Ken Roth

  • Aired:  01/06/14
  •  | Views: 18,004

Human Rights Watch's Ken Roth discusses his organization's mission to end human rights violations around the world. (6:54)

>> WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY,MY GUESS TONIGHT EXECUTIVE

DIRECTOR OF -- PLEASEWELCOME KEN ROTH.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)HEY, KEN.

GOOD TO SEE YOU THANKS SOMUCH FOR COMING ON NICE TO

SEE YOU AGAIN YOU ARE THEEXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF HUMAN

RIGHTS WATCH.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: WHAT DOES THATMEAN?

THAT SOUNDS MONSTEROUS,DOING HUMAN RIGHTS

VIOLATIONS GOING ON AND YOUJUST STAND THERE AND WATCH.

WHY NOT HUMAN RIGHTS DOSOMETHING ABOUT IT.

>> THAT'S WHAT WE TRY TO DO.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

>> DICTATORS AROUND THEWORLD HATE HAVING THEIR

HUMAN RIGHTS EXPOSED SO WEINVESTIGATE THEM, EXPOSE

WHAT THEY DO WE SHAME THEMAND PUT PRESSURE ON THEM TO

STOP.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU SHAMEDICTATORS.

>> NOBODY LIKES TO HAVETHEIR HUMAN RIGHT AS BUSES

KNOWN EVEN SADDAL HUGHESHUGHES TRIED TO HIDE THE

GENOCIDE.

>> Stephen: YEAH, I DON'TTELL ANYBODY ABOUT MY

INTERN.

>> I'LL HAVE A RESEARCHERHERE TOMORROW.

>> BUT IF YOU SHINE ASPOTLIGHT, GET THE PRESS TO

COVER AND REPORT THEY HATETHAT THEY TRY TO DISCREDIT

US.

ULTIMATELY THEY REALIZE THEYCAN'T CHANGE THE BAD PRESS

UNTIL THEY CHANGE THE BADCONDUCT.

>> Stephen: RIGHT BEFORE THEHOLIDAYS WE LOST NELSON

MANDELA CALLED BY MANY AGIANT BUT ALSO A COMMUNIST

AND A TERRORIST AT TIMES.

HOW DOES SOMEONE LIKEMANDELA BECKMAN DELLA.

>> WELL, FIRST OF ALL, HEWAS IN PRISON FOR 27 YEARS.

>> Stephen: AS A COMMUNISTAND A TERRORIST.

>> AS A PERSON WHO WANTED TOGET RID OF APARTHEID.

>> Stephen: HE BROKE THE LAWAND I'M NOT SOFT ON CRIME,

GO AHEAD.

>> FAIR ENOUGH, BECAUSE THELAW KEPT BLACK PEOPLE

SEPARATE AND SUPPRESSED.

HE WAS IN PRISON FOR 27YEARS.

HE CAME OUT AND RATHER THANSHOWING BITTERNESS TOWARDS

HIS JAILERS HE RECOGNIZEDTHEY WERE ALL SOUTH AFRICANS

AND HE WAS GOING TO CREATE ANEW SOUTH AFRICA, WHEN HE

WAS NEGOTIATING HIS FUTURE,HE MADE A PLACE FOR ALL

SOUTH AFRICANS UNDER THE LAWWITH RIGHTS FOR EVERYBODY.

THAT IS HOW MANDELA BECAMEMANDELA.

>> Stephen: SO HE FORGAVETHE PEOPLE WHO WERE

VIOLATING HUMAN RIGHTS.

>> IN ESSENCE, YES.

>> Stephen: WHY CAN'T YOUFORGIVE THE PEOPLE WHO-- WHY

CAN'T YOU BE MORE LIKENELSON PAN DELLA?

>> SO IF I AM OUT THERELOOKING FOR-- BECAUSE I WANT

TO GET IN LIKE ON THE GROUNDFLOOR ON THE NEXT MORAL

RIGHTOUSNESS OUT THERE,BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE

ON THE WRONG SIDE OFAPARTHEID AGAIN IT'S A LONG

STORY, A LONG STORY.

I THOUGHT WAS A GOOD IDEA.

TO THE BECAUSE THEY'RE BLACKBUT BECAUSE THEY WERE POOR.

BUT WE'LL MOVE ON.

>> YOU AND RONALD REAGAN.

>> EXACTLY.

GROVER NORQUIST.

I WAS OVER THERE-- NOW WHOWAS THE GUY LIKE IF I WANT

TO GET BEHIND, STARTPRINTING THE POSTERS AND

SELLING THE BUTTONS IF IWANT TO BE THE GUY THAT SAYS

I'M ON BOARD WITH MANDELAWHO IS MY NEW MANDELA.

>> I THINK THE MOST OBVIOUSONE IS THE CHINESE BY THE

NAME OF-- SHAPO.

>> THIS IS WHAT WORRIED ME.

>> WITHOUT WON THE NOBELPEACE PRIZE.

>> BIG DEAL,.

>> WHAT WORRIES ME IS THISONE IS GOING TO COST ME, ALL

RIGHT.

>> IN CHINA WE CAN'T DOANYTHING.

AM I GOING TO PROTEST THECHINESE GOVERNMENT, YOU

CAN'T DO THAT.

