International Manhunt for Julian Assange - Daniel Ellsberg

  • Aired:  12/09/10
  •  | Views: 88,343

Daniel Ellsberg, the man who leaked the Pentagon Papers, says Julian Assange is definitely not a criminal. (8:27)

IT'S FUNNY.

I DIDN'T KNOW HUMANS WERE

KOSHER.

FOLKS, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU,

BUT I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE

GETTING AWAY WITH STUFF THAT I

KNOW IS WRONG.

THAT IS WHY I AM FORMING A

POSSE.

I SAY LET'S GO OUT AND STRING

'EM UP.

WHO IS WITH ME?

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

WHOO, YEAH, ALL RIGHT.

FANTASTIC.

NOW, IS ANYONE CURIOUS ABOUT WHO

WE'RE GOING TO KILL?

( LAUGHTER )

JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO

KNOW.

IT'S FRIEND OF THE SHOW AND

INTERNATIONAL ALBINO

SUPERVILLAIN JULIAN ASSANGE.

WE KNOW JUST WHERE TO FIND HIM.

>> BREAKING NEWS OUT OF EUROPE

AT THIS HOUR.

THE GLOBAL MANHUNT FOR

WIKILEAKS' FOUNDER JULIAN

ASSANGE IS OVER.

>> THE MANHUNT FOR JULIAN

ASSANGE IS OVER.

>> THE MEANT NOW OVER.

-INTERNATIONAL MANHUNT FOR

JULIAN ASSANGE IS OVER.

>> Stephen: YES, AN

INTERNATIONAL MANHUNT IN THAT A

WARRANT WAS ISSUED FOR HIS

ARREST AND WITHIN HOURS HE

TURNED HIMSELF IN.

( LAUGHTER )

ASSANGE IS FACING MOLESTATION

CHARGE, WHICH HIS LAWYER HAS

TRIED TO PASS OFF AS MERELY SEX

BY SURPRISE.

( LAUGHTER )

WHICH I ASSUME MEANS HE'S SO

PALE THAT HE BLENDS INTO THE

SHEETS, SO WHEN YOU GET INTO

BED -- SURPRISE!

( APPLAUSE )

KEEP THAT HANDY, KEEP THAT

HANDY.

FOLKS, THOSE CHARGE, AN THEY ARE

DISTURBING, ARE IN SWEDEN.

WE NEED TO GET OUR HANDS ON HIM

FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE WITH

WIKILEAKS, BECAUSE THERE IS A

WORD FOR PEOPLE WHO PUBLISH

INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT THE

GOVERNMENT IS DOING.

>> JULIAN ASSANGE IS ENGAGED IN

TERRORISM.

HE SHOULD BE TREATED AS AN ENEMY

COMBATANT.

>> I THINK THE MAN IS A

HIGH-TECH TERRORIST.

>> Stephen: HE IS A TERRORIST.

WE DO NOT LET TERRORISTS RUB

FREE AFTER THE FIRST TEN YEARS.

TIME'S ALMOST UP, BIN LADEN.

SO ASSANGE IS CLEARLY A

TERRORIST, BUT HE CLAIMS HE'S

SOMETHING EVEN MORE SINISTER.

A JOURNALIST.

AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO IS

NOT BUYING THIS.

>> HE'S NOT A JOURNALIST.

THAT'S RIDICULOUS.

>> JULIAN ASSANGE IS NOT A

JOURNALIST.

>> MR. ASACK IS NOT A

JOURNALIST.

HE'S AN ANARCHIST, AND HE'S NOT

WORTHY OF THE PROTECTIONS OF A

JOURNALIST, BUT WE UNDERSTAND

THAT THE REPORTING OF THIS IS

SOMETHING THAT IS WHAT

JOURNALISTS DO.

>> Stephen: NAMELESS

GOVERNMENT GUY IS RIGHT.

JOURNALISTS DON'T UNCOVER

INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT THE

GOVERNMENT DOES BEHIND CLOSED

DOORS.

THEY REPORT IT WHEN SOMEONE ELSE

DOES AND THEN THAT PERSON IS

DECLARED A TERRORIST.

UNFORTUNATELY, ASSANGE IS STILL

PROTECTED BY THE FIG LEAF OF THE

FIRST AMENDMENT.

SO THERE'S ONLY ONE CIVILIZED

RESPONSE TO HIS ACTION.

