Gary Johnson

  • Aired:  05/10/10
  •  | Views: 78,920

Gary Johnson wants the government to decriminalize marijuana and tell kids the truth about smoking pot. (5:02)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE FORMER GOVERNOR OF NEW MEXICO, WHICH I ASSUME MAKES HIM THE CURRENT

GOVERNOR OF OLD MEXICO.

PLEASE WELCOME GOVERNOR GARY JOHNSON.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

SIR, THANKS FOR COMING ON.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: NOW, SIR, YOU ARE THE FORMER GOVERNOR OF NEW MEXICO.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: CORRECT?

>> YES, I AM.

>> Stephen: I GET CONFUSED.

IS THAT THE GOOD MEXICO?

>> THAT IS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

NOW, LET'S GET RIGHT TO THE HEAT OF THE MEAT.

>> I THINK THAT MARIJUANA SHOULD BE LEGALIZED.

I THINK THAT 90% OF THE DRUG PROBLEM TODAY IS PROHIBITION-RELATED.

I THINK THAT IT'S CRAZY THAT HALF OF WHAT WE SPEND ON LAW ENFORCEMENT, THE COURTS AND THE

PRISONS IS DRUG RELATED, ABOUT $70 BILLION A YEAR.

I THINK IT'S INSANE THAT WE'RE ARRESTING 1.8 MILLION A PEOPLE A YEAR IN THIS COUNTRY ON

DRUG-RELATED CRIME.

STEPHEN, WHEN I SAY LEGALIZED MARIJUANA, IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE LEGAL TO SMOKE POT AND DO

HARM TO OTHERS.

IT'S NEVER GOING TO BE LEGAL FOR KIDS TO SMOKE POT.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU HIGH RIGHT NOW?

>> I'M HIGH BEING ON YOUR SHOW.

>> .

>> Stephen: BECAUSE WE'RE GOING TO SAVE THE HAIRS IN YOUR COMB AND TEST THEM.

JUST TELL ME NOW BECAUSE IF I FIND OUT TOMORROW...

>> TEST AWAY, BUDDY.

TEST AWAY.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE A TWO-TERM,

FORMER GOVERNOR OF NEW MEXICO.

NOW, WHILE YOU WERE THERE, YOU NOT ONLY WERE PRO MARIJUANA, YOU SUPPORT ABORTION RIGHTS AND GAY UNIONS.

IS THAT WHY YOU'RE A FORMER GOVERNOR?

[LAUGHTER]

>> MAYBE....

>> Stephen: FORMER REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR.

>> I WAS TERM LIMITED.

>> Stephen: YOU GOT KICKED OUT OF OFFICE.

>> I'M A BELIEVER IN TERM LIMITS.

[BOTH SPEAKING AT ONCE]

I BELIEVE POLITICIANS DO THINGS THEY WOULDN'T NORMALLY DO IF THEY WERE TERM LIMITED.

AND I PROBABLY WOULD FALL INTO THAT CATEGORY.

WOULD I BE SO BOLD TO SAY MARIJUANA SHOULD BE LEGAL,

ASSUMING EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

>> Stephen: NOT EVERYBODY KNOWS, THAT SIR.

MARIJUANA IS A GATEWAY DRUG.

GREATWAY DRUG.

>> SURPRISINGLY IT'S NOT.

SURPRISINGLY IT'S NOT.

>> Stephen: WHAT DO YOU MEAN SURPRISINGLY IT'S NOT?

YOU SMOKE POT, IN 24 HOURS YOU WILL BE DOING HEROIN AND TURNING TRICKS FOR STREET CRACK.

IT HAS HAPPENED.

IT HAS HAPPENED, SIR.

TO GOOD MEN, BETTER MEN THAN YOU.

>> AMAZINGLY, STATISTICS WOULD SUGGEST THAT BY LEGALIZING OR DECRIMINALIZING MARIJUANA AND

OTHER DRUGS, LIKE HOLLAND AND PORTUGAL, THAT IT WOULD ACTUALLY...

>> Stephen: YOU BEEN TO HOLLAND?

YOU BEEN TO HOLLAND?

>> I HAVE.

>> Stephen: IT'S LIKE SODOM AND GOMORRAH WITH COFFEE BARS.

>> I DISAGREE.

THAT'S NOT THE HOLLAND I SAW.

I SAW HOLLAND WITH 60% OF THE DRUG USE OF THAT OF THE UNITED STATES.

THAT'S KIDS, THAT'S ADULT,

THAT'S MARIJUANA, THAT'S HARD DRUGS.

>> Stephen: THEY HAVE FEWER PEOPLE.

>> ON A PER CAPITA BASIS.

>> Stephen: PER CAPITA THEY HAVE FEWER PEOPLE, TOO.

60% ISN'T AS BIG A PERCENT AS IT IS HERE.

>> PORTUGAL HAS SHOWN STATIST TOIX SHOW A DECREASE IN USE PER CAPITA, ON A PER CAPITA BASIS

HAVING DECRIMINALIZE DRUGS.

>> Stephen: YOU NOT ONLY WANT TO DECRIMINALIZE THIS, YOU SAY,

AND I WANT TO GET THIS RIGHT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIBLE, YOU SAY WE SHOULD TRY TO MAKE SMOKING

SOUND GREAT TO KIDS.

YOU SHOULD TELL KIDS HOW GREAT SMOKING POT IS.

>> YOU SHOULD TELL KIDS THE TRUTH, AND BY TELLING KIDS...

>> Stephen: YOU SAY SMOKING POT IS GREAT?

YOU HAVE A PUFF OF THAT STUFF,

EVERYONE AROUND YOU HAS A HEAD LIKE A WOLF.

>> I DON'T DRINK, STEPHEN.

I'VE SMOKED MARIJUANA.

I CHOOSE NOT TO SMOKE MARIJUANA,

BUT WHEN I SMOKED IT THE FIRST TIME, YOU KNOW WHAT I THOUGHT, I THOUGHT, THE GOVERNMENT LIED.

I JUST THINK THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD TELL THE TRUTH WHEN IT COMES TO THESE DRUGS.

LOOK, MARIJUANA IS SAFER THAN ALCOHOL.

[APPLAUSE]

DON'T TRUST ME ON, THIS BUT THE CITY OF DENVER FIVE YEARS AGO VOTED ON THE DECRIMINALIZATION

OF MARIJUANA ON A CAMPAIGN BASED ON MARIJUANA BEING SAFER THAN ALCOHOL.

>> Stephen: OF COURSE THEY WOULD DO THAT.

THEY'RE A MILE HIGH TO START WITH.

[APPLAUSE]

THERE'S SOME WORD OUT THERE.

THE BUZZ, SIR, OUT THERE IS THAT YOU MIGHT BE FLOATING YOUR NAME OUT THERE TO BE PRESIDENT IN 2012.

>> HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY BE?

I'M HERE ESPOUSING THE LEGALIZATION OF MARIJUANA AND...

>> Stephen: I'M JUST SAYING IT'S PROOF YOU'RE BURNT RIGHT NOW.

>> WHO HAS BEEN SMOKING MARIJUANA?

COME ON.

COME ON.

>> Stephen: GOOD LUCK CORRUPTING AMERICA'S YOUTH, SIR.

GARY JOHNSON, FORMER GOVERNOR OF NEW MEXICO.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]||||

Loading...