Hugh Laurie

  • Aired:  08/05/13
  •  | Views: 68,625

Actor Hugh Laurie talks about the blues, his drama series "House" and the greatest bond between England and America. (5:52)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT ISY ACCLAIMED

BRITISH ACTOR WHOSE NEW BLUES

ALBUM IS CALLED DIDN'T IT RAIN.

WILL IT BE RECORDED IN ENGLAND?

THE ANSWER IS YES.

PLEASE WELCOME HUGH LAURIE.

NICE TO MEET YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING ON.

I'M A HUGE FAN.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

>> LIKEWISE.

Stephen: THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

WELL, THIS IS GOING VERY WELL SO

FAR.

>> YES.

Stephen: ACTOR NOVELIST

MUSICIAN, PLAYED DR. GROWING

REHOUSE ON THE TV SERIES HOUSE

FOR HOW MANY SEASONS?

>> EIGHT.

Stephen: EIGHT SEASONS, WOW.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: OKAY.

YOU ALSO ARE AMUSE I CANNIAN

WHICH I WAS NOT AWARE OF.

AND YOU HAD A BLUES ALBUM

ALREADY CALLED, IT WAS CALLED

"LET THEM TALK."

>> YES.

Stephen: SOLD A MILLION

COPIES IN THIS MUSICAL

ATMOSPHERE YOU WENT IN ENGLAND

TRIPLE PLATINUM.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD SO MUCH

AS WHISTLE AND YOU SOLD A

MILLION ALBUMS.

>> WHISTLING IS MY WEAKEST SUIT.

I HAVE TO WHISTLE IN ONE OF THE

SONGS WE DO REQUIRES WHISTLING

AND I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE.

I JUST CAN'T DO IT.

>> Stephen: WHY DID YOU AGREE TO

DO IT THEN IF YOU CAN'T DO IT?

>> NOT ONLY DID I AGREE TO IT.

I VOLUNTEERED THAT.

WHY WOULD I DO THAT?

I DON'T KNOW.

IT WAS SORT OF A STRANGE,

SELF-DESTRUCTIVE.

>> Stephen: BLUES WHISTLING.

SOME OF THE GREAT DELTA

WHISTLERS.

>> YOU DON'T HEAR SO MUCH OF IT

NOW.

>> Stephen: NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE.

NOT FROM ME.

Stephen: WHY IS A WHITE

ENGLISH GUY -- I ASSUME YOU'RE

WHITE BECAUSE OF EVERYTHING

YOU'VE DONE.

I DON'T SEE RACE.

BUT ANYWAY, WHY ARE YOU

RECORDING THE BLUES?

THAT IS THE GREAT BLACK AMERICAN

ART FORM.

>> IT IS.

IT IS.

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU COMING TO

APOLOGIZE?

>> I WILL CONCEDE THAT I APPEAR

TO BE MONUMENTALLY UNSUIT FOR

THIS TASK.

HOWEVER, THIS IS MUSIC THAT I

HAVE LOVED SINCE I WAS... I

SUPPOSE BEING ENGLISH I COULD BE

TRYING TO SING RECORDS OF

GILBERT AND SULLIVAN OR DURAN,

DURAN.

>> Stephen: OR GILBERT AND

DURAN.

>> THE WHISTLING BROTHER.

BUT THEY JUST DIDN'T TOUCH ME

THE WAY THIS MUSIC TOUCHED ME.

WHEN I WAS VERY, VERY YOUNG.

IT'S MUSIC I'VE LOVED ALL MY

LIFE.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE A NEW ALBUM

CALLED "DIDN'T IT RAIN"?

YOU CAN SEE IT'S ON THE COVER

PLAYING A VERY, VERY SMALL

PIANO.

ADORABLE.

DO YOU HAVE TO LIVE THE BLUES TO

PLAY THE BLUES?

BECAUSE I ALWAYS HEARD YOU'VE

GOT TO LIVE THE BLUES.

TO PLAY THE BLUES.

