July 25, 2011 - Brian Cox

  • Episode: 07095
  • (0)

The media assumes Norway's native gunman is Muslim, Summer's Eve uses vaginal puppetry, and Brian Cox reveals the wonders of space.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE].

.

>>.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU, LADIES

AND GENTLEMEN.

WH OO, WHOO!

WELCOME TO "THE REPORT."

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

[AUDIENCE CHANTING "STEPHEN"]

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

WELCOME.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US.

FOLKS, SORRY ABOUT THE GLASSES.

SORRY ABOUT THESE.

I'M JUST... OH, MY GOD, MY EYES

ARE STILL ADJUSTING.

I HAVE NOT SEEN DAYLIGHT SINCE

FRIDAY BECAUSE THIS WEEKEND

MARKED THE BEGINNING OF LEGAL

GAY MARRIAGE IN NEW YORK.

[LAUGHTER]

AND NO ESCAPE THE FORCE-FIVE

GAY-NADO ENGULFING THE CITY, I

RETREATED TO MY UNDERGROUND

HETERO-BUNKER.

NOW, I ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IT FOR

Y2K, BUT I HAVE RECENTLY ADAPTED

IT TO Y-TOO-GAY.

NOW, IT IS STOCKED WITH THINGS

THAT STRAIGHT MEN LOVE -- A

TEN-YEAR SUPPLY OF MANWICH, ALL

EIGHT SEASONS OF ""MAGNUM P.I.""

AND A DODGE PICKUP -- RAM TOUGH!

TURNS OUT IF YOU'RE ENCLOSED IN

A POORLY VENTILATED SPACE, YOU

SHOULD NOT LEAVE YOUR TRUCK

IDLING OR EAT NOTHING BUT

MANWICH FOR THREE DAYS.

I DON'T KNOW WHICH FUMES GOT ME

FIRST, BUT EVIDENTLY I PASSED

OUT BECAUSE NEXT THING I KNOW

I'M ABOVE GROUND IN THE ARMS OF

A HANDSOME FIREMAN.

NEW YORK'S BRAVEST.

SO I BOUGHT THE 20 THE 11

FIREMAN'S CALENDAR.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

I BOUGHT IT AS THANK YOU AND FOR

NO OTHER REASON.

[LAUGHTER]

THIS IS GOING TO LOOK GREAT ON

THE WALL OF MY HETERO BUNKER.

OH, MY LORD.

I CERTAINLY HOPE MY STUDIO

CATCHES FIRE IN OCTOBER.

[LAUGHTER]

AND IT WAS A GOOD THING I STAYED

IN MY BUNKER ALL WEEKEND,

FOLKSIOUS BECAUSE JUST LOOK AT

THE DEVIANT FREAK SHOW THAT WAS

FIRST COUPLE TO BE MARRIED IN

NEW YORK CITY.

>> BY THE AUTHORITY VESTED IN ME

BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW

YORK, I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU

MARRIED.

YOU MAY SEAL YOUR VOWS WITH A

KISS.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: THAT'S RIGHT, A

KISS ON THE CHEEK.

OR AS THEY CALL IT,

"SCISSORING."

LOOK AT THEM.

77-YEAR-OLD PHYLLIS SEGAL AND

HER 85-YEAR-OLD HUS-BRIDE CONNIE

KOPELOV.

COME ON, GIRLS!

DON'T MAKE THIS PERMANENT.

IT'S CLEARLY JUST A PHASE.

LOOK, I GET IT, YOU'RE AT AN

EXPERIMENTAL AGE, BUT TRUST ME,

THIS WILL WEAR OFFER THE SECOND

YOU GRADUATE FROM AQUA-JOGGING

CLASS.

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU TWO ARE

GOING TO BREAK THIS TO YOUR

PARENTS.

IT'S GOING TO KILL THEM.

[LAUGHTER]

OF COURSE, TODAY HERE AND ALL

AROUND THE WORLD, ALL OUR

THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS TONIGHT ARE

WITH THE PEOPLE OF NORWAY, WHO

SUFFERED AN UNSPEAKABLE TRAGEDY

ON FRIDAY.

