Daniel Radcliffe

  • Aired:  10/01/13
  •  | Views: 73,897

"Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe talks about playing beat poet Allen Ginsberg in the biographical film "Kill Your Darlings." (6:48)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT STARS IN THEMOVIE "KILL YOUR DARLINGS" ABOUT

A YOUNG BEAT POET.

I'LL PRETEND TO UNDERSTAND HIMMORE THAN I ACTUALLY DO.

PLEASE WELCOME DANIEL RADCLIFFE!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)HEY, DANIEL!

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

SIT DOWN!

>> THANK YOU!

>> Stephen: SUPER EXCITED TOHAVE YOU ON.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU FORBEING HERE.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

I'VE BEEN A FAN FOR A WHILE.

>> Stephen: I'VE BEEN A FAN OFYOURS SINCE YOU WERE JUST -- THE

HEIGHT YOU ARE NOW, ACTUALLY.

>> EXACTLY.

I WAS GOING TO SAY.

>> Stephen: I WAS EXPECTING ASPURT AT THE END AND IT NEVER

CAME.

>> WEREN'T WE ALL.

>> Stephen: YOU STARRED IN THEEIGHT HARR ARY POTTER FILMS AND

YOU'RE LIKE MAYBE ONE OF THEMOST FAMOUS PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

RIGHT NOW.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)BUT NOW YOU HAVE -- YOU BRANCHED

OUT OF THE FILMS, YOU'VE DONE"EQUUS" YOU'VE DONE "HOW TO SUCK

SNEED BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLYTRYING."

ARE YOU AFRAID OF BEING PIGEONHOLD AS A YOUNG ATTRACTIVE

SUCCESSFUL DANCER WHO CAN ALSOSING AND DANCE?

DOES THAT WORRY YOU TO BE PIGEONHOLED AS A TRIPLE THREAT?

>> THAT KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT.

NO ONE WANTS TO BE THOUGHT OF ASTHAT.

I'M FLATTERED YOU'VE NOTICED ALLTHE OTHER THINGS.

>> Stephen: I'M NOT SAYING I'MSTALKING YOU.

(LAUGHTER)>> NO, NO.

IT WOULD BE FINE IF YOU WERE,THOUGH, I WOULDN'T -- THAT WOULD

BE OKAY.

>> Stephen: THAT'S VERYGENEROUS.

SO FEW OF MY GUESTS SAY THAT.

(LAUGHTER)>> I THOUGHT I'D OFFER YOU TO

OPPORTUNITY TO STALK ME.

IT'S WHY I CAME HERE.

I THOUGHT WE COULD TALK ABOUTTHIS.

>> Stephen: THAT WOULD BEBEAUTIFUL.

YOU REALLY STRETCHED IN THISLATEST PROJECT.

YOU'RE ACTUALLY PLAYING A --ALAN GINSBURG.

>> YES, AS UNLIKELY AS THATSOUNDS.

>> Stephen: EXACTLY.

JIM, CAN WE PUT UP A PICTURE OFALAN GINSBURG, PLEASE.

(AUDIENCE REACTS)THAT'S ALAN GINSBURG RIGHT

THERE.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: I SEE IT, ITOTALLY SEE IT.

(APPLAUSE)FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW

WHO ALAN GINSBURG IS, TELL THEFOLKS.

>> ALAN GINSBURG WAS PART OF THEBEAT GENERATION OF POETS WHICH

IS A VERY INFLUENTIAL KIND OFSCHOOL OF MOVEMENT OF AMERICAN

WRITERS IN THE 20th CENTURY.

THAT KIND OF SCHOOL OF THOUGHTWAS THAT THEY COULD -- IT WAS

QUITE A -- THEY TOOK EXCITEMENTIN THE NIHILISM OF WHAT THEY

WERE DOING AND THE IDEA OFTEARING EVERYTHING DOWN THAT HAD

GONE BEFORE AND STARTING FRESHLIKE THIS WAS YEAR ONE.

>> Stephen: THEY WEREANTI-AMERICAN, REALLY.

THEY WERE ANTI-AMERICAN.

NO, THEY WERE!

BECAUSE THEY WERE QUESTIONINGTHE MORAL AND SOCIAL ORDER WITH

THEIR WORK.

>> BUT THAT'S GREAT, ISN'T IT?

ISN'T IT GOOD TO QUESTIONTHINGS.

>> Stephen: NO, IT WASN'T!

BECAUSE IT WAS THE 1950s.

EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT.

EISENHOWER, EVERYONE WASSTRAIGHT, WHITE, AND MALE.

(LAUGHTER)AND THESE GUYS WERE QUESTIONING

IT AND QUESTIONING THE BOMB!

AND QUESTIONING AMERICA'S PLACEIN THE WORLD AND WHAT WE MEANT

BY OUR SOCIETY.

>> Stephen: .

>> WELL, THIS FILM ALSO BRICKSINTO YOUR YOUR ASSERTION THAT

EVERYONE.

IN THIS ERA WAS STRAIGHT.

>> Stephen: THEY WERE.

THEY WERE.

THEY WERE.

THEY WERE.

YEAH.

I THINK THE BEAT POETS INVENTEDBEING GAY.

(LAUGHTER)>> UM -- I -- THEY CERTAINLY

ENJOYED IT BUT --(LAUGHTER).