>> WELL, OBVIOUSLY I'M GOING TO

SAY NO BECAUSE THAT'S THE

POSITION I'M IN.

>> Stephen: YEAH.

YOU'RE AN INTERNATIONAL STAR WHO

WAS UNTIL LAST YEAR THE HIGHEST

PAID MAN IN A DRAMA.

THAT'S NOT EXACTLY

SHARECROPPING.

>> NO.

YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT.

I WAS HANDSOMELY COMPENSATED.

>> Stephen: AND A HANDSOME MAN

AS WELL.

>> THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Stephen: YOU'RE WELCOME.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> BUT HERE'S WHAT I WOULD SAY.

MY POINT IS THAT TO ME THIS

MUSIC, I WOULD HATE FOR THIS

MUSIC TO BE JUST PUT IN A BOX OF

SORT OF A SOCIOLOGICAL CATEGORY

OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC THAT IS

ONLY... IT OMAHAS MEANING

BECAUSE OF THE EXPERIENCE AND

THE PERIOD FROM WHICH IT GREW.

I THINK OF THIS MUSIC AS HIGH

ART, AS HIGH AS THIS... SOME

BROKE SINGING DON GIOVANNI DOWN

THE ROAD.

>> Stephen: SINCE YOU PLAYED

HOUSE FOR SO LONG, DO YOU STILL

HAVE THE PRESCRIPTION PAD BY ANY

CHANCE?

BECAUSE I COULD GO FOR SOME LIKE

VICODIN OR...

>> I ACTUALLY DO HAVE A STOCK OF

THE RELEVANT STATIONERY.

I REALLY DO.

>> Stephen: DID YOU TAKE IT AND

THINK, "YOU KNOW, THIS MIGHT

COME IN HANDY LATER IF I LOSE

EVERYTHING."

>> I SUPPOSE I WAS THINKING

CHARMING MEMENTO, BUT AS YOU SAY

IT COULD COME IN HANDY IF THINGS

GO SOUTH.

>> Stephen: DO YOU SING ON THESE

ALBUMS?

>> I DO.

Stephen: DO YOU SING WITH AN

ENGLISH ACCENT OR AN AMERICAN

ACCENT?

>> I'M NOT REALLY AWARE... I

DON'T CONSCIOUSLY DO IT BUT I

THINK I THINK WITH AN AMERICAN

ACCENT.

>> Stephen: YOU KIND OF GET INTO

HOUSE AND THEN... (LAUGHING)

WHAT'S THE FIRST STEP FOR YOU TO

CONQUER THE AMERICAN ACCENT

BECAUSE FOR AN AMERICAN TO DO

LIKE A BRITISH ACCENT YOU HAVE

TO FIRST GET IN THE MIND SET OF

LIKE, YOU KNOW, BEANS AND DRIED

FISH IS IS A GREAT BREAKFAST.

YOU KNOW?

>> ACTUALLY I WOULD SAY, I THINK

THAT'S NOT FAIR.

I THINK BREAKFAST IS ONE OF THE

THINGS WE DO DO WELL, ALMOST AS

WELL AS YOU DO IT OVER HERE.

IT'S A GREAT BOND BETWEEN

ENGLAND AND AMERICA.

WE UNDERSTAND BREAKFAST.

>> Stephen: I UNDERSTAND.

I APOLOGIZE.

>> THANK YOU.

Stephen: I APOLOGIZE.

JAZZ IS THE AMERICA'S GREATEST

GIFT TO THE WORLD.

>> I WOULD SAY JAZZ IS AMERICA'S

GREATEST GIFT.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

NOT TO DENIGRATE OTHER GIFTS.

BLUES I THINK OF AS A SUB SET OF

JAZZ.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

YOU KNOW WHAT ENGLAND'S GREATEST

GIFT TO THE WORLD IS?

AMERICA.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING

ME.

>> THANK YOU.

Stephen: HUGH LAURIE.

THE ALBUM IS "DIDN'T IT RAIN"?

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...