THE KILLER HAS BEEN CAUGHT, HAS

CONFESSED AND NO PUNISHMENT IS

TOO HARSH FOR HIM.

THE HORROR HE HAS WREAKED IS

INCOMPREHENSIBLE AND WORDS FAIL

THE CIVILIZED.

BUT SOMETIMES IN A CRISIS, TRUE

HEROES EMERGE, LIKE THE BRAVE

MEN AND WOMEN OF AMERICA'S

NEWSROOMS, WHO IDENTIFIED THE

CULPRIT LONG BEFORE THE

NORWEGIAN AUTHORITIES DID.

[LAUGHTER]

>> WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS

BLAST?

WELL, NORWAY HAS BEEN GRAPPLING

WITH SOME HOME-GROWN TERROR

PLOTS LINKED TO AL QAEDA.

>> WITHOUT ALL THE FACTS IN, THE

FINGER OF SUSPICION WOULD

SUGGEST THAT THIS IS PROBABLY

MIDDLE EASTERN IN ITS ORIGIN.

>> TWO DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS IN

NORWAY IN WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE

WORK ONCE AGAIN OF MUSLIM

EXTREMEISTS.

>> Stephen: AND THE PRINT

MEDIA DID ITS PART, LIKE

JENNIFER RUBIN WHO WROTE, "THERE

IS A SPECIFIC JIHADIST

CONNECTION HERE.

THIS IS A SOBERING REMINDER FOR

THOSE WHO THINK IT'S TOO

EXPENSIVE TO WAGE WAR AGAINST

JIHADISTS."

AND THE "WALL STREET JOURNAL"

SAID, AYMAN AL-ZAWAHIRI HAS

REPEATEDLY SINGLED OUT NORWAY.

AND YOU KNOW THE "WALL STREET

JOURNAL" IS ACCURATE BECAUSE AS

A MURDOCH PAPER, THEY'VE GOT

PROVEN WAYS TO GET INSIDE

INFORMATION.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

NOW, IT TURNS OUT ON SATURDAY WE

FOUND OUT THE ATTACKS WERE

CARRIED OUT BY ANDERS BREIVIK, A

NATIVE NORWEGIAN CHRISTIAN WITH

A 1500 PAGE MANIFESTO RAILING

AGAINST THE MUSLIMIZATION OF

EUROPE.

SOME SAY THESE FALSE REPORTS OF

MUSLIM INVOLVEMENT WERE A

WIDESPREAD FAILURE OF THE MEDIA,

BUT I SAY BY GOING WITH THEIR

GUT, THESE JOURNALISTS WERE ABLE

TO GET THE STORY THEY WANTED AND

SCOOP REALITY.

[LAUGHTER]

AND EVEN IF THERE WAS A RUSH TO

JUDGMENT, WE MUST NOT REPEAT

THAT MISTAKE BY RUSHING TO

ACCURACY.

[LAUGHTER]

JUST BECAUSE... JUST BECAUSE THE

CONFESSED MURDERER IS A BLONDE,

BLUE-EYED, NORWEGIAN-BORN

ANTI-SLIM CRUSADER DOES NOT MEAN

HE'S NOT A SWARTHY, ULULATING,

MIDDLE EASTERN MADMAN.

[LAUGHTER]

JIM?

>> WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THE FACT

HE LOOKED NORDIC?

>> IN THE FIRST FEW HOURS AFTER

ANY SUCH EVENT, THERE'S SO MUCH

INFORMATION OR MISINFORMATION

DRAWING ABOUT, I WOULDN'T WANT

TO DRAW TOO MANY CONCLUSIONS.

MAYBE IT WAS A GOOD DISGUISE.

[AUDIENCE REACTS]

>> Stephen: YES, WHICH IS MORE

PLAUSIBLE: A NON-MUSLIM DID THIS

OR AL QAEDA HAS DEVELOPED

POLY-JUICE POTION?

[APPLAUSE]

NOW, FORTUNATELY COOLER HEADS

ARE COVERING THEIR ASSES.

