Tyler Perry

  • Aired:  10/17/12
  •  | Views: 7,984

Tyler Perry talks about African-American actors in Hollywood, the upcoming election and his latest film, "Alex Cross." (6:00)

>> Colbert: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

IN MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A

PROLIFIC WRITER, DIRECTOR AND

STAR OF THE MEDEA MOVIES, PLEASE

JOIN ME IN SAVING HELLO TO TYLER

PERRY! IN SAYING HELLO TO TYLER

PERRY! TYLER, THANKS SO MUCH.

HOW YOU DO, BUDDY, GOOD TO SEE

YOU.

>> WE ARE VERY EXCITED HERE,

TYLER PERRY, THANK YOU FOR

JOINING ME ON TYLER PERRY

STEPHEN COLBERT'S INTERVIEW WITH

TYLER PERRY.

>> I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT.

>> Colbert: YOU LIKE AT THAT

NAMING THINGS AFTER YOURSELF.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Colbert: I DO TOO, I GOT --

I GOT A TREADMILL ON THE SPACE

STATION NAMED AFTER ME.

DO YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE?

>> NO, NO.

I HAVEN'T DONE THAT YET.

>> Colbert: I WENT IN --

>> GO AHEAD.

>> Colbert: THANKS SO MUCH.

NOW, YOU ARE ON THE FORBES LIKE

CELEBRITY POWER LIST, NUMBER 20,

BECAUSE YOU ARE A WRITER, A

DIRECTOR, AN ACTOR, A PRODUCER,

A PLAYWRIGHT.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVEN'T FOUND

YOUR THING YET.

WHAT IS NEXT? SPOT WELDING?

WHY SO MANY THINGS?

>> I AM JUST TRAINED MYSELF

EARLY ON, I DIDN'T HAVE MUCH

MONEY SO I LEARNED HOW TO DO ALL

THE JOBS MYSELF AND I DON'T KNOW

HOW TO LET GOYETTE.

>> Colbert: REALLY? BUT WHERE

DO YOU FIND THE TIME FOR THE

WRITER, DIRECTOR, PLAYWRIGHT AND

AUTHOR, RIGHT?

>> YES.

>> Colbert: PROBABLY MOST

FAMOUS FOR PLAYING MEDEA.

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING THAT ROLE,

THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY GOOD

ROLES FOR OLD BLACK WOMEN.

ELDERLY AFRICAN-AMERICAN

ACTRESSES HAVE IT TOO EASY.

BY THE WAY, WHO EMPLOYS MORE

AFRICAN-AMERICAN ACTORS? YOU OR

EVERYONE ELSE IN HOLLYWOOD?

>> I HAVE GOT THEM BEAT, IT IS

ALL ME.

>> Colbert: REALLY?

>> IT IS ALL ME.

OLBERT: YOU HAVE GOT A NEW> C

MOVIE COMING OUT CALLED ALEX

CROSS.

IT IS A LITTLE BIT OF A

DEPARTURE.

>> YES.

A LITTLE BIT OF A DEPARTURE.

>> Colbert: LET'S DEPART.

>> LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS.

LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS.

BUTT DOWN THE GUN.

PUT DOWN THE WEAPON NOW, DO IT

NOW!

>> IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT TO DIE

DOING? DROP THE GUN? PUT YOUR

HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK NOW, SIR!

>> Colbert: OH! IT IS REALLY

GOOD.

>> IT IS REALLY GOOD.

>> Colbert: IS IT A COMEDY?

BECAUSE IT LOOKED GOOD.

IT LOOKED SUPER ACTION Y.

>> THE REASON I ASK BECAUSE YOUR

MOVIES CAN GO ALL OVER THE

PLACE.

YOU ARE WATCHING A MA DEA MOVIE

AND ONE LAST MOMENT YOU ARE

LAUGHING AND THE NEXT YOU ARE

DEALING WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND

THERE ARE HEARTRENDING HUMAN

DRAMA GOING AT THE SAME TIME.

