December 4, 2013 - Bryan Stevenson

  • Episode: 10031
  • (0)

Congressional productivity hits a record low, the rich get a floating tax shelter, and Bryan Stevenson argues for an equitable justice system.

Captioning sponsored by COMEDY CENTRAL

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WHOOO!

WELCOME TO THE REPORT,EVERYBODY.

YEAH, I LIKE IT.

>> STEPHEN, STEPHEN,STEPHEN!

STEPHEN, STEPHEN, STEPHEN!

>> Stephen: WELCOME TOTONIGHT'S EPISODE OF THE

REPORT, EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

PLEASE, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,GOOD TO YOU HAVE IN THERE,

OUT THERE, ALL AROUND THEWORLD, FOLKS.

HI AM SO GLAD TO BE ALIVE.

WHAT A TIME TO BE IN THE NEWSBIZ.

I MEAN BETWEEN THE HOLIDAYS,COME ON.

EVENTS ARE UNFOLDING ALLOVER VARIOUS PLACES.

YESTERDAY FOX NEWS'S THEFIVE HELD A ROUND TABLE ON A

HOUSTON SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORWHO SAID ITS STUDENTS

DRESSED LIKE HOES.

AND OVER ON CNN JAKETAPPER'S LEAD STORY WAS

ABOUT DOING BOB DYLAN FORSOMETHING HE SAID TWO YEARS

AGO.

SO THOSE STORIES ARECOVERED.

AND YOU KNOW WHERE THINGSARE ALWAYS HAPPENING?

>> WASHINGTON D.C.

WHERE CONGRESS ONLY HAS TENWORKDAYS LEFT.

SO YOU KNOW THERE'S GOING TOBE A FLURRY OF ACTIVITY AS

THEY PACK FOR VACATION.

BECAUSE, FOLKS, THISCONGRESS HAS EARNED A VERY

SPECIAL DISTINCTION.

>> THE 113th CONGRESS ISABOUT TO GO DOWN AS THE

LEAST PRODUCTIVE IN OURAMERICAN HISTORY.

>> IF YOU CAN BELIEVE ITONLY 55 BILLS HAVE BEEN SIGN

MOOD LAW THIS YEAR, THATMAKES THIS THE LEAST

PRODUCTIVE CONGRESS EVER.

>> THE LEAST PRODUCTIVECONGRESS IN THE HISTORY OF

THE AMERICAN REPUBLIC.

>> IT LITERALLY IS ADO-NOTHING CONGRESS.

>> Stephen: OH, THAT'S NOTFAIR.

THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING.

THEY'RE GETTING INTO THEGUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD

RECORDS.

AND FOLKS, THAT MAKES ITTWICE, IF YOU COUNT JOHN

BOEHNER'S FINGERNAILS.

NOW IT'S NOT EASY.

NOW SURE, THE 113th HASN'TPASSED A BILLS EVERY

CONGRESS DOES LIKE A HIGHWAYBILL OR DEFENSE BILL OR FARM

BILL OR A BUDGET.

BUT I MEAN WHAT DO WE NEED ABUDGET FOR.

CLEARLY NOT FOR HIGHWAYS,DEFENSE.

OR FOOD, THEY DID PASS ABILL ENSURING PEOPLE CAN

FISH ON DAMS NEAR THECUMBERLAND RIVER AND PASSED

DEEP CUTS IN FOOD STAMPS FORTHE POOR WHICH IS GOOD SOLID

GOVERNING BECAUSE THE POORDON'T NEED FOOD STAMPS ANY

MORE NOW THAT THEY CAN FISHNEAR DAMS ON THE CUMBERLAND

RIVER.

REMEMBER, REMEMBER THE OLDSAYING, GIVE A MAN A FISH

WILL EAT FOR A DAY.

TAKE AWAY HIS FOOD STAMPS,MAYBE HE WON'T.

