Taylor Branch

  • Aired:  10/26/11
  •  | Views: 13,232

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Taylor Branch describes the NCAA as a cartel that hoards the billions of dollars generated by unpaid college athletes. (6:34)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT SAYS THE NCAA SHOULD SHARE PROFITS WITH COLLEGE ATHLETE.

HE IS WRONG.

PLEASE WELCOME TAYLOR BRANCH.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING ME, SIR.

OKAY.

SIR, LET'S GET THIS OUT HERE.

YOU ARE THE PULITZER PRIZE WINNING HISTORIAN AND AUTHORMENT SOME OF THE GREAT BOOKS ON THE

CIVIL RIGHTS ERA.

NOW YOU HAVE A NEW BOOK.

IT IS AVAILABLE AS AN E BOOK.

I GOT IT RIGHT HERE IN MY I.BOOK LIBRARY.

OKAY.

IT IS CALLED THE CARTEL.

ALL RIGHT.

WHAT IS "THE CARTEL."

>> THE CARTEL IS THE NCAA, WHICH WITHOUT BENEFIT OF GOVERNMENT SANCTION OR LAW HAS GOTTEN

TOGETHER ALL THE COLLEGES, THE 1,000 COLLEGE AND UNIVERSITIES IN AN AGREEMENT TO KEEP ALL THE

MONEY AWAY FROM THE COLLEGE ATHLETES WHO ACTUALLY DO THE WORK.

>> Stephen: BUT THEY ARE AMATEURS, AND AMATEURS, AS WE KNOW, DON'T GET PAID.

OKAY.

THEY JUST... THE COLLEGE ATHLETES SHOULD JUST THINK OF,

YOU KNOW, PLAYING FOOTBALL AS AN INTERNSHIP WITH CONCUSSIONS.

OKAY?

>> I THINK A LOT OF THEM DO THINK OF IT THAT WAY, AND, OF COURSE, IT'S NOT RIGHT.

IT IS LIKE A PLANTATION.

THEY'RE NOT...

>> Stephen: WAIT, WAIT, WAIT,

WAIT, WAIT.

A PLANTATION?

>> NOT A SOUTH CAROLINA PLANTATION, A NATIONWIDE PLANTATION.

>> Stephen: WELL, EVEN WORSE.

I MEAN... SO YOU SAY THEY'RE BEING TREAT LIKE SLAVES?

>> THEY GENERATE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN INCOME, BUT THEY ARE DEPRIVED OF ANY PARTICIPATION IN

IT SO THAT THE DULL, THE COACH,

THE FOOTBALL SCHOOLS, THE ADMINISTRATORS AND THE COMPANIES CAN TAKE ALL THE MONEY.

>> Stephen: BUT YOU REALIZE THAT PLANTATIONS HAD SLAVES.

ARE YOU SAYING THEY'RE BEING TREATED AS SLAVES?

>> I'M SAYING THAT WE DON'T DEAL WITH...

>> COME ON, GROW A PAIR.

ARE THEY BEING TREATED AS SLAVES?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

SIR, DO YOU REALIZE THAT PETA SAYS THAT WHALES ARE BEING TREATED AS SLAVES.

ALL RIGHT.

ARE YOU CALLING THESE ATHLETES ANIMALS?

BECAUSE THAT IS RACIST OF YOU,

SIR.

[CHEERING AND APPLAUSE]

>> WHALES CAN'T RETURN A KICKOFF OR CATCH PASS.

>> OH, OH, THEY CAN TRAIN THOSE WHALES TO DO JUST ABOUT ANYTHING.

I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T WANT TO BE SACKED BY SHAM KNEW.

>> I CAN SEE THAT.

>> Stephen: SO WHY SHOULD THE PLAYERS GET ANY MONEY BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING SOMETHING OF VALUE.

FOR PLAYING THEY ARE GETTING A TUITION.

AND LAST TIME I CHECKED, THAT'S A WHOLE LOT OF GREEN IT TAKES TO GO TO COLLEGE.

>> IT'S SOMETHING, BUT THAT'S LIKE SAYING TO YOU THAT YOU

SHOULDN'T BE PAID BECAUSE YOU HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE.

YOU DON'T DESERVE A SALARY.

THESE ATHLETES GENERATE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS, NOT JUST MILLION,

BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF INCOME THAT THESE SCHOOLS THEN TAKE AND SCRAMBLE AND FIGHT OVER AND ALL

THE ADULTS THINK THAT THEY EARNED IT AS THOUGH THEY DID THE WORK THEMSELVES.

>> Stephen: BUT THEY DID DO THE WORK.

THEY CREATED THE OPPORTUNITY.

THEY'RE JOB CREATORS.

THEY JUST HAPPEN TO BE JOBS THAT DON'T PAY ANYTHING.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

[LAUGHTER]

YOU CAN CREATE MORE JOBS WHEN THEY DON'T PAY ANYTHING BECAUSE THEY DON'T COST YOU.

IT'S AN AMAZING, INGENIOUS BUSINESS PLAN.