>> OKAY, IT'S NOT THE ROTHREPORT, IT'S "THE COLBERT

REPORT," LET ME TALK.

>> Stephen: IN THE 80s WECOULD SAY TO SOUTH AFRICA I

DON'T NEED YOUR GOLD, IDON'T NEED YOUR DIAMONDS, I

DON'T NEED YOUR BLACK MUMBAZZA, WE COULD BOYCOTT THAT

WE CAN'T BOYCOTT EVERYTHINGMADE.

THERE WOULD BE NOTHING TOBUY.

>> Stephen: CHINA MAKESEVERYTHING.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: SO WHAT LEVERAGECOULD WE HAVE AGAINST WHAT

LEO-- WHAT LEVERAGE WHAT CANWE DO FOR THIS CAT.

>> YOU TALK ABOUT HOWDICTATORS DIDN'T LIKE TO BE

SHAMED.

WHEN MANDELA DIED THECHINESE OFFICIAL MEDIA IN

DESCRIBING PAN DELLAWOULDN'T USE THE TERM

FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY OR NOBELPEACE PRIZE WHICH MANDELA

ALSO WON BECAUSE THEY WEREAFRAID IT WOULD REMIND

PEOPLE OF YOU KNOW WHO, THATGUY.

THEY'RE SO WORRIED ABOUTTHIS.

THEY'RE SO WORRIED ABOUTWHAT HE STANDS FOR WHICH IS

BASICALLY FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY,HUMAN RIGHTS FOR THE CHINESE

PEOPLE THAT THEY LOCKED HIMUP FOR 11 YEARS.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS HE INJAIL FOR.

>> FOR SO-CALLED INCITINGSTATE SUBVERSION.

>> Stephen: DID HE INCITESTATE SUBVERSION.

>> IF YOU SAY PROMOTINGDEMOCRACY, FREEDOM, IN CHINA,

YEAH.

>> Stephen: SO THERE IS ONEWHO IS THIS.

>> THIS IS NEBULA JAB WHO ISA BAHRAINI HUMAN RIGHTS

ACTIVIST, HE HEADS THELEADING HUMAN RIGHTS CENTER

IN BAHRAIN.

HE HAD AWE DOSIT OT THINKTHAT THE ARAB SPRING SHOULD

APPLY TO AN ARAB MONARCHY INBAHRAIN.

FOR THAT WHICH WAS ANATHEMAJUST TO THE BAHRAINA KING

BUT THE SAUDI KING NEXTDOOR.

THE LAST THING THEY WANTEDWAS A BEACON OF DEMOCRACY

ACROSS THE CAUSEWAY SO THEYLOCKED HIM UP AND HAVE BEEN

VIOLENTLY SUPPRESSING THEMOVEMENT HE WAS LEADING.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS HE INJAIL FOR.

>> AGAIN BASICALLY FORLEADING DEMONSTRATIONS.

>> Stephen: OKAY, OKAY.

KING HUMAD IS A FRIEND OFMINE, PRESIDENT AND KING AND

I GETTING TO.

DID YOU EVER SEE THEHANGOVER?

IT'S LIKE THAT EXCEPT THETIGER BELONGS THERE.

>> OF COURSE.

>> Stephen: WHAT DOW MEAN OFCOURSENESS IT'S THE UNITED

STATES.

ARE YOU FAMILY WITH AMERICANEXCEPTIONALISM.

>> YES, I KNOW.

>> Stephen: THEN I ACCEPTYOUR APOLOGY ON BEHALF OF

AMERICA WHAT HUMAN RIGHTS,YOU'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT

GUANTANAMO.

>> THERE'S GUANTANAMO.

>> Stephen: THAT'S NOT INTHE UNITED STATES, THAT'S IN

CUBA.

CHECKMATE.

>> YES,NESS I WAS IFGUANTANAMO.

>> Stephen: THEY LET YOUOUT.

>> MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALIZEIN ADDITION TO A DETENTION

CENTER IT ALSO A NAVAL BASETHERE IS A McDONALD'S AND A

MALL AND A SOCCER FIELD ANDELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

BUT THEY ALSO LOCKED UP 155PEOPLE WITHOUT ANY TRIAL,

ANY CHARGES IN THOSE CASES.

>> Stephen: WHAT ABOUTPEOPLE WHO GOT ARRESTED FOR

POT BEFORE IT WAS LEGAL INCOLORADO.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: ARE THOSE PEOPLEWHO ARE IN COLORADO?

JAIL FOR SOMETHING THAT ISNOW LEGAL?

ARE THEY THE VICTIMS OFHUMAN RIGHT AS BECAUSES?

>> WELL, I THINK THE DRUGWAR IS A GREAT IDEA IF YOU

WANT TO SORT OF RAISE THEPRICE OF DRUGS SO THAT YOU

ARE FUELING THE CARTELS FYOU WANT TO IMPRISON LARGE

NUMBERS OFA AFRICAN-AMERICANMALES NOR NONVIOLENT

OFFENSES.

IF YOU WANT TO INVADEPEOPLE'S PRIVACIES AROUND

THE WORLD, AROUND THE UNITEDSTATES, IT'S GREAT TO PURSUE

THE DRUG WAR.

>> Stephen: OKAY, WELL,THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

DAN ROTH, HUMAN RIGHTSWATCH.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...