July 23, 2014 - Mary Mazzio & Oscar Vazquez

  • Episode: 10133 | 
  • Views: 0

Tim Draper discusses his "Six Californias" initiative, Lowe's employees deliver top-notch health care for veterans, and Mary Mazzio and Oscar Vazquez talk "Underwater Dreams." 

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: RIGHT THERE?

ALL RIGHT.

WELCOME TO THE REPORT,EVERYBODY, GOOD TO YOU HAVE

WITH US.

(AUDIENCE CHANTING "STEPHEN")

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: THANK YOU,

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THANKYOU FOR BEING HERE.

FOLKS, IT'S WONDERFUL TO BEHERE, WONDERFUL TO GET

THAT RESPONSE FROM THEAUDIENCE (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I DON'T KNOW WHY I'MSURPRISED. I'M NOT SURPRISED

AT ALL, FOLKS, THANK YOU FORTHAT GREETING.

YOU KNOW I LOVE IT.

YOU KNOW I NEED IT, BUT I'MNOT SURPRISED TO GET THAT

KIND OF RESPONSE FROM ANAUDIENCE IN NEW YORK.

I CAN'T EVER IMAGINE LEAVINGTHIS CITY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)NATION, AS YOU KNOW AS I

HOPE YOU KNOW AMERICACONTINUES TO FACE A BORDER

CRISIS WITH THOUSANDS OFUNDOCUMENTED CENTRAL

AMERICAN CHILDREN POURINGOVER OUR SOUTHERN BORDER.

AND PRESIDENT OBAMA STILLREJECTS MY PLAN TO BUILD A

KID-APULT

KIDS WILL LOVE IT, IT HASGOT TO BE SAFER THAN THOSE

CHAIN THINGS.

FOLKS, IT IS ONLY GOING TOGET WORSE, WITH OVER 52,000

CHILDREN IN CUSTODY AND90,000 EXPECTED BY THE END

OF THE YEAR THAT IS A FLOOD.

IT'S LIKE EL NINO IS RAININGACTUAL NINOS.

(LAUGHTER)AND NOW THAT THEY ARE HERE,

I BELIEVE THAT'S WHY IT ISCALLED THAT.

I BELIEVE THAT'S WHERE THENAME COMES FROM.

AND FOLKS, NOW THAT THE KIDSARE HERE, WE DON'T EVEN KNOW

WHAT PARTS OF AMERICATHEY'RE DESTROYING FIRST.

>> FEDS ARE SHIPPING ILLEGALALIENS ALL OVER THE COUNTRY

BUT NOT INFORMING THE STATESWHAT IS GOING ON.

>> THE WHITE HOUSE REFUSINGTO SAY WHERE THEY WILL BE

HOUSED ACROSS THE COUNTRY,APPARENTLY ILLEGAL PRIVACY,

THEIR RIGHTS TRUMP AMERICA'SRIGHT TO KNOW.

>> Stephen: YES WHY WON'T THEWHITE HOUSE PUBLISH THE

ADDRESSES OF THESEUNACCOMPANIED MINORS.

COME ON.

I MEAN THE KIDS COULD BE ANYWHERE.

THEY COULD BE IN YOUR TOWN.

THEY COULD BE IN YOUR HOUSE,HELL, THEY COULD BE IN MY HOUSE.

COME TO THINK OF IT I'VE GOTKIDS AT MY HOUSE.

AND I'M NOT SURE WHERE KIDSCOME FROM.

ALL I KNOW IS THEY SHOWED UPONE DAY SLATHERED IN SOME

KIND OF SALSA.

AND DID NOT SPEAK A WORD OFENGLISH.

NOW I GOT TO FOOT THE BILLFOR THEIR SCHOOL AND THEIR

HEALTH CARE.

NOT FAIR.

FOLKS, NOWHERE IS THISPROBLEM MORE PRONOUNCED THAN

IN MAINE, THE PLASTIC BIB STATE.

BECAUSE OUT OF THE 52,000CHILDREN IN FEDERAL

CUSTODY, UNCLE SAM ISUNFAIRLY SADDLING MAINE WITH

A WHOPPING 8 OF THEM.

8! DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS,THAT MEANS WHEN MAINE GOES

OUT TO DINNER THEY WILLAUTOMATICALLY NOW BE CHARGED

WITH A 15% GRATUITY FORPARTIES OF 8 OR MORE.