(LAUGHTER)AND FOLKS, I'M EXCITED-- I'M

SO EXCITED TO HAVE OTHERSREPORT THAT THERE'S BEEN AN

EVEN BIGGER BIPARTISANACHIEVEMENT.

>> CONGRESS IS ABOUT TOSHELL OUT $55 MILLION TO PAY

FOR RETIREMENT BENEFITS FORA GROUP OF CHIMPANZEES.

THE 300 CHIMPS ARE PART OF ARESEARCH TESTING FACILITY

WHO ARE BEING SENT TO AHABITAT IN LOUISIANA TO LIVE

OUT THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

THE MONEY WILL BE USED TOPROVIDE THE ANIMALS WITH

HOUSING, FOOD AND MEDICALCARE.

>> Stephen: THAT'S RIGHT.

THE GOVERNMENT IS PAYING FORRESEARCH CHIMPS TO RETIRE TO

LOUISIANA.

BECAUSE NOT EVENPSYCHOLOGICALLY SCARRED

APRILS WANT TO LIVE INFLOOR-- AIRPORTS WANT TO

LIVE IN FLORIDA.

NATION-- (APPLAUSE)

BIG SUNSHINE STATE FANSTONIGHT.

NATION, THIS IS GREAT NEWS.

BECAUSE IT MEANS CONGRESSCAN AGREE ON A SOCIAL SAFETY

NET AS LONG AS IT'S NOT FORHUMAN BEINGS.

AND IF THEY'RE WILLING TOREWARD RESEARCH CHIMPS WITH

CURBY RETIREMENT, I SEE NOREASON WHY WE SHOULDN'T JUST

OFFER THE SAME DEAL TO OURELDERLY.

AS LONG AS WE CAN USE THEMFOR MEDICAL EXPERIMENTS

FIRST.

FACE IT, COME ON, FACE IT.

THEY ALREADY SWALLOWWHATEVER PILLS YOU PUT IN

THE TRAY.

AND SINCE WE WON'T NEEDCHIMPS FOR RESEARCH ANY MORE,

WE CAN HAVE THEM DO ALL THETHINGS CONGRESS REFUSES TO

PAY PEOPLE TO DO.

LIKE REBUILDING OUR BRIDGESOR PAVING OUR HIGHWAYS.

I MEAN IT WOULD BE SO MUCHBETTER BECAUSE A CHIMP ON A

TRICYCLE IS FUNNY BUT ACHIMP ON A STEAMROLLER,

HILARIOUS.

COME TO THINK OF IT, WHYDON'T WE JUST PUT THE CHIMPS

IN CONGRESS.

AFTER ALL, THEY'VE GOT A LOTOF EXPERIENCE--

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)-- THEY'VE GOT THE

EXPERIENCE YOU NEED.

THEY JERK OFF IN PUBLIC ANDTHROW

FOLKS, WHAT A HAPPY,WONDERFUL, ATTRACTIVE GROUP

OF PEOPLE.

FOLKS, SOME PEOPLE SEE THEGRASS AS HALF EMPTY.

I SEE THE GRASS AS HALFFULL.

OF URINE, UNFORTUNATELY.

BUT THIS IS TIP OF THE HAT,WAG OF THE FINGER.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU

KNOW THERE IS NOTHING MOREIMPORTANT THAN A QUALITY

EDUCATION.

EXCEPT PERHAPS A QUANTITYEDUCATION WHICH IS DR.I WENT

TO THE 6th GRADE THREE TIMESIN A ROW.

HANG IN THERE, BUDDY, ITGETS BETTER.

NOW I'M NO FAN OF THEDEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION BUT

I DO LIKE THEIR NEW COMMONCORE STANDARDS.

>> WHICH ARE GOING TO BELESS EMPHASIS ON READING

LITERATURE AND MORE ONREADING MEMOS AND

INSTRUCTION MANUALS.

SO I WAS READY TO GIVE THECOMMON CORE AN F FOR

FANTASTIC.