>> WE CAN FIND A WAY TO GET HIM

TO COME TO THE UNITED STATES.

WE'LL TAKE MATTERS INTO OUR OWN

HANDS.

>> HE COULD BE EXECUTED.

>> I'D LIKE THE SEE A LITTLE

DRONE HIT ASSANGE.

>> I THINK ASSANGE SHOULD BE

ASSASSINATED.

I THINK OBAMA SHOULD PUT OUT A

CONTRACT AND MAYBE USE A DRONE

OR SOMETHING.

>> AND THAT LAST GUY IS

CANADIAN.

COME ON, AMERICA!

WE CAN'T LET CANADA

OUT-ASSASSINATE US.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

THE WAY THEY DO IT, BY THE WAY,

THE WAY THEY DO IT UP THERE IS,

PARDON ME, DO YOU MIND TERRIBLY

IF I ASSASSINATE YOU?

NO?

OKAY.

I'LL COME BACK.

SORRY.

( LAUGHTER )

NOW, FOR SOME REASON BARACK

OBAMA WON'T ORDER EAR DRONE

STRIKE ON LONDON.

SO FAR ALL WE'VE BEEN ABLE TO DO

IS CUT OFF THE CASH.

>> MASTERCARD RECENTLY BLOCKED

ITS CUSTOMERS TO DONATING MONEY

TO WIKILEAKS.

THAT FOLLOWED SIMILAR MOVES BY

VISA.

>> Stephen: SO IF YOU WANT TO

DONATE TO WIKILEAKS, YOU CAN'T

USE YOUR VISA OR YOUR

MASTERCARD.

THEY HAVE DRAWN A MRL LINE IN

THE SAND, BUT LUCKILY YOU CAN

STILL USE BOTH TO DONATE TO THE

KU KLUX KLAN.

( LAUGHTER )

ALTHOUGH MASTERCARD IS PREFERRED

CARD OF THE MASTER RACE.

SO WHAT... APPLAUSE

( APPLAUSE )

WHAT IN ALL OF THIS, WHAT IN ALL

OF THIS IS ASSANGE'S DEFENSE?

WELL, IN ABEDITORIAL THIS WEEK,

HE EXPLAINS, IN ITS LANDMARK

LOOKING IN THE PENTAGON PAPERS

CASE, THE U.S. SUPREME COURT

SAID ONLY A FREE AND

UNRESTRAINED PRESS CAN

EFFECTIVELY EXPOSE DECEPTION IN

GOVERNMENT.

THIS IS REALLY THE FAULT OF

DANIEL ELLSBERG, THE MAN WHO

LEAKED THE PENTAGON PAPERS WHICH

EXPOSED THE GOVERNMENT'S LIES.

WE SHOULD ORDER A DRONE STRIKE

ON THAT GUY.

HERE TO SIT IN THE EXACT SAME

COORDINATES FOR AT LEAST THREE

MINUTES, PLEASE WELCOME THE MAN

WHO LEAKED THE PENTAGON PAPERS,

MR. DANIEL ELLSBERG.

MR. ELLSBERG, THANKS SO MUCH FOR

COMING BACK.

HAVE A SEAT.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

I'M GOING TO KEEP THIS.

WATCH OUT.

LOOKS GOOD.

YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT LOOKS VERY

NATURAL ON YOU, SIR.

BEFORE WE START, IF YOU WOULD

JUST SANE THIS NON-DISCLOSURE

CLAUSE, IT'S STANDARD FOR ALL OF

MY GUESTS I CAN'T TRUST.

IT JUST SAYS "I WILL NOT SNITCH.

DANIELS ELLSBERG.

" NO?

>> I CAN'T IN GOOD FAITH.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, SIR.

NO, NO, NO.

I'LL WEAR IT.

NOW, SIR, IS JULIAN ASSANGE A

JOURNALIST?

>> THAT'S NOT FOR ME TO SAY.

I'M IN THE A JOURNALIST.

I'M A SOURCE.

>> Stephen: IS HE A CRIMINAL?

>> DEFINITELY NOT UNDER THE LAWS

OF THE UNITED STATES.

I WAS FIRST ONE PROSECUTED...

>> Stephen: AS A CRM YOU WERE

PROSECUTED.

>> I WAS PROSECUTED FOR THE

CHARGES THAT WOULD BE BROUGHT

AGAINST HIM.

