Gloria Steinem

  • Aired:  08/11/11
  •  | Views: 40,199

Gloria Steinem believes Americans know that women can do what men can do, but they don't know that men can do what women can do. (6:05)

>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

WELCOME BACK, EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A

FEMINIST ICON AND THE

SUBJECT OF A NEW HBO

DOCUMENTARY.

AND IT'S ONLY 75% AS LONG AS

DOCUMENTARIES ABOUT MEN.

PLEASE WELCOME GLORIA

STEINHAM.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

GLORIA, GOOD TO SEE YOU

AGAIN.

HOW ARE YOU DOING.

>> VERY GOOD.

>> Stephen: I DON'T HAVE TO

INTRODUCE YOU, YOU ARE A

FEMINIST ICON.

>> NO, NO, NO,.

>> Stephen: NO, YOU ARE, YOU

ARE A FEMINIST ICON.

THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT WEAR

PICTURES OF YOU AROUND THEIR

NECK.

>> BUT ICON IS REALLY

DANGEROUS BECAUSE THEN YOU

GET AN ICONOCLAST.

IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA WZ.

>> Stephen: PEOPLE ATTACK

YOU FOR BEING AN ICON AND

HERE WE GO.

>> OKAY, OKAY I'M READY.

>> Stephen: THIS DOCUMENTARY

IS GLORIA IN HER OWN WORDS.

WHY DO YOU NEED TO EXPRESS

YOURSELF IN YOUR OWN WORDS?

ARE YOU MISINTERPRETED BY

OTHER PEOPLE?

>> PROBABLY.

AND PROBABLY THAT WILL GO

RIGHT ON BECAUSE IT IS IN MY

OWN WORDS.

BUT IT'S JUST MORE INTIMATE,

I THINK.

BECAUSE YOU-- WELL, HERE'S

WHAT HAPPENS.

THEY ASK ME QUESTIONS AND I

TRIED TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY

AS I COULD.

AND THEN THEY CREATED A

DOCUMENTARY AROUND IT.

SO IT'S KIND OF LIKE JUMPING

OFF A CLIFF, YOU KNOW.

AND IT TURNED OUT AMAZINGLY

WELL.

>> IT'S A GREAT DOCUMENTARY.

>> IT REALLY IS A WINDOW

INTO A TIME WHEN SEXISM

EXISTED.

(LAUGHTER)

BUT NOW EVERYTHING'S EQUAL.

THERE'S SPANKS FOR MEN NOW.

>> THERE ARE, I DIDN'T KNOW

THAT.

>> THERE R THERE ARE SPANKS

FOR MEN, TRUST ME.

>> Stephen: WHERE DO YOU SEE

THE FEMINIST MOVEMENT

EXISTING NOW?

>> WELL, ACTUALLY, THE THING

THAT CONCERNS ME ABOUT THE

DOCUMENTARY IS THAT PEOPLE

LOOK AT IT AND SEE WHERE WE

HAVE BEEN FOR 20 OR 30 OR 40

YEARS AND HOW MUCH WE HAVE

DONE.

WE'VE DONE A LOT.

BECAUSE NOW WE KNOW THAT SAY

WOMEN CAN DO WHAT MEN CAN DO,

MOST FOLK WAS AGREE WITH

THAT.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> Stephen: BUT WE DON'T --

>> BUT WE DON'T KNOW THAT

MEN CAN DO WHAT WOMEN CAN

DO.

>> Stephen: WE CANNOT HAVE

THE BABIES.

>> NO.

AND THEREFORE-- .

>> Stephen: WE CAN TO THE

HAVE THE BABIMENT I HAVE

TALKED TO A LOT OF DOCTORS.

>> THANSD'S WHY IT WOULD BE

GREAT IF MEN SPENT THAT MUCH

MORE THAN HALF THE TIME

CARING FOR THE CHILDREN

BECAUSE WOMEN HAVE SPENT A

YEAR OR WHATEVER, YOU

KNOW-- .

>> Stephen: NINE MONTHS.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT SPECIES

ARE YOU FROM BUT NINE MONTHS

WHERE I COME FROM.

>> OH, SO, NOBODY NURSED

YOU?

>> Stephen: NO, NO, NO.

I WAS-- I HAD FORMULA.

(LAUGHTER)

>> Stephen: I'M A CHILD OF

THE '60s.

>> THAT EXPLAINS.

>> Stephen: SO MEN SHOULD

SHARE HALF THE DUTY PLUS

NINE MONTHS THAT WOULD EVEN

THINGS OUT.

>> YEAH, A LOT OF THAT IS

LOGIC.