THEN I SAW SOMETHING THATMADE ME CHANGE THAT TO AN A

FOR ANGRY.

JIM?

>> 45 STATES ADOPTING THEOBAMA ADMINISTRATION'S

COMMON CORE CURRICULUM WHICHDOES NOT REQUIRE THAT

CURSIVE BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL.

>> THERE ARE MANY CHILDRENTODAY WHO CAN'T EVEN READ

CURSIVE WRITING LET ALONEWRITE IT.

>> Stephen: WRITTEN OFF.

>> CURSIVE WRITING IS NOLONGER PART OF WHAT IS

CALLED QUOTE, UNQUOTE, THECOMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS.

THIS MEANS THAT CURSIVE ISNO LONGER CONSIDERED A CORE

SKILL THAT YOUNGSTERS MUSTLEARN.

>> Stephen: NATION, THATCRANKY RAISIN IS RIGHT.

THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION ISWAGING A WAR ON CURSIVE, OR

POSSIBLY A WAYNE ON LURSIVE,IT'S KIND OF HARD TO TELL.

DIDN'T QUITE FINISH THATTHERE.

THAT'S WHY I'M GIVING A BIGTIP OF THE HAT TO THE

PENMANSHIP PATRIOTS OVER ATTHE CAMPAIGN FOR CURSIVE

WHOSE LOGO IS, NATURALLY, ADISEMBODIED HUMAN BRAIN WITH

EYES AND A MOUTH GIVING ATHUMBS UP SAYING CURSIVE IS

COOL.

IT IS EASY TO REMEMBERBECAUSE IT WILL HAUNT YOUR

DREAMS.

AS HANDWRITING TEACHER JANOLSON POINTS OUT THERE ARE

PLENTY OF REASONS TO KEEPCURSIVE AROUND.

>> CURSIVE IS THE FLUIDSTYLE OF WRITING.

THE CONNECTIONS MAKES THELETTERS FLOW TOGETHER AND IT

IS ACTUALLY FASTER FORSTUDENTS TO WRITE AND GET

THEIR THOUGHTS DOWN ONPAPER.

>> Stephen: YES, IT IS SOMUCH FASTER.

I MEAN LOOK HOW QUICKLY THATCHILD WROTE A-R.

SHE-- THINK ABOUT IT.

THAT WAS LIKE-- 11 SECONDS.

AND NOW SHE'S ALMOST A THIRDOF THE WAY THROUGH ARDUOUS.

(LAUGHTER)PLUS AS MASTER PENMAN

MICHAEL SULL EXPLAINSCURSIVE CONNECTS KID TO OUR

NATION'S HISTORY SAYING THEYWON'T BE ABLE TO READ THE

CONSTITUTION, THEDECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

OR ANYTHING WRITTEN DURINGTHE CIVIL WAR.

GREAT, NOW THOSE NATIONALTREASURE MOVIES WON'T MAKE

ANY SENSE.

SO KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK,CAMPAIGN FOR CURSIVE.

AND BE TOTALLY INDEPENDENT,IMPARTIAL AND COMPLETELY

OBJECTIVE GROUP BEHIND THECAMPAIGN, THE AMERICAN

HANDWRITING ANALYSISFOUNDATION WHOSE LOGO, AS

YOU CAN SEE, IS NOT INCURSIVE.

LOOKS LIKE THEY'VE ALREADYLOST, FOLKS.

THE HANDWRITING'S ON THEWALL.

AND NO ONE CAN READ IT.

NEXT UP ON THE TIP WAG, WAG,WAG, I'M TIRED OF

CONSERVATIVES BEING ACCUSEDOF BEING INSENSITIVE TO

BLACK PEOPLE.

WE GET IT.

NOW I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW OVERTHIS BREAK I WATCHED ALL OF

ROOTS PERFORMING ON JIMMYFALLON.