THANKFULLY MAINE GOVERNORAND MAN TRYING TO LOOK

GRATEFUL FOR A CRAPPY GIFTPAUL LePAGE CAUGHT WIND OF

THIS AND DECLARED WECANNOT BECOME A STATE THAT

ENCOURAGES ILLEGALIMMIGRATION.

WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD IT.

THAT'S RIGHT.

MAINE CAN NOT AFFORD 8KIDS.

THEY NEED THAT MONEY TOSOLVE THE BACKLOG OF CRIMES

COMMITTED EVER SINCE JESSICAFLETCHER MYSTERIOUSLY

DISAPPEARED.

I ASK YOU, WAS IT--MURDER?(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

NO, IT WAS CANCELLED SHE WROTE.FOLKS, I NEVER REALIZED MAINE

WAS IN SUCH DIRE FINANCIALSTRAITS.

THEY'RE JUST ONE OCTOMAMAAWAY FROM BANKRUPTCY.

I'M NO FAN OF CALIFORNIA.

FIRST OF ALL THEY'VE GOT AGRIZZLY BEAR ON THEIR FLAG.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST CUT TOTHE CHASE, CALIFORNIA AND

MAKE IT CHARLIE MANSON.

AND TWO THINGS, CALIFORNIAIS THE STATE THAT GAVE

AMERICA ITS TWO GREATESTPRESIDENTS RONALD REAGAN AND

SECOND TERM RONALD REAGAN.

BUT THESE DAYS-- (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

THESE DAYS, FOLKS,CALIFORNIA IS AN

UNGOVERNABLE MESS.

>> CALIFORNIA IS AN ENTIRESTATE FILLED WITH CITIES

EITHER CLEARLY FAILING OR ONTHE VERGE OF DISASTER.

>> CALIFORNIA IS GOINGBROKE.

BUSINESSES ARE FLEEING THESTATE IN DROVES.

>> CALIFORNIA'S PRISONSYSTEM IS JUST AN ABSOLUTE

NIGHTMARE.

>> THE EDUCATION SYSTEM INCALIFORNIA IS RANKED 46th IN

AMERICA AND WE'RE NUMBER ONEIN POVERTY.

>> CALIFORNIA ABLAZE, THREEMORE FIRES BREAK OUT IN

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.

>> YOU SEE THAT, EVENGOVERNOR JERRY BROWN IS NOW

BURNING THE STATE DOWN FOR THEINSURANCE MONEY.

BUT FOLKS THERE IS A GREATNEW PLAN.

YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE THIS.

A GREAT NEW PLAN TO MAKECALIFORNIA WHOLE AGAIN BY

BREAKING IT APART.

>> A PETITION TO BREAKCALIFORNIA INTO SIX SEPARATE

STATES HAS ATTRACTED OVER AMILLION SIGNATURES.

>> THE MEASURE TO BREAK ITINTO 6 STATE COULD BE HEADED

TO 2016 BALLOT

>> Stephen: IT'S ABOUT DAMNTIME THEY BREAK UP CALIFORNIA

BECAUSE I WAS TIRED OFWAITING FOR THE SAN ANDREAS

FAULT TO GET AROUND TO IT. IT'SBEEN PROMISING ME SINCE I WAS

A KID. THE DRIVE CALLS ITSELFSIX CALIFORNIAS AND THEY KNOW

WHAT REALLY MAKES CALIFORNIAUNGOVERNABLE.

>> JUST THINK THERE ARE 38MILLION CALIFORNIANS, BUT

ONLY ONE GOVERNOR.

HOW CAN THAT GOVERNOR LOOKOUT FOR ALL 38 MILLION OF

US.

HE IS TRYING.

BUT THE STATE IS TOO BIG ANDCOMPLICATED TO GOVERN.

>> YEAH, IT'S JUST BIG ANDCOMPLICATED.

I MEAN SO BIG, YOU KNOW,YOU-- YOU WANT ANOTHER DRINK?

OH MY GOODNESS, BREAKING UPCALIFORNIA MAKES MY NOSE

TICKLE.

LET'S GET OUT OF HERE.

SIX CALIFORNIAS IS THEBRAINCHILD OF SILICON VALLEY

BILLIONAIRE AND EVILSTEPFATHER IN A LIFETIME

MOVIE TIM DRAPER.

