Malcolm Gladwell

  • Aired:  12/11/12
  •  | Views: 15,412

Aspirational pup owner Malcolm Gladwell discusses his work on behalf of dogs, the narcissism behind dog breeding, and "The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs." (6:10)

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE AUTHOR OF BEST-SELLING BOOK "BLINK" "THE TIPPING POINT" AND

"OUTLIARS." I'LL ASK WHAT HE READS ON AN AIRPLANE.

PLEASE WELCOME MALCOLM GLADWELL.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) MALCOLM, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN, THANKS FOR COMING BACK.

OLD HOME WEEK, HAVEN'T HAD YOU ON IN A WHILE.

GOOD TO HAVE YOU ON AGAIN.

>> GOOD TO BE BACK.

>> Stephen: YOU ARE HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE A RENOWN AUTHOR ALREADY.

YOU HAVE YOUR "BLINK" "OUTLIARS" ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.

YOU HAVE A NEW BOOK THAT YOU'VE WRITTEN THE FORWARD BY AND HAVE A COUPLE STORIES IN HERE OF YOUR

OWN CALLED "THE BIG NEW YORKER BOOK OF DOGS." I'LL GET STRAIGHT TO MY PROBLEM WITH THIS.

(LAUGHTER) OKAY?

YOU KNOW I'VE GOT A PROBLEM WITH THIS, RIGHT?

>> I'M SURE YOU DO.

>> Stephen: THAT CAN'T COME AS A SURPRISE TO YOU.

THE "NEW YORKER," OKAY?

YOU THINK PIECES -- YOU WRITE THINK PIECES.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE ME THINK ABOUT MY DOG?

(LAUGHTER) I FEEL ABOUT MY DOG AND MY DOG LOVES ME BACK UNCONDITIONBLY, WHY RUIN THAT WITH THINKING

ABOUT IT?

(LAUGHTER)

>> WELL, THESE ARE EXCEPTIONS, I THINK, TO THE TYPICAL "NEW YORKER" STORY.

WHEN IT COMES TO WRITING ABOUT OUR DOGS WE LET OUR HAIR DOWN A LITTLE BIT.

>> Stephen: YOU LET YOUR HAIR UP OF COURSE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> WELL, I WASN'T INCLUDING MYSELF.

>> Stephen: WHAT WHO DOES YOUR GROOMING, BY THE WAY?

DO YOU EVER CRACK AN EGG IN THERE TO KEEP IT SILKY?

>> I DON'T.

>> Stephen: YOU SHOULD, YOU SHOULD.

IF WE ALL LET OUR HAIR DOWN WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT OUR DOGS-- YOU SAY "OUR DOGS" DO YOU HAVE A DOG?

>> I DON'T HAVE A DOG.

>> Stephen: YOU DON'T HAVE A DOG.

OKAY.

>> MY BUILDING DOESN'T ALLOW DOGS.

I'M AN ASPIRATIONAL DOG OWNER.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: REALLY.

SO IF YOU HAD THE ABILITY YOU WOULD OWN A DOG?

>> SOMEDAY I HOPE TO OWN A DOG.

I GREW UP WITH DOGS.

>> Stephen: WERE YOU RAISED BY WOLFES?

(LAUGHTER) GREW UP WITH DOGS?

>> I HAD DOGS -- MY PARENTS HAD DOGS WHEN I WAS A CHILD AND I DON'T KNOW -- THIS IS PERHAPS

WHY I WAS ASKED TO WRITE THE FORWARD BECAUSE I'VE DONE THINGS ON BEHALF OF DOGS.

>> Stephen: I KNOW THIS.

>> A BUT THE YEARS AGO I SAVED A DOG THAT WAS ON DEATH ROW IN NEW JERSEY.

AN AKITA NAMED TARO WHO HAD BEEN WRONGLY CONVICTED, AS IT TURNS OUT, OF BITING A YOUNG GIRL.

AND I DID AN ENORMOUS EXPOS´┐Ż ON THIS.

AND THE DOG WAS GRANTED A REPRIEVE.

A STAY OF EXECUTION.

AND RELOCATED TO NEW YORK STATE.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) I FEEL I'VE LEARNED MY STRIPES WHEN IT COMES TO THE ISSUE OF DOGS.

>> Stephen: SO YOU'RE SOFT ON DOG CRIME?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS IT ABOUT DOGS THAT MAKES INTELLIGENT MEN, GIFTED WOMEN, GREAT MINDS, LOOK

AT THEM AND SAY "WHO'S A GOOD BOY?" IS THIS THAT SOMETHING EVOLUTIONARY INN US THAT MAKES

US GOOD (SPEAKS GIBBERISH) (LAUGHTER) BECAUSE YOU CAN'T HELP BUT DO IT.

>> WELL, DOGS WERE EVOLVED TO PAY ATTENTION TO US.

>> Stephen: OR MADE BY GOD PERFECTLY TO PAY ATTENTION TO US.

>> THEY'RE AN EXTRAORDINARY EXAMPLE OF A SPECIES THAT WE HAVE BREAD ON THE BASIS OF THEIR

-- OF HOW MUCH ATTENTION THEY PAY TO US AND HOW CLOSELY THEY LOOK A US IN THE EYE AND HOW

ATTENTIVE THEY HANG ON OUR EVERY WORD.

IT'S THE MOST NARCISSISTIC THING WE'VE EVER DONE AS HUMAN BEINGS.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: SO IT'S THE BEST THING WE'VE EVER DONE.

AS FAR AS WE'RE CONCERNED, BECAUSE WE ARE THE ONES WHO ARE THE SUBJECT OF THE NARCISSISM.

>> YES.

I DOG PAYS MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR FACE THAN A HUMAN BEING DOES BECAUSE DOGS HAVE MUCH

BETTER EYESIGHT THAN WE DO AND THEY HAVE MUCH BETTER HEARING AND OBVIOUSLY MUCH BETTER SMELL.

>> Stephen: MY DOG GIPPER AND I ARE ALWAYS IN CONSTANT COMPETITION AS TO WHO CAN PAY

MORE ATTENTION TO ME.

(LAUGHTER) EVERYTHING HAS TO BE POLITICAL THESE DAYS.

I HAVEN'T SEEN MUCH POLITICAL IN HERE.

EVERYTHING HAS TO BE POLITICAL IN OUR LIVES TODAY, YOU KNOW THIS.

WHAT IS THE CONSERVATIVE DOG AND WHAT IS THE LIBERAL DOG?

>> WELL, THIS MAY BY ONE OF THOSE WONDERFUL EXAMPLES THAT DOESN'T HAVE --.

>> Stephen: WRONG, WRONG.

THE PRESIDENT'S DOG BO IS THE LIBERAL DOG.

IT'S A PORTUGUESE WATER DOG, OKAY?

WHY NOT AN AMERICAN WATER DOG?

CONSERVATIVE DOGS?

>> I DON'T KNOW.

I MEAN, THAT'S A --.

>> Stephen: CHECKERS.

>> THAT WAS NIXON'S DOG.

>> BUT REMEMBER CHECKERS WAS GIVEN TO NIXON BY -- THAT WAS THE WHOLE SCANDAL.

WE'RE BOTH DATING OURSELVES.

>> I WISH I COULD DATE MYSELF.

(LAUGHTER) AGAIN, I'M PAYING A LOT MORE ATTENTION TO ME THAN I DOG IS.

CATS WAR WAR WORSHIPPED BY ANCIENT EGYPTIANS.

DOES ANYBODY WORSHIP DOGS?

>> NEW YORKERS WORSHIP THEIR DOGS.

THE PARTICULAR STATUS OF THE NEW YORK CITY DOG WHO IS PAMPERED BUT ALSO THE SAME TIME WHOSE

OWNER FEELS GUILTY ABOUT HAVING THEIR DOG IN NEW YORK CITY.

RIGHT?

I MEAN, IT'S AN EXTRAORDINARILY -- THIS RELATIONSHIP DEFINED BY GUILT

>> I THINK ONE OF THE MOST EXTRAORDINARY THINGS, THE MOST UNIQUE THINGS ABOUT DOG IN NEW

YORK IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW PLACES IN THE WORLD WHERE HUMANS ALSO POOP ON THE SIDEWALK.

(LAUGHTER)

>> YES, THERE IS.

>> Stephen: THEY FIT IN.

(LAUGHTER) WELL ON THAT NOTE, MALCOLM GLADWELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING ME.

"THE "NEW YORKER" BOOK OF DOGS." BE A GOOD BOY AND GO

Loading...