCHED DOWN FOR THE

LAST TIME.

THANKS, OBAMA.

[LAUGHTER]

GROUND CONTROL TO MAJOR BUMMER.

[LAUGHTER]

REQUEST PERMISSION TO DOCK WITH

A BOX OF TISSUES.

[LAUGHTER]

[AUDIENCE REACTS]

[LAUGHTER]

[LAUGHTER]

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: FOLKS, AMERICA HAS

ALWAYS BEEN THE LEADER IN SPACE.

FROM THE HISTORIC 1969 MOON

LANDING TO THE LANDMARK

200940th ANNIVERSARY OF THE

MOON LANDING.

IN BETWEEN WE USED OUR SHUTTLE

FLEET TO BUILD THE INTERNATIONAL

SPACE STATION, LAUNCH THE HUBBLE

TELESCOPE AND DEPLOY A RAGTAG

BAND OF OILMEN TO SAVE THE EARTH

FROM A KILLER ASTEROID.

NOW WITHOUT OUR SHUTTLE FLEET,

WE'RE STUCK HITCHING RIDES WITH

THE DAMN RUSKIES, AND SINCE THEY

DON'T HAVE ANY COMPETITION NOW,

THE PRICE IS SHOOTING UP LIKE AN

I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE WE CANCELED

THE SPACE PROGRAM.

THE COSMO-NAZIS STARTED OFF

CHARGING $22 MILLION PER

ASTRONAUT.

BUT NOW SUDDENLY IT'S $43.4

MILLION, AND IT'S GOING TO GO UP

TO $63 MILLION BY 2016.

AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE

THE $25 BAGGAGE FEE.

[LAUGHTER]

I AM ON TO YOU.

IT MAY WEIGH 50 POUNDS DOWN

HERE, BUT IN SPACE IT'S

T-p[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

YEAH!

YEAH!

AND, FOLKS, THIS ISN'T JUST

ABOUT THE END OF AMERICA'S SPACE

DOMINANCE.

IT'S REALLY ABOUT ME.

[LAUGHTER]

I WAS HUGE IN SPACE.

I LAUNCHED A A WRISTSTRONG

BRACELET INTO SPACE.

I GOT A TREADMILL NAMED AFTER

ME.

I WENT TO NASA, FINISHED THE

ENTIRE ASTRONAUT TRAINING

REGIMENT IN ABOUT TWO HOURS.

[LAUGHTER]

BUT MY ASTRONAUT SKILLS ARE NOW

AS OBSOLETE AS DOUGHER -- DODO

HUSBANDRY, Z UNE PROGRAMING AND

U.S. MANUFACTURING.

BUT TAKE HEART, NATION, BECAUSE

I KNOW SOMEWHERE OUT THERE

TONIGHT A YOUNG CHILD IS LOOKING

UP AT THE STARS AND DARING TO

DREAM THAT ONE DAY HE TOO CAN

PAY THE RUSSIANS $63 MILLION.

[LAUGHTER AND APPLAUS

NATION, THIS IS MY QUESTION: YOU

ARE ALL MY STUDENTS, AND I AM

HOT FOR TEACHER.

THIS IS "EYES ON EDUCATION."

♪♪

♪♪

FIRST PERIOD.

[BELL RINGS]

HISTORY.

FOLKS, OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE

FILLED WITH VIOLENCE, DRUGS AND

GUNS.

BUT THEY ARE ABOUT TO GET

DANGEROUS.

>> CALIFORNIA'S GOVERNOR HAS

SIGNED A BILL THAT REQUIRES

SCHOOLS TO TEACH GAY HISTORY.

>> THIS IS AN OUTRAGE.

BRINGING GAY HISTORY INTO OUR

CLASSROOM TEACHES OUR CHILDREN A

DANGEROUS LESSON, THAT GAY

PEOPLE EXIST.

[LAUGHTER]

AND STRAIGHT NATION, IT ONLY

GETS WORSE.

