David Frum

  • Aired:  01/18/12
  •  | Views: 19,192

Columnist David Frum calls for an economically inclusive, environmentally responsible and socially modern Republican party. (5:57)

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT SAYS THAT

ROMNEY IS THE HOPE OF THE

REPUBLICAN PARTY.

THAT'S FUNNY, BECAUSE HE'S ALSO

THE HOPE OF THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN.

PLEASE WELCOME DAVID FRUM.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

HEY MR. FRUM.

DAVID, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

THANKS FOR COMING BACK.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, ALL

RIGHT.

YOU ARE NO STRANGER TO THIS

SHOW.

YOU KNOW I'M GOING TO BRING IT

HOT AND HARD, AND YOU KNOW I GOT

SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE THINGS

YOU'RE SAYING RIGHT NOW.

>> I'M READY FOR IT.

>> Stephen: BACK IN NOVEMBER

YOU WROTE A LITTLE ARTICLE FOR

"NEW YORK" MAGAZINE THAT SAID,

"WHEN DID THE G.O.P. LOSE TOUCH

WITH REALITY."

>> YES.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

FIRST OF ALL, WHY IS IT A BAD

THING TO LOSE TOUCH WITH

REALITY?

HAVE YOU SEEN REALITY LATELY?

IT'S TERRIBLE.

>> IT'S PRETTY BAD.

AND A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE

SUFFERING PRETTY BADLY.

AND WHAT HAPPENS IN A DEMOCRACY

IS PARTIES SHOULD BE COMPETING

TO OFFER SOLUTIONS TO THE

PROBLEMS THAT PEOPLE HAVE.

>> Stephen: THEY ARE.

THEY ARE.

THE REPUBLICANS ARE COMPETING TO

SEE WHO CAN DO THE BIGGEST TAX

CUT.

>> WORKABLE SOLUTIONS THAT

DELIVER REAL BENEFITS FOR AS

MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE.

>> Stephen: THAT WAS BACK IN

NOVEMBER THAT IN THIS "NEW YORK"

MAGAZINE YOU SAID, "HAS THE

REPUBLICAN PARTY LOST TOUCH WITH

REALITY."

NOW YOU THINK THAT THEY HAVE

GOTTEN BACK IN TOUCH WITH

REALITY.

WHY?

BASED ON WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU

SEE THAT?

>> WELL, I'M NOT MAKING SUCH A

BIG CLAIM.

THE CLAIM I'M MAKING IS, LOOK,

WE NEED A REPUBLICAN PARTY

THAT'S ECONOMICALLY INCLUSIVE,

ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE,

SOCIALLY MODERN AND THAT CAN

COMPETE EFFECTIVELY FOR THE

VOTES OF EVERYBODY.

>> Stephen: I DISAGREE WITH

EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID.

IF YOU THINK ROMNEY IS THAT GUY.

>> THE FIRST TIME I EVER SAW

MITT ROMNEY WAS IN PERSON WAS IN

THE SUMMER OF 2006.

HE WAS TALKING THE A SMALL GROUP

ABOUT THE HEALTH CARE PLAN HE

BROUGHT TO MASSACHUSETTS.

AND ONE OF THE THINGS I HAVE

BECOME A HUGE BELIEVER IN IS THE

IMPORTANCE OF ADMINISTRATIVE

SKILL, EXECUTIVE ABILITY.

HE KNEW HIS BRIEF.

HE KNEW HIS MATERIALMENT HE

TALKED ABOUT HOW HE USED PRIVATE

SECTOR COMPETITION TO BRING

UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE COVERAGE

TO A STATE WHERE 6% TO 10% OF

THE POPULATION WAS UNINSURED.

THAT WAS REAL ACHIEVEMENT.

I THOUGHT THAT GUY COULD REALLY

RUN AN ORGANIZATION.

>> BUT THIS THING IS THE SAME

THING HE'S RUNNING AWAY FROM SO

FAST AS IF THERE'S A RABID TIGER

ON HIS TAIL.

DO YOU THINK THE THINGS HE'S

SAYING NOW ARE NOT WHAT HE MEANS

OR ARE THE THINGS THAT YOU HEARD

HIM TALK ABOUT IN 2006 NOT WHAT

HE MEANS BECAUSE "YOU CAN QUOTE YOU LIKE

ROMNEY.

I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE YOU LIKE?

>> I THINK HE'S THE PERSON WHO

IS HIS FATHER'S SON.

HIS FATHER IS ONE OF THE

GREAT...

>>

>> Stephen: I CERTAINLY HOPE

SO.

THAT WOULD BE A TERRIBLE SCANDAL

IF HE IS NOT.

AND I THINK THAT'S OFFENSIVE TO

EVEN BRING UP THAT ISSUE.

BUT GO AHEAD.

