Michael Moore

  • Aired:  09/14/11
  •  | Views: 27,108

Michael Moore describes the defining moment that transformed him from a quiet kid into an outspoken social critic. (5:58)

>> Stephen: BELL COME TO "THE

REPORT," EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS ACADEMY

AWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARIAN WHO

HAS WRITTEN A MEMOIR, "HERE

COMES TROUBLE," WHICH IS WHAT

HE'LL BE THINKING AS SOON AS I

STAND UP.

PLEASE WELCOME MICHAEL MOORE.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

MICHAEL, GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK.

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU, GOOD TO

SEE YOU AGAIN.

HOW YOU BEEN?

>> I'VE BEEN DOING GOOD.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR PORTRAIT

BACK THERE?

>> WE'RE UNVEILING A NEW

PORTRAIT SOON.

NO, NO, NO, NO PUPPETS BACK

THERE.

[LAUGHTER]

NOW, MICHAEL, I'M EXCITED

BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT A NEW MEMOIR,

THE STORIES FROM MY LIFE, "HERE

COMES TROUBLE."

WELL, EXPLAIN TO ME ABOUT THIS.

PARENTS CAN READ THIS STORY,

STORIES FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD, AND

USE IT AS A CAUTIONARY TALE.

TO MAKE SURE OUR CHILDREN DON'T

TURN INTO YOU.

[LAUGHTER]

2348 BECAUSE, MICHAEL, YOU'VE

GOT TO KNOW AT THIS POINT, IT IS

OVER.

LIBERALISM HAS LOST, AND YOU

STAND AS A WALKING,, BREATHING

CAUTIONARY TALE, A DECAYING DON

QUIXOTE STANDING AT HIS

WINDMILL.

WITH EVERY TURN OF THE SPAR, YOU

ARE DRIVEN DOWN INTO THE MUD.

SEND YOURSELF A LETTER WHILE THE

POST OFFICE IS STILL HERE,

MICHAEL.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

IT'S OVER.

IT'S OVER.

>> I'LL RESPOND.

I'M AFRAID IT'S YOUR SIDE THAT'S

OVER.

YOU HAVE... YOUR... NOT YOU

PERSONALLY, BUT YOUR PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: OH, "YOUR PEOPLE."

THAT'S RACIST.

GO AHEAD.

GO AHEAD.

YEAH, YEAH, YOU CAN'T TELL ANY

IRISH PEOPLE APART.

GO AHEAD.

>> I'M A BIGOT AGAINST PEOPLE

LIKE YOU THAT SUPPORT WALL

STREET AND CORPORATIONS AND...

>> THE JOB CREATORS.

YOU HATE JOB CREATORS.

GO AHEAD.

>> THE JOB ELIMINATORS IS WHAT

YOUR PEOPLE ARE.

AND, YES, I AM A BIGOT AGAINST

ALL OF YOU.

>> Stephen: HOW DID YOU BECOME

WHO YOU ARE?

WAS THERE A MOMENT IN YOUR

CHILDHOOD WHEN YOU SAW AN

INJUSTICE?

DID YOU BLOW THE LID OFF THE

LEMONADE STAND?

HE'S USING COUNTRY TIME POWDER.

>> I WAS... I WAS STANDING IN

LINE FOR MY GRADUATION, AND THE

ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL WAS GOING

DOWN THE LINE TO CHECK TO MAKE

SURE EACH OF THE BOYS HAD A TIE

ON, AND THE BOY IN FRONT OF ME

HAD A STRING TIE, AND HE YANKS

HIM OUT OF THE LINE AND SAYS,

YOU'RE NOT GOING THROUGH

GRADUATION, AND HE KICKED HIM

OUT, LIKE LITERALLY SHOVED HIM

OUT OF THE BUILDING BECAUSE HE

HAD THE WRONG TIE ON, AND I

STOOD THERE AND SAID NOTHING.

AND IT BOTHERED ME SO MUCH THAT

I REMAINED SILENT BECAUSE I

DIDN'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE.