>> Stephen: SO WHAT'S THE ANSWER?

>> THE ANSWER IS TO BRING THEM TO THE TABLE TO, LET THEM BARGAIN.

>> Stephen: COLLEGE KIDS?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: LET THEM COLLECTIVELY BARGAIN.

>> NOT COLLECTIVELY, ON THEIR OWN.

THEY'RE THE SAME AGE AS THE KIDS FIGHTING IN IRAQ AND AFGHANISTAN.

THEY'RE ADULTS.

THEY DESERVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS ANY OTHER WORKER IN THE UNITED STATES.

>> Stephen: THEN THEY'LL TAKE ALL THE MONEY, AND THEN THE

UNIVERSITIES WON'T HAVE MONEY TO CREATE JOLSHIPS FOR MUSIC MAJORS.

OKAY.

BECAUSE RIGHT NOW ONCE AGAIN THE JOCKS ARE DOING IT FOR THE NERDS.

THEY'RE BRINGING IN ALL THE CASH SO THE NERDS CAN GET A DATE.

>> ACTUALLY THE WAY IT WORKS IS NONE OF THE MONEY GOES INTO THE ACADEMICS.

THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENTS USE UP ALL OF THEIR MONEY.

IT IS TRUE THAT...

>> Stephen: REALLY?

WHAT ARE THEY USING IT FOR?

THEY DON'T HAVE TO PLAY THE PLAYERS.

>> THEY'RE USING IT FOR VOLLEYBALL.

>> FIRST OF ALL, ASSISTANT COACHES ARE NOW MAKING MORE THAN $1 MILLION A YEAR.

I'VE HAD UNIVERSITY PRESIDENTS...

>> Stephen: WHAT?

>> ASSISTANT COACHES MAKE MORE THAN A MILLION A YEAR.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY HIGH-PRICED TALENT, YOU HAVE A LOT OF MONEY TO SPREAD AROUND TO

EVERYONE ELSE.

>> PRESIDENT OBAMA THINKS COLLEGE FOOTBALL SHOULD HAVE PLAYOFFS INSTEAD OF A BOWL SERIES.

DO YOU AGREE WITH THAT?

DO YOU THINK COLLEGE FOOTBALL SHOULD HAVE PLAYOFFS?

>> I DO, BUT THE NCAA IS TERRIFIED BECAUSE IF THERE A PLAYOFF, THE NCAA WON'T... THE

ADULTS IN FOOTBALL KICKED THE NCAA OUT.

THEY DON'T GET ANY MONEY.

THEY GET ALL OF THEIR MONEY FROM THE MARCH MADNESS TOURNAMENT,

$700 MILLION FOR ONE MONTH'S WORK FOR THE MARCH MADNESS BASKETBALL.

THE FOOTBALL SCHOOLS, IF THEY RUN A NATIONAL PROGRAM, THEY'LL GET AN EXTRA $1 BILLION AND SAY,

WE CAN RUN THE TOURNAMENT WITHOUT THE NCAA.

WE CAN RUN BASKETBALL, TOO, AND THE NCAA WILL SHRIVEL UP.

>> IF THEY RUN MARCH MADNESS FOR FOOTBALL, WHY WOULDN'T THEY RUN

DECEMBER DEMENTIA, WHATEVER...

>> THEY WOULD RUN EVERYTHING AND THE NCAA WOULD HAVE NO INCOME.

THEY GET $700 MILLION FROM THE NETWORKS' RIGHTS TO THE NCAA.

THEY GIVE SUBSIDIES TO 1,000 SCHOOLS, ALL OF THAT BECAUSE THEY DON'T GIVE ANY MONEY TO THE

TEN BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAT WALK OUT ON THE COURT.

ONE YEAR THEY ALMOST DIDN'T WALK OUT THERE TO PROTEST THE FACT THAT ALL OF THIS NATIONAL

OBSESSION, ALL OF THIS MUST MUST BE FOR THE ADULTS AND THE UNIVERSITIES DEPENDS ON THE

VOLUNTEER LABOR OF TEN ATHLETES THAT WALK OUT THERE.

IT'S NOT FAIR.

>> Stephen: WELL, IF YOU WANT TO INVESTIGATE A REAL SCANDAL IN

COLLEGE SPORTS, COULD YOU PLEASE FIND OUT WHY THE BIG 10 HAS 12 SCHOOLS AND THE BIG 12 HAS TEN SCHOOLS.

>> AND SHRINKING... THEY'RE LIKE MUSICAL CHAIRS BECAUSE THEY'RE

PURSUING THE BIGGEST TV CONTRACT SO THAT ONE DAY THEY CAN HAVE A NATIONAL PLAYOFF BUT WITHOUT ANY

NATIONAL SPORTS SYSTEM OR ANYTHING WITH GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITY BECAUSE IT IS CARTEL.

THEY WANT TO KEEP THE MONEY ALL TO THEMSELVES.

>> Stephen: THANK YOU SO MUCH.

THANK YOU.