REALLY OPENED MY EYES TO THECRUELTY OF JIMMY FALLON.

WELL, FOLKS, ON SUNDAYREPUBLICANS PROVED ONCE AND

FOR ALL THAT THEY ARESENSITIVE TO THE BLACK

EXPERIENCE BY COMMEMORATINGTHE 58th ANNIVERSARY OF ROSA

PARK'S COURAGEOUS BUSPROTEST.

THE RNC TOOK TO TWITTERSAYING TODAY WE REMEMBER

ROSA PARK'S BOLD STAND ANDHER ROLE IN ENDING RACISM.

NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU ARETHINKING.

S THIS'S NOT RIGHT.

IT WAS REALLY MORE OF A BOLDSIT.

FOLKS, I'VE NEVER BEEN A FANOF ROSA PARKS.

I DON'T GET WHAT THE BIGDEAL IS I REFUSE TO GIVE UP

MY SEAT ALL THE TIME.

I DON'T STAND UP FORPREGNANT WOMEN, THE ELDERLY

OR EVEN FOR ROSA PARKS.

I STOLE HER SEAT AT ABENEFIT TO SIT CLOSER TO

OPRAH.

I SAY YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSEROSIE.

I-- (APPLAUSE)

I DON'T WANT TO TOOT MY OWNHORN BUT I AM THE ROSA PARKS

OF NOT GIVING UP MY SEAT FORROSA PARKS.

NEVERTHELESS, I AM GIVING ATIP OF THE HAT TO THE RNC

FOR REMINDING EVERYONE THATROSA PARKS ENDED RACISM.

THE MOMENT SHE REFUSED TOGET UP FROM HER SEAT IN

DECEMBER OF 1955 RACISM WASOVER.

THE END FADE TO BLACK.

OR FADE TO CHINESE,WHATEVER.

IT'S ALL THE SAME NOW.

SO BRAVO, RNC, FOR FINALLYGIVING PROPER CREDIT TO ROSA

PARKS.

AND IF ANYONE OUT THERE DOESNOT AGREE THAT SHE DESERVES

IT, THEN YOU'RE A RACISTWHICH YOU CANNOT BE THANKS

TO ROSA PARKS.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY,FOLKS, YOU KNOW, I BELIEVE

AS A WEALTH AMERICAN I'MCONSTANTLY BESEIGED BY

LEGIONS OF MOOFERNERS WHOWANT A PIECE OF THE PIE.

I SAY BACK OFF.

IF I GOT ANY EXTRA PIE I'MFEEDING IT TO THE BIRDS

BECAUSE THEY DON'T GET ALLMAD WHEN I MAKE THEM SING

FOR IT.

THIS IS COLBERT PLATINUM.

QUICK REMINDER, FOLKS, THISSEGMENT IS FOR PLATINUM

MEMBERS ONLY.

IF YOU ARE'S NOT WATCHINGTHIS ON A HOVER FLAT SCREEN

TRIMMED WITH UNBORN LEOPARDPELT WHY DON'T YOU SCAMPER

OFF TO T.G.I. FRIDAYS, TELLTHEM IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY,

MAYBE GET A FREE MUDSLIDE.

ALL RIGHT, PLATINUM NATION,WE'RE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW

WAYS TO ESCAPE THE BIGGOVERNMENT TAX MACHINE SO AS

MUCH AS I LOVE THIS COUNTRY,I CANNOT WAIT TO GET THE

HELL OUT OF HERE AND ON TO AKICK ASS BOAT.

>> DRIFTING AWAY FROM THEREST OF THE WORLD, WE NOW

HAVE THE FREEDOM CHIP, THEONE MILE LONG 25 STORY TALL

MEGASHIP THAT IS MORE LIKE AFLOATING CITY THAN A BOAT.

IT WOULD CARRY UP TO 50,000FULL-TIME RESIDENTS.