>> LESSONS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

WILL NOW INCLUDE THE

CONTRIBUTIONS OF LESBIAN, GAY,

BISEXUAL AND TRANSGENDER

AMERICANS.

>> TRANSGENDER AMERICANS?

GREAT.

NOW OUR KIDS ARE GOING TO LEARN

ABOUT HOW FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT

BECAME ELEANOR ROOSEVELT.

BUT THAT WON'T BE THE ONLY

REVELATION IN THESE

TEACHER-TAUGHT LESSON

PLAN-ON-MAN ACTION.

>> STARTING IN 2013, STUDENTS

WILL LEARN ABOUT FAMOUS GAY

PEOPLE, IS UP AS HARVEY MILK,

SAN FRANCISCO'S FIRST OPENLY GAY

POLITICIAN.

>> IF, IN FACT, THERE IS A

DISCUSSION IN ENGLISH ABOUT

OSCAR WILDE, IT WILL REFERENCE

THE FACT THAT HE WAS GAY.

>> Stephen: WHAT?

THIS GUY WAS GAY?

[LAUGHTER]

THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING I NEVER

LEARNED ABOUT HIM.

AND, FOLKS...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO

SEES WHERE THIS THING IS GOING.

>> CALIFORNIA REWRITING THE TEXT

BOOKS, THE HISTORY BOOKS SAYING,

BY THE WAY, GEORGE WASHINGTON

WAS A HOMOSEXUAL.

>> YES, HOW DARE CALIFORNIA SAY

THAT A MAN IN A POWDERED WIG AND

HIGH SILK STOCKINGS IS GAY.

NEXT THING THEY'LL ACCUSE HIM OF

CROSSING THE DELAWARE ON A PRIDE

FLOAT.

WELL, CALIFORNIA, CALIFORNIA,

YOU'RE SO EAGER FOR GAY HISTORY,

I WILL GIVE YOU GAY HISTORY.

GAY WAS INVENTED IN ANCIENT

GREECE BY SOCRATES, WHO CAME UP

WITH THE SOCRATIC METHOD, WHICH

I BELIEVE IS A GAY SEX MOVE.

IN THE FIFTH CENTURY, THE

VISIGOTHS SPREAD THEIR GAY

CULTURE OF PANTSLESSNESS

THROUGHOUT EUROPE.

SEE THIS GUY SWINGING IN THE

BREEZE HERE?

I BELIEVE THAT'S WHAT'S CALLED

THE SAC OF ROME.

THEN IN 1504, AN ANGRY AND

DEPRESSED MICHELANGELO SCULPTS

HIS EX-BOYFRIEND DAVE, GIVING

HIM ROCK HARD ABS BUT IN A

BITCHY AND VENGEFUL MOVE GIVES

HIM AN INCREDIBLY SMALL CANNOLI.

THEN AFTER THAT NOTHING GAY FOR

500 YEARS.

STRAIGHTS WERE ON A ROLE UNTIL

THE '70s WHEN GAY MADE A

COMEBACK WHEN PAUL LYNN WAS

GIVEN THE CENTER SQUARE.

IMPRESSIONABLE CHILDREN HOMESICK

FROM SCHOOL WATCHED HIM, WERE

CONVERTED, AND BOOM, EVER SINCE

IT'S BEEN GAY, GAY, GAY, GAY,

GAY, THUS ENDETH THE LESSON,

WHICH BRINGS US TO OUR FIRST POP

QUIZ: IF A SOCIETY BEGINS

TEACHING ITS CHILDREN ABOUT GAY

HISTORY IN 2011, HOW LONG UNTIL

THEY ALL BECOME GAY AND A GREAT

COUNTRY CRUMBLES INTO DUST?

A, INSTANTLY.

B, ALL OF THE ABOVE.

SECOND PERIOD.

[BELL RINGS]

SOCIAL STUDIES.

NATION, I DON'T KEEP AN EYE JUST

ON EDUCATION IN AMERICA.

