Clinton Global Initiative University Exchange Fair

  • Aired:  04/09/13
  •  | Views: 59,180

Stephen joins Bill and Chelsea Clinton to check out problem-solving projects, like helmet concussion sensors and fecal-powered toilets. (8:36)

BUT IT'S A NONPROFIT.

WE CONDUCTED OUR HISTORIC CHAT IN ST. LOUIS SITE OF THIS QUEER'S CLINTON GLOBAL

INITIATIVE UNIVERSITY WHERE EVERY YEAR COLLEGE STUDENTS PRESENT PROJECTS THAT MAKE THE

WORLD A BETTER PLACE.

FOR INSTANCE, A FEW YEARS AGO JESSICA MATTHEWS APRIL TENDED CGIU AND DESIGNED A SOCCER BALL

THAT GENERATES ELECTRICITY FOR PEOPLE IN EMERGING ECONOMIES.

AFTER 30 MINUTES OF PLAY IT CAN POWER A LIGHT FOR THREE HOURS.

BEST OF ALL, YOU ONLY HAVE TO WATCH 30 MINUTES OF SOCCER.

[ LAUGHTER ]

SO --

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

WHO KNOWS WHAT BIG IDEA WILL BE NEXT?

JIM?

>> I HEADED OVER TO THE CGIU'S EXCHANGE FAIR TO CHECK OUT SOME OF THE PROBLEM SOLVING PROJECTS

BEING PRESENTED BY THE BRILLIANT YOUNG MINDS.

BUT FIRST I MET UP WITH SOME OLD FRIENDS.

>> AS FAR AS I CAN TELL THE PROJECTS THAT YOU GOT THESE YOUNG PEOPLE CREATING TODAY,

THIS IS LIKE A SCIENCE FAIR BUT FOR NOBLE CAUSES, RIGHT?

>> THAT'S A PRETTY GOOD CHARACTERIZATION.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

MY PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE COMMITMENT PART.

WHY NOT JUST SAY WE'RE GOING TO DO SOMETHING AND IF WE DO, WE DO AND IF WE DON'T, WE DON'T.

OUR HEARTS WERE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

>> BECAUSE TALK IS JUST THAT, TALK.

IF IT TRIGGERS AN ACTION OR IDEA IT MATTERS.

>> Stephen: IF I FIND OUT BACK HERE A FOURTH BATMAN MOVIE IS RELEASED I'M MISSING OUT.

I HAVE TO WATCH IT ON DVD AND IT'S NOT THE SAME.

WHAT IF IT'S IN 3-D.

>> THEN YOU THINK ABOUT HOW GRATEFUL YOU PEOPLE IN AFRICA ARE THAM YOU GAVE THEM CLEAN WATER.

>> Stephen: BUT I MISSED BATMAN 4.

>> BUT YOU SAW IT ON DVD.

>> Stephen: STILL --

>> WE HAVE $CLOSE TO 500,000 TO INVEST IN THE BEST COMMITMENT TO HELP THE STUDENTS TRANSLATE

THEIR IDEAS NOT ONLY INTO COMMITMENTS BUT THE COMMITMENTS TO REAL ACTION.

>> Stephen: I WOULD LOVE TO LOOK AT THE PROJECTS.

ALL RIGHT.

>> SO THIS IS A LOW COST TECHNOLOGY THAT EXTRACTS THE WATER FROM THE ATMOSPHERIC AIR.

>> Stephen: THAT LOOKS A LOT LIKE A BONG.

IS THERE ANY CHANCE THAT THAT IS JUST A BONG?

YOU WERE NOT LIKE IN YOUR DORM ROOM AND THE RA SAID WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH A BONG.

IT'S TO CONVERT ATMOSPHERIC MOISTURE INTO WATER THAT IS AD FOIBLE?

NO, JUST MAKING SURE.

COULD IT BE USED AS A BONG?

>> UM, I DON'T THINK SO.

>> Stephen: IT WOULD BE THE ONLY THING IN THE WORLD THAT COULD NOT THEN.

>> WE'RE DEVELOPING A SENSOR TO INSTALL IN A FOOTBALL HELMET TO DETECT TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY

AND REPORT?

>> Stephen: WHY DO WE NEED THAT?

I PLAYED FOOTBALL AS A KID AND I NEVER SUFFERED ANY BRAIN INJURY.

>> MOST STUDENTS DON'T EVEN KNOW THEY RECEIVED A CONCUSSION OVER THEIR PLAYING TIME.

>> Stephen: BUT WHY DO WE NEED THIS BECAUSE I PLAYED FOOTBALL AS A KID AND NEVER SUFFERED A

BRAIN INJURY.

>> BECAUSE THERE'S BEEN A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE.

>> Stephen: BUT WHY DO WE NEED THIS, I PLAYED FOOTBALL AS A KID AND NEVER SUFFERED A BRAIN INJURY.

WHY DO YOU ENFORCE THE COMMITMENT?

>> IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THE COMMITMENT WE WON'T INVITE YOU BACK.

>> Stephen: MY ADVICE FOR THE KIDS JUST TRYING, BASED ON THAT SHOOT LOW SO YOU KNOW YOU MAKE

YOUR COMMITMENT.

>> I SEE IT DIFFERENTLY.