LODGEA LODGE SICK IN THE EYE

OF THE LODGICIAN BUT IT IS

REALLY IMPORTANT, THAT KIDS

GROW UP KNOWING THAT MEN CAN

BE AS LOVING AND NURTURING

AS WOMEN CAN.

>> Stephen: I THOUGHT THE

ROLE OF THE FATHER WAS TO

TAKE HIS EMOTION AND STUFF

IT DOWN AS MUCH AS CAN SO IT

COMES OUT INAPPROPRIATELY AT

THANKSGIVING DINNER.

(LAUGHTER)

>> WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT

IS A REVOLUTION AND NOT A

REFORM.

>> GLORIA STEINHAM IS THE

MOST VISIBLE SYMBOL OF THE

WOMEN'S MOVEMENT.

>> YOU UNDERSTAND IT IS NOT

A ROLE EXCHANGE.

WE'RE NOT TRYING TO DO TO

MEN WHAT MEN HAVE DONE TO

US.

WE'RE TRYING TO HUMANIZE

BOTH ROLES.

>> EVERY GENERATION HAS ITS

OWN NAME.

>> MORE THAN A THIRD OF THIS

IS WOMEN UNDER 25 YEARS OLD.

>> PEOPLE WHO EMPOWER OTHER

PEOPLE.

>> SUSAN B. ANTHONY SAID OUR

JOB IS NOT TO MAKE YOUNG

WOMEN GRATE, IT'S TO MAKE

THEM UNGRATEFUL SO THEY KEEP

GOING.

WE'RE TO THE GOING TO STOP.

>> Stephen: IF THERE WAS ONE

THING THAT YOU COULD TELL TO

YOUNGER WOMEN TODAY WHO IT

NOT EXPERIENCE THE FEMINIST

MOVEMENT OF THE '60s AND THE

'70s, ONE EXAM PEV-- EXAMPLE

OF WHAT HAPPENED THEN THAT

DOESN'T HAPPEN ANY MORE THAT

CHANGED BECAUSE OF THE

FEMINIST MOVEMENT, WHAT

WOULD IT BE, WHAT WOULD YOU

SHOCK THEM WITH.

>> THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS

IN THE MOVIE THAT WILL YOU

SEE.

>> Stephen: WE DON'T HAVE

TIME FOR THE WHOLE MOVIE

RIGHT NOW.

>> BUT THERE WERE

RESTAURANTS IN WHICH WOMEN

COULD NOT BE SEATED OR COULD

NOT GO AT LUNCHTIME.

WHEN WE GOT MARRIED WE LOST

MOST OF OUR CIVIL RIGHTS,

OUR NAMES, OUR CREDIT

RATINGS, OUR LEGAL DOMICILE

AND BASICALLY WE THOUGHT

THAT OUR POSITION WAS DUE TO

NATURE OR YOU KNOW, FRAUD OR

GOD.

I DON'T KNOW-- FREUD.

>> Stephen: -- ENVY, NOTHING

TO BE ENVIOUS BY THE WAY.

IT'S REALLY A BURDEN.

I HAVE HEARD YOU SAY-- IT

IS.

(APPLAUSE)

>> Stephen: I HAVE HEARD YOU

SAY THAT YOU WERE

UNCOMFORTABLE BEING

PERCEIVED OF AS PRETTY, LIKE

THE PRETTY FEMINIST, WHY?

>> WELL, IT HAS TO DO WITH

BEING IDENTIFIED BY YOUR

OUTSIDES NOT YOUR INSIDES.

SO WOMEN WHO WERE PRETTY,

PEOPLE SAID OH THEY JUST

SUCCEEDED BECAUSE THEY WERE

PRETTY.

WOMEN WHO WERE NOT PRETTY

WHATEVER THAT MEANS, THEY

SAID OH, SHE IS SUCCEEDING

BECAUSE SHE COULDN'T GET A

MAN SO WE ALL BASICALLY HAD

THE SAME PROBLEM OF BEING

IDENTIFIED BY OUR OUTSIDES

INSTEAD OF OUR HEARTS AND

MINDS AND SO ON.

>> Stephen: BUT THE FACT

IS --

>> THAT STILL GOES ON.

>> Stephen: BUT THE FACT IS

YOU'RE PRETTY.

>> WELL, YOU'RE PRETTY TOO.

>> Stephen: I'VE BEEN

WAITING THE WHOM INTERVIEW

FOR THAT.

(LAUGHTER)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAD TO

WAIT SIX MINUTES.

GLORIA, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: GLORIA STEINHAM.

THE DOCUMENTARY, GLORIA, IN

HER OWN WORDS PREMIERS

MONDAY NIGHT ON HBO.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)