IN AN EDITORIAL RESPONSE TO

THEIR EDITORIAL, THE "WALL

STREET JOURNAL" CALLS BREIVIK AN

AL QAEDA COPYCAT AND REMINDS US

THAT IF THIS DOES PROVE TO BE

THE WORK OF ISLAMISTS, IT WILL

BE NOTED THAT NEITHER NORWAY'S

OPPOSITION TO THE WAR IN IRAQ

NOR ITS CONSIDERABLE FINANCIAL

AND POLITICAL SUPPORT FOR THE

PALESTINIANS SPARED IT FROM

ATTACK.

AND IF THAT HYPOTHETICAL DAY

SHOULD COME, THAT'S AN IMAGINARY

LESSON THEY WILL NOT SOON

PRETEND TO FORGET.

[LAUGHTER]

AND AS THE "WASHINGTON POST"'S

JENNIFER RUBIN WROTE IN HER

RETRARKS "THE JIHADIST LINKS DID

NOT BARE UP, BUT THERE ARE MANY

MORE JIHADISTS THAN BLONDE

NORWEGIANS OUT THE KILL

AMERICANS."

RIGHT.

SO IF YOU'RE PULLING A NEWS

REPORT COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR

ASS, IT IS SAFER TO GO WITH

MUSLIMS.

THAT'S NOT PREJUDICE.

THAT'S PROBABILITY.

BECAUSE THE NEWS BUSINESS IS ALL

ABOUT GUESSTIMATING, JUST TAKING

SHOTS IN THE DARK.

IT'S FRIDAY, YOU'RE TRYING TO

BEAT THE TRAFFIC FOR THE

WEEKEND, YOU HEAR ABOUT A

HORRIBLE ATTACK AND YOU ROLL THE

BONES AND GO MUSLIM.

SAME WAY WHEN YOU SEE SOMEONE

TURN THE WRONG WAY UP A ONE-WAY

STREET YOUR JOURNALISTIC

INSTINCTS GO, "ASIAN."

AFTER ALL, BY JENNIFER RUBIN'S

LOGIC, THERE ARE MANY MORE

ASIANS THAN AMERICANS OUT THERE.

THE POINT IS, THIS MONSTER MAY

NOT BE MUSLIM, BUT HIS HEINOUS

ACTS ARE INDISPUTABLY MUS-LISH.

WE MUST NOT LET HIS ISLAMESQUE

ATROCITIES DIVERT OUR ATTENTION

FROM THE TERRIBLE PEOPLE HE

REMINDS US OF.

NOW, I HAVE A CONFESSION.

SOMETIMES THERE ARE FEELINGS

THAT CROSS MY MIND THAT I DO NOT

IMMEDIATELY REPORT AS NEWS.

WELL, I'M SORRY FOR THAT.

I LET YOU DOWN AND IT WILL NOT

HAPPEN AGAIN.

SO TO MY FELLOW JOURNALISTIC GUN

JUMPERS, I WILL NOW WRITE ALL

THE HEADLINES FOR THE REST OF

THE YEAR.

"BAD THINGS HAPPENED SOMEPLACE.

MUSLIMS INVOLVED."

OKAY.

DONE.

NOW WE CAN PUT OUR JOURNALISTIC

ENERGIES WHERE THEY'RE NEEDED,

WRITING THE RETRACTIONS.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY

MUCH.

WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY.

NATION, I'VE SAID IT MANY, MANY

TIMES, THERE IS NOTHING I LOVE

MORE THAN A GOOD COMMERCIAL.

I RECENTLY GOT THE BLU-RAY

EDITION OF THE CLASSIC GILLETTE

M3 POWER NITRO COMMERCIAL.

THE DIRECTOR'S CUT FEATURES TWO

ADDITIONAL SECONDS OF GLOWING

GREEN NITRO.

I THOUGHT WE'D REACHED THE

PINNACLE OF ADVERTISING

EXCELLENCE, BUT THANKS TO A NEW

SERIES OF ADS BY THE SUMMER'S

EVE CORPORATION, I NOW REALIZE I

WAS BEING A DOUCHE.

