Better Know a District - Wisconsin's 2nd - Mark Pocan

  • Aired:  06/03/13
  •  | Views: 43,502

Freshman Democratic Congressman Mark Pocan doubts that the Hunger Games are included in the Obamacare bill. (8:20)

OH, HI!

I WAS JUST READING "FUN FACTS

ABOUT WISCONSIN," A BOOK THAT,

LET'S SAY, EXISTS.

DID YOU KNOW THAT MANY OF

AMERICA'S WELL KNOWN CITIES ARE

NAMED FOR GREAT LEADERS.

YOU'VE GOT WASHINGTON D.C.,

LINCOLN, NEBRASKA; AND

WISCONSIN'S OWN MADISON, NAMED

FOR FAMOUS GOTH ROCKER MARILYN

MAD SEN.

SAYS SO RIGHT HERE IN, AGAIN,

THIS VERY REAL BOOK.

AND MADISON IS NETTALLED IN THE

SUBJECT OF THE 71st

INSTALLMENT OF MY 434-PART

SERIES "BETTER KNOW A DISTRICT."

TONIGHT, WISCONSIN'S SECOND, THE

FIGHTIN' SECOND.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

MADISON, WISCONSIN, IS FAMOUSLY

ONE OF THE MOST LIBERAL CITIES

IN AMERICA TRAILING ONLY SAN

FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, AUSTIN,

TEXAS AND MEAT-IS-MURDER,

OREGON.

WISCONSIN SECOND IS ALSO WHERE

THE RINGLING BROTHERS FOUNDED

THEIR FAMOUS RINGLING BROTHERS

CIRCUS KNOWN AS THE GREATEST

SHOW ON EARTH BY PEOPLE WHO HAVE

NEVER LEFT WISCONSIN.

NOW THE DISTRICT ALSO CONTAINS

PART OF THE BEAUTIFUL WISCONSIN

DELLS, WHERE YOU'LL FIND NOAH'S

ARK OFFICIALLY AMERICA'S LARGEST

WATER PARK AND UNOFFICIALLY

AMERICA'S LARGEST OPEN-AIRPORT A

POTTY.

AND... TRUE.

ANYONE FOR A STAPH INFECTION.

STEP RIGHT UP.

AND WHO HAS THE BUCKIE BADGERS

TO REPRESENT SUCH A DISTRICT?

IT'S NONE OTHER THAN FRESHMAN

DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSMAN MARK

POCAN.

I SAT DOWN WITH REPRESENTATIVE

POCAN IN HIS WASHINGTON OFFICE.

CONGRESSMAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR TALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

IT'S AN HONOR.

>> IS IT PO-KIN.

POCAN.

LIKE THE NUT.

CAN I CALL YOU POKEY?

OAKY DOAKY CONGRESSMAN POKEY.

LET'S GET TO IT.

FIRST OF ALL, CONGRATULATIONS ON

YOUR FIRST 100 DAYS IN CONGRESS.

>> THANK YOU.

I'VE GOT TO SHOW YOU

SOMETHING.

>> AWESOME.

Stephen: BLOW IT OUT.

MAKE A WISH.

TAKE THAT ONE.

AND THAT ONE.

>> GREAT.

THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: MAKE A WISH.

BREAK THAT IN HALF.

PUT IT UNDER YOUR PILLOW AND IN

THE MORNING YOU'LL HAVE A WAXY

PILLOW.

OKAY.

>> I SAW THIS.

THIS WAS FANTASTIC.

THIS IS YOU BEING SWORN IN,

CORRECT?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

Stephen: ANY TEARS?

ANY TEARS WHEN YOU WERE SWORN

IN?

>> NO.

IT WAS JUST A REAL HONOR TO BE

SWORN IN.

>> DID BOEHNER CRY?

HE ACTUALLY DIDN'T.

Stephen: HE CRIES A LOT.

SO NICE THAT YOUR YOUNG NEPHEW

COULD BE THERE WITH YOU.

>> THAT'S MY HUSBAND, PHIL.

