Sugar Ray Leonard

  • Aired:  06/07/11
  •  | Views: 17,439

Sugar Ray Leonard describes what he thinks of boxing today and thumb wrestles Stephen. (7:50)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE).

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

FOLKS, MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE

VERY FIRST BOXER TO EARN MORE

THAN $100 MILLION IN PURSES.

PERSONALLY I WOULD HAVE ASKED

FOR CASH.

(LAUGHTER)

PLEASE WELCOME SUGAR RAY

LEONARD!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

MR. LEONARD, THANKS SO MUCH FOR

COMING ON.

MY GOODNESS, MY GOODNESS, LET'S

JUST LAY IT OUT FOR THE PEOPLE.

LET'S JUST... FIRST OF ALL, DING

DING.

BUT SECOND OF ALL LET'S LAY IT

OUT FOR THE PEOPLE.

YOU, OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST,

BOXING TITLES IN FIVE DIFFERENT

WEIGHT CLASSES.

YOU DEFEATED ROBERTO DURAN,

THOMAS HEARNS, MARVELOUS MARVIN

HAGGLER.

YOU HAVE A NEW MEMOIR "SUGAR RAY

LEONARD, THE BIG FIGHT, MY LIFE

IN AND OUT OF THE RING."

DO YOU MISS THE RING, SIR?

>> I DON'T MISS GETTING HIT.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Stephen: THE KEY IS TO NOT

GET HIT.

SOMEBODY SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU

THAT.

(LAUGHTER).

>> YOU KNOW, STEPHEN, I MISS THE

CAMARADERIE, I MISS TRAINING

CAMP.

I MISS CHOREOGRAPHING THE FIGHT

IN MY HEAD.

I MISS ALL THAT ACTION.

>> Stephen: CHOREOGRAPH, DO

YOU TAP DANCE, LIKE ALL

AMERICANS DO?

>> YES.

A LITTLE BIT.

>> Stephen: A LITTLE BIT?

>> Stephen: HEEL BALL

CHANGE... WHAT DO YOU CALL THAT?

KICK BALL CHANGE?

>> THAT'S AS FAR AS I GOT.

>> Stephen: NOW YOU REALLY

CAME TO PROMINENCE IN THE 1976

MONTREAL GAMES AND THAT'S WHEN I

BECAME A HUGE FAN.

YOU WERE THE BIG STAR OF THOSE

GAMES.

YOU GO IN THERE, SET YOUR MAN UP

AND THEN YOU HIT HIM WITH THIS

ABSOLUTE FLURRY.

YOU FACE STRAIGHT ON TO THE GUY

AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HIT HIM 50

TIMES IN THREE SECONDS AND THEY

WILL TURN TO GUAVA JELLY IN

FRONT OF YOU.

WAS THERE A NAME FOR THAT FLURRY

YOU DID?

>> WE CALL IT FLURRIES.

>> Stephen: FLURRIES?

>> YEAH, LITTLE FLURRIES.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE STUFF WAS

HAPPENING INSIDE THEIR SAID?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: IT WAS LIKE A SNOW

GLOBE, THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS TO

THEIR BRAIN INSIDE.

>> I DIDN'T TRY TO HURT THEM BUT

I TRY TO KEEP THEM OFF BALANCE.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Stephen: NOW YOU GOT

PUNCHED IN THE HEAD A LOT?

>> NOT REALLY.

I MEAN, ENOUGH BUT... YOU'RE

STILL GOOD LOOKING, MAN.

YOU DIDN'T MESS IT UP TOO MUCH.

>> MAKE UP.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Stephen: REALLY?

REALLY?

ME, TOO.

(LAUGHTER)

YOU SAY IN THE BOOK YOU WERE A

MASTER IN THE RING, YOU WEREN'T

ALWAYS A MASTER IN YOUR LIFE.

YOU... YOU DID SOME THINGS THAT

YOU REGRET.

DID YOU EVER TWEET PICTURES OF

YOUR JUNK?

(LAUGHTER)

>> THERE WAS NO TWEETING BACK

THEN.

(LAUGHTER).

>> Stephen: YOU DODGED A

BULLET.

WHAT WERE SOME OF THE PROBLEMS

YOU HAD IN YOUR REAL LIFE THAT

COULDN'T BE SOLVED BY PUNCHING

IT IN THE HEAD.

>> I THINK IT WAS INFIDELITY.

>> Stephen: OH, YEAH.

NO, WE CAN SAY THAT.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: WAS THERE A LOT

BEING OFFERED TO THE WORLD

CHAMPION?

>> YOU MEAN...

>> Stephen: YEAH, THE LADIES.

(LAUGHTER).

>> IT WAS UNAUTHORIZED.

>> Stephen: IT WAS

UNAUTHORIZED?

INFIDELITY USUALLY IS.

(LAUGHTER)

BUT YOU HAD CHARM AND STYLE.

DO YOU THINK THAT'S MISSING FROM

BOXING RIGHT NOW?

BECAUSE YOU COULD ELECTRIFY A

ROOM.

MY MOTHER-- VERY SWEET LADY--

SHE... WE... SHE AND I WOULD

WATCH YOU FIGHT.