WHO CAME UP WITH THE PERFECTMETAPHOR.

>> SIX CALIFORNIAS, GIVES USTHE OPPORTUNITY TO REBOOT

AND REFRESH OUR STATEGOVERNMENT.

>> YES, IT'S AN OPPORTUNITYTO REBOOT.

BUT JUST LIKE RESTARTINGWINDOWS IT MIGHT TAKE A

FEW YEARS.

AND JUST CHECK OUT THE GREATNEW STATE'S NAMES.

THERE'S NORTH CALIFORNIA,SOUTH CALIFORNIA, CENTRAL

CALIFORNIA, AND WESTCALIFORNIA HOME OF LOS

ANGELES, WITH ITS VASTCOLONIC CLEANSE AND

CELEBRITY BABY STALKINGINDUSTRIES.

THEN THERE ARE TWO NEWSTATES THAT ACTUALLY HAVE

NAMES.

JEFFERSON, FAMOUS FORPRODUCING 60% OF THE

NATION'S MARIJUANA ANDEATING 60% OF THE NATION'S

LEFTOVER BURRITOES.

I BELIEVE JEFFERSON'S STATEFLAG WOULD BE A MAGIC EYE

POSTER. (CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> IT'S A BEAR.

>> LAST BUT ACTUALLY FIRSTTHERE'S THE SAN FRANCISCO

AREA STATE, NATURALLY NAMEDSILICON VALLEY.

I SAY YOU CAN'T GO WRONGNAMING STUFF AFTER

TECHNOLOGY, IT'S TIMELESS.

JUST ASK THE RESIDENCE OF CBRADIO AND BETA MAX.

(LAUGHTER)SILICON VALLEY

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THE STATE OF SILICON

VALLEY WOULD BE THE NATION'SRICHEST STATE PER CAPITA AND

THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TO SHARETHEIR WEALTH WITH CALIFORNIA

OTHER POORER PER CAPITAS, SOI BELIEVE THEIR STATE BIRD

WILL BE THIS.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: MEANWHILE THE

NEIGHBORING STATE OFCENTRAL CALIFORNIA WOULD

BECOME THE POOREST STATE INTHE NATION SO, MAYBE INSTEAD

OF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA, ABETTER NAME WOULD BE

VERY WEST VIRGINIA.

OF COURSE, IF THEY BREAK UPINTO SIX STATES THEY WOULD

HAVE TO FIGURE SOME STUFFOUT.

FIRST THEY WOULD HAVE TO WINTHE ELECTION THEN GET

CONGRESS TO APPROVE IT.

AND AFTER THAT THE ONLYQUESTION REMAINS IS WHO HAS

TO KEEP MEL GIBSON.

IT'S A ROCK SOLID PLAN THATNEEDS NO FURTHER

EXPLANATION.

HERE TO EXPLAIN IT FURTHERIS THE ARCHITECT OF SIX

CALIFORNIAS, PLEASE WELCOMETIM DRAPER.

MR. DRAPER, THANK YOU SOMUCH FOR BEING HERE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)I THINK YOU'VE EXPLAINED IT

JUST PERFECTLY.

YOU SAY CALIFORNIA CANNOT BEGOVERNED BECAUSE IT'S JUST

TOO GEOGRAPHICALLY LARGE ANDDISPERSED, RIGHT?

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: IS THAT WHYSTATES LIKE RHODE ISLAND ARE

SUCH PARADISES?

>> NO, BUT THEY DO HAVE ACHOICE IN RHODE ISLAND.

THEY CAN DRIVE 20 MINUTES TOANOTHER STATE.

>> OKAY YOU POINT OUT THATCALIFORNIA HAS A LOT OF

PROBLEMS.

ABYSSMAL K-12 EDUCATION,MASSIVE PRISON POPULATION,

20% LIVING BELOW THE POVERTYLINE.

DO ALL THESE PROBLEM GOESAWAY WHEN THEY ARE DIVVIED

UP AMONG SIX SEPARATESTATES.

>> WELL, HERE'S THESITUATION THAT I LOOK AT.

AND I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TOTHE FUTURE.

