Ray Odierno

  • Aired:  12/14/11
  •  | Views: 18,351

General Ray Odierno enumerates the reasons why America's employers should hire homecoming Iraq war veterans. (6:00)

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS HERE TO MARK

THE END OF THE IRAQ WAR.

IT BETTER BE OVER.

OR YOU'RE SERIOUSLY AWOL.

PLEASE WELCOME GENERAL RAY

ODIERNO.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

GENERAL, THANKS SO MUCH.

HAVE A SEAT.

ALL RIGHT.

NOW, IT SAYS I GOT TO GET THE

COLORS OUT.

THERE WE GO.

THERE WE GO.

FLAG OF THE STATES.

FLAG OF COLBERT NATION.

SIR, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

>> GOOD TO SEE YOU, TOO.

>>

>> Stephen: REMIND EVERYBODY

WHO MAY NOT KNOW ALL THE CV, IF

I MAY.

YOU ARE THE 38th CHIEF OF

STAFF OF THE U.S. ARMY.

REMEMBER THE JOINT CHIEFS.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: THOSE ARE BIG.

PREVIOUSLY COMMANDED THE U.S.

JOINT FORCES COMMAND.

YOU WERE COMMANDING GENERAL OF

THE MULTINATIONAL FORCE IRAQ,

U.S. FORCES OF IRAQ,

MULTINATIONAL IRAQ.

YOU COMMANDED THE FOURTH

INFANTRY DIVISION.

AND THE LAST TROOPS WILL BE

COMING BACK FROM IRAQ BY

DECEMBER 31st.

IS THE WAR OVER?

>> THE WAR'S OVER, STEPHEN.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> CROWD U.S.A. SAY, U-S-A,

U-S-A!

>> Stephen: THANK YOU.

WHAT IF HOSTILITIES BREAK OUT IN

IRAQ AGAIN?

>> WELL, AGAIN, WE DON'T FORESEE

THAT HAPPENING.

WE REALLY BELIEVE THAT THE

IRAQIS WILL BE ABLE TO SOLVE

THEIR PROBLEMS INTERNALLY.

THEY ARE A SOVEREIGN AND FOR THE

MOST PART A STABLE STATE NOW,

AND WE THINK THEY CAN HANDLE

THAT THEMSELVES.

WE DON'T SEE ANYTHING BREAKING

OUT HERE ANY TIME SOON.

>> OKAY.

I HEARD A LOT FROM THE BLAME

AMERICA FIRST CROWD OVER THE

LAST NINE YEARS.

ABOUT HOW THERE WEREN'T WEAPONS

OF MASS DESTRUCTION.

>> RIGHT.

>> Stephen: AND HOW THERE WAS

NO CONNECTION TO AL QAEDA.

DO YOU THINK BECAUSE THE

PURPORTED REASONS FOR THE WAR

WHEN WE FIRST WENT IN DIDN'T

PROVE TO BE TRUE, THIS IS THE

WAR THAT CRIED WOLF AND IT MIGHT

ACTUALLY KEEP US FROM GOING

AFTER ENEMIES IN THE FUTURE THAT

HAVE A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER?

>> I WOULD JUST SAY FIRST WE

HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THIS WAS A

BRUTAL DICTATOR, AN INDIVIDUAL

WHO KILLED HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS

OF THOUSANDS OF HIS OWN PEOPLE.

WE FOUND MASS GRAVES ALL OVER

IRAQ, AND I BELIEVE HE HAD A

HATRED FOR THE UNITED STATES.

I BELIEVE IF HE WAS GIVEN THE

OPPORTUNITY, HE WOULD HAVE DONE

EVERYTHING HE CAN TO TARGET OR

SOMEHOW REPAY THE UNITED STATES

FOR OUSTING HIM FROM KUWAIT BACK

IN THE EARLY '90s.

SO I BELIEVE THAT HE WAS A

FACTOR OF INSTABILITY IN THE

MIDDLE EAST AND I THINK THE

MIDDLE EAST IS A MUCH BETTER

PLACE WITHOUT SADDAM HUSSEIN IN

POWER IN IRAQ.

