Naquasia LeGrand

  • Aired:  01/16/14
  •  | Views: 95,394

"Fast Food Forward" member Naquasia LeGrand discusses organizing strikes for her fellow fast-food workers and argues for increasing the minimum wage. (6:31)

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT WORKS AT KFC AND IS ORGANIZING WORKERS FOR

A HIGHER WAGE. AFTER THISINTERVIEW, SHE'S GOING TO

BE EXTRA CRISPY.

PLEASE WELCOME NAQUASIA LEGRAND.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)THANKS SOME FOR COMING

ON.

OKAY, LET'S TELL THE PEOPLEOUT HERE WHO YOU ARE.

YOU ARE A 22-YEAR-OLD WORKERAT KFC.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: WHO HAS BEENORGANIZING FLASH STRIKES TO

HELP PUSH FOR A 15 DOLLAR ANHOUR MINIMUM WAGE AT

FAST-FOOD RESTAURANTS,RIGHT?

(APPLAUSE)>> AND DON'T FORGET THE

RIGHT TO UNIONIZE WITHOUTRETALIATION.

>> Stephen: THE RIGHT TOUNIONIZE WITHOUT

RETALIATION.

>> YES, SIR.

>> Stephen: OKAY, AND THISHAS LEAD TO, THE FIRST ONE

WAS IN NOVEMBER OF 2012.

AND HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE ATTHAT ONE.

>> A HANDFUL, 200.

>> Stephen: A YEAR LATER,YOU GUYS HELD THIS STRIKE

AND THERE WERESTRIKES IN OVER 100 CITIES

ACROSS THE UNITED STATES,ORGANIZING FOR UNIONS IN

FAST-FOOD RESTAURANTS AND AHIGHER MINIMUM WAGE.

>> YES, SIR.

>> Stephen: I HAVE NEVERSPOKEN TO SOMEONE IN YOUR

INDUSTRY WITHOUT YELLING THEPHRASE HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE

TO FRY SOMETHING, WHERE IS MYORDER.

OKAY, SO LET ME UNDERSTAND,LET ME UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU

ARE COMING FROM.

YOU'RE EMPLOYED RIGHT NOW,RIGHT?

>> YES, SIR.

>> Stephen: AND WHAT DO YOUMAKE AN HOUR?

>> I MAKE RIGHT NOW I'MMAKING $8, BECAUSE FAST FOOD

WORKERS LIKE US, YOU KNOW,STOOD UP AND HAVE A VOICE,

SO NOW I'M MAKING $8 ANHOUR.

>> Stephen: SO IT WAS 7.25MINIMUM WAGE IN NEW YORK AND

IT'S GONE TO $8 IN THE LASTYEAR.

>> YES, SIR.

>> Stephen: SO YOUUNDERSTAND THAT THAT EXTRA

75 CENT AN HOUR IS PASSED ONTO A CONSUMER LIKE ME.

AND I COULD BE PAYING MORETHAN 4 CENTS MORE FOR MY GO

CUP, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT.

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARETAKE MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET

WHEN YOU DO THAT.

>> HEY, THESEMULTIBILLION-DOLLARS COMPANIES

ARE TAKING MONEY OUT OFMY POCKET TOO.

I WORK AND GIVE THEM ALLTHAT MONEY, THEY CAN AFFORD

TO GIVE IT TO ME.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT YOU-- WHY

NOT JUST WORK MORE.

HOW MANY HOURS DO YOU WORK AWEEK.

>> WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, STEVE,STEVE, HOLD ON.

(LAUGHTER)>> I DON'T KNOW IF PEOPLE

TOLD YOU, I WORK AT TWO KFCsAND STILL COULDN'T MAKE IT,

I DID TWO KFCs, 35 HOURS ATTHE END OF THE WEEK AND

STILL DIDN'T MAKE IT I STILLHAVE A METROCARD I NEED, FAMILY

TO FEED AND MAKE SURE BILLS AREPAID AT A CERTAIN TIME.

AND I STILL COULD NOT DOTHAT WITH WORKING TWO KFCs.

>> Stephen: YOU WERE WORKINGAT TWO KFC.

DO YOU STILL.

>> NO, SIR.

>> Stephen: SO.

>> SO NOW I'M ONLY MAKING $8,ONLY 15 HOURS A WEEK.

SO-- YOU TELL ME, STEVE.

>> Stephen: WHY NOT TWOSHIFTS, WHY NOT OVER 30

HOURS.

>> WHY NOT GO OVER 30 HOURSA WEEK, ASK MY MANAGER THAT,

I DON'T KNOW.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE THEREQUIREMENT IN OBAMA CARE

THAT ANYONE WHO WORKS MORETHAN 30 HOURS A WEEK HAS

LEAD PLACES LIKE KFC WITHYOU WORK TO KEEP PEOPLE TO

PART-TIME SO THEY DON'T HAVETO PAY HEALTH CARE.