Stephen: I'M SORRY.

THAT'S MY HUSBAND, PHIL.

Stephen: YOU ARE GAY?

YES.

Stephen: WHY?

IT'S JUST WHO I AM.

IT'S THE WAY YOU'RE BORN.

>> Stephen: NO, I WAS BORN

STRAIGHT.

I WAS NOT BORN GAY.

YOU SAY YOU WERE BORN GAY.

>> I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'RE GAY.

Stephen: BUT YOU THOUGHT I

WAS.

YOU GUESSED.

I ASSUME YOU SUPPORT FEDERAL

RECOGNITION OF GAY MARRIAGE

UNTIL YOUR HUSBAND FORGETS TO

TAKE OUT THE GARBAGE, AM I

RIGHT?

MEN!

CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM.

LEGALLY CAN'T LIVE WITH THEM IN

SOME STATES.

>> THAT'S A PROBLEM.

Stephen: WHAT IS IT ABOUT MY

GOD-SANCTIONED MARRIAGE THAT YOU

MOST WANT TO DESTROY?

>> NOTHING.

IN FACT...

>> Stephen: YOU ARE.

YOU'RE HARMING IT.

>> I'VE HARMED YOUR MARRIAGE.

Stephen: YOU HAVE.

IN WHAT WAY.

Stephen: BECAUSE IF I COULD

HAVE GOTTEN GAY-MARRIED, WHY

WOULDN'T I HAVE DONE THAT

INSTEAD?

GUYS ARE GREAT.

>> WELL, YOU COULD GET DIVORCED

POTENTIALLY AND MARRY A MAN IF

THAT'S...

>> Stephen: NOW YOU'RE

SUGGESTING THAT I GET DIVORCED,

AND YOU SAY YOU'RE NOT

DESTROYING MY MARRIAGE.

>> YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN DIVORCED.

Stephen: BUT YOU JUST TEMPTED

ME WITH THAT.

YOU SHOULD GET DIVORCED.

>> I'M NOT TEMPTING YOU.

Stephen: I'M NOT TEMPTED AT

ALL.

BECAUSE I'M NOW MARRIED.

I BELIEVE IN THE OATH I TOOK.

THE OATH TO BE MARRIED, AND I

AM.

OKAY.

THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT

THAT NOW.

AS A FRESHMAN CONGRESSMAN, YOU

DON'T HAVE MUCH OF A RECORD FOR

ME TO ATTACK YET.

>> THAT'S GREAT.

Stephen: WHAT ARE SOME OF THE

THINGS YOU WOULD LIKE TO

ACCOMPLISH SO I CAN ATTACK IT?

>> MAKING SURE THAT WE'RE

PROVIDING ADEQUATE HEALTH CARE

FOR ALL OF OUR PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: YOU MEAN OBAMA CARE.

THE ACT, RIGHT.

Stephen: HAVE YOU BEEN PLACED

ON A DEATH PANEL YET?

>> NO, THERE'S NO DEATH PANELS.

Stephen: WHEN DOES THAT

START.

>> THERE WON'T BE ANY.

Stephen: HAVE YOU READ ALL OF

OBAMA CARE.

>> NO.

Stephen: YOU ADMIT YOU DON'T

KNOW WHETHER THERE ARE DEATH

PANELS.

>> THERE ARE NOT DEATH PANELS.

I'VE TALKED TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE

READ.

>> Stephen: MAYBE THEY'RE ON THE

DEATH PANELS AND THEY DON'T WANT

TO TELL YOU BECAUSE THEY'VE SAID

WE DON'T WANT TO GIVE YOU HEALTH

CARE AND PUT YOU TO DEATH.

THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH

OBAMA CARE WHEN THEY GO TO THE

HOSPITAL INSTEAD TAKE THEM OFF

TO THE HUNGER GAMES AND THEY

FIGHT.

>> I DON'T THINK THAT'S IN THE

BILL.

>> Stephen: YOU DON'T THINK SO

BUT YOU DON'T KNOW.