I WAS FIRST PERSON EVER

PROSECUTED FOR A LEAK IN THIS

COUNTRY.

MOST PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THAT.

THAT WAS BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THERE

HAD BEEN A LOT OF LEAKS, THAT'S

BECAUSE THE FIRST AMENDMENT HAS

REALLY KEPT US FROM HAVING AN

OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT.

>> Stephen: BUT THE FIRST

AMENDMENT ONLY COVERS

JOURNALISTS.

THAT'S FREEDOM OF THE PRESS.

WHO IS ASSANGE TO SAY HE'S A

JOURNALIST?

THE GOVERNMENT GETS TO SAY WHO

IS OR ISN'T A JOURNALIST.

IF HE WANTS THE PROVE HE'S A

JOURNALIST, HE SHOULD LEAK

WHATEVER SECRET LIST THEY VZ

THAT SAYS WHO ARE JOURNALISTS.

>> THE FOUNDING OF THIS COUNTRY

WAS ON THE PRINCIPLE THAT THE

GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT HAVE SAY

AS TO WHAT WE HEAR AND THINK AN

READ.

>> Stephen: THERE ARE CERTAIN

THINGS THE PUBLIC SHOULD NOT

KNOW.

THAT'S WHAT WE ELECT A

GOVERNMENT FOR, TO ACT IN SECRET

WITH COMPLETE IMPUNITY.

LATER WE'LL FIND OUT WHETHER WE

LIKED IT.

>> THAT'S ONE OF THE OLDEST

TRADITIONS OF GOVERNMENT IN

HUMAN CIVILIZATION, BUT PEOPLE

DIDN'T CALL IT DEMOCRACY.

>> Stephen: YOU SAY THE SAME

THINGS BEING SAID ABOUT ASSANGE

WERE SAID ABOUT YOU BACK WHEN

YOU LIKED THE PENTAGON PAPERS.

WHAT SORT OF THINGS WERE SAID

ABOUT YOU?

>> THAT I WAS TRAITOR, THAT I

WAS TERRIBLE, THAT I WAS

GUILTY... THAT OUR DIPLOMACY

WOULD GO TO HELL.

>> Stephen: YOU LOST THE

VIETNAM WAR FOR US.

>> PAT BUCHANAN SAID THAT ON THE

AIR ACTUALLY.

>> Stephen: PAT'S A FRIEND.

( LAUGHTER )

WATCH IT.

>> THAT WAS A LITTLE GRANDIOSE.

>> Stephen: WHO IS TO BLAME

HERE?

IS BRADLEY MANNING THE PRIVATE

WHO TOOK THIS INFORMATION AN

GAVE IT TO JULIAN ASSANGE, IS HE

THE PERSON WE NEED TO STRING UP

HERE?

>> WE DON'T KNOW WHO DID IT.

>> Stephen: HE DID.

HE PLUGGED IT IN, DANCED TO LADY

GAGA AND TOOK ALL THE THINGS

DOWN.

THAT TURNED THE UNITED STATES

INTO A VICTIM.

WE'RE A HELPLESS, HARMLESS, MOST

POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD,

AND WE WERE TAKEN DOWN WE -- BY

A PRIVATE

>> IF HE DID WHAT HE'S ACCUSED

OF DOING, I THINK HE DID GREAT

SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY IN MANY

WAYS.

IN FACT, WE'RE NOT IN THE MESS

WE'RE IN, IN THE WORLD BECAUSE

OF TOO MANY LEAKS.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE SAYING IT'S

BETTER TO KNOW THAN NOT TO KNOW?

>> I SAY THERE SHOULD BE SOME

SECRETS, BUT I ALSO SAY WE'RE IN

IRAQ, WE INVADED IRAQ ILLEGALLY

BECAUSE OF A LACK OF A BRADLEY

MANNING HAT TIME.

WE COULD HAVE SAVED A ENORMOUS

NUMBER OF IRAQIS IF THERE HAD

BEEN PEOPLE IN THE...

>> Stephen: I WILL TELL YOU

THIS.

I USED TO AGREE WITH YOU UNTIL

WE WON.

( LAUGHTER )

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

DANIEL ELLSBERG.

THE MAN WHO LEAKED THE...

PLEASE.

ONE SECOND.

I GOT TO STRING YOU.

Loading...