USUALLY WHEN A LADY AD COMES ON,

I RESPECT ITS PRIVACY BY FAST

FORWARDING THROUGH IT.

BUT THIS ONE REALLY SPOKE TO ME

IN THAT IT FEATURED A TALKING

VAGINA.

WARNING: WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO

SEE YOU CANNOT UNSEE.

JIM?

>> HELLO FROM VAGINA LAND.

I'M NOT ASKING FOR MUCH, JUST A

LITTLE ATTENTION IN THE SHOWER

WITH SOME Ph.D. BALANCEED

LOVE.

JUST A LITTLE LOVE FOR YOUR

VERTICAL SMILE.

>> Stephen: THIS IS AN AMAZING

AD.

AS I LOOK OUT AT MY AUDIENCE, I

SEE A LOT OF HORIZON FROWNS.

SOME PRODUCTS ARE HARD TO MARKET

AND SUMMER'S RECEIVE WENT ABOUT

IT IN THE MOST TASTEFUL WAY,

WITH VAGINAL PUPPETEERING.

[LAUGHTER]

AND THIS AD REALLY MAKES YOU

THINK THINGS LIKE, WOW, I NEVER

KNEW VAGINAS HAD NAILS.

NOW, NOT A LOT OF PEOPLE KNOW

THIS, BUT EVEN MINORITIES HAVE

VAGINAS.

IT'S TRUE.

BECAUSE ONE OF THE THINGS

DR. KING WAS FIGHTING FOR.

SO SUMMER'S EVE ALSO MADE AN AD

TARGETED AT AFRICAN AMERICANS.

>> SO WHY YOU BLOWING ME OFF?

SOAP, YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT

DRIES ME OUT AND IRRITATES MY

BIKINI LINE.

DO YOU REALLY WANT TO BE ITCHY

DOWN HERE?

UH-HUH.

DIDN'T THINK SO.

HOW ABOUT SOME

DERMATOLOGIST-TESTED SUMMER'S

EVE CLEANSING WASH.

BAM, WE ARE SO LADY WOWZA.

SUMMER'S EVE CLEANSING WASH AND

CLOTH.

THAT'S RIGHT, BABY, HAIL TO THE

V.

>> Stephen: WOW.

THAT VAGINA REALLY HAD AN URBAN

FEEL.

[LAUGHTER]

IT'S EVEN MORE CONVINCING THAN

TYLER PERRY'S VAGINA.

AND THIS NEXT AD REACHES OUT TO

THE LATINA VA-GEENA.

>> AYE, AYE, AYE, ANOTHER

LAYOVER?

SHOW ME A LITTLE LOVE WITH

SUMMER'S EVE CLEANSE AND WASH.

THAT'S ALL I ASK, WELL, THAT AND

YOU TRASH THAT TACKY LEOPARD

THONG.

[SPEAKING SPANISH]

>> Stephen: GREAT AD.

[LAUGHTER]

ANY ONLY QUIBBLE, THIS IS

AMERICA.

OUR VAGINAS SPEAK ENGLISH.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

YES.

THESE ADS ARE EFFECTIVE.

THEY'RE REALLY GOING THE MOVE

SOME PRODUCTS BECAUSE AFTER YOU

VIEW THEM, YOU HAVE THAT

NOT-SO-FRESH FEELING.

FOLKS, I'VE GOT TO TELL YOU, I

AM REALLY WHAT THE... OH, MY

GOD, I HAVE A VAGINA!

I HAVE TWO VAGINAS.

QUICK, JIMMY, BLUR THEM.

THERE YOU GO.

WOW.

YOU KNOW WHAT, FOLKS, YOU KNOW

WHAT, I DON'T THINK THAT IT'S

FAIR THAT WOMEN HAVE THESE

COMMERCIALS MARKETED TO THEM,

TELLING THEM THAT THEIR BODIES

AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH THE WAY THEY

ARE.

THIS COMPLETELY IGNORES MEN AND

OUR DEEPLY TROUBLING GENITALS.

