California's Proposition 14 - Abel Maldonado

  • Aired:  04/29/10
  •  | Views: 31,439

Charlie Crist drops out of Florida's Republican primary, and Abel Maldonado promotes California's Proposition 14. (6:05)

DON'T FORGET YOUR SUIT.

[LAUGHTER]

SPEAKING OF OILY DISASTERS,

FLORIDA GOVERNOR CHARLIE CRIST...

[LAUGHTER]

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

THIS MODERATE REPUBLICAN HAS FALLEN WAY BEHIND TEA PARTY DARLING MARCO RUBIO.

HELLO, DARLING.

[LAUGHTER]

LAST YEAR CRIST HAD A 37-POINT LEAD IN THE POLLS THANKS TO THE

KIND OF DEEP TAN THAT SAYS, "YOU WANT SMALLER GOVERNMENT?

I DON'T [BLEEP] WORK AT ALL." BUT RUBIO HAS ZOOMED AHEAD PARTLY BECAUSE OF AN INCUMBENT

MOOD BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE CRIST SPOONED WITH OBAMA.

NOW TRAILING AND SCORCHING WITH A CASE OF OBAMA CUTIE, TODAY CRIST ANNOUNCED HE WAS DROPPING

OUT OF THE REPUBLICAN PRIMARY.

JIM?

>> FLORIDA GOVERNOR CHARLIE CRIST MADE OFFICIAL THAT HE WILL CONTINUE HIS RUN FOR THE SENATE

AS AN INDEPENDENT.

>> Stephen: WHAT?

THAT TRAITOR.

NOW I KNOW HOW DEMOCRATS MUST FEEL ABOUT JOE LIEBERMAN.

WAIT.

WHAT AM I SAYING?

WHAT AM I SAYING?

WHO COULD STAY MAD AT THAT FACE.

[LAUGHTER]

FACE, RIGHT?

[LAUGHTER]

IT IS STUFF LIKE THIS THAT MAKES ME WANT TO CHOP UP MODERATES WITH HATCHET.

LIKE THE MODERATES IN CALIFORNIA WHO ARE PUSHING A BALLOT MEASURE CALLED PROPOSITION 14 WHICH

WOULD ALLOW ANYONE TO VOTE FOR ANYONE IN PRIMARY ELECTIONS REGARDLESS OF PARTY AND ADVANCE

THE TOP TWO VOTE GETTERS TO THE GENERAL RACE IN NOVEMBER.

BASICALLY AN ELECTORAL TEA PARTY WHERE YOU CAN JUST VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE OF YOUR CHOICE.

FOLKS, THIS WILL DESTROY THE PARTY PRIMARY WHERE CANDIDATES ARE FORCED TO APPEAL TO THE

EXTREME LEFT OR THE EXTREME RIGHT OF THEIR BASE.

PROP 14 WILL FILL CONGRESS WITH NOTHING BUT MODERATES, AND, I MEAN, AT OBAMA'S NEXT STATE OF

THE UNION ADDRESS, DO WE REALLY WANT JOE WILSON SHOUTING, "I DISAGREE, BUT THAT IS A VALID

POINT."

[APPLAUSE]

PROP 14... PROP 14 WOULD PROPOSE BY THE STATE'S NEW LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR ABEL MALDONADO.

I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE HELL THIS GUY WAS THINKING.

HERE TO TELL ME WHAT THE HELL HE'S THINKING, PLEASE WELCOME CALIFORNIA'S NEW LIEUTENANT

GOVERNOR, ABEL MALDONADO.

LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING HERE.

>> THANK YOU.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: SIR, NOW, SIR, WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO DESTROY THE TWO-PARTY SYSTEM?

BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THIS IS GOING TO DO.

YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE THE PARTY POWER AWAY.

>> I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE.

I WANT TO HELP MY STATE.

I'M SLEEPING UNDER MY DESK AT 3:00 A.M. BECAUSE WE CAN'T COME TOGETHER.

>> Stephen: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

>> WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

[LAUGHTER]

>> Stephen: YOU'RE THE ONE SLEEPING UNDER YOUR DESK.

>> $62 BILLION DEFICIT.

WHAT DO WE DO?

WE PASS A BILL THAT SAYS NO CUSSING FOR A WEEK IN CALIFORNIA.

