Anthony Romero

  • Aired:  09/07/10
  •  | Views: 21,816

Anthony Romero explains why America needs the ACLU to support the Constitution, now that it has Tea Partiers. (5:42)

EVERYBODY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS THE

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE

A.C.L.U., WHICH MEANS HE WILL

DEFEND TO THE DEATH MY RIGHT TO

CALL HIM ALL THE TERRIBLE THINGS

I'M ABOUT TO.

PLEASE WELCOME ANTHONY ROMERO.

[CHEERS AND APPLAUSE]

HEY, ANTHONY, NICE TO SEE YOU.

HAVE A SEAT.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME BACK

TO HELP US KICK OFF THE 90th

ANNIVERSARY OF THE A.C.L.U.

YOU'RE SUCH A SWEETHEART TO HAVE

ME HERE TO CELEBRATE 90 YEARS OF

GREAT WORK, CASES WE BROUGHT,

BATTLES WE'VE FOUGHT, THE RIGHT

OF MEN AND WOMEN OF DIFFERENT

RACES TO MARRY.

>> Stephen: I EVEN GOT YOU A

PRESENT.

>> WHAT IS THAT?

>> Stephen: LOOK, IT'S A FIN.

>> THE RIGHT TO CONTRACEPTION,

GRISWOLD V. CONNECTICUT.

>> Stephen: THE RIGHT TO

CONTRACEPTION.

WHY ARE YOU GOING STRAIGHT INTO

THE GUTTER WITH THIS INTERVIEW.

NOW, I AM NOT HERE TO HELP YOU.

I AM HERE TO GIVE YOU A SOUND

DRUBBING.

THESE ARE THE LATEST THINGS

YOU'VE BEEN YAMMERIG ON ABOUT

AND CLOGGING UP OUR COURT CASES.

OKAY.

YOU RECENTLY FILED A LAWSUIT

THAT CHALLENGES THE OBAMA

STRAIGHT'S PRACTICE OF TARGETED

KILLINGS OF SUSPECTED

TERRORISTS.

>> AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO HAS

NEVER BEEN INDICTED, NO TRIAL,

NO EVIDENCE PRESENTED, HE'S

SUSPECTED OF TERROR IN A FOREIGN

COUNTRY.

>> STEPHEN.

>> I SAY WE TAKE HIM OUT WITH A

PREDATOR DRONE.

>> I THINK YOU'RE WRONG.

>> Stephen: I SAY BACKPACKERS

IN EUROPE.

WHY CAN'T WE GO AFTER THESE GUYS

WHO ARE SWORN ENEMIES OF THE

UNITED STATES EVEN IF THEY'RE

AMERICAN CITIZENS BECAUSE THEY

WANT US DEAD.

WE HAVE TO HAVE THEM DEAD.

THE PRESIDENT HAS TO HAVE THE

RIGHT.

>> BECAUSE WE'RE AMERICANS, WE

BELIEVE IN DEW POINT, WE BELIEVE

IN EVIDENCE.

YOU DON'T WANT TO EXECUTE AN

AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS NOT ON

THE BATTLEFIELD.

HE'S IN YEMEN.

>> Stephen: YEMEN IS A

BATTLEFIELD.

IT'S FULL OF TERRORISTS.

WE SEND PREDATOR DRONE STRIKES

IN THERE ALL THE TIME.

>> IS LONDON A BATTLEFIELD?

>> Stephen: IT HAS BEEN.

I BELIEVE IT'S GRANDFATHERED IN

FROM THE BLITZ.

[LAUGHTER]

>> THE WHOLE POINT, THOUGH,

STEPHEN, IS THE U.S. GOVERNMENT

IS GOING TO TRY TO KILL AN

AMERICAN CITIZEN...

>> Stephen: WHO WANTS TO KILL

YOU, ANTHONY ROMERO, BECAUSE HE

HATES YOUR FREEDOM.

>> THAT'S WHY WE'RE DEFENDING

THE FREEDOM.

>> Stephen: HE'S A SUSPECTED

TERRORIST.

WHY SUSPECT HIM IF HE'S NOT A

TERRORIST?

>> LOOK AT ALL THE SUSPECTED

TERRORISTS AT GUANTANAMO WHO

WERE LATER ON RELEASED.

>> Stephen: YOU AND THE

PRESIDENT WANT TO CLOSE

GUANTANAMO.

DO YOU WANT TO CLOSE IT AS MUCH

AS HE DOES?

>> I THINK...

>> Stephen: WHAT WOULD YOU DO

WITH THESE PEOPLE?

>> PUT THEM IN COURT.

GIVE THEM DUE PROCESS.