>> ONE OF THE GREAT INCLUSIVE

REPUBLICANS OF THE 20th

CENTURY AND MAN WHO...

>> WHAT ABOUT THE GUY WHO SAYS

OBAMA IS A SOCIALIST AND WILLING

TO RAISE HIS HANDS OVER NOT SURE

ABOUT EVOLUTION?

I LIKE THAT GUY.

THAT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE GUY

YOU THINK HE IS.

>> I DON'T LIKE ANY OF THAT.

AND THAT'S THE ONLY PART I LIKE.

BUT, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN'T ASK

THESE GUYS TO BE MARTYRS THAT.

IS A... WE HAVE A CRISIS IN THE

REPUBLICAN PARTY OF

FOLLOWERSHIP, OF PEOPLE WHO ARE

WILLING OF WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO

TO COMPETE AND RUN IN THIS

MODERN COUNTRY.

THE REPUBLICANS I THINK DID NOT

UNDERSTAND ENOUGH WHAT HAPPENED

IN 2006 AND 2008, AND THEY

OVERINTERPRET WHAT HAPPENED IN

2010.

>> Stephen: TALK ABOUT 2010,

TEA PARTY.

DO YOU THINK, AND LISTEN, I WANT

THE REPUBLICANS TO WIN.

I JUST THINK WE NEED A STAUNCH

CONSERVATIVE TO DO IT BECAUSE

THE TEA PARTY GAVE ALL THAT FUEL

TO THE REPUBLICANS TWO YEARS

AGO.

HOW CAN ROMNEY APPEAL TO THE TEA

PARTY?

AS A MORMON, I'M NOT SURE HE'S

ALLOWED TO DRINK TEA OR PARTY.

[APPLAUSE]

[CHEERING]

>> IF WE COULD ARRANGE IT SO

THAT IN 2012 ONLY 40% OF THE

AMERICAN PEOPLE CAME OUT TO VOTE

AND A QUARTER OF THEM WERE OVER

THE AGE OF 65...

>> Stephen: THE REPUBLICANS

ARE WORKING ON IT.

>> THEN THE TEA PARTY IDEA MIGHT

WORK.

THIS IS A COUNTRY FULL OF YOUNG

PEOPLE.

THIS IS A COUNTRY FULL OF PEOPLE

WORRIED MORE ABOUT UNEMPLOYMENT

THAN PROTECTING THEIR PERSONAL

MEDICARE.

ONE THING I WORRY ABOUT A LOT IS

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A REPUBLICAN

POLICY THAT IS MORE THAN A

GOING-OUT-OF-BUSINESS SALE FOR

THE BABY BOOM GENERATION.

>> Stephen: IF ROMNEY WINS ON

SATURDAY, SHOULD NEWTON AND RON

PAUL AN PERRY AND SANTORUM GET

OUT OF THE RACE?

>> THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE TO VERY

SOON BECAUSE THE MONEY WILL DRY

UP.

>> Stephen: FOR THE GOOD OF

THE PARTY?

>> I THINK IN SOME WAYS DEBATES

ARE GOOD.

>> Stephen: YES OR NO, SHOULD

THEY GET OUT?

>> I THINK THAT I WOULD LIKE TO

SEE THIS OVER AS RAPIDLY AS

POSSIBLE AND ALLOW ROMNEY TO

START COMPETING FOR THE VOTES OF

THE AMERICAN PUBLIC AS A WHOLE

AND NOT JUST TO THE SMALL PART

OF IT THAT TAKES PART IN

REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES.

>> WHAT ABOUT THIRD-PARTY

CANDIDATES?

IN THE SAME POLL, IN A THREE-WAY

RACE, I WOULD GET 13% RUNNING AS

AN INDEPENDENT.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> I'VE BEEN THINKING A LOT

ABOUT YOUR SPEECH AT THE TAMPA

CONVENTION.

>> I HAVE, TOO.

>> AND I THINK...

>> Stephen: I THINK THEY OWE

ME AT THIS POINT AT LEAST LIKE A

3:00 A.M. SPOT.

>> YOU'VE LOCKED DOWN THE

REPUBLICAN BASE.

I THINK WE NEED TO BROADEN YOUR

APPEAL TO MODERATES AND

INDEPENDENTS.

>> Stephen: SHOULD I JUST

PRETEND I BELIEVE THINGS I DON'T

SO I CAN WIN LIKE ROMNEY?

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> DON'T YOU DO THAT EVERY

NIGHT?

DON'T YOU DO THAT EVERY NIGHT?

>> Stephen: I BELIEVE EVERY

WORD I SCREAM DOWN THAT PIPE.

DAVID, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING ME.

FROM THE DAIL BEAT AND

"NEWSWEEK."

DAVID FRUM.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

THANK YOU.

Loading...