UNCLEAR HOW TAXES WOULD WORKFOR PEOPLE THERE BUT THEY

SAID IT WILL NOT BE REGISTEREDIN THE UNITED STATES.

SO UNCLE SAM WOULD NOT BEABLE TO GET TO PEOPLE ON

THAT BOAT.

>> Stephen: THAT'S RIGHT,THE FREEDOM SHIP WITH ALL

THE SLICK DESIGN OF ANUNFINISHED PARKING GARAGE.

AND EVERYTHING THE STATELESSBILLIONAIRE TYCOON NEEDS TO

FEEL AT HOME.

BANKS, CASINOS, AND A 1.7MILLION SQUARE FOOT

INTERNATIONAL SHOPPING MALL.

IMAGINE, AN ENORMOUS MALLYOU NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.

IT'S UP TO YOU, ANOTHERORANGE JULIUS OR A WATERY

GRAVE.

AND AS FOR ACCOMMODATIONS,FREEDOM SHIP OFFERS THE

ULTIMATE IN HIGH NET WORTHREAL ESTATE.

FOR AS LITTLE AS 9.1 MILLIONYOU CAN RESERVE A WATER VIEW

ULTIMATE APEX ROOM BOASTINGSUCH LUXURY AMENITIES AS

CARPETS, LIGHTS, ANDFINISHED WALLS.

WHAT?

FINISHED WALLS!

THAT'S LIKE THE HOT TUB OFBLOCKING WIND.

(LAUGHTER)FREEDOM SHIP IS ALSO FOR

YOUR FREEDOM CHILDREN WHOWILL RECEIVE THE FINEST

SCHOOLING THAT UNDERPAIDFILL PYNNO DECK HANDS CAN

PROVIDE.

AS PART OF A WORLD STANDARDSYSTEM OF SCHOOLS, FINANCIAL

EDUCATION WILL BE STRESSEDAS EACH AND EVERY CHILD IS

EXPOSED ON A DAILY BASIS TOINTERNATIONAL COMMERCE

ABOARD THE SHIP.

YES, STUDENTS WILL LEARNIMPORTANT BUSINESS CONCEPTS

LIKE NEGOTIATION, CRISISMANAGEMENT, ESPECIALLY ONCE

YOU'RE BOARDED BY THE SOMALIPIRATES.

THE WAY I SEE IT, FOLKS,THERE ARE ONLY TWO THINGS

FROM PREVENTING ME FROMBOARDING TOMORROW.

ONE, FREEDOM SHIP HAS NOTYET BEEN BUILT.

SO IT'S A LITTLE EARLY TOMEASURE THE DRAPES FOR MY

LUXURIOUS FINISHED WALLS.

TWO, BY THEIR OWN ADMISSION,FREEDOM SHIP WILL BE SUBJECT

TO INTERNATIONAL MARITIMELAW.

SORRY.

THAT'S TOO MUCH LAW FOR THISGUY.

EVEN IF IT DOES ALLOW ME TOGAMBLE ON WHITE RHINO AND

THEN SNORT THE LOSER.

SO I HAVE, OH WAY, IT WORKS.

THE LEDGE ENS ARE TRUE.

OKAY.

SO I HAVE DEVICED MY OWNESCAPE FOR BILLIONAIRE

EX-PATS.

STEPHEN COLBERT'S LIBERTYDERIDGEABLE.

FINALLY A PLACE WHEREAMERICA'S WEALTHY CAN TAKE

TO THE SKIES, SHATTER THECHAINS OF INTERNATIONAL LAW

AND FIND THEIR OWN DESTINYAS LONG AS IT IS DOWNWIND.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY,MY GUEST TONIGHT, WHY DO I

HAVE TO PAY THAT LADY IN ACOP UNIFORM TO FRISK ME.

PLEASE WELCOME BRYAN ASTEVENSON.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THANKS SOP MUCH FOR COMING

ON.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

OKAY, SIR, YOU ARE THEFOUNDER AND EXECUTIVE

DIRECTOR OF THE EQUALJUSTICE INITIATIVE.