I DIDN'T WANT TO GET KICKED OUT

OF MY GRADUATION, AND THE NEXT

DAY I JUST THOUGHT ABOUT THIS

AND THEN HIS MOTHER CALLED ME

AND TOLD ME THIS STORY ABOUT

WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM AFTERWARDS,

AND I JUST THOUGHT, WOW, THAT'S

THE LAST TIME I'M GOING TO BE

SILENT WHEN I SEE SOMETHING

GOING ON THAT'S WRONG, EVEN IF

IT'S A LITTLE THING LIKE, THAT

I'M GOING TO SPEAK UP, IT'S MY

RESPONSIBILITY AS A HUMAN BEING.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

WELL, LET'S TALK ABOUT SPEAKING

UP.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THAT'S THE LAST TIME I WANT YOU

TO APPLAUD FOR HIM.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT ARE

WRONG.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU SAY EARLY ON IN THIS BOOK

THAT SOME OF THE STORIES MIGHT

NOT ALL BE TRUE.

SO YOU ARE ADMITTING THAT YOU

ARE A LIAR.

[LAUGHTER]

>> NO, IT DOESN'T SAY THAT.

>> Stephen: NOT TRUE, RIGHT?

>> THE STORIES ARE TRUE, BUT

WHAT I SAY AT THE BEGINNING IS

THEY'RE FROM MEMORY, AND THEY'RE

MY MEMORY, AND THREE PEOPLE

COULD SEE THE SAME THING AND SEE

IT DIFFERENT WAYS.

I'M SURE YOUR MEMORY IS SUCH

THAT YOU PROBABLY REMEMBER THE

2000 ELECTION AS GEORGE BUSH

WINNING IN A LANDSLIDE.

>> Stephen: I SEEM TO REMEMBER

HIM BEING SWORN IN.

>> YES, THAT PART IS TRUE.

>> Stephen: IT'S TRUE.

THANK YOU.

I ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY.

[LAUGHTER]

>> AND WE ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY

FOR THE EIGHT YEARS THAT WE HAD

TO SUFFER THROUGH THAT.

NOW LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS

PRESIDENT RIGHT NOW.

>> Stephen: YOU SUPPORTED THIS

GUY, RIGHT?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

ARE YOU IN DESPAIR THAT YOU

SEE... THAT YOU HANDED OVER THE

LAST FLICKERING FLAME OF

LIBERALISM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL

GIVE CONGRESS MORE THAN THEY

COULD GET FROM A REPUBLICAN

PRESIDENT?

>> THAT LIST FLICKERING FLAME,

THAT MAN WON BY TEN MILLION MORE

VOTES THAN JOHN McCAIN.

THAT WAS A HUGE MARGIN, NOT 200

VOTES.

>> Stephen: HEY, IT AIN'T THE

SIZE OF THE BOAT.

IT'S HOW YOU DRIVE IT.

OKAY.

AN WE'RE IN ROCKY WATERS.

>> I THINK IN THE CASE OF BARACK

OBAMA, IT IS ABOUT THAT.

>> Stephen: LET'S SAY YOU WAVE

A MAGIC WAND AND BARACK OBAMA

CHANGED INSTANTLY OR YOU COULD

CHANGE THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE

BE THIS YEAR?

WHO SHOULD THE DEMOCRATS RUN IF

IT WASN'T BARACK OBAMA?

>> IT SHOULD BE BARACK OBAMA.

>> LEST SAY MAGIC WAND.

>> THERE'S NO MAGIC WAND.

>> Stephen: IN MY STORY

THERE'S A MAGIC WAND.

SOME OF MY STORY IS NOT TRUE,

JUST LIKE YOUR BOOK.

OKAY.

IF THERE WAS MAGIC WAND, I DON'T

UNDERSTAND, WHY DON'T THE

DEMOCRATS... THE REPUBLICAN RUN

ACTORS ALL THE TIME AND THEY WIN

BECAUSE THEY'RE BELOVED FIGURES,

RONALD REAGAN, SCHWARZENEGGER,

TED THOMPSON FOR SENATE.

HOW COME THE DEMOCRATS DON'T RUN

TOM HANKS OR OPRAH.

>> Stephen: TOM HANKS?

DID YOU SEE "BOOZE UM BUDDIES"?

THE MAN WAS A FRANCE --

TRANSVESTITE.

MICHAEL MOORE, THANK YOU FOR

JOINING US.

THE BOOK IS "HERE COMES

TROUBLE," AND YOU BETTER BELIEVE

IT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT