Better Know a District - Washington's 7th - Jim McDermott

  • Aired:  09/12/13
  •  | Views: 58,093

Congressman Jim McDermott edits the Pledge of Allegiance, supports gay marriage and throws a large salmon Stephen's way. (7:40)

ALL RIGHT, GET OUT A SHEETOF PAPER AND NUMBER 2 PENCIL

BECAUSE IT'S TIME FOR A POPQUIZ.

FOLKS WHAT DO CARROLLCHANNING AND JIMI HEN DIX

DR. -- HENDRIX HAVE INCOMMON.

WELL, THEY BOTH DROPPED ATON OF ACID AND WERE

SENSATIONAL IN HELLO DOLLY.

ALSO THEY BOTH HAIL FROM THE74th INSTALLMENT OF THE 434

PART SERIES BETTER KNOW ADISTRICT.

TONIGHT WASHINGTON, 7th.

THE 7th DISTRICT ENCOMPASSESTHE CITY OF SEE AT EL, NICK

NAMED THE EMERALD CITYBECAUSE IT'S HOME TO AN

ALL-POWERFUL WIZARD WHO CANGRANT ANYTHING YOU WISH AS

LONG AS YOU PROMISE TO USEBINGE.

SO FAR NO TAKERS.

NOW IF YOU ARE'S PLANNING TOVISIT SEATTLE, PACK AN

UMBRELLA BECAUSE THE CITYAVERAGES 140 RAINY DAYS A

YEAR.

IT ALSO EXPERIENCES 226CLOUDY DAYS A YEAR SO DON'T

FORGET TO ALSO PACK A NOOSE.

(LAUGHTER)STARBUCKS OPENED ITS FIRST

COFFEE SHOP IN SEATTLE IN1971.

AND NOW HAS OVER 11,000LOCATIONS.

FUN FACT, IF YOU STAND INTHE MIDDLE-- MIDDLE OF ANY

STREET IN WASHINGTON'S 7th.

LOOK TO YOUR LEFT THEN LOOKTO YOUR RIGHT.

YOU WILL BE HIT BY A CAR,GET OUT OF THE STREET.

(LAUGHTER)AND WHO HAS THE GRANDE

FRAPPUCCINO'S TO REPRESENTTHIS DISTRICT?

WELL, NONE OTHER THAN THANDEMOCRATIC CONGRESSMAN JIM

McDERMOTT.

I SAT DOWN WITHREPRESENTATIVE McDERMOTT IN

HIS WASHINGTON OFFICE.

>> CONGRESSMAN, THANK YOU SOMUCH FOR TALKING TO ME

TODAY.

>> NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> Stephen: TELL ME ABOUTTHE FIGHTING 7th.

>> THE 7th DISTRICT IS AINTERESTING PLACE.

SEATTLE IS A WONDERFUL PLACEIT HAS DRAWN PEOPLE FROM ALL

OVER THE COUNTRY.

>> Stephen: SIR MIXALOT ISALSO FROM SEATTLE,

CONGRESSMAN, DO YOU LIKE BIGBUTTS?

>> I'M SORRY.

>> Stephen: YOU CANNOT LIE,SIR.

>> TELL ME WHAT-- .

>> Stephen: WHEN A GIRLWALKS IF IN WITH A

ITTY-BITTY WASTE AND-- INYOUR FACE DO YOU GET STRUNG.

>> I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU AREDRIVING AT.

>> Stephen: I WILL ASCERTAININ THE CLEAREST WAY POSSIBLE

WHETHER YOU LIKE BIG BUTTS.

>> THE ANSWER IS NO.

>> Stephen: NO, OKAY.

ON A DIFFERENT SUBJECT, YOUFAMOUSLY REFUSED TO SAY THE

WORDS UNDER GOD IN THEPLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE IN ON

THE FLOOR OF THE HOUSE.

WHAT DOW HAVE AGAINST GOD.

>> ONE OF THE PROBLEMS YOUHAVE WITH UNDER GOD IS WHICH

GOD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THEMUSLIMS.

>> Jon: NO.

>> THE BUDDHISTS.

>> Stephen: NO, I'LL GIVEYOU A HINT, HIS NAME IS

JESUS.

>> I THINK YOU'LL FIND ABOUTTHREE QUARTERS OF THE WORLD

WOULD DISAGREE WITH YOU.

>> Stephen: THREE QUARTERSOF THE WORLD, ALL DUE

RESPECT, IS WRONG.

AND THEIR GOD IS NOT GOD.

AND I DON'T MEAN THAT IN ABAD WAY.

>> I ALWAYS BELIEVE INFREEDOM OF RELIGION.

>> Stephen: ABSOLUTELY,EVERYONE IS FREE TO WORSHIP

JESUS ANYWAY THEY WANT.

>> OR NOT.

>> Stephen: WELL, LET'SAGREE TO DISAGREE.

LET'S MOVE ON.

YOU ARE A REPRESENT ANYCONGRESS.

YOU USED TO BE A PRACTICINGPSYCHIATRIST.

DO YOU ENJOY WORKING WITHTHE MENTALLY DISTURBED?

OR WOULD YOU RATHER BE A SCITRUST?

(LAUGHTER)>> I THINK YOU PLAY HAVE

MADE A JOKE.

YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO READPEOPLE AND FIGURE OUT HOW

YOU'RE GOING TO PERSUADETHEM TO DO THINGS.

>> Stephen: TELL ME WHATTHIS MEANS.

LAST NIGHT HI A DREAM I WASWALK THROUGH A REDWOOD

FOREST, NO BRANCHES, JUSTKIND OF STUMPS OF REDWOOD

TREES.

AND SUDDENLY A WOMAN CAME INAND THE REDWOOD TREES

WITHERED.

AND FLOPPED OVER.

AND THEN SHE LAUGHED AT ME.

AND THEN THE PENIS CAME OUTOF THE SKY AND CRUSHED ME.

(LAUGHTER)ANYTHING.

>> WHAT DID YOU EAT FORDINNER?

>> Stephen: I HAD A BUNCH OFCALAMARI.

>> I WOULDN'T EAT THATAGAIN.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

YOU COSPONSORED LEGISLATIONTHAT TRIED TO END DOMA AND

NOW THE SUPREME COURT HASDECLARED DOMA

UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HELPEDDESTROY MARRIAGE.

>> NO, I TRIED TO BRINGFAIRNESS.

>> Stephen: UH-HUH.

>> TO ALL THE CITIZENS OFOUR COUNTRY.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU GAYMARRIED.

>> NO.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

THEN AREN'T YOU KIND OFHYPOCRITICAL?

BECAUSE YOU SUPPORT GAYMARRIAGE BUT AREN'T WILLING

TO TAKE THAT EXTRA STEP ANDGET GAY MARRIED.

WHERE I OPPOSE GAY MARRIAGEAND I HAVE TAKEN THE STEP TO

BE NOT GAY MARRIED.

>> PEOPLE WHO ARE GAY SHOULDHAVE THE RIGHT, GAY OR

LESBIAN SHOULD HAVE THERIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A

SOCIETY FULLY.

>> Stephen: HAVE YOU EVENTHOUGHT ABOUT BEING GAY

MARRIED.

CONSIDERED IT FOR A MOMENT.

>> NO.

>> Stephen: NO, OKAY, THEYSHOULD GET MARRIED BUT EW,

NOT ME.

>> THAT'S WHAT YOU ARESAYING, GAY IS YUCKY SAYS

THE -->> NO-- .

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHAT YOUJUST SAID.

>> YOU ASKED ME A STRAIGHTQUESTION AND I GAVE YOU A

STRAIGHT ANSWER.

>> Stephen: I ASKED YOU AGAY QUESTION.

PROVE YOU SUPPORT GAY PEOPLEAND MAKE OUT WITH ME.

>> YOU ARE ASKING ME TO DOTHINGS THAT I PROBABLY WOULD

TO THE DO.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BECAUSE YDO YOU NOT FIND ME

ATTRACTIVE.

>> NO, I THINK YOU'RE ANINTERESTING MAN AND YOU'RE

VERY ATTRACTIVE, YOU'REHANDSOME, WELL DRESSED.

>> Stephen: WHY WON'T YOUMAKE OUT WITH ME.

>> IF WE DON'T HAVE ANYATTRACTION.

>> Stephen: IF YOU THINK I'MFAT JUST SAY SO.

>> I THINK THAT YOU WILLDECIDE WHETHER YOU ARE FAT

OR NOT.

>> Stephen: DO YOU THINK ITHINK I'M FAT.

>> IF YOU SAY SO I GUESSTHAT'S WHAT YOU THINK, I

DON'T PERCEIVE IT.

>> Stephen: OKAY, GREAT,JUST SAY I'M FAT.

>> NO, I DIDN'T.

>> Stephen: YOU SDBS, YOUJUST SAID YOU THINK I THINK

I AM.

SO YOU MUST BE A REASON FORYOU TO BE THINKING THAT.

>> I'M REALLY TRYING TO LETYOU DECIDE WHO YOU ARE.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, OKAY.

CONGRESSMAN, CAN I ASK YOUABOUT A PHOTO I FOUND ON A

WEB SITE OF YOU.

>> SURE.

>> Stephen: THIS PHOTO OFYOU WITH TAPE OVER YOUR

MOUTH AND SOME SORT OF JAIROGLIFS ON YOUR CHEEK, WHAT

DOES THIS MEAN?

>> A GAY GROUP HAD ME DOTHAT I HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT

THE ISSUE IS.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU TELLINGME YOU HAD A PHOTO SHOOT

WITH A BUNCH OF GAY PEOPLEWITH DUCT TAPE AND YOU HAVE

NO RECOLLECTION OF WHATHAPPENED.

>> THIS WAS ABOUT THREEMINUTES.

THEY WALKED ME IN, PUT THETAPE ON, PUT THE THING ON MY

CHEEK, TOOK THE PICTURE ANDI WAS GONE.

I'M NOT QUITE CLEAR-- .

>> Stephen: I THINK YOU'REGAY MARRIED NOW.

I THINK ARE YOU GAY MARRIED.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> OKAY PIKES PLACE MARKET

WHICH IS IN SEATTLE,THEY-- SALMON AT EACH OTHER.

WOULD YOU HELP LEE LIVE OUTA LIFELONG DREAM AND THROW

SOME SALMON BACK AND FORTHWITH ME.

GREAT, LET'S DO THIS THING.

GREAT, LET'S DO THIS THING.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: WHOOO!

WHOOO!

CONGRESSMAN, THANK YOU FORTALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> GREAT PLEASURE.

>> Stephen: I'M FAT.

WASHINGTON 7th, PUT IT UP ONTHE BIG BOARD!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: LOOKS LIKE

HAROLD CHANNING JUST DROPPEDSOME MORE ACID.

Loading...