Julie Andrews

  • Aired:  02/05/13
  •  | Views: 45,632

Julie Andrews discusses her Dame Commander rank, latest children's book and celebrated role as Mary Poppins. (6:24)

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

MY GUEST IS THE STAR OF SUCH MOVIES AS "THE SOUND OF MUSIC" AND "MARY POPPINS."

GREAT, ANOTHER ADVOCATE FOR THE NANNY STATE.

[LAUGHTER]

PLEASE WELCOME JULIE ANDREWS!

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

LOVELY TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING.

>> THROILD BE HERE.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> Stephen: I'M WONDERFUL.

HOW ARE YOU?

YOU LOOK SMASHING.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: LOOK HOW EXCITED THE PEOPLE ARE TO SEE JULIE ANDREWS.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF BEING ON THE STAGE, BEING IN THE MOVIES, BEING A PERFORMER, ZIT

STILL EXCITE YOU TO HEAR A CROWD?

>> OF COURSE, IT DOES.

WHEN YOU'VE BEEN IN THE BUSINESS AS LONG AS WE'VE BEEN.

>> Stephen: RIGHT.

RIGHT.

>> YOU KNOW HOW, IT IS.

>> Stephen: VERY SIMILAR CAREER TRAJECTORIES YOU AND I.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: DO YOUNG WOMEN COME UP TO YOU AND SAY THE PARTS YOU'VE DONE, MARY POPPINS,

MARIA, SHAPED THEIR LIVES AND MADE THEM THINK ABOUT WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A WOMAN?

>> I THINK THEY SAY THEY WANTED TO GET INTO THEATER BECAUSE OF THE ROLES THAT I'VE DONE OR THEY

WANTED TO BEGIN TO SING OR GET INTO THE ARTS IN SOME FASHION.

THEY DO AND IT'S VERY, VERY NICE WHEN THEY DO.

>> Stephen: IS IT?

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: IS IT HUMBLING OR DO YOU SAY DAMN STRAIGHT?

>> IT DEPENDS.

>> Stephen: ON WHO THE PERSON IS?

>> EXACTLY, YES.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE A DAME COMMANDER?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: IS THAT FUN?

>> I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT VERY MUCH.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A TROOP OF MEN YOU CAN CALL ON TO ATTACK AT ANY MOMENT.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

I DO SO LOOK OUT!

>> Stephen: COULD YOU HAVE ME KILLED?

>> I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD GO THAT FAR BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T BE WORTHY OF A DAME, YOU UNDERSTAND.

>> Stephen: I UNDERSTAND IT'S ONE NOTCH BELOW 007.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU'VE DONE MANY THINGS AND NOW YOU ARE IN CHILDREN'S PUBLISHING.

YOU HAVE A SERIES OF BOOKS CALLINGED THE VERY FAIRY PRINCESS.

THE FIFTH IN THE SERIES, FOR THOSE OF YOU WAITING IS THE VERY FAIRY PRINCESS FOLLOWS HER HEART.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: I HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET.

IT'S A LITTLE ABOVE MY READING LEVEL IS.

>> OKAY.

>> Stephen: I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR REINTRODUCING THE IDEA THAT LITTLE GIRLS CAN BE PRINCESSES.

>> I THINK I BETTER STOP YOU RIGHT THERE, STEPHEN BECAUSE ACTUALLY A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE

SAID TO US, MY DAUGHTER AND TO ME, WHY PRINCESSES.

ISN'T THAT A BAD THING TO BE TEACHING CHILDREN TO BE?

>> Stephen: WHY NOT A FAIRY DEMOCRATY ELECTED LEADER.

>> THAT WOULD BE FINE, TOO.

THIS JUST HAPPENS TO BE ABOUT A LITTLE GIRL WHO IS CONVINCED BECAUSE OF A CERTAIN SPARKLE

THAT SHE FEELS INSIDE THAT SHE IS A VERY FAIRY PRINCESS BUT THAT'S DESPITE THE EVIDENCE TO

THE CONTRARY.

