David Copperfield

  • Aired:  09/15/11
  •  | Views: 27,097

David Copperfield explores the art and science of illusion and talks about "gut magic." (5:42)

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY, MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A

LEGENDARY MAGICIAN WHO I HOPE

CAN PUT BACK TOGETHER THE INTERN

I SAW IN HALF.

PLEASE WELCOME DAVID

COPPERFIELD!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

HEY, GOOD TO SEE YOU.

WELCOME TO SHOW, SIR.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> Stephen: NOW YOU'RE NOT

JUST ANY MAGICIAN.

ARE YOU AN ILLUSIONIST OF OVER

30 YEARS.

YOU WALKED THROUGH THE GREAT

WALL OF CHINA.

YOU FLEW OVER GRAND CANYON.

YOU WENT OVER NIAGARA IN A RAFT.

>> I DID.

>> Stephen: YOU WERE DECLARED

A LIVING LEGEND BY THE LIBRARY

OF CONGRESS.

YOU HAVE BEEN KNIGHTED BY THE

FRENCH.

OVER 20 EMMYS.

A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF

FAME.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: AND YOU HAVE JUST

BEEN NAMED THE FIRST-EVER KING

OF MAGIC AND MAGICIAN OF THE

CENTURY BY AMERICAN SOCIETY OF

MAGICIANS

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: DOES A GREAT

RESPONSIBILITY COME WITH BEING

KING OF MAGICIANS?

>> I SUPPOSE.

IT'S VERY HUMBLING THING.

I HAVE TO WORK HARDER NOW.

>> Stephen: YOU ABSOLUTELY

DO.

AS KING OF MAGICIANS, IF THE

PEASANTS REVOLT AND THEY CUT OFF

YOUR HEAD, CAN YOU MAGICALLY PUT

IT BACK ON?

( LAUGHTER ).

>> YES, RESTIVATION PART OF MY

REPERTOIRE.

THAT'S TRUE.

I USED TO DO DEATH SAW ILLUSION

WHERE I CUT MYSELF IN HALF AND

PUT MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AND I'M

STILL HERE.

>> Stephen: AND THE MAKEUP

HAS COVERED SCARS.

NOW, YOU HAVE ALSO WRITTEN THE

FORWARD TO A NEW BOOK PRINTED BY

THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CALLED

REQUEST BRAIN WORKS."

>> YES.

>> Stephen: "MIND-BENDING

SCIENCE OF WHAT YOU SEE AND HOW

YOU THINK AND YOU WHO ARE YOU."

WHAT IS SCIENCE OF HOW WE SEE,

WHAT YOU, AND WHO WE ARE?

>> I'M CONFUSED, ACTUALLY, RIGHT

NOW

( LAUGHTER )

BUT I THINK, YOU KNOW, IT'S

REALLY FOR ME ABOUT PERCEPTION.

MAGICIANS USE YOUR PERCEPTION

AND USE YOUR BRAIN TO MISDIRECT,

FOCUS ATTENTION AND MAKE MAGIC

HAPPEN, LOOK EFFORTLESS.

>> Stephen: AS FAR AS I CAN

TELL, WHAT MAGICIANS DO IS THEY

LIE.

AND I DON'T MEAN THIS IN A BAD

WAY, BUT YOU, SIR, ARE THE KING

OF LIARS, OKAY ALL RIGHT?

YOU SAID THAT WOMAN WAS SAWED IN

HALF AND SHE'S NOT SAHD IN HALF

ANYMORE.

YOU LIED TO ME.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: HOW IS THAT NOT

LYING?

>> IT'S NOT LYING BECAUSE I CALL

MYSELF AN ILLUSIONIST.

IT SAYS SO, ILLUSIONIST, SO I'M

AN HONEST DECEIVER.

I'M --

>> Stephen: YOU'RE TELLING ME

YOU'RE LYING.

>> I'M A LIAR.

THEREFORE, I'M NOT LYING.

>> Stephen: SHOULD IS WHAT I

DON'T UNDERSTAND ABOUT HOW BRAIN

WORKS -- WHY DO I ENJOY THAT

YOU'RE DECEIVING ME?

( LAUGHTER )

PEOPLE PAY BIG MONEY.

YOU'RE A BIG STAR BECAUSE YOU'RE

GOOD AT DECEIVING PEOPLE.

WHY DOES THAT EXCITE US?

>> I THINK WE NEED TO DREAM.

