Elvis Costello

  • Aired:  11/04/10
  •  | Views: 28,559

Elvis Costello is ready for the Colbert Bump because his albums don't sell like hotcakes. (4:17)

MY GUEST TONIGHT HAS A NEW ALBUM

CALLED "NATIONAL RANSOM," WHOSE

LYRICS I ASSUME HE WROTE WITH

LETTERS CUT OUT FROM MAGAZINES.

PLEASE WELCOME ELVIS COSTELLO.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

HEY, GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN,

ELVIS.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> I'M REALLY WELL.

THANKS.

>> NICE TO SEE YOU.

HOW ARE YOU?

>> I'M DOING BETTER THAN LAST

TIME I WAS HERE.

>> Stephen: YOU COULD BARELY

TALK LAST TIME YOU WERE HERE.

I HAD TO DO ALL THE TALKING,

WHICH WAS RARE.

>> AND THE SINGING.

>> Stephen: YOU HAVE A NEW

ALBUM.

"NATIONAL RANSOM."

BY NATIONAL, WHAT NATION ARE YOU

TALKING ABOUT?

YOU TALKING ABOUT AMERICA?

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT AMERICA?

>>LITTLE BIT?

OKAY.

>> I THINK I'LL GO BACK TO BEING

MUTE.

>> Stephen: YOU SHOULD BECAUSE

YOU DON'T HAVE AN AMERICAN

ACCENT.

I'M NOT SURE I LIKE A GUY WITH A

FOREIGN ACCENT TALKING ABOUT MY

COUNTRY.

WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?

WHAT RANSOM ARE YOU TALKING

ABOUT?

>> THE ONE WE'RE HOLDING

OURSELVES TO.

>> Stephen: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

WE JUST TOOK OUR COUNTRY BACK.

THERE WAS HOSTAGE SITUATION

GOING ON AND WE STORMED THE

BRUCE.

>> IT WAS PRESCIENT OF ME TO

CALL IT "NATIONAL RANSOM"

KNOWING...

>> SO THIS IS A TEA PARTY ALBUM?

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE A BRIT.

A TEA PARTY IS NATURAL FOR YOU.

>> IT'S SECOND NATURE

>> Stephen: LET'S LOOK AT THE

COVER.

ELVIS COSTELLO.

YOU HAVE A RICH WOLF RUNNING

AWAY FROM A BURNING PYRAMID AND

SOME FLAMES AND OIL SPEWING OUT.

I'M GOING TO GO OUT ON A LIMB

AND SAY THIS IS NOT THE MOST

CAPITALIST ALBUM IN THE WORLD.

ARE YOU CRITICIZING THE CAPITAL

SYSTEM?

>> LETS R PUT IT THIS WAY: IF

YOU HAD IN MEDIEVAL TIMES

PROPOSED A SYSTEM OF CURRENCY

BASED ON A NEGATIVE VALUE, THEY

WOULD HAVE BURNED YOU AS A

WITCH.

>> Stephen: A SYSTEM OF

CURRENCY... I BELIEVE YOU'RE

COVERING YOUR MIC.

A SYSTEM OF CURRENCY.

I'M IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS.

( LAUGHTER )

THAT'S OKAY.

I DON'T REALLY CARE WHAT YOU

SAID FOR THE LAST THREE MINCING.

THIS IS WHERE THE MONEY IS.

NOW, WHAT DO YOU MEAN A SYSTEM

OF CURRENCY BASED ON A NEGATIVE

VALUE?

>> YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING.

>> Stephen: I DON'T.

I DON'T.

>> LET ME BREAK IT DOWN FOR YOU.

IF PEOPLE TRADE IN SOMETHING

REAL LIKE GOLD, WE CAN SAY

FEATHERS ARE THE RARE THING AND

FEATHERS BECOME CENTRAL USABLE

AND THEN THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY

BIRDS.

>> Stephen: TULIPS.

>> WE COULD TRADE IN TULIPS.

IN FACT, PEOPLE DID, POPPIES AND

IN OPIUM AND...

>> Stephen: THEY STILL DO.

>> THEY STILL DO, YES.

AND THEN YOU GO INTO THE REALM

OF ALCHEMY AND YOU SAY,

SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST AT

ALL HAS COMPLETELY NEGATIVE

VALUE.

>> Stephen: LIKE THE DOLLAR,

THE ALMIGHTY GREENBACK.

I GOT A LOT OF THOSE.

ARE YOU SAYING THEY'RE NOT WORTH

ANYTHING?

>> THE ORIGINAL PICTURE WE HAD

WAS A WOLF PUSHING A BIG WHEEL

BARREL FULL OF MONEY LIKE THEY

USED TO HAVE IN GERMANY.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU POLITICAL

GUY?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: THIS SEEMS LIKE A

POLITICAL THING.

YOU RECENTLY CANCELED AN

APPEARANCE IN ISRAEL AND TOOK

YOUR NAME OFF OF IT.

ARE YOU ONE OF THESE FOLK

SINGERS WHO PROTESTS THINGS?

>> I PROTEST THINGS, YES.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

IF THEY'RE SO TIRED OF

PROTESTING THAT THEY HARDLY

MENTION IT.

YOU WROTE YOURSELF IN TOKYO

STORM WARNLING.

SO ARE YOU JUST MARGINALIZING

YOURSELF BY BEING A PROTEST

SINGER?

>> I HAVE BEEN ACTUALLY TRYING

TO DRIVE THE RECORD BUSINESS OUT

OF BUSINESS.

>> Stephen: YOU'VE SUCCEEDED.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: IN GENERAL.

>> THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE...

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHY YOU'RE

HERE.

ARE YOU READY FOR THE COLBERT

BUMP?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: WELL, LET'S DO A

SONG.

HOW ABOUT THAT?

HOW ABOUT YOU DO A SONG, HOW

ABOUT THAT?

AND THEN MAYBE LET'S DO A SONG.

>> YOU AND ME?

>> WHY NOT?

Loading...