BECAUSE MY BUSINESS IS ALLABOUT THE FUTURE, DRAPER

UNIVERSITY OF HEROES IS ALLABOUT CREATING ENTREPRENEURS

>> Stephen: SORRY, WHAT?

>> OH, I STARTED A COOL CALLEDDRAPER UNIVERSITY OF HEROES.

>> Stephen: UH-HUH.

IS THAT ANYTHING LIKE THELITTLE LEBOWSKI ACHIEVERS.

>> YEAH, BUT THEY ARE ALITTLE OLDER.

ANYWAY ALL OF THESE THINGSTHAT I HAVE DONE IN MY

CAREER HAVE ALWAYS BEENPROJECTING OUT AND LOOKING

AT THE FUTURE.

I USE THE PAST AND DETERMINEWHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE.

AND BASED ON THE PASTCALIFORNIA'S FUTURE LOOKS

REALLY BAD.

>> PAST PERFORMANCE TENDS TOINDICATE FUTURE RESULTS.

PLEASE DO READ THE PROSPECTUS

>> SO 40 YEARS AGOCALIFORNIA WAS GREAT.

IT WAS THE BEST-- FIRST IT'SSTILL GREAT, IT'S A

BEAUTIFUL PLACE A LOT OFGREAT WEATHER.

>> Stephen: FOR NOW, UNTILIT'S BUSTED UP BY SOME GUY

PRETTY SOON.

>> SO 40 YEARS AGO WE WERETHE BEST.

WE HAD THE BEST EDUCATIONSYSTEM IN THE COUNTRY.

WE HAD THE BEST ECONOMY INTHE COUNTRY, BEST ECONOMIC

ENVIRONMENT IN THE COUNTRY.

>> WHAT HAPPENED.

>> 40 YEARS LATER.

>> Stephen: WHAT HAPPENED.

>> WAS IT JERRY BROWN COMINGBACK.

>> NO, ACTUALLY THERE HAVEBEEN GOOD PEOPLE ALL THE WAY

THROUGH THERE HAVE BEEN GOODPEOPLE MANAGING THAT STATE,

FOR MANY, MANY YEARS.

>> BUT TOO MANY PEOPLE INTHE STATE.

>> BUT VERY DIFFICULT TOMANAGE ALL THE DIFFERENT

INTERESTS.

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHAT ILIKE ABOUT YOUR IDEA,

BECAUSE I'M TIRED OF A WHOLEIDEA OF A MELTING POT,

AMERICA.

I BELIEVE THE METAPHOR, AMETAPHOR ARE YOU GOING FOR

IS ONE OF THOSE TUPPERWARETHINGS WHERE YOU GET TO SEAL

OFF EVERY CONTAINER.

AND EVERYONE'S INTERESTSSTAY FRESH.

>> OKAY, CENTRAL CALIFORNIA.

>> IT WILL BE A GREATMELTING POT.

>> DO YOU THINK THIS WILLHAPPEN TO OTHER STATES

BECAUSE THIS IS A BIG STORY,BECAUSE IT WILL BE LIKE A

PROPOSITION ON THE BALLOT IN2016.

>> RIGHT.

>> DO YOU THINK THAT THESEEVENTUAL OTHER STATES DO YOU

THINK THE OTHER STATES WILLKEEP CALIFORNIA'S INSANE

PROPOSITION SYSTEM WHEREANYONE CAN GET SOMETHING ON

THE BALLOT?

>> DO YOU THINK ONE OF THEMWILL GET RID OF THAT INSANE

IDEA.

>> IF NOTHING ELSE THIS WILLSTOP THAT.

>> ARE YOU GOING TO BE ASENATOR FOR ONE OF THESE NEW

STATES OR GOVERNOR OR SOMETHINGLIKE THAT?

>> NO, NO I'M LEAVING IT UPTO CALIFORNIANS.

>> YOU ARE JUST GOING TO SETCHARGE AND BLOW IT APART AND

SAY NOT MY [BLEEP] PROBLEM.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

TIMOTHY DRAPER, SIT DOWN.

SIX CALIFORNIAS, WE'LL BERIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY, THANK YOU SOMUCH.

FOLKS, YOU KNOW, IT'S NOSURPRISE BUT I DO NOT TRUST

THE MAINSTREAM NEWSPAPERSWHEN I WANT RELIABLE

NEWSPAPER I ALWAYS TURN TOMY LOCAL PAPERS LIKE THE

STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE, THENUMBER ONE FORCE FOR FINDING

OUT WHOSE GOOMAH WAS SEENEATING GABAGOOL WITH SOME MOOK.

