Gitmo Hunger Strike - Charles Swift

  • Aired:  05/02/13
  •  | Views: 11,604

Retired Lieutenant Commander Charles Swift believes Congress views Gitmo prisoners as a political football rather than a threat. (3:37)

BUT THE POINT IS, FOLKS, THE

POINT IS WHEN IT COMES TO GITMO,

IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

HERE TO DEBLISS ME IS RETIRED

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER IN THE

JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL CORPS,

CHARLES SWIFT.

MR. SWIFT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING ME.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

SIR, YOU WERE-- YOU WERE ONE OF

THE LEAD ATTORNEYS FOR HANDAN.

AND HE WAS OSAMA BIN LADEN'S

DRIVER.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

>> Stephen: YOU GUYS GOT HIM

OFF.

>> HE'S HOME IN YENL.

HE WAS ACQUITTED.

>> Stephen: YOU GOT HIM OFF,

YOU GOT HIM OFF UPON YOU SPRUK

HIM.

YOU SPRUNG A TERRORIST.

GOOD FOR YOU.

>> ACTUALLY, I LIKE TONG THAT

DUE PROCESS WORKED AND AN

INNOCENT MAN WAS RELEASED AFTER

FIVE YEARS IN CAPTIVITY.

>> Stephen: WE'LL NEVER KNOW

BECAUSE HE TO THE AWAY.

NOW, THESE GUYS ARE TERRORISTS

AT GITMO.

WHY DO WE CARE IF THEY'RE ON A

HUNGER STRIKE?

>> FIRST OFF, WE DON'T KNOW THAT

THEY'RE TERRORISTS.

>> Stephen: YEAH, BECAUSE

THEY HAVEN'T BEEN CHARGED WITH

ANYTHING, AND THEY SHOULDN'T BE

BECAUSE THEY MIGHT BE INNOCENT.

THEM WE'D HAVE TO LET THEM GO,

AND THEY COULD ATTACK US FOR

HOLDING THEM WITHOUT CAUSE.

( LAUGHTER )

>> YEAH, WELL, YOU KNOW, UNDER

THAT LOGIC, WE CAN DO AWAY WITH

THE ENTIRE CRIMINAL JUSTICE

SYSTEM AS A WHOLE.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT.

( LAUGHTER )

( APPLAUSE )

I WOULDN'T GO THAT FAR, BUT GO

AHEAD.

>> WELL IN THE HEART LAND OF

WHAT WE DO AS A NATION IS

SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE

CONSTITUTION.

WE'RE DEDICATED AS A COUNTRY

THAT IS DEDICATED TO THE RULE OF

LAW, AND THE IDEA OF HOLDING

SOMEBODY WITHOUT EVER HAVING A

TRIAL, CALLING THEM A TERRORIST

BUT NEVER GIVING THEM AN

OPPORTUNITY TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR

INNOCENCE IS SIMPLY

ANTI-AMERICAN.

>> Stephen: OKAY, BUT, WE--

WE WENT THROUGH ALL OF THIS

YEARS AGO WHEN GITMO WAS SET UP.

WE HAD ALL THESE ARGUMENTS, YOU

KNOW, 10, 12 YEARS AGO.

THESE GUYS HAVE BEEN THERE FOR

12 YEARS.

THEY'RE ALMOST READY TO HAVE

THEIR BEHIND-BARS MITZVAH.

WE DID ALL THIS, OKAY.

WE SETTLED IT.

WE SETTLED THAT GITMO CAN EXIST

AND THOSE PEOPLE MUST BE KEPT

THERE.

>> ACTUALLY, WE DIDN'T SETTLE

ANY OF THAT.

>> Stephen: I DID.

>> WELL, YES, CONGRESS IN 2008

AFTER HAVING LET PRESIDENT BUSH

RELEASE 600 DETAINEES WITHOUT A

SINGLE COMMENT --

>> Stephen: 16% OF WHICH WENT

BACK TO TERROR.

>> ACTUALLY, IN THE-- NOT 16%.

IT'S CLOSER TO ABOUT 3% WERE

ACTUALLY INVOLVED IN ANYTHING,

UNLESS YOU SAY THAT WRITING AN

OP-ED IS TERRORIZING.

>> Stephen: IT IS.

>> OKAY.

>> Stephen: HAVE YOU READ THE

"NEW YORK TIMES" OPINION PAGE?

LAUGH OKAY.

>> I SEE YOUR POINT.

>> Stephen: OKAY, GO AHEAD.

>> THE REASON THEY'RE THERE

ISN'T BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY'VE

DONE, BECAUSE OF THE THREAT THEY

POSE, BUT BECAUSE CONGRESS VIEWS

THEM AS A POLITICAL FOOTBALL TO

KICK AROUND, WHICH DOESN'T MAKE

US SAFER.

IN THE END-- AND THINK ABOUT IT

THIS WAY.

IF YOU HAD A RELATIVE SOMEWHERE

IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND EVERYONE

HAD SAID THEY POSE NODE THREAT

TO THE COUNTRY.

THEY'D DONE NOTHING WRONG, AND

WE'RE GOING TO RETHESE THEM,

EXCEPT THE GOVERNMENT HAS

DECIDED NOT TO FUND THEIR

RELEASE, WOULD YOU BE ANGRY

ENOUGH TO BOMB THAT COUNTRY?

>> Stephen: I THINK WE HAVE

BOMBED MOST OF THOSE COUNTRIES

ALREADY.

WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING ME.

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER-- HOMELAND

ON ONE SECOND, SIR.

LIEUTENANT COMMANDER CHARLES

SWIFT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

Loading...