Al Gore

  • Aired:  09/13/11
  •  | Views: 61,642

Al Gore talks about his work on the Climate Reality Project and marvels at the sophistication of Stephen's global warming metaphor. (6:43)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MY GUEST

TONIGHT HAS A NOBEL PRIZE.

BIG DEAL.

ALL MY GUESTS DO.

(LAUGHTER)

PLEASE WELCOME AL GORE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

MR. VICE PRESIDENT, THANK YOU SO

MUCH FOR JOINING US.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

WHAT AN HONOR TO FINALLY HAVE

YOU NEAR WITHER UNDERNEATH THE

GLARE OF MY SCORN.

(LAUGHTER)

NOW, SIR, LET'S GET SOME

POLITICS OUT OF THE WAY FIRST,

MAY WE?

>> OF COURSE.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

RICK PERRY ENDORSED YOU IN 1988.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: WILL YOU RETURN THE

FAVOR?

(LAUGHTER)

RIGHT NOW AND ENDORSE RICK

PERRY.

>> WELL, IT WOULD HURT HIM A

LOT.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: IS THAT AN

ENDORSEMENT.

>> NO, IT'S NOT.

>> Stephen: SO BECAUSE AN

ENDORSEMENT WOULD HURT HIM AND

YOU WON'T ENDORSE HIM ISN'T THAT

IN ITSELF AN ENDORSEMENT?

>> UM... YOU COULD PUT IT THAT

WAY.

>> Stephen: I JUST DID.

>> YES!

HE WAS A DEMOCRAT BACK THEN.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

>> Stephen: WEREN'T WE ALL.

(LAUGHTER)

I'VE GOT A LITTLE FOLLOW-UP,

RICK PERRY QUESTION FOR YOU.

RICK PERRY SAID IN ONE OF THE

RECENT DEBATES, HE SAID OF

GLOBAL WARMING, HE SAID "BACK IN

THE 17th CENTURY, ONLY GALILEO

SAID EARTH REVOLVED AROUND THE

SUN, EVERYBODY ELSE SAID THE SUN

RESOLVED AROUND THE EARTH."

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?

GALILEO OR GLOBAL WARMING?

(LAUGHTER)

BECAUSE RICK PERRY SAYS YOU

CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

THE SCIENCE ISN'T IN YET, IS IT?

>> WELL, IT IS IN AND....

>> Stephen: I HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

>> STEPHEN, THE EARTH DOES GO

AROUND THE SUN.

LOOK OUTSIDE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: BUT THE SCIENCE ON

GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT IN YET.

>> WELL, IT IS.

EVERY NATIONAL ACADEMY OF

SCIENCE, EVERY MAJOR COUNTRY IN

THE WORLD AGREES AND THE

NATIONAL ACADEMY....

>> Stephen: THOSE ARE NATIONAL

ACADEMIES.

THOSE ARE GOVERNMENT SCIENTISTS

WHO ARE ON THE GOVERNMENT DOLE,

WE KNOW GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO

ANYTHING.

>> EVERY PROFESSIONAL SCIENTIFIC

SOCIETY IN EVERY FIELD RELATED

TO THE STUDY OF CLIMATE ENDORSES

IT.

97% TO 98% OF ALL THE CLIMATE

SCIENTISTS THAT ARE MOST ACTIVE

PUBLISHING IN THE FIELD AGREE

WITH IT.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT THAT SAYS

THERE IS GLOBAL WARMING.

I'LL ACCEPT THERE IS GLOBAL

WARMING.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE YOUR MOVIE

MADE MONEY.

(LAUGHTER)

THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN.

THE MARKET HAS SPOKEN.

WE GET EACH OTHER.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

BUT THAT'S... I'VE GOT SAY THAT

IS VERY 2007 THINKING.

BECAUSE THAT WAS A LUXURY TO

CARE.

>> IT'S GOTTEN WORSE SINCE THEN.

>> Stephen: YEAH, BUT SO HAS

EVERYTHING ELSE.

YOU KNOW?

YOU'RE A GUY WHO'S DOWN IN MY

BASEMENT SAYING HEY, YOU'VE GOT

A BROKEN FOUNDATION IN YOUR

HOUSE AND I'M TELLING YOU THAT

MY SECOND FLOOR'S ON FIRE.

THAT'S THE ECONOMY IN THIS

METAPHOR.

AND I HAVE TO PUT OUT THE

ECONOMY FIRE BEFORE I WORK WITH

YOUR FOUNDATION GLOBAL WARMING.

(LAUGHTER)

IS THIS TOO TECHNICAL?