YOU CHARGE THEM WITH CRIMES.

>> Stephen: CUT THEM LOOSE IN

OUR COURTS.

>> YOU DON'T CUT THEM LOOSE.

YOU HAVE PROSECUTORS AND DEFENSE

LAWYERS.

>> Stephen: WE'RE TRYING

DEFEND OURSELVES.

>> MORE THAN 300 TERRORISM

SUSPECTS HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFULLY

PROSECUTED IN THE FEDERAL

COURTS.

WE CAN DO IT.

>> Stephen: DO YOU WANT A

GROUND ZERO MOSQUE?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: OKAY.

LET'S KILL TWO BIRDS WITH ONE

STONE.

CLOSE GUANTANAMO AND MOVE THEM

ALL INTO THE GROUND ZERO MOSQUE.

BECAUSE MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT

THING IS FULL OF TERRORISTS

ANYWAY.

LET THEM OPEN IT AND PUT A

PADLOCK ON THE FRONT DOOR.

>> LISTEN, STEPHEN, WHAT'S MOST

IMPORTANT HERE IS THAT PEOPLE

HAVE A RIGHT TO PROTEST THE

MOSQUE.

>> YES.

>> Stephen: THEY HAVE AN

OBLIGATION.

>> BUT, BUT, WE HAVE TO LOOK AT

THE RAMPANT ANTI-MUSLIM

SENTIMENT IN AMERICA RIGHT NOW.

THE XENOPHOBIA WE SEE AGAINST

MUSLIMS IS REALLY PROBLEMATIC.

>> Stephen: I HAVE NOTHING

AGAINST MUSLIMS.

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST MUSLIMS.

I BELIEVE IT'S A GREAT RELIGION

FOLLOWED BY MOHAMMED, PEACE BE

UPON HIS NAME, BUT YOU CANNOT

DENY THEY'RE OUT TO KILL US.

>> NO, NO, NO.

>> Stephen: IT FEELS... IT

FEELS... THEY FEEL SCARY.

>> MUSLIMS ARE NOT OUT THE KILL

US.

>> Stephen: THEY FEEL SCARY.

YOU'LL ADMIT THAT.

THEY HAVE BEARDS.

THEY DON'T WEAR BELTS OFTEN.

[LAUGHTER]

>> THEY'RE NO MORE SCARY.

WE CANNOT...

>> Stephen: DID YOU SAY NO

MORE SCARY THAN CATHOLICS?

>> YES.

>> Stephen: WHAT ARE YOU

TALKING ABOUT?

ARE YOU CATHOLIC?

>> I WAS ONCE.

>> Stephen:, NO YOU ARE STILL

A CATHOLIC.

>> THE POPE RELEASED ME AS A GAY

MAN.

>> Stephen: HE DIDN'T RELEASE

YOU.

HE CONDEMNED YOU.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

[APPLAUSE]

>> I LOVE THE POPE.

>> Stephen: YOUR ORGANIZATION

FIGHTS TO SUPPORT THE

CONSTITUTION, RIGHT?

>> THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE DO.

FOR 90 YEARS.

>> Stephen: WHY DO WE NEED THE

A.C.L.U. NOW THAT WE HAVE THE

TEA PARTY?

BECAUSE THEY SUPPORT THE

CONSTITUTION.

DO THEY NOT?

THAT'S WHAT THEY SAY.

>> IT DEPENDS.

>> Stephen: THAT'S WHAT THEY

SAY.

>> I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT.

>> Stephen: THAT'S ALL THEY

SAY, SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION.

>> SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION,

SHUT DOWN ALL THESE DEBATES.

>> Stephen: WHAT DEBATES?

>> DEBATES ABOUT GAY RIGHTS.

ARE THEY FOR GAY RIGHTS?

>> Stephen: WE CAN STILL

DEBATE IT.

YOU'RE WRONG.

THAT'S A DEBATE.

>> THAT'S NOT REAL DEBATE.

WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT

WHETHER THE SIGNIFICANT ISSUES

OF OUR TIME, CLOSING GUANTANAMO,

MAKING SURE WE DON'T ATTACK

AMERICAN CITIZENS USING DRONES

WITH NO DEW DUE PROCESS.

THE U.S. GOVERNMENT TARGETS

AMERICAN CITIZENS FOR DEATH.

WE DON'T GET TO COME BACK.

>> Stephen: SOUNDS LIKE

SOMEONE'S AFRAID THEIR NAME IS

ON THE LIST.

>> THERE IS.

THERE IS ONE FELLOW WHO IS OUR

CLIENT.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

IT'S LIKE SHAKING THE HAND OF

DEATH HIMSELF.

ANTHONY RO

Loading...