I THINK THE PUBLIC REALLY NEEDS

TO BE TRANSPORTED.

THEY NEED COMEDY.

THEY NEED MUSIC.

THEY NEED DRAMA.

THEY NEED MOVIES AND I DO A LIVE

MOVIE EVERY NIGHT ON STAGE,

BASICALLY.

>> Stephen: YOU DO A LIVE

MOVIE EVER NIGHT?

>> I'M BEING METAPHORICAL, BUT,

YES --

>> Stephen: METAPHORES, ALSO

LIES.

YOU LIED TO ME.

YOU SAID MOVIE.

YOU'RE A LIAR.

>> YOU'RE RIGHT, I AGREE.

>> Stephen: AGAIN, YOU'RE A

GUEST AND I DON'T WANT TO INSULT

YOU.

>> YOU DID INSULT ME BUTHAT'S

OKAY.

I AM LYING BUT I TELL YOU I'M

LYING UPFRONT.

THEREFORE, IT'S NOT REALLY A

LIE.

>> Stephen: YOU SAY HERE, YOU

SAY CLOSER WE LOOK THEA PEOPLE,

THE CLOSER WE LOOK AT THINGS,

LESS WE SEE.

I DON'T LOOK THEA THINGS AT ALL

( LAUGHTER )

DOES THAT MEAN I SEE EVERYTHING?

( LAUGHTER ).

>> I THINK PERCEPTION IS WE TAKE

PEOPLE AND IF I FOCUS-- WHO-- IF

I HAVE SOMETHING VERY

INTERESTING OVER HERE, YOU'RE

NOT GOING TO LOOK AT THIS OVER

HERE.

WHO IS YOUR HERO?

GIVE ME BIGGEST HERO YOU HAVE?

>> Stephen: I DON'T KNOW HIS

NAME BUT I SHAVE HIM EVERY

MORNING.

IS HE HERE?

HERE'S WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND

ABOUT WHAT WE KNOW AND WHAT WE

DON'T KNOW, OKAY?

THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT'S BEEN

HAPPENING TO ME SINCE I WAS A

KID.

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MONEY.

IF I-- IF I HAVE ONE COIN IN MY

HAND, ALL RIGHT, IF I HAVE ONE

COIN IN MY HAND, THAT'S OKAY.

BUT IF I PUT ANOTHER COIN IN MY

HAND AND THEN JUST CLOSE MY

HAND.

>> TWO COINS.

>> Stephen: YEAH.

BUT FOR SOME REASON WHEN I DO

THAT I ONLY HAVE ONE COIN LEFT

IN MY HAND

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

WHY-- WHY IS THAT, DAVID

COPPERFIELD?

WHAT HAS MY-- WHAT HAS MY BRAIN

BRAIN-- WHAT DOES MY BRAIN DO?

>> THIS IS VERY GOOD BECAUSE

YOU'RE THAT GOOD.

AND WHETHER YOU USE YOUR BRAIN

OR NOT, MAGIC STILL HAPPENS

BECAUSE YOU'RE THAT GOOD.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU.

I'M GOOD ENOUGH TO FOOL ME.

>> YES, BECAUSE YOU PRACTICE

THINGS TO POINT WHERE IT BECOMES

HABIT, AND THEN YOU ACTUALLY--

YOUR BRAIN ISN'T IMPORTANT.

>> Stephen: I AGREE.

( LAUGHTER )

IS THERE SUCH A THING AS GUT

MAGIC?

>> THERE IS.

>> Stephen: DON'T USE MY

BRAIN.

THERE'S GUT MAGIC?

WHAT IS GUT MAGIC?

>> IT'S IF I TAKE THE COIN AND

PUT IT IN THE AIR.

THAT'S GUT MAGIC.

YOU GOT A REACTION.

>> Stephen: DAVID

COPPERFIELD, COULD YOU BE

DUMBLEDORF?

THAT WAS REALLY GOOD.

( LAUGHTER )

LAST QUESTION, YOU MADE-- YOU

ONCE MADE THE STATUE OF LIBERTY

DISAPPEAR.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: IN THE 1980s.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

CAN I GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: DON'T TRY THAT

NOW.

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

OR I THINK YOU MIGHT DISAPPEAR.

AND REAPPEAR MAGICALLY IN

GUANTANAMO BAY.

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

DAVID COPPERFIELD.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

DAVID COPPERFIELD.

THE BOOK IS "BANE WORKS" AND HE

IS THE KING OF

Loading...