Dan Savage

  • Aired:  06/10/13
  •  | Views: 25,820

Dan Savage shares his book, "American Savage: Insights, Slights, and Fights on Faith, Sex, Love, and Politics." (5:16)

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT HAS A NEW BOOK

"AMERICAN SAVAGE: INSIGHTS,

SLIGHTS AND FIGHTS ON FAITH,

SEX, LOVE AND POLITICS."

IT IS BEING SOLD IN EVERY

SECTION AT BARNES AND NOBLE.

PLEASE WELCOME DAN SAVAGE.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

GOOD TO SEE YOU, DAN.

NICE TO SEE YOU AGAIN.

ALWAYS LIKE HAVING YOU ON, DAN.

FREQUENT FRIEND OF THE SHOW.

YOUR NEW BOOK IS CALL "AMERICAN

SAVAGE."

OKAY.

IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE YOU WERE

ON THE SHOW.

STILL GAY?

>> STILL GAY.

tephen: BECAUSE YOU NEVER

KNOW.

IT'S A FREE COUNTRY.

>> DOESN'T WASH OFF IN THE RAIN.

Stephen: I KNOW, BUT THE DOOR

IS ALWAYS OPEN.

>> LIKEWISE.

Stephen: I UNDERSTAND THAT.

BUT I'M STRAPPED IN WHERE I AM.

THANK YOU.

I'M STAYING ON MY LITTLE...

>> USUALLY IT'S THE LESBIANS WHO

STRAP IN.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: WELL, SAFETY FIRST.

THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT.

NOW THE SUPREME COURT IS GOING

TO BE HANDING DOWN RULINGS...

>> TWO RULINGS.

Stephen: TWO RULINGS.

ONE ON DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT.

THE OTHER ONE ON PROP 8 SAYING

NO GAY MARRIAGE IN CALIFORNIA.

>> RIGHT.

SO THE DEFENSE OF MARRIAGE ACT

WAS PASSED IN THE '90s.

BILL CLINTON SIGNED IT.

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WILL NOT

RECOGNIZE SAME-SEX MARRIAGES

PERFORMED IN STATES WHERE IT

MIGHT BE LEGAL.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER THAT

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS

REALLY USURPED THIS POWER FROM

THE STATES AND SAID WE WILL PICK

AND CHOOSE BETWEEN MARRIAGES.

FIRST COUSINS CAN MARRY IN SOME

STATES NOT IN OTHERS.

>> Stephen: SOUTH CAROLINA.

PEOPLE ARE LEGALLY MARRIED IN

THE STATE WHERE I LIVE,

WASHINGTON STATE.

TERRY AND I ARE LEGALLY MARRIED

IN WASHINGTON STRAIGHT.

THEIR MARRIAGES ARE RECOGNIZED

BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

OURS IS NOT.

THAT HAS REAL-WORLD IMLIKS

AROUND INHERITANCE, TAXES AND

SOCIAL SECURITY.

CERTAINLY AROUND TAXES.

WE HAVE A HUGE TAX BILL BECAUSE

WE CANNOT FILE JOINTLY BECAUSE

WE ARE NOT MARRIED.

>> Stephen: YEAH, YOU'RE NOT.

YOU'RE NOT.

>> WE ARE.

WE'RE JUST AS MARRIED AS OUR

NEIGHBORS BUT THE FEDERAL

GOVERNMENT WOULDN'T RECOGNIZE OR

MARRIAGE.

>> Stephen: I'M MARRIED TO A

LADY.

THERE'S A NAME FOR IT.

IT'S CALLED MARRIAGE.

PERHAPS YOU'VE HEARD OF IT.

>> MY MARRIAGE IS JUST AS

MARRIAGE AS YOUR MARRIAGE IS.

>> Stephen: YOU'RE MARRIED TO A

GUY.

DON'T EAR FLAP, OKAY.

IT'S LIKE TWO MAGNETS.

YOU HAVE TWO POSITIVE ENDS.

>> YOU TURN ONE OF THOSE MAGNETS

AROUND AND IT FITS RIGHT IN.

