Campbell Brown

  • Aired:  07/31/14
  •  | Views: 36,600

Partnership for Educational Justice founder Campbell Brown argues for the need to do away with teacher tenure in New York's public schools. (7:57)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY, MY GUEST TONIGHT

IS THE FOUNDER OF THEEDUCATIONAL REFORM GROUP,

PARENTS TRANSPARENCY PROJECT.ONE OF THEIR FIRST GOALS: SAYING

"PARENTS TRANSPARENCY PROJECT" 3TIMES FAST.

PLEASE WELCOME CAMPBELLBROWN.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)CAMPBELL GOOD TO

SEE YOU, THANKS FOR COMINGON.

NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

IT HAS BEEN AWHILE.

>> IT AS BEEN AWHILE.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE A FORMERANCHOR FOR CNN AND NBC.

SINCE LEAVING TV NEWS YOUHAVE BECOME AN ADVOCATE FOR

SCHOOL CHOICE AND EDUCATIONREFORM. MOST RECENT PROJECT

IS THE PARTNERSHIP FOREDUCATIONAL JUSTICE WHICH FILED

SUIT AGAINST THE STATE OF NEWYORK THIS WEEK CHALLENGING

TEACHER TENURE IN THE PUBLICSCHOOL.

NOW I'M NO FAN OF UNIONS,BUT WHY DO YOU HAVE YOUR

GUNS OUT FOR THESE PEOPLE.

IS IT THE SAME REASON I AM?

SO THEY CAN QUIT THEIRLAVISH LIFESTYLE OF THEIR

1983 HONDA CIVICSDRIVING AROUND TOWN?

>> FIRST LET ME CORRECTSOMETHING YOU SAID.

WE'RE NOT FILING THELAWSUIT.

SEVEN PARENTS IN NEW YORKCITY WHO HAVE KIDS IN NEW

YORK STATE WHO HAVE KIDS INPUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE BRINGING

THIS LAWSUIT.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS YOURROLE, JUST A BUTINSKI?

>> WE'RE HELPING THEM ANDSUPPORTING THEM.

>> Stephen: HOW ARE YOUSUPPORTING THEM, GIVING THEM

MONEY, CASH?

>> NO, WE'RE HELPING THEMFIND LEGAL HELP IN ORDER TO

BRING THEIR CASE.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE NOTHELPING PAY FOR THE LEGAL

HELP.

>> THE LEGAL HELP IS PROBONO.

>> Stephen: IT'S PRO BONO.

I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH.

(LAUGHTER)SORRY, NO HABLA PRO BONO.

>> KIRKLAND & ELLIS IS THE LAWFIRM DOING THE WORK AND THEY'RE

DOING IT FOR FREE, THAT MEANSFOR FREE.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

SO YOU GOT SOME PEOPLE MADAT YOU FOR THIS.

THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN VERYOFTEN BUT THERE WERE

PROTESTORS OUTSIDE OF MYSTUDIO TODAY.

>> I HEARD.

>> Stephen: GOING AFTER ACAMPBELL BROWN.

WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO UPSETTHESE PEOPLE?

>> WELL, I MEAN THEY'RETRYING TO SILENCE THE DEBATE,

THAT IS A REALLY IMPORTANTDEBATE THAT WE SHOULD BE

HAVING IN THIS COUNTRY.

>> Stephen: DO THEY NOT HAVETHE RIGHT TO PROTEST?

ARE YOU SILENCING THEPROTEST.

>> ABSOLUTELY NOT.

BUT I WANT THESE PARENTS TOHAVE A VOICE IN THIS DEBATE

TOO.

AND WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TODO IS CHANGE A PUBLIC

EDUCATION SYSTEM IN THISCOUNTRY THAT PEOPLE ACROSS

THE POLITICAL SPECTRUMBELIEVE IS IN CRISIS AND

NEEDS TO CHANGE.

>> Stephen: HOW IS IT CRISISIN NEW YORK, WHAT IS THE

PROBLEM HERE.

>> SO IF YOU LOOK AT THEOUTCOMES, STUDENT OUTCOMES

IN NEW YORK, OKAY, SO 91% OFTEACHERS AROUND THE STATE OF

NEW YORK ARE RATED EITHEREFFECTIVE OR HIGHLY

EFFECTIVE AND YET 31%, 31%OF OUR KIDS ARE READING,

WRITING AND DOING MATH ATGRADE LEVEL.

HOW DOES THAT COMPUTE.

HOW YOU CAN ARGUE THE STATUSQUO IS OKAY WITH NUMBERS

LIKE THAT.

>> Stephen: I WENT TO PUBLICSCHOOL IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND

31% SOUNDS LIKE A MAJORITYTO ME.

OKAY.

OKAY.

BUT SO WHY ARE WEBLAMING-- WHY ARE WE BLAMING

THE TEACHERS?