I ALSO WATCH WHAT THEY'RE DOING

IN CHINA.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO TEACH THOSE

KIDS BETTER PENMANSHIP.

I'M GOING TO SAY "L," A VERY

LAZY "T."

WHATEVER.

WELL, CHINA IS EXPLORING A NEW

FRONTIER IN EDUCATION WITH THE

HELP OF THE HAPPIEST COMPANY ON

EARTH.

>> A NEW CAST OF ENGLISH

TEACHERS HAS COME SHANGHAI, AND

IT'S SAFE TO SAY THE GROUP IS

UNLIKE ANY INSTRUCTORS THIS

CITY'S CHILDREN HAS SEEN BEFORE.

THIS IS THE DISNEY ENGLISH

SCHOOL FIRST, OF MANY PLANNED

FOR CHINA.

IT'S THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY'S

NEWEST FORWAY INTO THE WORLD'S

MOST POPULOUS NATION.

>> STEPHEN: THE DISNEY ENGLISH

SCHOOL, NOW CHINESE KIDS LEARN

WORDS LIKE "MICKY" AND "MOUSE"

AND "SEW THAT MICKEY MOUSE

HOODIE FASTER" AND FUTURE

CLASSES CAN COVER MORE ADVANCED

CONVERSATIONAL ENGLISH LIKE "ZIP

DEE DUE DAH" AND "SUPERCAL

TRAGIC."

OF COURSE, SOME SAY THEY'RE

BRAINWASHING THESE CHILDREN AS

POTENTIAL CLIENTS.

EXACTLY.

GOT TO GET THEM YOUNG.

FOLKS, WE NEED DISNEY ENGLISH

SCHOOLS HERE IN AMERICA.

WE CANNOT ALLOW A PRINCESS GAP.

AMERICAN KIDS ARE DANGEROUSLY

UNDEREXPOSED TO DISNEY

MARKETING.

THEY HAVE ONLY MOVIE, TOYS,

THEME PARKS, TV SHOWS, ICE

SPECTACULARS, BROADWAY SHOWS,

NIGHT LIGHTS AND TOY STORY

CREDIT CARDS.

KIDS, YOU CAN BE IN DEBT TO

INFINITY AND BEYOND.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

TIME FOR ANOTHER POP QUIZ.

THE LITTLE MERMAID IS TO

PINOCCHIO AS ALADDIN IS TO, A,

GOOFY, B, THE SINGING TEAPOT, C,

BUZZ LIGHT YEAR, AND D, WHO

CARES, WE JUST RAISED YOUR BRAND

AWARENESS OF SIX DISNEY

CHARACTERS.

WE

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

NATION, IT'S NO SECRET.

I'VE SAID IT ON THIS SHOW MANY

TIMES.

I AM AN AVID WATCHER OF THE

"TODAY SHOW."

I WATCH IT JUST TO FIND OUT WHAT

DAY IT IS.

TURNS OUT IT'S TODAY.

THEY ALWAYS GET THAT RIGHT.

BUT EARLIER THIS WEEK, FOLKS, I

SAW A SEGMENT THAT SHOOK MY

FAITH IN BREAKFAST NEWS.

IVAN.

>> THIS MORNING WE'RE KICKING

OFF A SPECIAL SERIES, BREAST

OBSESSED IN AMERICA.

>> THERE ARE SO MANY WORDS FOR

THESE, TAH-TAHS, PUPPIES, RACK.

>> Stephen: THE RACK?

I AM DISAPPOINTED.

THIS IS THE KIND OF FILTH I

EXPECT FROM CHARLES OSGOOD.

THIS BREAST OBSESSED IN MESH

SERIES IS A BLATANT PABDZERING

DRESSED UP LIKE NEWS.

LOOK AT NBC'S EVIDENCE THAT

AMERICA IS BREAST CRAZY.

>> HOW MUCH ARE BREASTS ON THE

HUMAN MIND?

A QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THEM

PAIRED WITH BOOBS AND A SLANG

WORD STARTING WITH THE TURNS UP

ALMOST A BILLION HITS, MORE THAN

FOUR TIMES THE YIELD FOR A

SEARCH ON THE BRAIN.

>> Stephen: ALMOST NOBODY IS

LOOKING UP BRAINS.

OR APPARENTLY USING THEM AT NBC.

THIS KIND OF "REPORTING" HAS NO

PLACE ON A NEWS SHOW.

IT IS DISGUSTING.

IT IS DEBASING.

IT IS VILE.

AND NBCIOUS I HAVE JUST ONE

THING TO SAY, WHAT ABOUT BUST?

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S RIGHT.

THAT'S RIGHT.

I LIKE BIG BUSTS AND I CANNOT

LIE.

I'M A BUTT MAN.

THERE ARE MILLIONS OF US, LIKE

TWO-TIME PULITZER PRIZE WINNER

AUTHOR DAVID McCULLOUGH.

>> MY ANACONDA DON'T WANT NONE

UNLESS YOU GOT BUNS, HON.

>> Stephen: SEE?

SO TELL ME, NBC, WHERE'S BUTT

WEEK?

I WANT HARD-HITTING REPORTS ON

HIGH AND TIGHT APPLE BOTTOM

BOOTIES YOU CAN BOUNCE A QUARTER

OFF AND GET BACK TWO DIMES AND A

NICKEL.

IN-DEPTH EXPOSES ON THE SWEET

BEACHY CURVES YOU JUST WANT TO

POLISH WITH WINDEX UNTIL YOU SEE

YOUR FACE IN IT.

I'M TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING SO

FIRM YOU CAN SNAP A POOL CUE

ACROSS IT.

ARE YOU SAVING THAT SCOOP FOR

BRIAN WILLIAMS?

I'M SAD TO SAY THIS IS A PATTERN

WITH THE PEACOCK.

THEY HAVE A NETWORK-WIDE

ANTI-BUTT BIAS.

WATCH ANY OF THEIR NEWS

COVERAGE.

THEIR ANCHOR, WORLD LEADERS

ALWAYS SHOT WAIST UP AND FROM

THE FRONT.

BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE NBC'S

PRECIOUS BOOBS ARE.

AND MORE TO THE POINT, IT'S

WHERE THE BUTT ISN'T.

YOU ALMOST NEVER SEE ASS ON NBC

EXCEPT ON CELEBRITY APPRENTICE.

I MEAN...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

I MEAN, YOU'VE GOT.

TO HE'S TALKING OUT OF IT.

[LAUGHTER]

SO I HEREBY CALL ON THE COLBERT

NATION TO GO DOWN TO THE "TODAY

SHOW"'S WINDOW IN ROCKEFELLER

PLAZA TOMORROW MORNING AND

DEMAND EQUAL TIME FOR THE BOOTY.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

I WANT TO SEE SIGNS LIKE, "NO

KEESTERS, NO PEACE" AND "NBC

EQUALS NO BUTT COVERAGE."

THE POINT IS, BECAUSE HERE'S THE

POINT, FOLKS, THIS BOOB WEEK IS

JUST A CHEAP RATINGS GROPE, LIKE

SHARK WEEK.

OH, OH, YOU KNOW WHAT SOMEBODY

SHOULD DO?

SHARK BOOB WEEK.

OR BOOB SHARK WEEK.

THAT I WOULD WATCH.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A

NEUROSCIENTIST HERE TO TALK

ABOUT THE NEUROLOGICAL

UNDERPINNINGS OF THE

SUBCONSCIOUS, IF THERE IS SUCH A

THING AS THE SUBCONSCIOUS.

PLEASE MOMMY BREAST DAVID

EAGLEMAN.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

, HI, DAVID EAGLEMAN.

ALL RIGHT, SIR, YOU ARE A

NEUROSCIENTIST.