LAST WEEK THE ADVANCEPUBLISHED A HEARTWARMING

LETTER FROM A VIETNAMVETERAN WHO OVER THE PAST

TWO YEARS HAS BEEN WAITINGTO RECEIVE A NEW WHEELCHAIR

FROM THE VA.

TWO YEARS SEEMS LOOK A LONGTIME BUT THEY'RE STILL

FILING PAPERWORK FROM THEWHISKEY REBELLION.

LET'S READ ALL ABOUT THISSTORY BY WATCHING THE TV.

>> MICHAEL SULSONA WENT TO ALOWE'S STORE TO GET FENCING

FOR HIS YARD BUT AS HE WASBROWSING THE BOLTS ON THE

WHEELCHAIR SNAPPED, THESTORE WAS ABOUT TO CLOSE BUT

THE GUY IN THE FENCEDEPARTMENT TOOK HIM TO SEE

THE GUY IN THE BOLTDEPARTMENT.

NEXT THING YOU KNOW HE WASSITTING IN A LOWE'S PATIO

CHAIR WHILE THREE GUYS FIXEDHIS WHEELCHAIR.

>> THEY JUST SAID, YOU KNOW, IWASN'T LEAVING THERE UNTIL THE

WHEELCHAIR WAS LIKE NEW. WHATREALLY TOUCHED ME WAS WHEN I

THANKED THEM ALL AND THEY JUSTLOOKED AT ME AND THEY JUST SAID

IT WAS THEIR HONOR.

>> THOSE GENTLEMEN MAY HAVEFIGURED THAT WHEELCHAIR BUT

HEARING ABOUT IT, LOOSED AFEW BOLTS IN HERE.

DEDICATED LOWES EMPLOYEESHAVE PROVEN THE PRIVATE

SECTOR DOES EVERYTHINGBETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT

EVER CAN.

IN FACT, I DON'T SEE WHYDAMN STRAIGHT.

>> I DON'T SEE WHY ALL OURVETERANS HEALTH ISSUES

CANNOT BE HANDLED BY LOWES.

WHY WAIT MONTHS TO HAVE THATHIP REPLACED AT THE VA WHEN

LOWES WILL FIX YOU UP INMINUTES WITH DUCT TAPE,

CHICKEN WIRE AND A SOCKETWRENCH SET.

AND SURE, SOME OLDER VETSOUT THERE NEED MAJOR

PROCEDURES LIKE HEARTTRANSPLANTS BUT REALLY WHAT

IS A HEART OTHER THAN AFOUNTAIN PUMP, ZIP TIED TO

SPRINKLER AND A GARDENHOSE.

I BET THE GOOD FOLKS AT LOWESCAN ONLY HANDLE MENTAL

HEALTH.

THE WORST CASE OF PTSD IN THEWORLD IS NO MATCH FOR THIS

ADORABLE FROG STATUE USING ADAISY FOR AN UMBRELLA.

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAWGOING DOOR-TO-DOOR IN

FALLUJAH.

LOOK AT THAT GUY'S TUMMY.

IF THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOUHAPPY, YOU DON'T WANT TO GET

BETTER.

(LAUGHTER)SO LOWES, THANK YOU FOR YOUR

SERVICE TO THOSE WE AREINSUFFICIENTLY THANKING FOR

THEIR SERVICE.

BUT I DO HAVE ONE CRITICISM,LOWES.

YOUR BATHROOMS.

THERE'S JUST NO DAMNPRIVACY.

AND I HAVE YET TO FIND ONETOILET THAT FLUSHES.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> Stephen: WELCOME --WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY, MY

GUEST TONIGHT IS ACTUCALLYTWO GUESTS.

PLEASE WELCOME MARY MAZZIO ANDOSCAR VAZQUEZ.

>> OSCAR, MARY NICE TO MEETYOU.

SIT DOWN, THANKS FOR COMINGHERE.

EXPLAIN TO THE FOLKS WHO YOUARE.

MARY YOU ARE ANAWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARY

FILMMAKER, A LAWYER, FORMEROLYMPIC ATHLETE, NOT TOO

SHABBY.