>> Stephen: IF YOU'RE GOING TO

MAKE EVERYTHING ABOUT SEX.

>> YOU'RE MAKING EVERYTHING

ABOUT SEX.

>> Stephen: I'M SAD.

YOU ARE MAKING MARRIAGE ABOUT

SEX WHEN YOU SAY THAT TWO MEN

CANNOT BE MARRIED.

THE SERIOUS POINT THOUGH IS THAT

IT IS NOT GAY PEOPLE WHO WISH TO

REDEFINE MARRIAGE.

HETEROSEXUALS REDEFINE MARRIAGE.

EVERYTHING WE HEAR THAT IS A

DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF

MARRIAGE WHEN GAY PEOPLE WANT TO

MARRIAGE, MONNING ON KNEE,

RELIGION, CHILDREN.

IT'S AS IF STRAIGHT PEOPLE ARE

SAYING YOU GUYS HAVE TO GET

MARRIED IN 1913.

WE'RE GETTING MARRIED IN 2013.

>> Stephen: MAYBE IT'S A

COMPLIMENT.

MAYBE WE THINK WE CAN HOLE YOU

TO A HIRE STANDARD.

>> WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU.

WE WANT EQUAL RIGHTS NOT DOUBLE

STANDARDS.

>> Stephen: NOW LISTEN...

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

THANK YOU.

I'VE GOT TO SAY, I DO THINK I

HANDLED THAT WELL.

THANK YOU.

>> WE'RE NOT BETTER THAN YOU.

THAT WAS JUST THE HEAT OF THE

MOMENT.

>> Stephen: WE'LL EDIT OUT YOUR

POLICY.

NOW YOU WRITE ABOUT THINGS THAT

ARE NOT GAY RIGHTS IN THIS BOOK.

OBAMA CARE, CATHOLICISM,

PHYSICIAN-ASSISTED SUICIDE.

WHY DO YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO TALK

ABOUT THOSE THINGS?

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT GAY PEOPLE

AND THOSE THINGS, RIGHT.

>> I'M TALKING ABOUT OBAMA CARE

GENERALLY.

I'M A LIBERAL.

I'M A PROGRESSIVE BUT I

DESCRIBE... YOU WOULD DELIGHT IN

THIS.

I DESCRIBE OBAMA CARE IN THIS

BOOK AS EVIL.

>> Stephen: OH, GOD BLESS YOU.

IT'S THE LESSER OF TWO EVIL.

THE SYSTEM WE HAD BEFORE PRIOR

TO OBAMA CARE IS MORE EVIL, BUT

OBAMA CARE IS STILL A LITTLE

EVIL.

IT IS A CONSERVATIVE PLOT, PLAN

HATCHED BY THE HERITAGE

FOUNDATION ORIGINALLY ADOPTED BY

MITT ROMNEY IN MASSACHUSETTS.

BECAUSE OBAMA ROLLED IT OUT ALL

LIBERALS BECAME EMOTIONALLY

INVESTED IN THIS CONSERVATIVE

PLAN FOR HEALTH CARE WHICH WAS

TO EXTEND PRIVATE HEALTH

INSURANCE AND SUBSIDIZE IT AS

OPPOSED TO SWITCHING TO A SINGLE

PAYOR MODEL LIKE EVERY OTHER

INDUSTRIALIZED NATION.

YOU KNOW WHO HAS THIS SINGLE

PAYOR MODEL?

VATICAN CITY.

>> Stephen: THIS IS IT RIGHT

THERE.

>> IT COVERS EVERYTHING BUT

BIRTH CONTROL BECAUSE ALTAR BOYS

CAN'T GET PREGNANT.

WHEN ALTAR BOYS START GETTING

PREGNANT THEY'LL COVER BIRTH

CONTROL TOO.

>> Stephen: WE'RE GOING TO GLOSS

OVER THAT FOR JUST A MOMENT.

>> AS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAS

DONE FOR DECADES.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

>> Stephen: DAN, THANK YOU SO

MUCH FOR JOINING ME.

DAN SAVAGE.

THE BOOK IS "AMERICAN SAVAGE."

GO GET IT.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

[ CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ]

Loading...