WHAT IS A NEUROSCIENTIST FOR A

GOOD FOLKS?

>> WE TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW THE

BRAIN WORKS.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Stephen: DOES IT ALWAYS

WORK?

>> IT'S ALWAYS DOING STUFF UNDER

THE HOOD THAT YOU DON'T EVEN

KNOW ABOUT IS THE THING.

IT'S ALWAYS SCREAMING ALONG WITH

ACTIVITY IN WAYS THAT YOUR

CONSCIOUS MIND DOESN'T EVEN HAVE

ACCESS TO.

[LAUGHTER]

>> Stephen: OKAY.

YOU WORK ON TIME PERCEPTION,

NEURAL LAW, AND YOU HAVE A NEW

BOOK CALLED "INCOGNITO: THE

SECRET LIVES OF THE BRAIN."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "SECRET LIVES

OF THE BRAIN"?

>> WELL, THE BRAIN IS THE MOST

COMPLICATED THING WE'VE EVER

FOUND IN THE UNIVERSE.

IT CONSISTS OF HUNDREDS OF

MILLIONS OF NEURONS CONNECTED IN

SUCH COMPLEXITY THAT A CUBIC

MILLIMETER OF BRAIN TISSUE AS

MANY CONNECTIONS AS THERE ARE

STARS IN THE MILKY WAY GALAXY.

>> Stephen: BULL [BLEEPED].

>> IT'S TRUE.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

REALLY?

A CUBIC MILLIMETER?

>> YES.

SO THE REALLY AMAZING PART IS

THAT THE BRAIN IS RUNNING ALL OF

ITS OPERATIONS, ALMOST ALL OF IT

UNDER THE HOOD OF CONSCIOUS

AWARENESS.

SO THESE MASSIVE THINGS ARE

GOING ON, AND YOU DON'T KNOW,

THE THINGS YOU ACT... THE THINGS

YOU BELIEVE, THE THINGS YOU

THINK, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THEY

COME FROM.

THEY GET GENERATED UNDER THE

SURFACE AND SERVED UP TO YOUR

CONSCIOUS BRAIN, AND YOU SAY,

HEY, I JUST THOUGHT OF

SOMETHING.

BUT IT WASN'T YOU THAT THOUGHT

OF IT.

YOUR BRAIN HAS BEEN WORKING ON

IT FOR DAYS OR WEEKS.

>> Stephen: WAIT.

THERE'S SOMEBODY ELSE IN MY

HEAD?

AM I JUST LIKE A VEHICLE FOR MY

BRAIN TO GO AROUND?

>> AS PINK FLOYD SAID, "THERE'S

SOMEONE IN MY HEAD, BUT IT'S NOT

ME."

IT'S ESSENTIALLY THAT SITUATION.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU HIGH?

[APPLAUSE]

BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER HEARD... I

NEVER HEARD... I HAVE NEVER

HEARD ANYONE OUTSIDE OF A

COLLEGE DORM ROOM QUOTE PINK

FLOYD, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> GLAD TO BE THE FIRST.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

DO YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR

BRAIN IS DOING, BECAUSE MY BRAIN

TELLS ME THING ALL THE TIME AND

I JUST IGNORE IT.

>> RIGHT.

YOUR BRAIN IS LIKE THE C.E.O. OF

A COMPANY, WHICH ONLY HAS ACCESS

TO MAYBE THE LONG-TERM VISION OF

THE COMPANY AND DOESN'T REALLY

UNDERSTAND ALL THE MACHINERY OF

THE COMPANY BENEATH IT.

SO THE C.E.O. SETS THE LONG-TERM

VISION, BUT THE OPERATIONS THAT

MAKE IT ALL WORK, YOU DON'T

REALLY HAVE ACCESS TO.

>> Stephen: IT'S NOT

UNIONIZED, IS IT?

THE C.E.O. IS MAKING 100 TIMES

WHAT THE GUY ON THE ASSEMBLY

LINE IS MAKING, ISN'T HE?

