Better Know a District - Maryland's 4th - Donna Edwards

  • Aired:  05/07/13
  •  | Views: 5,791

Congresswoman Donna Edwards explains that Maryland did not ban straight marriage and discusses her stance on gun control. (9:10)

FURIOUS.

NOW, FOLKS,...

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

EXCUSE ME A MOMENT.

OH, HI THERE.

I'M JUST TRYING OUT MY NEW

GOOGLE GLASSES.

I HAD TO MAKE MY OWN BECAUSE

SERGEY BRIN, THE COFOUNDER OF

GOOGLE, DIDN'T SEND ME A PAIR.

NO BIG DEAL.

THESE WORK JUST AS WELL.

GOOGLE GLASSES.

WHAT'S FOUR PLUS FOUR?

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

I CAN'T SEE THE ANSWER BECAUSE I

DON'T HAVE MY GLASSES ON.

SERIOUS DESIGN FLAW.

YOU SEE, SERGEY BRIN HAILS FROM

THE SUBJECT OF THE 69th

INSTALLMENT OF MY 343-PART

SERIES BETTER KNOW A DISTRICT.

TONIGHT MARYLAND FOURTH, THE

FIGHTIN' FOURTH.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

THE FOURTH IS THE FIRST BLACK

SUB URBAN DISTRICT IN THE

COUNTRY MAKING IT IS THE JACKIE

ROBINSON OF NEVER RETURNING YOUR

NEIGHBOR'S WE'DWACKER.

IT IS ALSO THE FIRST SUBURB EVER

TO BE PULLED OVER BY THE COPS.

MARYLAND'S FOURTH ALSO HOUSES

ANDREWS AIR FORCE BASE, HOME TO

THE PRESIDENT'S JUM BE JET AIR

FORCE ONE ALTHOUGH AFTER

SEQUESTER CUTS IT'S BEEN

DOWNGRADED TO HONDA CIVIC FORCE

ONCE.

MARYLAND'S FOURTH ALSO INCLUDES

FED-EX FIELD HOME OF THE

WASHINGTON REDSKINS, THE MOST

OFFENSIVE TAME IN PROFESSIONAL

SPORTS OTHER THAN THE ARIZONA

ASIAN KIDS ARE GOOD AT MATHS.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

NOW, SOME CELEBRITIES... SOME

ARIZONA FANS HERE TONIGHT.

SOME CELEBRITIES WHO HAVE LIVED

IN THE FOURTH INCLUDE SUGAR RAY

LEONARD AND WHEEL OF FORTUNE

HOST... OH, WHAT IS HIS NAME?

JIMMY, GIVE ME A CLUE.

OKAY.

I ANT TO SOLVE THE PUZZLE.

FAT SAJAM AND WHO HAS THE

OVERNIGHT PACKAGE TO REPRESENT

THIS DISTRICT?

WHY, IT'S NONE OTHER THAN THIRD

TERM DEMOCRATIC CONGRESSWOMAN

DONNA ED WARYDZ.

I SAT DOWN WITH REPRESENTATIVE

EDWARDS IN HER WASHINGTON

OFFICE.

CONGRESSMAN THANK YOU SO MUCH

FOR TALKING TO ME TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

GOOD TO BE HERE.

>> YOU ARE CONGRESSWOMAN DONNA

EDWARDS.

CAN I CALL YOU ED?

>> YOU CAN CALL ME DONNA.

ED, TELL ME ABOUT THE

FIGHTIN' FOURTH.

>> IT'S THE HOME TO ANDREWS AIR

FORCE BASE WHICH IS WHERE THE

PRESIDENT LANDS HIS PLANES AND

THE HOME TO A LOT OF FEDERAL

WORKERS.

A GREAT CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT.

>> YOUR DISTRICT IS THE FIRST IN

THE COUNTRY WITH AN

AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAJORITY.

>> IT'S A WONDERFULLY DIVERSE

DISTRICT.

WE DO HAVE AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN

MAJORITY.

>> Stephen: I DON'T SEE RACE.

I'VE EVOLVED BEYOND THAT, YOU

KNOW.

I JUST PRETEND EVERYBODY IS

WHITE AND IT'S ALL GOOD.

>> THAT WORKS FOR YOU.

EN THERE'S NO RACISM.