>> I'M SURE IT'S NOT IN THE

BILL.

>> Stephen: LET'S AGREE TO

DISAGREE.

DO YOU WANT TO DO THAT?

OKAY.

THIS NEXT SUBJECT TOUCHY.

IT MIGHT DISTURB SOME VIEWERS.

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT YOU

USED TO BE A MAGICIAN.

>> YEAH, I PAID FOR COLLEGE

DOING IMAGINE IB SHOWS AND BAR

TENDING.

>> Stephen: HOW LONG WERE YOU

TURNING TRICKS?

(INAUDIBLE).

>> Stephen: WHY DID YOU STOP?

I GOT A JOB.

I STARTED A BUSINESS.

AND I GOT REAL BUSY.

>> Stephen: WHEN YOU'RE NOT IN

D.C. YOU WORK AT YOUR

SIGN-MAKING STORE WITH

PHIL-FRANK WHO IS YOUR PARTNER.

>> MY HUSBAND.

Stephen: YOU DON'T HAVE A

BUSINESS PARTNER NAMED BILL

FRANK.

>> HE'S MY HUSBAND.

Stephen: SO BUSINESS PARTNER

IS CODE FOR... DO YOU HAVE TO

GET MARRIED TO YOUR BUSINESS

PARTNER IN WISCONSIN?

>> NO.

Stephen: THAT WAS A CHOICE.

NO.

Stephen: OKAY.

IS YOUR GAY BUSINESS PARTNER OR

JUST YOUR BUSINESS PARTNER.

>> JUST MY BUSINESS PARTNER.

Stephen: THAT PART IS NOT

GAY.

>> NO.

Stephen: SO IT IS A CHOICE

WHEN YOU ARE GAY AND WHEN YOU'RE

NOT.

>> THE CHOICE TO BE BUSINESS

PARTNER IS NOT A CHOICE TO BE

GAY.

>> Stephen: THE STORY FALLING

APART A BIT HERE.

>> NO IT'S NOT.

Stephen: IN 1992 YOU

SUPPORTED A BAN ON BEAR

WRESTLING.

YOU USED TO BRING BEARS INTO

COLISEUM AND THEY WOULD GET KIND

OF DRUGGED UP AND THEN SOME

PERSON FROM THE AUDIENCE WOULD

ATTEMPT TO WRESTLE THAT BEAR.

>> Stephen: WE SHOULDN'T DRUG

THEM WHEN THEY WRESTLE.

THEY DON'T HAVE A CHANCE.

SHOULD WE GIVE THEM KNIVES?

HOW ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO FIGHT

PEOPLE.

>> WE COULD JUST LEAVE BEARS

ALONE.

>> Stephen: BUT THEY STARTED IT.

I DON'T THINK SO.

Stephen: LAST QUESTION: TELL

ME ABOUT YOUR DISTRICT.

>> IT'S JUST AN EXCEPTIONAL

PLACE.

ALL OF SOUTH CENTRAL WISCONSIN

IS AN EXCEPTIONAL PLACE TO LIVE.

MADISON IS OUR CAPITAL CITY OF

THE STATE.

>> Stephen: I LOVE THE FARMERS

MARKET IN MADISON.

CHEESE CURDS, WHICH, NO OFFENSE,

THE GAY IS CHEESE, RIGHT?

>> IT'S A VERY POPULAR CHEESE.

Stephen: THEY SQUEAK WHEN YOU

BITE 'EM, JUST LIKE GAY PEOPLE

DO.

WHEN YOU BITE A GAY PERSON THEY

SQUEAK.

>> I THINK ANYONE WOULD SQUEAK.

Stephen: I'VE NEVER BITTEN

ANYBODY BUT GAY PEOPLE.

CONGRESSMAN, THANK SO MUCH FOR

TALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

Stephen: LET'S PUT WISCONSIN

UP ON THE BOARD.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

OH, LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE JUST GOT

BIT RIGHT ON THE CHEESE CURDS.

Loading...