AN ORGANIZATION INBIRMINGHAM.

>> MONTGOMERIE.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

EXCUSE ME, MONTGOMERIE,ALABAMA.

AND YOU CHALLENGE BIASAGAINST POOR AND MINORITIES

IF IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICESYSTEM AND WORK WITH PEOPLE

ON DEATH ROW.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: AND YOU HAVEBEEN NAMED THE McARTHUR

GENIUS GRANT AND ALL THATGOOD STUFF.

YOU ALSO HAVE THE LONGESTSTANDING OVATION ON RECORD

AT A TED TALK.

WHAT WERE YOU TALKING ABOUTTHAT GOT THOSE BRAINY TYPES

ALL EXCITED?

>> WBLTION I WAS ACTUALLYTALKING ABOUT CONSERVATION

AND THE CHALLENGES BECAUSEWE PUT SO MANY PEOPLE IN

PRISON, IMPOSE HARSHCHALLENGES.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THECHALLENGE.

WE HAVE MASS INCARCERATIONTHAT WAS OUR GOAL AND NOW WE

HAVE A CHIEFED IT.

>> WE'VE ALSO REALLYDEVASTATED COMMUNITIES OF

COLOR, POOR COMMUNITIES.

WE CREATED DESPAIR ANDHOPELESSNESS.

WE'VE SPPBT A LOT OF MONEY.

WE'RE NOW SPENDING $80BILLION A YEAR TO KEEP

PEOPLE IN JAILS AND PRISONS.

WE CREATE A LOT OF BADCOLLATERAL CONSEQUENCES.

PEOPLE LOSE THEIR RIGHT TOVOTE PERMANENTLY.

>> Stephen: PRISONS HAVEGOTTEN BETTER, YOU HAVE TO

ADMIT THAT PRISONS HAVEGOTTEN BETTER IN THE LAST 20

YEARS BECAUSE 20 YEARS AGOTHEY WEREN'T TURNING A

PROFIT.

AND NOW THEY ARE, THOSE BEDSARE FULL.

>> WELL, ACTUALLY THEY'RETURNING A PROFIT FOR A

HANDFUL OF PEOPLE BUT THEYARE GETTING THAT PROFIT BY

TAKING MONEY FROM EDUCATIONAND TAKING MONEY FROM HUMAN

SERVICES AND TAKING MONEYFROM THE NEEDS OF THE

ELDERLY.

AND BASIC TAXPAYERS.

THEY'VE GOTTEN ACTUALLYWORSE.

WE'RE NOW OVERCROWD.

WE'RE NOW TOLERATINGABECAUSE AND RAPE AND

DYSFUNCTION.

AND ACTUALLY THE CONDITIONSOF CONFINEMENT IN THIS

COUNTRY HAVE NEVER BEENWORSE.

>> Stephen: YOU SAY THIS ISAFFECTING YOUNG PLAN MEN.

GIVE ME THE DISPROPORTION.

WHAT DOW MEAN.

>> THE BUREAU JUSTICESUPPORTED THAT ONE IN 15

PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY CANEXPECT TO GO TO JAIL OR

PRISON.

BUT ONE IN 3 BLACK MALES CANEXPECT TO GO TO JAIL OR

PRISON.

WE ACTUALLY HAVE POLICIESTHAT ARE DIRECTED AT

COMMUNITIES OF COLOR, POORCOMMUNITIES, DRUG LAWS THAT

WE ENFORCE SELECTIVELYAGAINST PEOPLE OF COLOR.

AND-- .

>> Stephen: YOU'RE SAYING WESHOULD NOT ENFORCE OUR DRUG

LAWS.

BE SOFT ON CRIME, THAT ISWHAT I AM HEARING.

>> I'M SAYING WE SHOULDENFORCE THEM FAIRLY.