>> Stephen: IS SHE?

>> SHE THINKS SHE IS.

>> Stephen: IS SHE?

FEET TO THE FIRE HERE?

[LAUGHTER]

>> BY THE END OF EACH STORY YOU MIGHT JUST BELIEVE THAT SHE IS.

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE THE OUTER TRAPPINGS.

IT'S ABOUT YOUR INDIVIDUALALITY.

IT'S ABOUT WHAT YOU FEEL INSIDE AND WHAT YOU GIVE.

THESE DAYS, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'VE BEEN TAKE NOTE OF PRINCESSES.

>> Stephen: OH, VERY POPULAR.

>> VERY POPULAR.

>> Stephen: ESPECIALLY WITH LONG LENS CAMERAS.

>> WELL, YES.

BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GLAMOUR AND THE CROWN AND THE HANDSOME PRINCE.

IT'S ABOUT THE HARD WORK.

>> Stephen: DO YOU KNOW PRINCESSES?

>> I DO, INDEED.

>> Stephen: WHO DO YOU NO, I?

>> I KNOW A FEW OF THEM.

I USED TO KNOW -- I'M NOT GETTING INTO THAT.

>> Stephen: YOU SAID IT'S HARD WORK.

>> IT'S HARD WORK.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THE HARD WORK THEY DO?

>> GO ONLINE.

LOOK AT PRINCESSES TODAY.

>> Stephen: I GOOGLED KATE MIDDLETON.

I SAW THAT PHOTO.

>> THERE'S AN EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE THAT WORKS VERY HARD INDEED.

>> Stephen: YOU HEARD ABOUT RICHARD III?

>> I DID.

>> Stephen: SO SORRY.

>> WELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT HE GOT FOUND THOUGH.

IT'S AMAZING HE NEVER DID UNTIL NOW.

REALLY THE FACT THAT IT REALLY IS OR WAS HIM.

MIND BOGELLING.

>> Stephen: A PARKING LOT ALL THESE YEARS.

>> ANAGE KNOW MINIMUMMOUS END, ISN'T IT?

>> Stephen: THESE BOOKS HAVE HAPPIER ENDINGS THAN THAT.

>> YES, THEY DO.

>> Stephen: YOU DO THESE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER?

>> THIS IS THE 27th WE'VE WRITTEN TOGETHER.

>> Stephen: FIFTH OF SERIES.

>> BELIEVE OR NOT THIS IS NUMBER TWO ON THE CHILDREN'S BEST SELLER LIST FOR PICTURE BOOKS

THIS WEEK.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: YOU FAMOUSLY PLAYED MARIA, YOU PLAYED MARY POPPINS, WERE YOUR CHILDREN EVER

RAISED BY NANNIES?

>> YES, I DID HAVE SOME NANNIES.

>> Stephen: WHEN THEY CAME FOR THE JOB INTERVIEW, DID THEY WALK IN, SEE YOU AND GO, GREAT!

>> SADLY, NO.

NO.

>> Stephen: I'VE GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU, KIDDO, MARY POPINS IS ON BROADWAY, RIGHT NOW.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: LET'S SAY YOU WERE IN THE FRONT ROW.

SHE BREAKS HER LEG ON STAGE, COULD YOU GO UP THERE, TAKE THAT PART OVER AND ROCK IT?

COULD YOU STILL DO THAT?

>> I'M GLAD I DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION BECAUSE IT'S CLOSING IN A FEW WEEKS.

YOU KNOW THAT?

>> Stephen: YOU DO HAVE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION.

I DON'T CARE IF IT'S CLOSING.

>> DAMN RIGHT I COULD DO IT.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, JULIE ANDREWS.

"THE VERY FAIRY PRINCESS FOLLOWS HER HEART." AND SO SHOULD YOU.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]