>> WHAT WOULD YOU SAY...

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: WHAT WOULD YOU SAY

TO THE EMPLOYERS OF AMERICA

ABOUT OUR TROOPS WHO ARE COMING

HOME?

BECAUSE THEY'RE COMING HOME TO A

VERY TOUGH ECONOMY.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: SELL EMPLOYERS ON

HIRING VETERANS.

>> FIRST OFF I WOULD SAY YOU GET

SELFLESS SERVICE.

YOU GET SOMEBODY WITH INTEGRITY.

YOU GET SOMEBODY WITH HIGH MORAL

VALUES.

YOU GET SOMEBODY WITH A WORK

ETHIC.

YOU GET SOMEONE WHO IS WILLING

TO SACRIFICE AND PUT SOMETHING

BEFORE HIMSELF.

AND YOU GET SOMEBODY WHO

DESERVES THE THANKFULNESS OF

THEIR COUNTRY BECAUSE THEY WERE

WILLING TO RAISE THEIR RIGHT

HAND AND DEFEND OUR COUNTRY.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: WHAT CHANGES FOR

YOU NOW THAT THE IRAQ WAR IS

OVER?

I ASSUME THAT YOU ARE KEEPING

YOUR HEAD SHAVED IN SOLIDARITY

WITH OUR TROOPS NOW ARE YOU

GOING TO LET YOUR GOLDEN LOCKS

GROW RIGHT BACK OUT BECAUSE YOUR

NICKNAME AT WEST POINT WAS

RAPUNZEL, WAS IT NOT?

>> I WISH I COULD, IN FACT, GROW

MY HAIR OUT, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I

CAN'T, BUT DIDN'T WE MAKE A BET

THAT YOU SAID, WHEN WE FINALLY

COME INTO IRAQ, YOU WOULD LET ME

SHAVE YOUR HEAD ONE MORE TIME?

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: NO.

NO.

[AUDIENCE CHANTING "STEPHEN"]

>> Stephen: UNLESS THE

PRESIDENT IS ABOUT TO APPEAR ON

THAT SCREEN BEHIND YOU, WITH ALL

DUE RESPECTED, YOU CAN GO TO

HELL.

LET ME ASK YOU A QUICK QUESTION:

HOW MUCH BESTIALITY IS THERE IN

THE MILITARY, BECAUSE MICHELE

BACHMANN SEEMS INCREDIBLY

WORRIED THAT THE TROOPS ARE ON

HAIR TRIGGER?

>> WELL, STEPHEN, I WILL SAY

THAT I HAVE NOT WITNESSED ANY OF

THAT IN MY 35 YEARS IN THE

MILITARY.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

THE TROOPS HAVE BEEN IN

AFGHANISTAN FOR 11 YEARS.

AFTER A WHILE THOSE GOATS HAVE

TO LOOK PRETTY GOOD.

>> I HAVEN'T SEEN IT.

>> Stephen: WELL I'LL PASS

THAT MESSAGE ON TO HER.

I KNOW THAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO

BE APOLITICAL, BUT IS THERE ANY

CHANCE THAT YOU WOULD JUMP INTO

THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARIES?

BECAUSE I THINK THEY'D GO FOR

YOU.

COME ON.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

RIGHT NOW.

COMMIT.

RIGHT NOW.

NEWT AND MITT, WHY NOT RAY?

>> I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT JOB

BEING THE CHIEF OF STAFF OF THE

ARMY.

>> Stephen: COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF

SOUNDS GOOD THOUGH, RIGHTLE?

>> I LOVE WORKING WITH THESE

YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN, THESE GREAT

SOLDIERS WHO VOLUNTEER.

THAT'S MY PRIORITY.

WHEN I'M DONE WITH THAT, I WILL

RETIRE SOMEWHERE AND ENJOY THE

REST OF MY LIFE.

>> Stephen: I HOPE YOU'LL

RECONSIDER.

WOULD YOU STICK AROUND FOR ONE

LAST TRIBUTE TO THE TROOPS.

>> I WILL.

Loading...