MAYBE IT'S THE DUMB KIDS,YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT?

KIDS ARE RATED EFFECTIVEMAYBE WE CUT THE KIDS LOOSE

AND PUT THEM BACK IN THEBOBBIN FACTORY.

>> THIS IS NOT ABOUT BLAMINGTEACHERS.

>> Stephen: BLAMING TEACHERS,SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE, THE

TEACHERS UNION, HERE, AREN'TYOU.

>> I AM BLAMING THETEACHER'S UNION BECAUSE THEY

ARE FIGHTING ATTEMPTS TOCHANGE LAWS THAT ARE

ANACHRONISTIC.

>> Stephen: AGAIN, IDON'T --

>> OUTDATED, ANTIQUATED.

>> Stephen: OKAY, THATSOUNDS GOOD.

>> SO YOU KNOW, IT COMESDOWN TO WHAT YOUR PRIORITIES

ARE.

AND IF PUBLIC EDUCATION ISABOUT KIDS, THEN EVERY

DECISION WE MAKE SHOULD BEFOCUSED ON THE QUESTION OF

IS THIS GOOD FOR A CHILD.

AND THAT SHOULD BE THEDRIVING FOCUS AND THE

PRIORITY, WHEN WE DECIDEWHAT OUR POLICIES SHOULD BE

AND WHAT OUR LAWS SHOULD BE.

(APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: THEY'RE GOING TO

CLAP -->> WHAT DO THEY KNOW.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE PLAYINGTHE GOOD FOR CHILD CARD.

OKAY.

IS THIS BASED ON CHILDRENBEING ABLE TO GET ACCESS TO

EQUAL EDUCATION?

>> THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT.

THERE WAS A SIMILAR CASE INCALIFORNIA.

AND THE PLAINTIFFS IN THATCASE WON.

AND SOME OF OUR PLAINTIFFSTHE HERE TONIGHT ARE HAPPY TO

BE HERE.

>> Stephen: YOU CAN MENTIONT I WILL EDITED IT OUT BUT

YOU CAN MENTION IT.

THE THING IS AREN'T YOUOPENING A CAN OF WORMS THERE

BECAUSE IF YOU SAY THE KIDSARE ENTITLED TO EQUAL

EDUCATION IF THAT IS YOURARGUMENT, DOESN'T THAT MEAN

EVENTUALLY YOU'RE GOING TOSAY EVERY CHILD IN THE STATE

OF NEW YORK SHOULD HAVE THESAME AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT

ON THEIR EDUCATION?

RICH COMMUNITY, POORCOMMUNITY, POOL IT ALL IN,

SPLIT IT ALL UP AMONG BOBBY ,SUSIE AND BILLY EVERYWHERE.

BECAUSE THE ARGUMENT ISEVERYONE GETS THE SAME

OPPORTUNITY.

>> BUT YOU'RE SUGGESTINGTHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT THE

MONEY.

AND I THINK-- .

>> Stephen: YOU'RESUGGESTING IT'S ABOUT

EQUALITY AND MONEY IS ONE OFTHE EQUATIONS IN EQUALITY OR

HAVE I JUST SCHOOLED YOU?

>> THERE HAVE BEEN MANYCASES BROUGHT TO FIGHT THE

CAUSE THAT ARE YOU BRINGINGUP RIGHT NOW.

BUT IN ADDITION TO THAT,BECAUSE I DO THINK THERE

SHOULD BE EQUALITY IN THEMONEY.

I THINK WE SHOULD BE PAYINGTEACHERS MORE.

BUT ON TOP OF THAT WE SHOULDALSO BE TREATING TEACHERS

LIKE PROFESSIONALS,EVALUATING THEM AND TRYING

TO GET AN EFFECTIVE TEACHER INEVERY KID'S

CLASSROOM.

AND ALL THE RESEARCH SHOWSTHAT THE LEAST EFFECTIVE

TEACHERS ARE BEING CENTEREDIN THE MOST DISADVANTAGED

SCHOOLS.

SO THE POOR-- .

>> Stephen: HOW DOES THATWORK OUT.

>> SO WHAT THE TENURE LAWSDO COMBINED WITH DISMISSAL

PROTECTIONS IS MAKE ITIMPOSSIBLE TO FIRE A TEACHER

WHO IS FOUND TO BEINCOMPETENT.

IT TAKES ON AVERAGE 830 DAYSTO FIRE A TEACHER WHO HAS

BEEN FOUND TO BEINCOMPETENT.

>> Stephen: WHO GETS TO SAYWHETHER A TEACHER IS A GOOD

OR BAD TEACHER.

WHO GETS TO MAKE THAT CALL.

>> IT'S A COMBINATION OF THEPRINCIPALS AND THE PEOPLE

WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF, YOUKNOW, YOU HAVE TO EVALUATE.

>> Stephen: PARENTSCOMPLAINING.