I DON'T -- I CERTAINLY DON'T --THEY CAN CLAIM TO HAVE INVENTED

IT.

I'M AFRAID TO BREAK IT TO YOU.

THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FORYEARS.

(LAUGHTER)>> Stephen: REALLY?

>> YES!

>> Stephen: SO, LIKE, THEDEPRESSION?

THERE WERE -->> THROUGH ALL THAT.

I IMAGINE THAT'S HOW A LOT OFPEOPLE -- I IMAGINE IT PISS ADD

LOT OF PEOPLE OFF.

>> Stephen: KEEP A STIFF UPPERLIP, AS THEY SAY.

(LAUGHTER)LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING.

I NOTICED THAT A LOT OF ACTORSARE ENGLISH PEOPLE.

(LAUGHTER)NOW, ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE

ACTORS, HOWEVER YOU WANT TO CUTTHAT.

>> IT'S TRUE.

STPHAOU WHY IS IT?

IS IT AN ATTEMPT TO GET OVER THESPEECH IMPEDIMENT.

(LAUGHTER)BECAUSE YOU DO AN AMERICAN

ACCENT WITH THIS GUY, RIGHT?

>> YEAH.

YEAH.

NO, I CAN -- I'VE LEARNED TOSPEAK PROPERLY OVER HERE.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE!

WE HAVE A CLIP OF YOU TALKING --TALKING RIGHT.

(LAUGHTER)>> HOW'S YOUR YATES?

HAVE YOU READ "A VISION"?

>> NEVER HEARD OF IT.

>> OH, IT'S COMPLETELYBRILLIANT.

AND IMPOSSIBLE.

IF YOU SAID THAT LIFE IS ROUND,THEY WERE STUCK ON THIS WHEEL OF

LIVING AND DYING AND ENDLESSCIRCLE UNTIL SOMEONE BREAKS IT.

YOU WALKED IN HERE, YOU RUPTUREIT HAD PATTERN.

BANG!

THE WHOLE WORLD GETS WIDER.

HOW DID YOU -- A REITERATION OFTHEMES.

>> ARE YOU A WRITER?

6->> Stephen: WOW.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> THAT WAS ALSO MY AMERICAN

HAIR, YOU NOTICE IN THAT CLIP ASWELL.

>> Stephen: IT WAS, YEAH.

(LAUGHTER)WHAT'S YOUR HOPE FOR AN AMERICAN

ACCENT?

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO GET YOUSTARTED?

>> YOU KNOW WHAT?

I DIDN'T -- I THINK BECAUSE ISPENT A LOT OF TIME AROUND

AMERICANS GROWING UP ON THE"HARRY POTTER" SET MY KIND OF

GENERIC AMERICAN ACCENT IS BASEDON CHRIS COLUMBUS WHO DIRECTED

THE FIRST TWO FILMS.

AND ALSO AS A KID IN ENGLAND YOUARE KIND OF SUFFICIENT FUSED

WITH AMERICAN CULTURE.

LIKE IF I WAS PLAYING WITHSOLDIERS AS A KID OR ACTION

PEOPLE I WOULD GIVE THEMAMERICAN ACCENTS.

>> Stephen: REALLY.

(LAUGHS)REALLY?

BECAUSE OUR ARMY KNOWS HOW TOKICK ASS?

>> WELL, TO BE HONEST, THERE ISA --

>> Stephen: (AS A TYPICALAMERICAN)

WE'VE GONE INTO IRAQ, IT'S AHUGE MISTAKE!

>> IS THAT YOU DOING AN ENGLISHPERSON DOING AN AMERICAN?

>> Stephen: THAT'S MYIMPRESSION OF AN ENGLISH PERSON

DOING AN AMERICAN ACCENT.

I DON'T WANT TO GET INTO THE"HARRY POTTER" THING TOO MUCH

HERE.

>> THAT'S FINE.

DON'T WORRY.

>> Stephen: LEGALLY I HAVE TO-- AT ONE POINT I HAVE TO SAY

"YOU'RE A WIZARD, HARRY."

(LAUGHTER)THAT'S IT.

I'M DONE.

I'M DONE NOW.

I'M DONE NOW.

BECAUSE I'VE HAD -- I HAD ELIJAHWOOD SITTING IN THAT EXACT SAME

SEAT.

>> BLOCKING YOUR VIEW THE EXACTSAME WAY.

>> Stephen: THE EXACT SAMEHEIGHT.

WE HAVE A MARK ON THE WALL.

(LAUGHTER)AND DO YOU THINK YOU COULD TAKE

ANYMORE A FIGHT?

(LAUGHTER)DO YOU THINK YOU COULD TAKE

ELIJAH WOOD IN A FIGHT?

>> I'M NOT CALLING HIM OUT ORANYTHING.

SO I DON'T -- YOU KNOW WHAT,YES!

YES, I CAN!

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)>> Stephen: ARE YOU GOING TO

TAKE THAT, ELIJAH?

DANIEL RADCLIFFE, THANK YOU SOMUCH FOR JOINING ME.

>> THANK YOU!

>> Stephen: DANIEL RADCLIFFE,EVERYBODY.

"KILL YOUR DARLINGS."

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND

Loading...