Syrian Conflict Action Plan

  • Aired:  09/09/13
  •  | Views: 24,351

Congress knows that the only thing less popular than attacking Syria is Congress, so clearly, Congress must approve an attack on Syria. (3:43)

NEXT UP, SYRIA.

(LAUGHTER)FOLKS, IT GIVES ME NO PLEASURE

TO SAY THAT BARACK OBAMA HASSCREWED THIS THING UP.

(LAUGHTER)TURNS OUT I WAS WRONG.

GIVES ME A GREAT DEAL OFPLEASURE-- BUT IT SHOULDN'T.

BECAUSE THIS IS BREWING INTO ACLEAR DISASTER THE AMERICAN

PEOPLE DO NOT WANT.

>> IN THE SENATE, 29 ARE AGAINSTMILITARY ACTION WITH 24

SUPPORTING A STRIKE.

IN THE HOUSE, 238 MEMBERS AREDEFINITE NO OR LEANING NO WITH

ONLY 26 IN FAVOR.

>> Stephen: 6-10 AMERICANSOPPOSE THIS.

>> THE PUBLIC IS DEAD SETAGAINST THIS.

>> Stephen: CONGRESS KNOWSTHAT THE ONLY THING LESS POPULAR

THAN ATTACKING SYRIA ISCONGRESS.

(LAUGHTER)SO CLEARLY CONGRESS MUST APPROVE

AN ATTACK ON SYRIA!

TELL THEM WHY, T.V. MAN.

>> THE PRESIDENT WANTS BUY-IN,RIGHT?

HE MAY NOT GET IT.

BUT IF HE DOES NOT GET BUY-IN ONTHIS, CAN YOU IMAGINE ANOTHER

PRESIDENT EVER GOING TO CONGRESSWITH THE SAME SORT OF REQUEST

FOR USE IN THE SAME SORT OFFORCE?

IT SETS A PRECEDENT FOR THEPRESIDENCY.

>> I THINK HE WILL GET HIS WAYON THIS OR THE PRESIDENCY WILL

WIN BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL -- THENEXT PRESIDENT WILL SAY "I'M NOT

GOING TO GO THROUGH THAT."

>> Stephen: YEAH, I MEAN THECONSTITUTION IS SUCH A HASSLE!

(LAUGHTER)I KNOW THEORETICALLY THERE ARE

CHECKS AND BALANCES AND STUFFBUT IF THE PRESIDENT ASKS FOR

WAR APPROVAL, CONGRESS HAS TOSAY YES EVERY TIME HE ASKS!

NO MATTER HOW THE AMERICANPEOPLE FEEL ABOUT IT OR ELSE THE

PRESIDENT WILL STOP ASKING ANDTHEN CONGRESS WILL NEVER HAVE A

CHANCE TO SAY NO, WHICH THEYMUST NEVER DO.

(LAUGHTER)IT'S LIKE IF YOUR TEENAGE SON

ASKS TO BORROW YOUR CAR.

IF YOU SAY NO THIS TIME, NEXTTIME HE'LL ATTACK SYRIA.

(LAUGHTER).

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)KIDS --

(LAUGHTER).

NOW FACED WITH THISCONSTITUTIONAL CRISIS OBAMA IS

GETTING DESPERATE.

YESTERDAY IN A ROSE GARDEN PRESSCONFERENCE HE TRIED TO DRAW

ATTENTION WITH HIS SYRIA PLANWITH ONE OF THOSE FLOPPY TUBE

MEN.

(LAUGHTER)THOUGH I'VE GOT TO SAY, THAT GUY

HAS A FIRMER SPINE THAN JOHNKERRY.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)WHO THIS MORNING RALLIED SUPPORT

FOR THE PRESIDENT WITH THISSTIRRING BATTLE CRY.

>> WE'RE NOT GOING TO WAR.

WE WILL BE ABLE TO HOLD BASHARAL-ASSAD ACCOUNTABLE IN A VERY

LIMITED, VERY TARGETED, VERYSHORT TERM EFFORT WITHOUT

ASSUMING RESPONSIBILITY FORSYRIA'S CIVIL WAR.

UNBELIEVABLY SMALL LIMITED KINDOF EFFORT.

>> Stephen: SO WATCH OUT,BASHAR AL-ASSAD!

AMERICA IS GOING TO BRING DOWNTHE UNBELIEVABLY SMALL HAMMER.

(LAUGHTER)BUT, TO BE CLEAR, TO BE CLEAR

WE'RE NOT LOOKING TO AFFECT THECOURSE OF THE NAIL.

(LAUGHTER)AND, FOLKS, AS BAD AS THEIR

SALES PITCH IS, THEIR TIMING ISWORSE.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THE CALENDARNOW BECAUSE WHILE THE PRESIDENT

TALKS ABOUT SYRIA AND THAT'S THENUMBER ONE THING ON HIS MIND,

AMERICANS HAVE THIS THING CALLEDTHEIR OWN LIFE.

FOR EXAMPLE, "MONDAY NIGHTFOOTBALL."

(AUDIENCE REACTS).

>> Stephen: YES.

AMERICANS ARE TIRED OF VIOLENCEIN THE MIDDLE EAST!

THEY WANT VIOLENCE IN THEN.F.L.!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

Loading...