WE SHOULDN'T ONLY ENFORCETHEM AGAINST THE POOR AND

MINORITIES.

BECAUSE WHEN WE DO THAT WEARE ACTUALLY CREATING A

SYSTEM THAT IS RACIALLYBIASED.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT LISTEN,THAT IS IF YOU BELIEVE THAT

RACE MATTERS, OKAY.

I DON'T SEE RACE.

ALL RIGHT.

I'M NOT A RACIST.

I'VE MOVED BEYOND IT YOUKNOW, YOU ARE,, PEOPLE

ALWAYS TELL ME YOU'RE BLACK.

ARE YOU A BLACK MAN.

>> I AM A BLACK MAN.

>> Stephen: HAVE YOU BEEN TOPRISON.

>> I HAVE BEEN IN A PRISON.

I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY BEENSENTENCED TO PRISON.

>> Stephen: HOW DO I KNOW IFYOU ARE ACTUALLY BLACK OR

NOT.

>> WELL, PART OF WHATHAPPENS IS THAT ACTUALLY WE

DO HAVE THIS LEGACY THATSUGGESTS THAT RACE DOES

MATTER.

AND YOU CAN SEE-- .

>> Stephen: WHY WOULD ITMATTER?

>> WELL, IT MATTER BECAUSEWE FIRST ENSLAVED PEOPLE IN

THIS COUNTRY.

>> Stephen: I KNOW, I KNOW,DON'T RUB IT IN, MAN.

(LAUGHTER)>> AND WE DIDN'T END

SLAVERY.

WE TRANSITIONED FROM SLAVERYTO 100 YEARS OF TERRORISM.

AND THAT TERRORISM-- .

>> Stephen: WHAT DOW MEAN.

>> WELL, IT MEANS THATACTUALLY FOR

AFRICAN-AMERICANS THE 100YEARS FOLLOWING SLAVERY WERE

DEFINED BY RACIAL TERROR.

THEY HAD TO WORRY ABOUTLYNCHING, HATE CRIMES, THEY

TO WORRY ABOUT VIOLENCE ANDINTIMIDATION AND THAT WAS

FOLLOWED BY DECADES OFSEGREGATION AND

INSUBORDINATION ANDHUMILIATION WHICH IS WHAT

JIM CROW LAWS DID.

>> Stephen: SO CAN I BLAMETHIS ON MUSLIMS?

>> NO.

YOU ACTUALLY, WE ARE ALLACTUALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR

FAILURE TO TELL THE TRUTHABOUT OUR RACIAL HISTORY.

>> Stephen: SO YOU TOO, YOUARE A BLACK GUY, RIGHT.

>> EVERYBODY.

>> Stephen: PEOPLE TELL MEI'M WHITE AND I BELIEVE THEM

BECAUSE I FEEL TERRIBLYGUILTY ABOUT THIS

CONVERSATION.

SO BLACK PEOPLE HAVE SOMEBURDEN IN THIS.

>> WELL, YES, BECAUSE WEACTUALLY HAVE TO GET THE

ENTIRE COUNTRY, BLACKS,WHITE, LATINO, RELIGIOUS

MINORITIES, EVERYBODY TO BEMORE TRUTHFUL ABOUT WHAT

DISCRIMINATION AND BIGOTRYDOES TO US ALL.

>> Stephen: WHAT IT USED TODO, ROSA PARKS ENDED IT.

>> I HEARD YOU SAY THAT.

>> Stephen: NOT ME, THAT WASTHE RNC.

>> WELL, ACTUALLY, I STILLSEE TREMENDOUS RACISM,

TREMENDOUS RACISM.

>> Stephen: WE HAVE A BLACKPRESIDENT.

>> WE DO.

>> Stephen: WE HAVE A BLACKPRESIDENT-- HOLD ON.

WE HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT.

WHAT PART OF WE HAVE A BLACKPRESIDENT DON'T YOU GET.

>> WELL, I GET THAT WE HAVEA BLACK PRESIDENT.