>> THAT'S THE FUNNY PART ABOUT

OUR CONSCIOUS LIVES, THE

CONSCIOUS YOU, THE PART THAT

FLICKERS TO LIFE WHEN YOU WAKE

UP IN THE MORNING, THAT'S THE

SMALLEST BIT OF WHAT'S HAPPENING

IN YOUR BRAIN.

>> Stephen: WHAT HAPPENS IN

DREAMS?

IS THAT REAL?

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE TO MY

BRAIN WHETHER OR NOT I REALLY DO

THINGS?

LET'S SAY I AM NAKED HORSE BACK

RIDING AND LIKE THERE'S WOMEN

RUBBING ME WITH SCENTED OILS AND

THEN I RIDE UP TO A HUGE CROWD

ON A SPANISH HILLTOP AND

EVERYONE CHEERS MY NAME AND THEN

I PLAY A GAME OF CHESS WITH

HUMAN FIGURES.

OKAY.

NOW IF LATER THAT NIGHT I DREAM

THAT I DO THAT, IS THAT AS...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

IS THAT AS POWERFUL IN A DREAM?

DOES IT MATTER WHETHER IT'S REAL

OR DREAM STATE FOR THE EFFECT ON

MY PSYCHE?

>> YOU KNOW, THE FACT IS WHAT

DREAMS SHOW US IS THAT WE CAN BE

FOOLED INTO BELIEVING TERRORIST

REALITIES.

AND SO IT'S TAKEN AS A REAL

HYPOTHESIS THAT THIS MIGHT BE A

SIMULATION.

WE ALREADY KNOW THAT WE CAN BE

FOOLED INTO COMPLETELY BUYING

SOMETHING.

>> Stephen: WAITED A SECOND.

IS THIS "INCEPTION"?

ARE YOU AND I... ARE YOUDY

DICAPRIO?

>> DID YOU BRING THE TOP?

>> Stephen: [BLEEPED] I LOST

IT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

AT THE END DO YOU THINK HE'S

STILL DREAMING?

>> YEAH, YEAH, PROBABLY.

>> Stephen: YOU THINK HE'S

STILL DREAMING?

>> THIS WHOLE THING MIGHT BE A

CIVILIZATION, TWO BILLION MORE

ADVANCED THAN WE ARE AND THEY'RE

RECREATING 2011.

>> Stephen: HOW CAN WE FIGURE

OUT WHETHER THAT'S TRUE?

>> GOT TO WAIT UNTIL YOU DIE AND

WAKE UP PROBABLY.

BACK TO THE BOOK.

>> Stephen: WOW.

>> NONE OF THAT IS IN THE BOOK.

THE BOOK IS ABOUT ALL THESE

UNCONSCIOUS INFLUENCES ON HOW WE

MAKE DECISIONS IN OUR LIVES.

>> Stephen: YOU HAD TO THINK

OF TEAM OF RIVALS THEORY.

WHAT IS THAT?

>> IT TURNS OUT YOU ARE NOT ONE

THING.

YOUR BRAIN IS MAKE UP OF LOTS OF

COMPETING SUBPOPULATIONS.

YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT THE BRAIN

LIKE A NEURAL PARLIAMENT WITH

DIFFERENT POLITICAL PARTIES

BATTLING IT OUT THE STEER THE

SHIP OF STATE.

>> Stephen: REALLY,

PARLIAMENT?

ARE YOU SAYING MY BRAIN IS

BRITISH?

BECAUSE THAT WAS... I NEED A

REASON TO EXPLAIN WHY I DRIVE ON

THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD

SOMETIMES.

[LAUGHTER]

SO IF THERE ARE DIFFERENT

POLITICAL PARTIES IN MY HEAD

BATTLING FOR CONTROL, WHO WANTS

TO RAISE MY EMOTIONAL DEBT

CEILING?

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

DAVID, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

DAVID EAGLEMAN, THE BOOK IS