AND THIS IS A VERY NICE WOMAN,

ELEVEN KIDS, WOULDN'T HURT A

FLEA BUT SHE WOULD WATCH YOU

FIGHT AND GO "I KNOW, IT'S

TERRIBLE, I KNOW BOTH OF THOSE

MEN IN THAT RING ARE SOMEBODY

REESE BABY, I KNOW IT'S A BLOOD

SPORT BUT GOD I LOVE IT SO

MUCH."

(LAUGHTER)

WELL, I TRIED TO BE ARTISTIC.

I TRIED TO I SAW YOU TAP DANCE.

>> Stephen: KICK BALL CHANGE.

>> BUT IT WAS ALL CHOREOGRAPHED.

IT WAS ALL MOVEMENT.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU SAYING

BOXING IS FAKE?

>> NO, NO, NO.

NO, IT'S REAL, VERY REAL.

BUT IN MY HEAD I WAS ABLE TO

MAKE THE GUYS DO WHAT I WANTED

THEM TO DO.

>> Stephen: COULD YOU... WHO

COULD YOU TAKE NOW?

MANNY PACAOU, YOU IN 1987,

AGAINST TODAY'S MANNY.

>> DONE, FINISHED.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

YOU NOW AGAINST A 1987 MANNY

PACAOU.

HE'S LIKE FOUR YEARS OLD, I

THINK.

STILL TOUGH, THOUGH, COULD YOU

TAKE HIM?

>> WIPE HIM OUT.

>> Stephen: ABSOLUTELY.

>> YOU FOUGHT AND DEFEATED FLOYD

MAYWEATHER, CORRECT?

>> WELL, HIS FATHER, I KNOCKED

HIM OUT.

>> Stephen: RIGHT, YOU KNOCKED

OUT FLOYD MAYWEATHER.

>> HIS FATHER.

>> Stephen: HIS SON IS

FIGHTING TODAY.

COULD YOU TAKE HIM?

BECAUSE IF YOU BEAT THE DAD

YOU'VE GOT TO BE ABLE TO BEAT

THE SON.

>> LIKE FATHER LIKE SON.

SAME THING.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WHAT DO YOU THINK

OF BOXING TODAY?

BECAUSE I HAVEN'T REALLY WATCHED

MUCH BOXING SINCE IT ALL WENT

PAY-PER-VIEW.

IT USED TO BE YOU WOULD CASUALLY

KIND OF CATCH A BOXING MATCH.

YOU COULD CATCH A CHAMPIONSHIP

MATCH ACCIDENTALLY AS YOU'RE

FLIPPING BY STATIONS.

NOW YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE

DECISION TO PUT DOWN THE MONEY

TO WATCH PEOPLE BRUTALIZE EACH

OTHER.

(LAUGHTER)

BUT BEFORE YOU JUST GET SUCKED

INTO THE SWEET SCIENCE AND THE

NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU'RE

PUNCHING YOUR BROTHER IN THE

FACE.

(LAUGHTER).

>> IT'S DIFFERENT.

CHAMPIONS DON'T FIND CHAMPIONS

ANYMORE.

AND THEY'RE NOT AS MANY

PERSONALITIES AND CHARACTERS AND

CHAMPIONS.

AND THERE'S SO MANY

SELF-GOVERNING BODIES.

WBA, WBC, IBU, YOU BE ME.

ALL THESE BODIES.

AND THE AMATEUR PROGRAMMING HAS

REALLY GONE DOWN BECAUSE BACK IN

THE DAY GOLDEN GLOVES WAS A HUGE

EVENT.

THE OLYMPICS WAS HUGE AND NOW

IT'S NOT SHOWN AS MUCH.

BUT WE NEED TO GO BACK TO THE

BASICS.

START AMATEUR COMPETITION

STRONG.

>> Stephen: WHAT ABOUT

ULTIMATE FIGHTING?

YOU LIKE THAT?

WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO GET IN THAT

RING AND WRESTLE A 400-POUND

WHITE SUPREMACIST AND...

(LAUGHTER).

ELBOW HIM IN THE NUTS?

BECAUSE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.

>> Stephen: I COULD BE

MOTIVATED.

>> Stephen: YOU COULD BE

MOTIVATED?

>> I COULD BE MOTIVATED.

>> Stephen: I CAN'T BELIEVE

I'M DOING THIS BUT I'M GOING TO

THROW DOWN THE GLOVE RIGHT NOW.

WILL YOU THUMB WRESTLE ME?

>> YES.

(LAUGHTER).

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> ALL RIGHT, OH, YEAH.

NOW, YOU UNDERSTAND I'M A

FIGHTER.

I'M A REAL FIGHTER.

>> Stephen: OH, YOU UNDERSTAND

I HAVE EIGHT BROTHERS.

(LAUGHTER)

ALL RIGHT?

ALL RIGHT?

ONE, TWO, THREE FOUR...

>> WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

YOU'RE ALREADY, WHAT, NO?

LOOK HOW LONG THAT THUMB IS!

6-

>> TWO ROUNDS?

THREE ROUNDS.

>> Stephen: OH!

OKAY, ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, I

DECLARE A THUMB WAR.

ALL RIGHT, GO.

(LAUGHTER)

YES!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

I BEAT WORLD CHAMPION SUGAR RAY

LEONARD!

THE BOOK IS "THE BIG FIGHT."

GET IT!

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...