Henry Kissinger Pt. 2

  • Aired:  06/13/11
  •  | Views: 19,927

Henry Kissinger and Stephen have a difference of opinion regarding the Cold War. (4:18)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK.

WE NOW REJOIN MY PEABODY

AWARD-WINNING INTERVIEW CAN

HENRY KISSINGER ALREADY IN

PROGRESS.

WHAT WAS MAO LIKE BECAUSE

THERE AREN'T THAT MANY

PEOPLE COY EVER INTERVIEW

AND SAY WHAT WAS MAO LIKE?

WHAT WAS MAO LIKE, WAS HE A

FUNGI?

>> I WOULDN'T USE THAT WORD

FUN.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU TALK

TO A GUY LIKE MAO?

BECAUSE HE'S RESPONSIBLE FOR

THE DEATH OF MILLIONS OF

PEOPLE.

DO YOU PUT THAT ASIDE WHEN

YOU TALK TO HIM OR DO YOU

NOT BRING IT UP OR DOW

ADDRESS IT.

>> THERE WERE TWO SIDES TO

MAO.

HE WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE

DEATH OF TENS OF MILLIONS OF

PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: YES.

>> BUT IN HIS CONTACT WITH

AMERICANS, HIS BEHAVIOR WAS

SARCASTIC, POLITE, SPEAKING

IN A SERIOUS-- SERIES OF-- SO

HE HAD AN INTERESTING MIND.

BUT YOU, OF COURSE, ALWAYS

KNEW THAT THERE WAS THAT

OTHER SIDE.

>> Stephen: THERE WAS A

MONSTER BEHIND THE MASK.

>> THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT

OTHER SIDE.

>> Stephen: IS THERE

ANYTHING TO ADMIRE ABOUT

MAO?

>> WELL, IF YOU MEASURE IT

IN TERMS OF ACHIEVEMENTS, OF

UNIFYING CHINA AND GAINING

BACK SOME SELF-RESPECT, THAT

IS WHAT MANY CHINESE ADMIRED

ABOUT HIM.

WHAT PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I

WOULD HAVE TO CONSIDER IS TO

ASK WHAT IS IT WORTH.

THESE TENS OF MILLIONS OF

LIVES.

AND WE WOULD HAVE TO-- WE

WOULD SAY NO, WITHIN CHINA

THE OPINION WOULD BE DIVIDED.

>> Stephen: WE HAVE

SOMETHING WE DO ON THE SHOW

CALLED WORLD WAR UPDATE

BECAUSE I DON'T CARE WHAT

ANYBODY SAYS, THE COLD WAR

IS NOT OVER, OKAY.

(LAUGHTER)

(LAUGHTER)

CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO SOME OF

MY YOUNGER VIEWERS WHAT THE

COLD WAR WAS BECAUSE IT'S

HARD FOR THEM TO KNOW, THE

NER VOWSNESS OF IT.

>> WELL, THE COLD WAR WITH

RUSSIA IS SORT OF IS OVER.

BUT THE-- .

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW, I

DON'T KNOW.

I THINK THEY'RE JUST PLAYING

POSSUM, THEY'RE TRYING TO

GET US TO LOWER OUR GUARD

AND THEY LAUNCH THE MISSILE.

>> WELL, YOU AND I HAVE-- .

>> Stephen: A DIFFERENCE OF

OPINION.

>> A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION.

AT THAT TIME YOU KNEW THAT

IF A WAR OCCURRED, IT WOULD

BE MILLIONS OF CASUALTIES,

OR COULD BE IN A NUMBER OF

HOURS.

ON THE OTHER HAND, IF YOU

COMMITTED THAT TO DOMINATE

YOU COMPLETELY, YOU'D HAVE

TO YIELD WHENEVER AN ISSUE

CAME UP.

>> Stephen: THAT SENSE OF AN

EXISTENTIAL THREAT Z IT

EXCUSE EVERYTHING ON BOTH

SIDES?

I MEAN PEOPLE HAVE

CRITICIZED OUR INTERVENTION

IN SOUTHEAST ASIA.

OUR INTERVENTION IN

INDONESIA, IN SOUTH AMERICA.

WERE THOSE-- I THINK THAT

ANYTHING WAS WORTH WINNING

THE COLD WAR.

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THOSE

CRITICS?

>> WELL, I THINK IT WAS VERY

IMPORTANT TO WIN THE COLD

WAR.

BECAUSE THE ISSUE THEN WAS

WHETHER WE WOULD CONTINUE TO

HAVE A DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY OR

WHETHER IT'S SORT OF STALINIST,

MATERIALISTIC, TOTALLY

PLANNED SYSTEM WOULD TAKE

OVER.

>> Stephen: LIKE OBAMA IS

SETTING UP?

I KNOW YOU CAN'T SAY THAT

OUTLOUD BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO

HAVE DINNER WITH THESE

PEOPLE BUT LET'S CALL

IT-- LET'S CALL THAT ONE.

>> I DON'T GET INVITED TO

DIN THEIR OFTEN WITH OBAMA.

>> Stephen: I NEVER GET

INVITED.

TAKE ME WITH YOU THE NEXT

TIME YOU GO.

DR. KISSINGER, THANK YOU SO

MUCH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: THE BOOK IS "ON

CHINA"

THE MAN IS HENRY KISSINGER.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Loading...