(LAUGHTER)

>> I'M HORRIBLE AT THIS

SOPHISTICATION OF YOUR METAPHOR.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

WHERE'S MY NOBEL PRIZE?

(LAUGHTER)

>> IT'S GOT SO MUCH GOING ON IT

IN.

>>.

>> Stephen: YOU KNOW WHAT I'M

TALKING ABOUT.

OUR FOCUS IS ON, LIKE, EVERYDAY

NEEDS.

>> WELL, ONE OF THE REASONS IS

ECONOMY IS IN TROUBLE IS BECAUSE

WE KEEP GOING TO WAR IN THE

MIDDLE EAST IN THE PLACE WHERE

MOST OF THE OIL IS LOCATED AND

WE KEEP BORROWING MONEY FROM

CHINA TO BUY OIL FROM A MARKET

DOMINATED BY SAUDI ARABIA AND

THEN BURN IN THE WAYS THAT

DESTROY THE FUTURE OF THE

PLANET.

ALL OF THAT'S GOT TO CHANGE.

WE CAN PUT PEOPLE TO WORK AND

STRENGTHEN THE ECONOMY BY

BUILDING SOLAR AND WIND

FACILITIES, REFURBISHING

INEFFICIENT BUILDINGS, BUILDING

SMART GRIDS AND FAST TRAINS AND

PUTTING PEOPLE WORK INSTEAD OF

CONTINUING THIS ADDICTION TO

VERY EXPENSIVE DIRTY OIL AND

COAL.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: THAT WAS VERY WELL

SAID.

SIR, THAT WAS VERY WELL SAID BUT

I SUSPECT THOSE ARE THE FIRST

100 WORDS YOU SAY EVERY MORNING.

(LAUGHTER)

WHILE YOU'RE SHAVING.

YOU'RE ONE OF THE CO-FOUNDERS OF

CURRENT T.V. AND YOU'RE PLANNING

SOMETHING CALLED THE CLIMATE

REALITY PROJECT.

IT'S A 24 HOUR BOARD WIDE EVENT

STARTING IN MEXICO CITY.

WHAT HAPPENS?

>> 24 HOURS IN REALITY WHICH IS

STREAMED LIVE ON THE INTERNET

FOR 24 HOURS IN ALL 24 TIME

ZONES, IT FOCUSES ON THE

CONNECTION BETWEEN... BETWEEN

THE CLIMATE CRISIS AND THE

EXTREME WEATHER EVENTS WE'VE

BEEN HAVING.

YOU CAN SEE IT LIVE ON, STREAM,

YOU CAN GO TO

CLIMATEREALITYPROJECT.ORG ON THE

INTERNET.

>> Stephen: AND I CAN WATCH 24

HOURS OF PEOPLE TESTIFYING ON

HOW THEY'RE AFFECTED BY GLOBAL

WARMING AND THE SOLUTIONS?

I CAN WATCH THAT FOR 24 HOURS

WITHOUT STOPPING?

>> WELL, YOU CAN IN 13

LANGUAGES.

>> WOW.

SO YOU WANT TO KEEP MY COMPUTER

ON FOR 24 HOURS AND TALK ABOUT

CONSERVING ENERGY?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: THAT'S A MIXED

MESSAGE, SIR.

>> AND YOU CAN BURN MORE ENERGY

BY WATCHING IT LIVE ON

TELEVISION ON CURRENT T.V.

DURING THE FINAL HOUR.

ON SEPTEMBER 15.

>> Stephen: IS KEITH OLBERMANN

PART OF THIS?

HE'S ON CURRENT T.V.

>> KEITH IS DOING GREAT.

HE'S NOT ON THIS PARTICULAR

PROGRAM.

>> I'M WORRIED ABOUT THAT.

HE SCARES ME.

IS HE STILL YELLING A LOT?

>> WELL, HE SCARES FOX NEWS AND

HE SCARES YOUR CHARACTER,

ABSOLUTELY, AS HE SHOULD:.

>> Stephen: MY CHARACTER?

(LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE)

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING

ABOUT, SIR?

>> I FORGOT FOR A MOMENT.

I'M SO SORRY.

>> Stephen: YOU FORGOT ONE WHAT?

YOU'VE COMPLETELY LOST ME!

>> I'VE BEEN SO FOCUSED ON THIS

REALITY PROJECT.

>> Stephen: AS WELL YOU SHOULD!

AS WELL YOU SHOULD, SIR.

I THINK OUR JOB IS DONE HERE.

(APPLAUSE)

THE THANK YOU, AL GORE.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

AL GORE, THE LIVE ONLINE

BROADCAST.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

THANK YOU.

(CHEERS AND APP

Loading...