EVEN IF YOU DON'T ACHIEVE 100%, IF YOU ACHIEVE 20% YOU MADE A TANGIBLE DIFFERENCE.

>> Stephen: IF YOU SAY I COMMIT TOP END WORLD HUNGER STEP ONE MAKE YOURSELF A SANDWICH.

IF YOU DON'T GO FURTHER AT LEAST YOU KNOW YOU TOOK THE FIRST STEP AND YOU ARE INVITED BACK.

YOU ARE USING HIP-HOP TO BRIDGE THE GAP BETWEEN A LOCAL COMMUNITY THAT HAS HIGH CRIME

AND THE SWATHMORE COMMUNITY.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: HERE IS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

YOU SEEM TO CARE.

WHAT HAPPENED TO PUTTING YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND WAVING THEM LIKE YOU JUST DON'T CARE.

WHAT S- THAT NOT PART OF HIP-HOP.

>> IT'S SOCIAL CHANGE AND SOCIAL JUSTICE.

>> Stephen: I UNDERSTAND THAT PART.

I'M FINE WITH CARING I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY HANDS NOW.

DO YOU MIND IF I HOP IN HERE AND GET MY GROOVE ON.

>> HIT IT.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

THANK YOU.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> WE'RE FROM COLUMBIA AND WE GIVE FARMERS TRAINING ACCESS TO FINANCIAL SERVICES AND USE THEIR

CROPS TO PRODUCE A LINE OF READY TO DRINK TEAZ.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE PARTNERING WITH FARMERS IN COLOMBIA TO MOVE THEIR PRODUCT TO MARKET IN THE

UNITED STATES.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: OKAY, WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO CALL THE D.E.A. OR DO YOU WANT TO TURN YOURSELF IN?

TELL ME WHAT YOUR PROJECT IS HERE?

>> THERE'S 650 MILLION INDIANS WHO DEFECATE OUTSIDE EVERY SINGLE DAY.

>> Stephen: IS THAT A HOBBY?

WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: NATURALLY DO IT HERE WHY OUTSIDE THERE?

>> THEY DON'T HAVE TOILETS.

WE BUILD COMMUNITY BLOCKS OF TOILETS AND GENERATE ELECTRICITY FROM THE METHANE GAS PRODUCED

FROM HUMAN WASTE.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE WIND POWER, SOLAR POWER IS POOP POWER COMING?

>> I THINK IT IS.

WE'RE HOPING TO MAKE IT THE NEXT BIG THING IN INDIA.

>> Stephen: WHERE SHOULD PEOPLE BE MAILING YOU THEIR POOP?

>> I HAVE A BUSINESS CARD.

>> Stephen: AFTER WITNESSING WHAT EACH INDIVIDUAL STUDENT WAS DOING I KNEW I NEEDED TO MAKE A

WORLD CHANGING COMMITMENT OF MY OWN.

I WAS SO INSPIRED BY THE COMMITMENT OF THESE YOUNG PEOPLE, AND IF I HAVE ONLY ONE

CRITICISM OF THEIR PROJECTS IT'S JUST THAT EACH ONE ONLY ADDRESSES ONE PROBLEM AT A TIME.

THAT'S WHY I'M SO PROUD TO INTRODUCE OUR PROJECT, THIS MODEL VOLUME CANO.

AS YOU CAN SEE THE MODEL VOLCANO ITSELF IS SAY METO FAR FOR ALL THE -- METAPHOR FOR ALL THE

PROBLEMS OF THE WORLD.

WE'RE GOING TO ADDRESS ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS WITH OUR IDEAS BECAUSE THIS METAPHOR HAS

ANOTHER METAPHOR INSIDE OF IT.

IT'S A TWO LITER BOTTLE OF DIET SAIDA.

THAT REPRESENTS THE PLANS AND INITIATIVES THAT IS GOING TO FIX THIS STUFF AND I CAN WORK THAT

STUFF OUT.

THAT'S THE EASY PART.

HOW DO I GET MY IDEAS OUT ON TO THE PROBLEMS?

THAT IS MY THIRD METAPHOR.

THIS MENTO SYMBOLIZES THE FUNDINGLY NEED TO MAKE THIS PROJECT A REALITY, OKAY.

MR. PRESIDENT, CHELSEA, LET'S MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO STEP BACK.

[ LAUGHTER ]

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

WOO!

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

[LAUGHTER]

NOW I WANT TO GET THIS TO BILL GATES.

OKAY, BECAUSE I NEED THE FUNDING TO MAKE THIS FULL SCALE BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THE LARGER THE

VOLCANO, THE MORE PROBLEMS WE CAN SOLVE.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

>> WE'LL GET BACK TO YOU.

>> Stephen: OKAY, GREAT.

GREAT.

FOR ONE OF YOU YOUNG PEOPLE COULD COME UP WITH AN INITIATIVE TO CLEAN THIS BECAUSE I HAVE A

PRIVATE JET TO CATCH.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

WHAT A PLEASURE.

>> VERY NICE STEPHEN.

>> Stephen: ALL RIGHT, BYE.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

FOLKS --

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

FOLKS, IF YOU THINK THE VOLCANO WAS IMPRESSIVE WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR MY PROJECT IS SOLVING WORLD

HUNGER BY REVERSE ENGINEERING