>> THANK YOU.

>> OSCAR YOU ARE AN ENGINEERAND YOUR HIGH SCHOOL

ROBOTICS TEAM IN ARIZONA ISTHE SUBJECT OF UNDERWATER

DREAMS, A DOCUMENTARY THETWO OF YOU MADE TOGETHER.

WHAT DOES UNDERWATER DREAMSMEAN WHAT IS THE DOCUMENTARY

ABOUT.

>> THE SO THE DREAM IS ABOUTTHE AMERICAN DREAM AND IF

YOU WORK HARD IN THISCOUNTRY YOU CAN MAKE

SOMETHING OF YOURSELF.

>> Stephen: A HOUSE, 2.4 KIDS,THAT KIND OF THING

EXACTLY. AND THE UNDERWATER ISABOUT THIS

EXTRAORDINARY STORY ABOUTOSCAR AND THREE OTHER BOYS

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT,HIGH SCHOOL BOYS, BUILT AN

UNDERWATER ROBOT OUT OFSTICKS AND CHEWING GUM AND

BITS AND PIECES FROM HOMEDEPOT, HAULED ACROSS THE

COUNTRY IN A BEAT UP VAN.

>> IN THE MIDDLE OF THEDESERT.

HIGH SCHOOL BOYS, ALLHISPANIC, ALL BY THE WAY,

INCIDENTALLY UNDOCUMENTED.

>> Stephen: SO THEUNDERWATER ROBOT WAS TO

SMUGGLE MORE CHILDREN ACROSSTHE RIO GRANDE.

LET'S PUT OUR CARDS ON THETABLE.

>> SO THEY HAULED ACROSS THECOUNTRY IN A BEAT UP VAN.

THEY ENTER THIS UNDERWATERREALLY SOPHISTICATED

UNDERWATER ROBOTICSCOMPETITION.

THEY WALK IN, THERE WERESHINY ROBOTS.

>> THIS THING IS HELD BYNASA.

>> NASA IS ONE OF THE SPONSORS.OFFICE OF THE NAVY WAS ANOTHER

AND SHOCKINGLY FAST FORWARDTO THE END, THE BOYS WALK

IN.

THEY COMPETE AGAINST COLLEGETEAMS AND SHOCKINGLY, THEY

ENDED UP DEFEATING THE LIKESOF M.I.T.

>> Stephen: THEY ARE HIGHSCHOOL KIDS.

OSCAR, WHAT DID YOU THINK WHENYOU WENT, DID YOU THINK YOU

ARE GOING TO GO THERE ANDKICK A LITTLE ASS OR WERE

YOU JUST THERE ON A LARK.

>> WE WERE JUST GOING TO COMPETEOUT THERE AND

WE DECIDED TO COMPETEAGAINST UNIVERSITIES BECAUSE

IF WE LOST AGAINST THEUNIVERSITY IT WASN'T GONNA

BE A BIG DEAL, BEING INHIGH SCHOOL RIGHT NOW.

BUT WINNING WAS A VERY BIGDEAL.

>> YES.

>> TELL ME ABOUT YOUR ROBOT.

>> WHAT DID IT HAVE TO DO.

>> IT HAD TO GO UNDERWATER,TAKE WATER SAMPLES, FIND

CERTAIN PIECES OF THESUBMARINE UNDERWATER, TAKE

TEMPERATURE MEASUREMENTS ANDGRAB A FEW THINGS UNDERWATER.

>> WERE THERE ANY CRISISMOMENTS.

BECAUSE THOSE THINGS TEND TOBREAK AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE

>> WE HAD SPECIFICALLY THEREWAS ONE WHERE WE WERE

GETTING WATER LEAKING INTOTHE ELECTRONICS COMPARTMENT

BUT LUCKILY ONE OF OURFRIENDS CAME UP WITH A GREAT

IDEA TO FIX IT.

>> WHAT -->> HE USED-- TAMPONS TO GET

OUT THE -->> REALLY.

>> OUT OF THE ELECTRONICS.

>> THAT WOULD BE A PRETTYGOOD COMMERCIAL.

>> YES.

>> BECAUSE THEY NEVER SHOWWHAT THEY ARE REALLY FOR.

WE'VE GOT A CLIP OF THE MOVIE,LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THIS.