WHY AREN'T WE ENCOURAGED TO

PURCHASE PRODUCTS TO MAKE OUR

GROINS ACCEPTABLE IN POLITE

COMPANY?

WELL, THAT ENDS TONIGHT.

GENTLEMEN, POINT YOUR CROTCHES

AT THE TV BECAUSE THEY'RE ABOUT

TO GET EMPOWERED.

JIM?

>> HOWDY.

IT'S ME, YOUR BELOW-THE-BELT

BUDDY.

YOUR PANTS PAL, THE BOUNCER AT

BALL MOUNTAIN.

LISTEN, GUYS, WE NEED TO PAY

MORE ATTENTION TO ME.

97% OF THE TIME JUST ISN'T

ENOUGH.

I MEAN, LET'S BE HONEST, YOU'RE

ALWAYS BEATING UP ON ME.

WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS?

YOU WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER YOU

TOUCH ME, WHY CAN'T YOU WASH ME?

INTROCUESING NEW AUTUMNAL

AFTERNOON PINE FRESH DICK SCRUB.

IN -- IT'S PINEWOODS FOR YOUR

PALMWOOD, OR FOR GUYS ON THE GO,

TRY AUTUMNAL AFTERNOON CUCUMBER

BALLS WITH REJUVENATING ALPHA

HYDROXY, IT WILL TAKE YEARS OFF

YOUR SCROTUM.

THAT'S ALL I'M ASKING.

I'M NOT SAYING TO BUY ME A

CASHMERE JOCK STRAP OR TO STOP

WHIPPING ME OUT ON THE SUBWAY.

I'M JUST SAYING LET'S LOOK NICE,

YOU KNOW, IN CASE WE HAVE

COMPANY COMING OVER.

>> HI THERE.

>> WHOA.

WHAT BODY PART ARE YOU SUPPOSED

TO BE?

>> A FOOT.

>> OH, OH.

AUTUMNAL AFTERNOON PINE FRESH

DICK SCRUB, HAIL TO THE D.

ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOUR CREAM AND

ONION AND MES SKEET CREAMY

CHILI.

>> Stephen: WE'LL BE RIGHT

BACK.

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A PARTICLE

PHYSICIST HERE TO TALK ABOUT HIS

NEW TV SERIES "WONDERS OF THE

UNIVERSE."

I ALREADY KNOW THREE WONDERS,

STEVIE, BREAD AND WOMAN.

PLEASE WELCOME BRIAN COX.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

HEY, NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN

BRIAN.

ALL RIGHT.

YOU ARE A SMARTY PANTS.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: TELL THE PEOPLE

OUT THERE JUST HOW SMART YOUR

PANTS ARE.

YOU'RE A PARTICLE PHYSICIST,

ROYAL SOCIETY RESEARCH FELLOW AT

THE UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER

WHERE YOU HOLD A CHAIR IN

PARTICLE PHYSICS.

YOU'RE ABOUT TO PRESENT THE

SECOND INSTALLMENT OF YOUR

PEABODY AWARD-WINNING SERIES

"WONDERS OF THE UNIVERSE" JULY

27th, 9:00 P.M. ON THE

SCIENCE CHANNEL.

IT HAS A COMPANION BOOK CALLED

"WONDERS OF THE UNIVERSE."

>> YES.

I'LL SETTLE FOR THAT

INTRODUCTION.

THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: WHAT KIND OF

WONDERS OF THE UNIVERSE ARE YOU

TALKING ABOUT?

IS THIS LIKE THE SEQUENCE

DESCRIBING THE SHAPE OF A

SUNFLOWER AND THE SHAPE OF A

GALAXY OR LIKE UFOs PAINTED

THE MONA LISA?

WHAT KIND?

>> NEITHER OF THOSE.

>> Stephen: THIS IS BASIC

CABLE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.

>> IT'S A HISTORY OF THE

UNIVERSE REALLY, A HISTORY OF

WHAT WE KNOW OF THE UNIVERSE.

>> Stephen: A SHORT BOOK.

JUST ONE VOLUME?

IT MUST BE IN SONNET FORM.