AT PROBABLY WOULDN'T WORK

FOR ME.

>> WHY NOT?

BECAUSE I'M BLACK.

Stephen: I DIDN'T KNOW THAT

UNTIL YOU JUST TOLD ME.

YOU SEE, NOW YOU'RE THE PROBLEM.

>> NO SNED MA I CALL YOU SISTER

EDWARDS.

>> YOU CAN CALL ME DONNA.

EDDIE, YOU'VE BEEN ACCUSED OF

YOU CAN LEUM WARM ON ISRAEL.

DO YOU SUPPORT A TWO-STATE

SOLUTION.

>> I DO.

TWO ISRAELS.

NO, A PALESTINIAN STATE.

WE NEED A SPARE ISRAEL MAYBE

UP IN LEB NOBODY JUST IN CASE

SOMETHING HAPPENS IN THE FIRST

STATE OF ISRAEL.

>> A SECURE ISRAEL AND A

PALESTINIAN STATE.

>> BUT THAT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE.

WHICH SLOPE IS THAT?

THE PALESTINIAN STATE.

WHAT'S NEXT?

GAY MARRIAGE?

>> I DON'T THINK THAT'S TRUE.

SO THE GAYS LOVE.

THEY LOVE IT SLIPPERY.

SPEAKING OF SLIPPERY SLOPE.

YOU'RE ONE OF THE THREE STATES

THAT VOTED TO BAN STRAIGHT

MARRIAGE.

WHAT HAS THAT DONE TO MARRIAGE

IN YOUR STATE.

>> WE DID NOT VOTE TO BAN STATE

MARRIAGE.

WE MADE MARRIAGE MORE INCLUSIVE

IN MARYLAND.

WE SAID ANYONE CAN GET MARRIED.

>> WHAT DOES MARRIED MEAN?

MARRIED MEANS LIVING

TOGETHER, COMMITTED TO EACH

OTHER OVER A LONG PERIOD OF

TIME.

IN A HOUSEHOLD FOR A LIFETIME.

>> A GUY AND A DOG.

I'M COMMITTED TO MY DOG.

>> I HAVE A 20-YEAR-OLD CAT BUT

WE'RE NOT MARRIED.

>> WOULD YOU LET ANYTHING HAPPEN

TO YOUR CAT.

WHAT'S DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THAT

AND MARRYING YOUR CAT BY

DEFINITION?

>> I CHANGE A LITTER BOX FOR MY

CAT.

NOT WHAT I WOULD DO IN A

MARRIAGE.

>> WHAT IF YOUR LOVED ONE NEEDED

THEIR LITTER BOX CHANGED?

WOULD YOU DO IT?

I WOULD DO IT.

THAT'S THE LEVEL WHICH I LOVE.

PEOPLE.

WHAT LEVEL DO YOU LOVE PEOPLE.

>> THIS IS SOMETHING TO THINK

ABOUT.

>> MOVING ON, YOU TWEETED ON GUN

CONTROL.

YOU TWEETED IT'S TIME TO CONTROL

ACCESS TO HANDGUNS.

DIDN'T YOU LEAVE OUT A COUPLE OF

"TOS" IN THERE, LIKE OUR RIGHT

TO BEAR ARMS UNDER THE SECOND

AMENDMENT?

>> I MEAN IT'S NOT AN UNFETTERED

RIGHT.

>> WHAT'S YOUR PREFERRED METHOD

FROM PRYING IT FROM MY COLD DEAD

HANDS.

>> I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE YOUR

GUNS.

>> REALLY?

YOU APPEARED ON THIS WEEK

STEPHANAPOLOUS AND SAID, QUOTE,

WE'VE GOT TO GET THE GUNS.

>> BUT I THINK THAT...

WE'VE GOT TO GET THE GUNS.

THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID.

>> WE HAVE TO LIMIT THE GUNS

THAT ARE ON OUR STREETS.

>> YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE MY GUN.

I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE YOUR

GUN.

>> YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE MY

GUN BECAUSE I HAVE GUNS.

ARE YOU DIAGNOSE A GUN REGISTRY

RIGHT NOW.

>> I'D LIKE TO MAKE SURE WE

KNOW...

>> WHO HAS GUNS SO YOU CAN TAKE

MY GUN.

