Francis Collins

  • Aired:  05/10/12
  •  | Views: 14,348

Dr. Francis Collins talks about America's weight problem, evolution and the holistic way to confront obesity. (6:28)

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY, MY GUEST TONIGHT IS IN A NEW HBO DOCUMENTARY ON PIECITY.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS REAL SEX.

PLEASE WELCOME DR. FRANCIS COLLINS.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE) THANK YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING ON.

YOU GOT SOME GROUPIES HERE TONIGHT.

THAT'S NICE.

>> IT'S A RELIEF TO ME, YES.

>> Stephen: NOW SIR, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING BACK.

YOU ARE THE DIRECTOR OF THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.

ARE YOU ALSO, YOU LEAD THE HUMAN-GENOME PROJECT.

>> ALL TREE.

>> Jon: .

>> Stephen: AND NOW ARE YOU PART OF A FOUR PART HBO DOCUMENTSARY ON PIECITY

CALLED THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION WHICH STARTS AIRING ON MAY 14TH, OKAY.

>> ALL TRUE.

>> Stephen: SO WE'RE FAT,

OKAY.

LIKE MOST AMERICANS, I'LL BITE.

WHY ARE WE FAT AND WHAT DOES IT MATTER.

>> WELL, YES, AS WOULD YOU SAY, NATION, WE HAVE A WEIGHT PROBLEM.

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ABOUT THE FACT THAT TWO-THIRDS OF ADULTS AND ONE-THIRD OF CHILDREN ARE

OBESE OR OVERWEIGHT.

>> Stephen: BUY BIGGER PANTS.

(LAUGHTER)

>> THAT'S HAPPENING BY THE WAY.

>> Stephen: YES.

BUT YOU KNOW LET'S TALK ABOUT THE KIDS.

THE KIDS WHO ARE OBESE NOW O,

AND HAVE ABOUT A 75% CHANCE OF BEING OBESE ADULTS NUMBERS WE DO SOMETHING

ABOUT IT THIS GENERATION OF KIDS MAY BE THE FIRST ONE IN 100 YEARS THAT DOESN'T LIVE

AS LONG AS THEIR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS.

>> Stephen: WELL, THAT'S A TRAGIC SITUATION.

BUT COULD IT NOT ALSO HAVE THE SILVER LINING OF FIXING OUR SOCIAL SECURITY PROBLEM?

(LAUGHTER) OKAY, YOU GOT TO BALANCE OUT-- YOU GOT TO BALANCE OUT THE NATIONAL INTEREST HERE,

OKAY.

WHAT IS YOUR PRESCRIPTION HERE?

BECAUSE ARE YOU THE NATIONAL-- THAT IS GOVERNMENT, BIG GOVERNMENT,

ARE YOU GOING TO TRY TO KEEP ME FROM EATING SWEETS.

YOU ARE GOING TO GO OUT THERE AND SHOT BLOCK A DOUGHNUT OUT OF MY MOUTH,

RIGHT?

>> NOT EXACTLY.

I WILL TELL YOU ABOUT MYSELF.

THREE YEARS AGO I WAS 30 POUNDS HEAVIER THAN MI RIGHT NOW.

>> Stephen: YOU WERE SUPERFAT, I DIDN'T WANT TO SAY IT.

YOU WERE D YOU WERE SUPERFAT,

YEAH, YEAH.

>> AND YOU KNOW, I STARTED TO REALIZE I WAS AT RISK FOR DIABETES AND I DID NOT WANT

TO GET THAT DISEASE SO WITH A CHANGE IN DIET W SOME EXERCISE, CAN I SHOW YOU WHAT I LOST.

>> Stephen: SURE.

>> I BROUGHT A LITTLE PROP ALONG.

>> Stephen: WHAT IS THAT.

>> THIS IS CALLED FAT.

ISN'T THAT LOVELY.

>> Stephen: HOW MUCH IS THAT.

>> THIS IS JUST FIVE POUNDS FAT.

I LOST SIX OF THOSE.

>> Stephen: YOU LOST 30 POUNDS.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS.

I WOULD TAKE LIKE ABOUT TWO INCHES OF THAT, PUT THAT IN A PAN AND MELT IT DOWN AND,

LIKE SOFTEN UP A DUCK BREAST IN THAT.

INCREDIBLE.

THAT'S INCREDIBLE SOUCHLT LOST SIX OF THESE, YOU LOSE FIVE POUNDS THIS IS WHERE

YOU ARE LOSING IT.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS-- GOD THAT IS MOTIVATING.

I DON'T WANT THAT IN MY BODY.

>> OKAY.

>> Stephen: ARE WE FATTER THAN OTHER COUNTRIES.

>> WE ARE, ACTUALLY, YES,

BUT OTHERS ARE CATCHING UP WITH US.