>> RIGHT, AND THAT'S WHYTHESE CORPORATIONS DON'T

WANT TO PAY.

THEY DON'T WANT TO PAY THATHEALTH CARE SO THAT'S WHY

THEY PUT PEOPLE UNDER 30HOURS A WEEK.

>> Stephen: OKAY S SO IT'SOBAMA'S FAULT.

>> IT'S OBAMA FAULT, NO,IT'S NOT OBAMA'S FAULT.

>> Stephen: BELIEVE ME, IYELLED ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS

AND IT ALWAYS FITS.

>> BUT IT STILL DOESN'TJUSTIFY THAT THESE

CORPORATIONS MAKING BILLIONSAND BILLIONS OF

DOLLARS.

>> Stephen: THESECORPORATIONS ARE THERE TO

MAKE MONEY, YOUNG LADY.

(APPLAUSE)IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE

MONEY WHY DIDN'T HAVE YOUTHE FORESIGHT TO BE A

MULTINATIONAL CORPORATION.

(LAUGHTER)>> STEVE, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT

ALL THAT I'M JUST TRYING TOHAVE A LIVING WAGE.

(APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WHY DO YOU NEED

TO ORGANIZE?

WHY CALL FOR UNIONS.

UNIONS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHINGOTHER THAN CHILD LABOR.

WHAT IS IT?

>> YOU KNOW WHY, YOU KNOWWHY?

BECAUSE WE AS-- MY ONE VOICECAN GO TO MY MANAGER AND BE

LIKE LISTEN, I WANT THESESET DAYS, I WANT THIS HOW

MUCH MONEY I WANT.

NO, I HAVE TO COME WITH ATEAM, WITH MY COWORKERS AND

OTHER WORKERS AROUND THECOUNTRY AND LET THEM KNOW

IT'S NOT JUST ME WHO ISGOING THROUGH THIS.

IT'S ALL OF US GOING THROUGHTHIS.

THAT IS WHAT MAKES A UNION.

AMERICANS COMING TOGETHER TOMAKE A DIFFERENCE AND HAVE A

VOICE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: I AM, I AM A

MAJOR STOCKHOLDER IN YUMFOODS WHICH OWNS KFC AND I

KNOW YOU WANT MORE MONEY ANDHEALTH CARE AND HUMAN

DIGNITY.

BUT I DON'T WANT YOU TO HAVETHOSE THINGS.

(LAUGHTER)IF IT WILL COST ME MORE

MONEY, IS THERE-- CAN WEMEET SOME PACE IN THE

MIDDLE?

LIKE YOU HAVE DIGNITY BUTNOT HUMAN DIGNITY.

OR HUMAN BUT NOT HAVE DIGNITY>> LET ME STILL YOU

SOMETHING, STEVE THERE ISNO COMPROMISE IN UNIONIZE,

OKAY.

(APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: YOU SAY YOU SAY

YOU ONLY WORKING 15 HOURS AWEEK RIGHT NOW.

>> YES, SIR.

>> Stephen: WHY NOT GET ASECOND JOB SOMEPLACE ELSE

AND JUST WORK THERE WHENYOU'RE NOT WORKING AT KTC.

>> BECAUSE MY MANAGER DON'TGIVE ME A-- IF I WANT TO

HAVE THAT EXTRA INCOME,THERE IS NO REASON WHY I

SHOULD HAVE A SECOND JOBWHEN THESE

MULTIBILLION-DOLLAR-- MULTIBILLION DOLLAR

COMPANIES HAVE THE MONEY TOPAY ME FOR THE WORK THAT I

DO.

I SHOULD HAVE THE-- .

>> Stephen: IT'S AMULTIBILLION-DOLLAR COMPANY

K IT'S A MULTIBILLION-DOLLARCOMPANY, YES, BUT LET'S KEEP

IN MIND.

THE CHAIRMAN IS ONLY MAKING$11 MILLION THIS YEAR.

ARE YOU AT ALL AFRAID THATTHE COLONEL MIGHT COME AFTER

YOU?

THAT GUY HAS GOT MILITARYEXPERIENCE, YOU KNOW, HE CAN

RIDE DOWN ON YOU ON A CALVARYOR SOMETHING LIKE

THAT.

>> HEY, STEVE, IHAVE-- DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME, I

ONLY MAKE 15 HOURS A WEEK.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO LOSE.

HE GOING TO CUT ME DOWN TO10 HOURS?

>> Stephen: HE COULD TAKEAWAY YOUR EXTRA CRISPY.

BY THE WAY, I HAVE TO ASKALL MY GUESTS THIS, ORIGINAL

RECIPE OR EXTRA CRISPY?

>> ORIGINAL, BABY.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, THEMOVEMENT IS FAST FOOD FORWARD.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...