LET ME THROW OUT A SCENARIO.

THIS IS WHY I NEED A GUN.

I'M ASLEEP.

I SLEEP IN THE NUDE.

I WAKE UP.

THERE'S A METH-CRAZED MANIAC

OVER MY BED WEARING NOTHING BUT

A CLOWN MASK.

AND A JOCK STRAP.

HE'S GOT AN AX IN HIS HAND.

I REACH FOR MY GUN AND THEN I

THINK, OH, I REMEMBER,

CONGRESSMAN EDWARDS TOOK MY GUN.

MAY I CALL TO FIGHT OFF THAT

GUY?

OR DO I JUST REASON WITH HIM OR

DO I OFFER TO GAY MARRY HIM?

>> I THINK YOU'D BE ABLE TO GET

THE GUN BECAUSE I WILL NOT HAVE

REMOVED IT FROM YOUR HOME.

>> BUT YOU DO SEE THE PROBLEM?

NO.

IT'S HARD TO ENVISION THAT

PROBLEM.

>> YOU AND I HAVE SOMETHING IN

COMMON.

WE'RE BOTH DISAPPOINTED WITH

PRESIDENT OBAMA.

>> I'M NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE

PRESIDENT.

>> HAVE YOU CRITICIZED HIS

POLICY ON DRONE USE.

>> I HAVE CRITICIZED SOME OF

PRESIDENT OBAMA'S POLICIES.

>> WHEN HE ASKED FOR EXTRA

TROOPS IN AFGHANISTAN, DID YOU

VOTE YES?

>> NO, I DID NOT.

OKAY.

LET ME ASK YOU SOMETHING.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT SOCIAL

SECURITY SHOULD BE CUT?

>> NO.

OKAY.

PRESIDENT OBAMA HAS PROPOSED

CUTS TO SOCIAL SECURITY AND

MEDICAID.

WHAT IS THIS DOING TO YOU?

>> I SAW THAT AS A PROBLEM.

SO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH

PRESIDENT OBAMA.

>> I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CUTTING

SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE.

>> IMAGINE THAT I'M AN OLD WOMAN

IN YOUR DISTRICT, OKAY.

WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THE OLD

PEOPLE WHO TRUSTED YOU AND

TRUSTED OBAMA?

>> WELL, I DEFINITELY HAVE A

PROBLEM WITH CUTTING SOCIAL

SECURITY AND MEDICARE.

>> STOP THAT MAN IN THE WHITE

HOUSE.

I NEED THAT MONEY.

YOU'VE GOT TO STOP HIM.

>> WELL, I DON'T AGREE WITH

PRESIDENT OBAMA.

I DO THINK THAT...

>> STOP HIM.

WE WANT TO PROTECT YOUR

SOCIAL SECURITY.

>> THAT BAD MAN IN THE WHITE

HOUSE IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY ALL

MY MONEY.

>> HE'S NOT A BAD MAN.

WASN'T BORN HERE, YOU

KNOW.

HE'S AN ARAB.

HE'S AN ARAB.

YOU KNOW HE'S A MUSLIM.

SEAN HANNITY TOLD ME THAT.

YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT

THIS.

OH, JENNY.

MY GRANDDAUGHTER JENNY WHOM I'VE

NEVER MET.

BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER MARRIED A

BLACK MAN.

>> THE PEOPLE IN MY DISTRICT

ESPECIALLY THE OLDER WOMEN IN MY

DISTRICT LOVE PRESIDENT OBAMA.

BUT THEY DON'T LIKE WHAT HE'S

PROPOSED FOR MEDICARE AND SOCIAL

SECURITY.

>> SO YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THE

PRESIDENT ON THAT.

>> I DON'T.

WHEN WILL YOU SAY ENOUGH, I'M

READY TO BE A REPUBLICAN?

>> THAT'S NOT HAPPENING.

NO?

.

YES?

NO.

CONGRESSWOMAN, THANK YOU FOR

TAKING THE TIME TO TALK TO ME

TODAY.

>> THANK YOU.

Stephen: LET'S PUT MARYLAND'S

FOURTH UP ON THE BIG BOARD.

IT LOOKEDS LIKE THE INDIANS

FINALLY TORCHED FED-EX FIELD.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...