IT SEEMS THAT WE HAVE ABLACK PRESIDENT THAT'S

ACTUALLY NOT ALLOWED TO TALKABOUT RACE BECAUSE HE IS A

BLACK PRESIDENT.

WHICH SPEAKS TO THIS DYNAMICOF HOW WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH

OUR PAST MORE TRUTHFULLYWITH A COMMITMENT TO

RECONCILIATION.

AND WE'RE SEEING IT PLAYITSELF OUT NOW.

TOO MANY KIDS OF COLOR AREPRESUMED GUILTY.

THEY WALK AROUND, THEY AREASSUMED TO HAR WAS,.

>> Stephen: SOME YOUNG BLACKMEN DO COMMIT CRIMES.

>> NO QUESTION.

>> Stephen: DOESN'T ITLOGICALLY FOLLOW THAT ALL OF

THEM DO?

>> NO, BECAUSE-- .

>> Stephen: FOR SAFETY'SSAKE.

>> NO, BECAUSE ACTUALLY SOMEYOUNG WHITE MEN COMMIT

CRIMES AND YOUNG WHITE GIRLSCOMMIT CRIME AND OLDER WHITE

MEN COMMIT CRIMES ANDREPUBLICANS COMMIT CRIMES.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO COLLEGESAND UNIVERSITIES DOING DRUG

RAID, WE'RE GO TOGETHERPROJECTS, THE POOREST AND

MOST DESPERATE AREAS, THATIS WHERE WE DO MASS ARRESTS.

>> Stephen: I GOT A LOT OFVIEWERS IN COLLEGE DORM

ROOMS RIGHT NOW.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE SAYINGTHE COPS ARE NOT COMING FOR

THEM.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT, YES.

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW,WHAT'S THAT SOUND, GUYS.

BESTED, BUSTED.

>> BUT FOR YOUR-- BUT FORPEOPLE WHO ARE IN POOR

COMMUNITIES AND URBANCOMMUNITIES AND RURAL

COMMUNITIES, WHERE THERE HASBEEN GENERATIONAL POVERTY,

MY CLIENT, THE KIDS I WORKWITH, 13, 14, FELL ME THAT

THEY DON'T EXPECT TO GETPAST THE AGE OF 21 WITHOUT

BEING ARRESTED ANINCARCERATED.

IT THAT COMMUNITY I'M REALLYWORRIED ABOUT.

>> Stephen: I KNOW ARE YOUSO ANTI-RACIST, YOU KNOW.

WHY THEN DOW LIVE IN ALABAMA?

BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT IT'SLIKE DOWN THERE, RIGHT?

WHY DON'T YOU MOVE SOMEPLACEWHERE THERE IS NO RACISM

LIKE CHICAGO OR BOSTON.

>> WELL, ACTUALLY, I HAVELIVED IN BOSTONMENT AND I

HAVE TO REPORT THAT THERE ISACTUALLY RACISM IN BOSTON.

THERE'S RACISM ANYWHERE.

>> Stephen: BUT YOU HAVETHAT CHARMING ACCENT.

EVERYBODY SOUNDS LIKE GOODWOMEN HUNTING.

>> IF WE CAN MAKE PROGRESSCONFRONTING RACIAL BIAS IN

ALABAMA AND SOUTH CAROLINAAND DEEP SOUTH WE CAN MAKE

RACIAL PROGRESS EVERYWHERE.

AND WE CAN'T TOLERATE ITEVERY-- ANYWHERE.

>> Stephen: WELL, GOOD LUCK.

GOD LESS.

AND-- GOSS BLED AND STAY OUTOF JAIL, MY FRIEND.

>> OKAY, WILL DO.

>> Stephen: BRYAN STEVENSON,EQUAL JUSTICE INITIATIVE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FORTHE REPORT, EVERYBODY, GOOD

Captioning sponsored by COMEDY CENTRAL

Loading...