>> IT'S ONLY BEEN AROUND FOR

13.73 PLUS OR MINUS 0.12 BILLION

YEARS.

>> Stephen: WHO'S COUNTING.

>> THAT TINY BIT.

>> BUT ALSO THE FUTURE OF THE

UNIVERSE.

>> Stephen: HOW CAN YOU WRITE

THE FUTURE?

>> WE KNOW ROUGHLY HOW THE

UNIVERSE HAS EVOLVED TO THIS

POINT.

YOU CAN SEND THAT OFF INTO THE

FUTURE AND YOU CAN PREDICT HOW

IT'S GOING TO GO, BUT THE NUMBER

IN THE SERIES, WHICH IS THE

OLDEST THING WE CAN IMAGINE,

WHICH IS A POINT IN THE UNIVERSE

WHEN ALL THE BLACK HOLES, THE

COLLAPSED STARS EVAPORATE AWAY

TO NOTHINGNESS, AND THE NUMBER

IS TEN TO THE POWER OF 100

YEARS.

THAT'S ONE WITH 100 NOUGHTS.

IF I TOOK AN ATOM, ONE, TWO,

THREE, AND STARTED COUNTING.

I'D RUN OUT OF ATOMS ON THE

EARTH VERY QUICKLY.

THERE ARE 100 BILLION STARS IN

THE MILKY WAY GALAXY, 300

BILLION GALAXY IN THE UNIVERSE.

THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ATOMS IN

THE ENTIRE OBSERVABLE UNIVERSE

TO COUNT UP TO THAT NUMBER,

WHICH IS THE AGE OF THE OLDEST

THING WE CAN IMAGINE IN SCIENCE.

SO IT'S QUITE A BIG STORY, AS

YOU SAY, IN A SMALL BOOK.

YOU'RE RIGHT THERE.

>> Stephen: BRIAN CONGRESS,

WILL YOU LIE ON A HILLSIDE WITH

ME AT NIGHT?

[LAUGHTER]

STAIR - STARE UP AT THE SKY?

I GOT A CHILL, AND I DON'T KNOW

WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

THAT WAS REALLY BEAUTIFUL.

>> I SAW YOU BEGIN WITH THE

CALENDAR.

IT SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN TO YOU.

>> Stephen: THEY CAN COME TOO.

THE LAST TIME YOU WERE HERE, WE

WERE TALKING ABOUT YOU ALSO WERE

CONCERNED IN GENEVA.

IT'S A BIG PARTICLE ACCELERATOR

THERE.

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING

CALLED THE HAGUES BOZON

PARTICLE.

EXPLAIN WHAT THAT IS.

>> IT'S A THEORETICAL THING THAT

WE THINK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MASS

IN THE UNIVERSE.

>> Stephen: SUBATOMIC?

>> SUBATOMIC PARLIAMENT.

WHY DOES THIS TABLE HAVE MASS.

>> Stephen: IT'S WOOD.

IT'S MADE OF WOOD.

GO AHEAD.

NEXT QUESTION, PHYSICS MAN.

>> WE NEED NOT BOTHER BUILDING

THIS THING.

SO IT'S A PARTICLE THAT WE THING

IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT,

GENERATING MASS IN THE UNIVERSE.

>> Stephen: IT GIVES MASS TO

THINGS.

>> TO EVERYTHING.

LAST TIME I WAS ON WE WERE

TALKING ABOUT IT, AND THERE WERE

THEORIES ABOUT PEOPLE COMING

BACK FROM THE FUTURE.

IT WAS ALL NONSENSE.

I THINK BOLLOX WAS THE WORD I

USED.

AS OF LAST WEEK, WE MIGHT SEE

HINTS OF IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

>> Stephen: HINTS OF?

>> THIS THING, THIS PARTICLE.

IT MAY WELL EXIST.

>> Stephen: WHAT DOES IT MEAN

TO FIND THIS?

>> IT'S A FUNDAMENTAL PART OF

OUR THEORY OF EVERYTHING IN THE

UNIVERSE OTHER THAN GRAVITY.