>> IF A LOT OF PARENTS ARECOMPLAINING, THERE IS

PROBABLY SOMETHING TO THAT.

>> Stephen: WHAT IF ARE YOUSOMEPLACE WHERE THE PARENTS

DON'T WANT CERTAIN THINGSTAUGHT TO THE KIDS, BECAUSE

I WOULD LOVE MY KIDS NOT TOBE TAUGHT EVOLUTION.

COULD I GET A TEACHER FIREDIF I BELIEVED EVOLUTION

WASN'T A GOOD THING IF THEYDIDN'T HAVE TENURE.

>> THAT IS ONE OF THEARGUMENTS IS THAT THEY'RE

GOING TO LOSE-- .

>> Stephen: I'M IN THE INTHE UNION.

>> THEY ARE GOING TO LOSEDUE PROCESS IF WE CHANGE

THESE LAWS BUT THAT'S SIMPLYNOT TRUE.

EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO DUEPROCESS AND A RIGHT TO A

FAIR HEARING.

IT'S VERY HARD TO ARGUE THATA LAW THAT MAKES TEACHER

LAYOFF DECISIONS OREMPLOYMENT DECISIONS SOLELY

BASED ON SENIORITY IS THERIGHT THING TO DO.

WHEN YOU HAVE THE TEACHER OFTHE YEAR IN CALIFORNIA BEING

LAID OFF AND A TEACHER WHOHAS BEEN FOUND TO BE

INCOMPETENT KEEPING THEIRJOB.

WHAT DOES THAT DO TO THEKIDS?

I GET THAT YOU WANT TODEFEND TEACHERS.

AND NOBODY WANTS TO ATTACKTEACHERS.

>> Stephen: I DON'T REALLYWANT TO DEFEND TEACHERS OR

UNIONS, I MOSTLY JUST WANTTO ATTACK YOU.

JUST TRYING TO WIN,CAMPBELL.

>> WHY.

>> Stephen: JUST TRYING TOWIN, ALL RIGHT.

YOUR ORGANIZATION, WHEREDOES ITS MONEY COMES FROM.

THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGSTHEY ASKED ME TO ASK YOU.

>> I SAW THAT ON MY TWITTERFEED TODAY.

WHO IS FUNDING THIS EFFORT?

>> Stephen: WHO IS FUNDINGYOUR EFFORT.

>> KIRKLAND ELLIS, THE LAWFIRM.

>> Stephen: THE LAW FIRM ISFUNDING IT.

>> THE LAW FIRM IS DOINGTHIS FOR FREE SO WE HAVEN'T

GONE OUT TO RAISE MONEY.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVEN'TRAISED ANY MONEY.

>> I'M GOING IT TO BERAISING LOTS OF MONEY

BECAUSE WE'RE GOING TO TRYTO BRING-- .

>> Stephen: AFTER THIS, THECOLBERT BUMP, YOU'RE GOING

TO BE ROLLING IN IT.

(APPLAUSE)>> BUT WE WANT THIS TO BE,

WE WANT THIS TO BE ANATIONAL EFFORT.

WE WANT TO HELP PARENTS INSTATES ACROSS THE COUNTRY

WHO WANT TO DO SIMILARTHINGS.

>> Stephen: SO ITSPARTNERSHIP FOR EDUCATIONAL

JUSTICE HAS NOT RAISED ANYMONEY SO FAR.

>> YEAH, WE ARE RAISINGMONEY.

>> Stephen: WHO DID YOURAISE IT FROM.

>> I'M NOT GOING TO REVEALTHE DONORS.

>> Stephen: I RESPECT THATBECAUSE I HAVE HAD A SUPER

PAC.

>> I HEAR YOU.

BUT PART OF THE REASON ISTHE PEOPLE WHO ARE OUTSIDE

TODAY TRYING TO PROTEST,TRYING TO SILENCE OUR

PARENTS WHO WANT TO HAVE AVOICE.

>> Stephen: EXERCISING THEFIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

BUT THEY'RE ALSO GOING TO GOAFTER PEOPLE WHO ARE FUNDING

THIS.

AND I THINK THIS IS A GOODCAUSE AND AN IMPORTANT

CAUSE.

AND IF SOMEONE WANTS TOCONTRIBUTE TO THIS CAUSE

WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT THEIRNAME ON IT, SO THEY BECOME A

TARGET OF THE PEOPLE WHO AREOUTSIDE EARLIER TODAY, THEN

I RESPECT THAT.

>> Stephen: WELL, I RESPECTYOU.

(LAUGHTER)I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT

WHO I WOULD RESPECT AT THISTABLE.

AND THERE WAS NO ONE LEFTBUT YOU.

CAMPBELL, THANK YOU SO MUCHFOR JOINING US.

>> GOOD TO SEE YOU.

>> Stephen: CAMPBELL BROWN,PARTNERSHIP FOR EDUCATIONAL

JUSTICE. WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...