>> Stephen: WHAT THE [BLEEP]

IS THAT ABOUT?

[LAUGHTER AND APPLAUSE]

WHY WOULD YOU WANT MODERATES,

OKAY?

>> I DON'T WANT MODERATES.

I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: YOU DON'T WANT MODERATES?

>> I WANT TO HELP PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE ADMITTING THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT MODERATES.

PEOPLE LOVE EXTREMES.

YOU GET PEOPLE RILED UP WITH EXTREMES.

YOU CAN'T HAVE RALLY OF MODERATES.

WE WANT THINGS EXTREMELY LIKE OTHER PEOPLE WANT THEM.

[LAUGHTER]

>> WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TOP TWO, THE BEST TWO?

YOU KNOW ABOUT THE OLYMPICS.

THE BEST GET TO GO TO THE OLYMPICS.

>> Stephen: EXACTLY.

>> AND THE TOP TWO GET TO GO INTO THE FINALS.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE JUST TALKING ABOUT AWARDING THE GOLD AND SILVER.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BRONZE?

YOU'RE SAYING BRONZE MEDALISTS DON'T COUNT.

YOUR WORDS, SIR.

>> PEOPLE COUNT, STEVE.

THIS IS ABOUT HELPING CALIFORNIA, FIXING AND REFORMING THE STATE OF OURS.

WE HAVE POLITICAL SYSTEM AT THIS POINT IN TIME, STEVE, IT'S JUST BROKEN.

THERE'S JUST DYSFUNCTION.

>> Stephen: BUT YOU'RE SAYING IT'S DYSFUNCTIONAL BECAUSE THERE ARE PARTY PRIMARIES?

>> IT'S DYSFUNCTIONAL BECAUSE PARTY BOSSES ON BOTH SIDES WANT TO MANIPULATE EVERYTHING.

WE HAVE TO END THAT.

WE NEED PEOPLE IN OFFICE WHO THINK ABOUT PEOPLE, THE FUTURE OF CALIFORNIA, THE FUTURE OF AMERICA.

[APPLAUSE]

>> Stephen: FIRST OF ALL, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO RUN FOR OFFICE IN CALIFORNIA BECAUSE AT

THIS POINT YOUR DEBT CRISIS IS SO GREAT, AREN'T THEY PAYING YOU PEOPLE IN AVOCADOS?

[LAUGHTER]

>> YOU'RE RIGHT, WE HAVE I.O.U.s, IT'S KIND OF SAD.

THINK ABOUT THIS, STEPHEN, YOU SEND YOUR TAX RETURN.

YOU EXPECT THEM TO COME BACK.

WHAT DO THE POLITICIANS DO IN CALIFORNIA, WE SEND YOU AN I.O.U.

THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN.

>> Stephen: HOW DOES THIS FIX IT?

>> PROPOSITION 14 WILL ALLOW PEOPLE TO GO TO THE BALLOT AND VOTE FOR EVERYBODY ON ONE BALLOT

AND THEY GET TO CHOOSE THE BEST PERSON REGARDLESS OF PARTY.

PEOPLE WILL GO THERE AND DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE PEOPLE.

>> Stephen: SO YOU CAN JUST GET ON THE BALLOT?

>> YOU CAN PUT WHATEVER YOU WANT NEXT TO YOUR NAME, REPUBLICAN,

DEMOCRAT, PILOT, FARMER.

THE TOP TWO GO TO THE GENERAL ELECTION.

IN THE GENERAL ELECTION, YOU HAVE THE CHOICE OF CHOOSING ONE OF THE BEST TWO CANDIDATES.

WHAT A WONDERFUL THING.

>> Stephen: IS THERE ANYTHING IN THIS BILL THAT KEEPS PEOPLE FROM SPENDING UNLIMITED AMOUNTS

OF MONEY ON ADVERTISING TO WIN?

>> WELL, IF YOU'RE...

>> Stephen: IS THERE ANYTHING IN THIS BILL THAT STOPS PEOPLE FROM SPENDING MONEY ON

ADVERTISING TO WIN?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: THEN I'M ALL FOR IT.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

IT WILL BE THE TWO RICHEST GUYS.

LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA ABEL MALDONADO.

JUNE 8th.

JUNE 8th.

PROPOSITION 14.

WE'LL BE||||