Bill McKibben

  • Aired:  02/13/12
  •  | Views: 13,050

Activist Bill McKibben talks about the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline and calls on Colbert Nation to sign his petition opposing its construction. (4:43)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYONE.

THANK YOU.

MY GUEST TONIGHT FOUNDED

www.350.org TO FIGHT GLOBAL

WARMING.

HE MUST BE WINNING BECAUSE IT'S

KIND OF CHILLY OUT.

PLEASE WELCOME BILL McKIBBEN.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

HEY, BILL, THANKS FOR COMING

BACK.

ALL RIGHT, FIRM GRIP, MAN.

ALL RIGHT, SIR, I HAVE HAD YOU

ON THE SHOW.

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

LET ME EXPLAIN TO THESE PEOPLE

THE TROUBLE MAKER THAT YOU ARE.

YOU ARE ALSO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST

ACTIVIST.

YOU WROTE "THE END OF NATURE"

YOU FOUNDED www.350.org AND YOU

LED THE EFFORT TO KILL THE

KEYSTONE X.L. PIPELINE AND

YOU'RE...

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

YOUR PROFILE ON THE "BOSTON

GLOBE" "CAN THIS MAN SAVE THE

PLANET."

SO YOU'RE THE CLOWN WHO'S GOING

TO MAKE ME PAY FIVE BUCKS A

GALLON FOR GAS THIS SUMMER.

THAT'S YOU.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO APOLOGIZE TO

EVERYONE?

>> WITH ANY LUCK, WE'RE THE

PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO HELP YOU

GET THE PLUG-IN HYBRID CAR THAT

DOES SO WELL ON GAS YOU FORGET

WHICH SIDE THE GAS TAP IS ON.

WE'RE MOVING IN NEW DIRECTIONS

NOW.

>> Stephen: LOOK, BUDDY, THANKS

TO YOU, I'VE GONE FROM AN AUDI

A. 8-L TO AN S-5.

(LAUGHTER)

DON'T GET ME WRONG, IT'S A

BEAUTIFUL CAR.

IT'S A DROPPED OFF CABRIOLET.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

>> OUR GOAL IS TO KEEP THE

PLANET WORKING SO THAT WHEN YOU

DROP THE TOP IT'S WORKING.

>> Stephen: THE PLANET STILL

TURNS.

EVERYTHING WE'RE EXTRACTING FROM

THE GROUND IS NATURAL.

RIGHT?

(LAUGHTER)

IT'S ALL NATURAL!

THAT OIL IS 100% CERTIFIED

ORGANIC.

(LAUGHTER)

IS IT NOT?

IS IT NOT ORGANIC?

>> IT'S ALL DINOSAURS.

THE TROUBLE IS WE'RE TAKING....

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHAT THEY

SELL AT WHOLE FOODS.

>> WE'RE TAKING 200 MILLION

YEARS OF IT AND PUTTING IN THE

ATMOSPHERE AT ONCE.

THE TAR SANDS IN CANADA IS THE

PERFECT EXAMPLE.

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHERE THE

X.L. GOES.

THE TAR SANDS IN CAN DO D.A. TO

THE GULF STATES.

>> SECOND BIGGEST POOL AFTER

SAUDI ARABIA.

>> Stephen: YOU MEAN OIL.

>> IT WAS BURNING SAUDI ARABIA

THAT RAISED THE TEMPERATURE OF

THE PLANET ONE DEGREE.

IF WE... KNOWING WHAT WE KNOW

ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE DO THE SAME

THING WITH THE SECOND SAUDI

ARABIA WE'RE NOT AS WISE AS WE

LIKE TO THINK WE ARE SOMETIMES.

>> BUT YOU SAY WE HAVE TO GET

OFF THIS OIL, THIS CARBON.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: HOW DO YOU PROPOSE

WE DO THAT?

BECAUSE RIGHT NOW THE SYSTEM WE

HAVE... YOU MAY SAY IT'S FLAWED

BUT IT'S GLOBAL, IT'S PROFITABLE

AND IT WORKS.

>> IT'S PROFITABLE AS HECK AND

THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

THE REASON THAT....

>> Stephen: AND THAT'S THE

PROBLEM?

THAT'S WHAT BUILDS A NATION.

>> THE REASON WE HAVE SO MUCH

TROUBLE IS BECAUSE THE FINANCIAL

POWERS OF FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY

HAS BEEN ENOUGH TO KEEP SCIENCE

AT BAY.

>> THEY DON'T HAVE ANY POWER.

YOU KILLED THE X.L. PIPELINE!

I'M WORRIED THEY DON'T HAVE

ENOUGH OF A SAY.

>> WELL, THE X.L. PIPELINE MAY

BE COMING BACK.

JUST TODAY WITH WORRIES THAT THE

SENATE WAS BEGINNING TO CAVE TO

BIG OIL WE LAUNCHED WHAT WE

THOUGHT WOULD BE A 24-HOUR DRIVE

TO TRY TO COLLECT HALF A MILLION

MESSAGES TO THE SENATE.

IN FACT, WE BLEW BY THAT HALF

MILLION MARK AFTER SIX HOURS

WITH COLBERTNATION ON BOARD FOR

THE NEXT 18 IT'S GOING TO BE

LIKE ONE OF THOSE OLD JIMMY

STEWART MOVIES WHERE THEY'RE

HAVING TO CARRY THE BUNDLES OF

TELEGRAMS INTO CONGRESS.

>> Stephen: YOU MEAN "IT'S A

WONDERFUL LIFE"?

>> THAT'S IT.

>> Stephen: WHERE HE TURNS OUT

TO BE A THIEF?

>> NO, YOU DIDN'T WATCH ALL THE

WAY TO THE END.

>> Stephen: I ONLY WATCHED HALF

OF IT.

(LAUGHTER)

SO WE DON'T GET THAT OIL, THAT'S

WHAT HAPPENS.

WE DON'T GET THAT OIL.

>> HOPEFULLY.

AND MUCH OF THE COAL STAYS IN

THE GROUND.

>> Stephen: SO THE OIL INSTEAD

GOES TO CHINA.

>> NO.

>> Stephen: CHINA WILL BUY IT

AND FRANCE WILL BUY IT AND

GERMANY WILL BUY IT.

SO IT GOES INTO THE ATMOSPHERE

BUT WE LOSE OUT.

>> EVERYONE WOULD LIKE TO BUY IT

BUT THE YOU LOOK AT WHERE THOSE

TAR SANDS ARE, FOR INSTANCE,

THEY'RE A LONG WAYS FROM

ANYWHERE UP THERE IN ALBERTA.

>> Stephen: WHEREVER IN CANADA

IS A LONG WAY FROM ANYWHERE.

>> THEY'RE TRYING TO BUILD A

PIPELINE ALSO WEST TO THE

PACIFIC AND HENCE ON TO CHINA

BUT SO FAR CANADIAN ACTIVISTS

HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB OF

OPPOSING IT.

A MAJORITY OF CANADIANS OPPOSE

BUILDING THAT PIPELINE.

>> Stephen: CANADIAN ACTIVISTS?

THEY SAY "WOULD YOU MIND VERY

MUCH NOT BUILDING THAT PIPELINE

EH?

ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY?

SOORY."

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: IF SOMEONE OUT THERE

IN THE AUDIENCE WAS FOOLISH YOU

HAVE NO SIGN YOUR PETITION,

WHERE WOULD THEY GO?

>> Www.350.org IS THE PLACE TO

BE.

>> Stephen: DO NOT DO IT!

BILL McKIBBEN, www.350.org,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING

Loading...