SO EVERY PHENOMENON,

ELECTRICITY, MAGNETISM, THE WAY

NUKE LEE EATS STICK TOGETHER.

THE HEART OF THE THEORY IS THIS

THING WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR FOR

DECADES.

>> ARE THERE OTHER THINGS WE'RE

LOOKING FOR THAT WE CAN'T FIND

AT THAT LEVEL?

>> NO, THIS IS IT.

>> YOU DID THE 500

>> PIECE JIGSAW PUZZLE OF THE

CORAL REEF.

YOU CAN'T FIND THAT LAST PIECE.

>> AND THERE ARE HINTS ALSO IN

CHICAGO.

THERE ARE ALSO HINTS IN ROUGHLY

THE SAME KIND OF PLACE.

SO IT MAY BE A VERY EXCITING

TIME OF...

>> Stephen: ARE YOU CONFIDENT?

YOU'RE A PHYSICIST.

ARE YOU CONFIDENT THAT WHAT YOU

KNOW YOU KNOW?

BECAUSE LET'S JUST SAY THAT

PEOPLE COULD TRAVEL IN TIME AND

THAT I'M FROM 500 YEARS IN THE

FUTURE.

OKAY.

AND I'M JUST STEPHEN FROM 500

YEARS IN THE FUTURE AND I'M

COMING BACK THE TAKE HIS PLACE.

IF I SAID TO YOU, YOUR PHYSICS

ARE SO WRONG, THEY'RE SO

PRIMITIVE, THEY'RE LIKE THE WAY

YOU LOOK AT THE IDEA THAT THE

SKY IS A SERIES OF, YOU KNOW,

CONCENTRIC SPHERES, YOU KNOW,

UPON WHICH THE STARS ARE PINNED,

LIKE THAT'S HOW PRIMITIVE YOUR

PHYSICS ARE, COULD YOU CONCEIVE

OF THAT BEING TRUE?

>> YEAH.

PHYSICS, THROUGHOUT HISTORY,

SCIENCE A IS A SERIES... IT'S A

SNAPSHOT OF OUR BEST

UNDERSTANDING OF NATURE AS IT IS

NOW.

THE KEY TO IT, THE DIFFERENCE

BETWEEN IT AND EVERY OTHER

BELIEF SYSTEM IS THERE IS NO

SENSE IN WHICH IT'S RIGHT.

THERE ARE NO ACTS YUMS THERE

WHICH ARE UNSHAKABLE.

>> SO WE SPEND BILLIONS TO FIND

THIS, IT COULD SNAP IN THERE,

EVERYTHING WOULD WORKS, WE'D

CALL TITD THEORY OF EVERYTHING.

>> IT WOULD BE ON THE WAY TO

THAT.

>> Stephen: AND THEN SOMETHING

ELSE COULD HAPPEN AND YOU GO,

YOU KNOW WHAT, CHUCK IT ALL.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: TURN OVER THE

CHESSBOARD.

>> AND THAT'S THE POWER.

I CAN SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING,

BUT THAT'S THE POWER.

>> Stephen:, NO ONLY YOU CAN

SEE WHERE IT'S GOING BECAUSE YOU

CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE.

WHERE IS IT GOING?

>> WELL, I MEAN...

>>

>> Stephen: YOU'RE ABOUT TO

ADMIT SOMETHING, AREN'T YOU?

YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST MAKING THIS

[BLEEPED] UP AS YOU GO ALONG.

>> LET'S MOVE ALONG.

IT'S WONDERFUL.

THE UNIVERSE IS...

>> Stephen: THE UNIVERSE IS A

WONDER, AND HIS BOOK "WONDERS OF

THE UNIVERSE" IS OUT NOW.

BRIAN COX'S PROGRAM, THE WONDERS

OF THE UNIVERSE, BEGINS

WEDNESDAY ON SCIENCE.

CHECK IT OUT.

IT'S AS WONDERFUL AS THE

UNIVERSE.

WE'LL BE RIGHT

>> Stephen: THAT'S IT FOR "THE

REPORT," EVERYBODY.

GOOD NIGHT.