WHY DO YOU STICK THE GUN THING

IN A MOVIE?

>> I USE THE CHARACTERS AS ME

DEMA DEA TWO, TO MAKE PEOPLE

LAUGH AND TALK ABOUT SERIOUS

ISSUES I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT

WHEN YOU ARE GIVEN THIS KIND OF

PLATFORM TO INSPIRE AND UPLIFT

THEM, THAT'S WHAT I TRY TO DO F

I TRY TO USE THE CHARACTERS TO

MAKE THEM LAUGH, RELAX A LITTLE

BIT AND PUT THE MESSAGE IN

THERE.

>> Colbert: DID YOU SAY YOU

USED MA DEA AS ANESTHESIA?

>> YEAH, YOU HEARD IT RIGHT.

>> Colbert: YOU ARE PUTTING

AMERICA UNDER AND YOU ARE

OPERATING ON OUR SOULS.

>> THAT IS SO GREAT.

>> Colbert: OKAY.

SO NOW YOU ARE THE BIG ACTION

STAR.

LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING.

YOU ARE A JOB CREATOR, RIGHT?

>> YEAH.

>> Colbert: YOU HAVE GOT --

YOU ARE LIKE BUDDY WITH OPRAH.

>> YEAH.

>> Colbert: LIKE I AM.

>> YEAH.

>> Colbert:.

>> I SAW THE INTERVIEW WHICH WAS

REALLY GREAT.

>> Colbert: I KIND KIND OF HER

BEST FRIEND.

>> SHE TELLS ME THAT ALL THE

TIME.

I AM PLAYING A BAD ASS YOU MAY

NOT WANT TO TELL ME THIS STUFF.

>> Colbert: BUDDY, OPRAH GAVE

ME A SET OF BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN

KNIVES.

YEAH.

SO DON'T MAKE ME CUT A TYLER

PERRY.

OKAY.

YOU PRAY AND BELIEVE IN FAITH.

>> I DO.

>> Colbert: SO I ASSUME AS A

MAN OF PRAYER --

>> I AM PRAYING RIGHT NOW,

ACTUALLY.

>> Colbert: ARE YOU A ROMNEY

GUY?

>> I HAVE GOT TO TELL YOU, THIS

IS WHAT I FOUND, BOTH OF THESE

DEBATES HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY

AMAZING.

MITT ROMNEY WAS AMAZING IN THE

FIRST ONE I THINK PRESIDENT

OBAMA WAS GREAT LAST NIGHT.

I AM TIRED OF IT, ACTUALLY, I AM

TIRED OF DEBATES AND TIRED OF

ALL OF THE NEGATIVE CAMPAIGN

LET'S JUST VOTE ALREADY, LET'S

EVERYBODY JUST GET OUT AND VOTE

AND MAKE IT ABOUT -- GET ALL OF

THE EDUCATION, GET ALL OF THE

INFORMATION, LEARN AS MUCH AS

YOU CAN ABOUT THE CANDIDATES AND

MAKE YOUR CHOICES.

>> Colbert: THERE IS ONE MORE

DEBATE, TYLER.

>> YEAH, I KNOW I HAVE TO SIT

THROUGH ANOTHER.

>> Colbert: YOU KNOW WHAT

WOULD MAKE THAT BETTER?

>> PRAYER.

PRAY FOR THE USA.

SHALL WE PRAY?

>> Colbert: YES.

>> YOU LEAD.

>> Colbert: DEAR LORD.

>> DEAR LORD, YES.

>> Colbert: PLEASE LET THIS

COUNTRY.

>> AND OUR LEADER.

>> Colbert: AND OUR LEADERS

AND LET ALEX CROSS OPEN HUGE IN

THE BOX OFFICE.

AND PLEASE, LORD, PLEASE, HELP

ME IN THANKING TYLER PERRY FOR

BEING HERE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

THANK YOU.

TYLER PERRY! ALEX CROSS! WE

WILL BE RIGHT BACK.