>> HERE WAS A HIGH SCHOOLTEAM THAT HAD ENTERED THE

COLLEGIATE DIVISION OF THECOMPETITION.

OBSERVATIONLY CALLED THEEXPLORER CLASS.

IT WAS FOR MULTIFUNCTIONALREMOTELY OPERATED VEHICLES.

>> WE WERE GOING WITH THEMIND-SET THAT WE WERE GOING

MAINLY AS OBSERVERS AS ANEXPLORATORY TYPE OF THING.

IF WE ENTER THE HIGH SCHOOLLEVEL AND WE GET BEAT THAT

WILL BE EMBARRASSING.

>> THE TEACHERS DIDN'T WANTTHE BOYS TO GET TOTALLY

DEMORALIZED.

>> WE FIGURED IF WE ENTEREDTHE COLLEGE LEVEL AND LOST IT

WOULDN'T BE SUCH A BIGDEAL.

>> I WAS LIKE MAN, AS LONGAS WE DON'T FINISH LAST, WE

KNEW WE WEREN'T GOING TOWIN.

AND IF WE JUST BEAT ONECOLLEGE THAT WOULD BE

PHENOMENAL.

>> I ASSUME YOU GOTSCHOLARSHIPS, WENT TO

COLLEGE.

BECAUSE WE DO NEED ENGINEERSWHAT HAPPENED TO THE TEAM

>> WELL, AFTER GRADUATINGHIGH SCHOOL, I WENT TO

COMMUNITY COLLEGE FIRST.

THEN I WENT TO ARIZONA STATEUNIVERSITY.

BUT DURING THAT TIME ARIZONAPASSED THE LAW THAT KIND OF

PREVENTED US FROM GETTINGSCHOLARSHIPS TO GO TO

ARIZONA STATE SO ONE OF MYTEAMMATES HAD TO DROP OUT OF

COLLEGE FOR THAT REASON.

>> ARE YOU WORKING AS ANENGINEER NOW.

>> I'M WORKING IN THEENGINEERING FIELD YES.

>> SO YOU SELF-DEPORTED, SOMITT ROMNEY WAS RIGHT.

YOU SELF-DEPORTED AND WENTBACK TO MEXICO AND GOT BACK

IN LINE.

HOW DID YOU GET BACK IN.

>> SENATOR DICK DURBIN HEARDABOUT MY STORY THROUGH SOME

OF THE LOCAL LEADERS AND HEKIND OF LOOKED AT MY

APPLICATION ONE MORE TIMEAND ONCE THEY DID, THEY GAVE

ME A GREEN CARD AFTERWARDSAND THEN YOU JOINED THE

MILITARY.

>> JOINED THE ARMY.

>> AND SERVED INAFGHANISTAN.

>> YES, I DID, ONE TOUR INAFGHANISTAN.

>> OKAY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> IF YOU EVER GET SICK GET

YOURSELF TO A LOWES BY THEWAY.

>> I WILL KEEP THAT IN MINDOKAY.

SO WHAT IS THE MESSAGE HEREBECAUSE I'M FEELING A

MESSAGE.

>> WHAT MESSAGE ARE YOUFEELING?

>>.

>> I'M FEELING THATIMMIGRANTS THAT WE MAY NOT

NECESSARILY WANT IN THISCOUNTRY HAVE --

>> CAN ACTUALLY DO GOODTHINGS.

>> Stephen: DON'T INTERRUPTME.

(LAUGHTER)>> I WAS SO CLOSE, I WAS SO

CLOSE TO GETTING YOURMESSAGE.

NOW I THINK THE MESSAGE ISSECURE OUR BORDERS.

(LAUGHTER)ONE THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND,

OSCAR, IS WHY AS SOMEONECOMING FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY

TO THE UNITED STATES LOOKINGFOR A JOB WOULD YOU WANT TO

BUILD ROBOTS.

BECAUSE THE ROBOTS ARE GOINGTO TAKE ALL OF OUR JOBS.

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, I HAVENO ANSWER FOR THAT ACTUALLY.

>> ALL RIGHT.

>> I LIKE THAT.

>> OSCAR, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> THE MOVIE IS UNDERWATER

DREAMS.

ORDER IT NOW.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

>> THAT'S IT FOR THE REPORT,EVERYBODY, GOOD NIGHT.

Loading...