>> Stephen: HOW DO WE STAY AHEAD BECAUSE I WANT US TO WIN.

I WANT-- I EVEN WANT TO US WIN THE DISASTERS, SIR.

>> YOU KNOW, TO WIN WE HAVE TO LOSE, THAT'S THE PROBLEM HERE.

SO WHY ARE WE UNDER ALL THIS PRESSURE FROM OUR BIOLOGY.

YOU KNOW WHAT, BECAUSE WE ARE CREATURES WITH GENES THAT WERE DESIGNED TO TRY TO

HELP US SURVIVE THROUGH MUCH OF OUR HISTORY WHERE CALORIES WERE PRETTY HARD TO COME BY.

AND IF YOU COULDN'T FIND THEM AND ABSORB THEM AND HANG ON TO THEM, YOU WERE DONE.

AND THE NEXT FAMILIAREVEN IS GOING TO PUTS UNDER.

SO WE HAVE BEEN TURN MOOD THIS WONDERFUL MACHINE FORCE FINDING CALORIES AND USE

THEM TO PUT WEIGHT ON.

>> Stephen: FAT IS JUST A WAY FOR US TO STORE ENERGY THAT WE NEEDED ANOTHER TIME.

>> EXACTLY.

>> Stephen: SO OUR FANNIES ARE THEMSELVES KIND OF LIKE A FANNIE PACK.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

>> SOME OF THEM KIND OF BIG AT THIS POINT.

>> Stephen: YEAH, OG LIKE A COUPLE PIECES OF SAMSONITE LUGGAGE BACK THERE.

>> RIGHTZ.

SO MAYBE WHEN YOU WERE WANDERING AROUND IN THE SAVANNAH IT WAS A GOOD THINGMENT BUT NOW WHEN ARE

YOU WANDERING AROUND BETWEEN A LOT OF FAST FOOD STORES AND TO THE DOING MUCH

WANDERING BECAUSE ARE YOU SITTING IN FRONT OF THE TV ON THE COUCH.

>> Stephen: WATCHING A FOUR PART HBO SERIES-- (APPLAUSE)

>> YOU KNOW, I HOPE A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL GO TO THE GYM AND WATCH IT ON THEIR TREADMILLS.

AND I BET IF THEY ARE EATING CHIPS THEY GOING TO PUT THE BAG DOWN ABOUT 20 MINUTES

INTO THIS IS AING I DON'T WANT TO EAT THIS.

>> Stephen: NOT ALLOTS OF DORITO SPONSORSHIPS.

SO NOW WE DON'T HAVE THE EVOLUTIONARY PRESSURE BUT WE STILL HAVE THE EVOLUTIONARY

ABILITY TO STORE ALL THIS FAT.

>> WE DO.

WE'RE AMAZING.

>> Stephen: WON EVOLUTION THEN JUST WHIP THOSE PEOPLE OUT OF THE GENE POOL BECAUSE

IF YOU GET SICK FROM STORING FAT, WON'T WE VOLUME OF INTO HUMAN BEINGS THAT DON'T FOR

AS MUCH FAT.

>> YOU KNOW, THE PROBLEM IS THIS ISN'T ABOUT SOME OF US.

IT'S ABOUT ALL OF US.

WE'RE ALL SIX MONTHS AWAY FROM A POTBELLY.

IF YOU WERE TO GIVE UP YOUR VERY CAREFUL REGIMEN.

>> Stephen: HEY, HEY, WELL,

YOU'RE OLD.

NEVER BEEN SO INSULTED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: SO IF THERE WAS ONE THING YOU WOULD TELL PEOPLE TO CHANGE ABOUT THE

WAY AMERICANS EAT, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

>> YOU KNOW, THAT'S PART.

OF THE PROBLEM IS ONE THING IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO.

WE SORT OF SHAKE OUR FINGER AT PEOPLE AND SAY YOU SHOULD STOP EATING, EXERCISE, IT

HASN'T WORKED.

>> Stephen: THAT FINGER SHAKING IS ONLY EXERCISE A LOT OF US GET.

>> WE REALLY NEED TO THINK ABOUT THIS HOLISTICKICALLY IT HAS TO BE THE INDIVIDUAL,

THE FAMILY, THE COMMUNITY.

AND IT'S GOING TO HAVE TO BE THE FOOD INDUSTRY TOO TAKING SERIOUSLY THAT THIS IS PART

OF THE ISSUE.

THAT WE AMERICANS HAVE WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR IN OUR DIET AND IT'S KILLING US.

>> Stephen: DR. , PLEASE COME AGAIN MAYBE WHEN AMERICA HAS LOST SOME WEIGHT

BUT WOULD YOU DO ONE THING FOR ME, PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THIS HERE.

DR. COLLINS, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

DR. FRANCIS COLLINS, THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION, AIRS MONDAY ON HBO.