Danica Patrick

  • Aired:  04/24/13
  •  | Views: 17,341

NASCAR driver Danica Patrick explains how racing is a cardio workout. (5:21)

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

>> Stephen: WELCOME BACK,

EVERYBODY.

MY GUEST TONIGHT IS A NASCAR

DRIVER WHO RECENTLY WON POLE

POSITION AT THE DAYTONA 500.

I HAD NO IDEA THEY'VE BEEN

RACING THAT THING FOR 500 YEARS.

PLEASE WELCOME DANICA PATRICK.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

MS. PATRICK, MAY I CALL YOU

DANICA.

>> YES, PLEASE.

HOWEVER YOU FEEL NECESSARY TO

ADDRESS ME.

>> Stephen: DANICA, THANKS SO

MUCH FOR COMING ON.

I AM A HUGE FAN OF YOU, OKAY.

FIRST OF ALL, NASCAR IS THE

GREAT AMERICAN SPORT.

ALL RIGHT.

>> I AGREE.

Stephen: EVERYBODY TALKS

ABOUT DANICA PATRICK, YOU KNOW,

FIRST WOMAN TO GET POLE POSITION

AT DAYTONA 500.

THAT KIND OF STUFF.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

DO YOU EVER GET TIRED OF LIFE.

I'M A WOMAN.

I'M A DRIVER.

I'M NOT A WOMAN DRIVER.

I'M A DRIVER DRIVER.

>> I MEAN PEOPLE MENTION IT.

I DON'T REALLY MIND BECAUSE I

KNOW IT'S WHAT HELPED ME GET TO

WHERE I AM.

I HOPE WHEN I'M DONE RACING THAT

PEOPLE REMEMBER ME AS A GREAT

DRIVER.

>> Stephen: SO PERCEIVE YOU AS A

WOMAN.

I DON'T.

YOU COULD HAVE JUST EASILY BE A

MAN.

CAN YOU HELP ME OUT HERE.

I WANT TO UNDERSTAND SOME OF THE

FINER POINTS OF THE NASCAR.

>> OKAY.

Stephen: YOU START OFF WITH

AN INDY CAR.

>> I'M NOT VERY SMART WITH THIS

STUFF.

MAKE THEM SOFTBALL QUESTIONS FOR

ME.

>> Stephen: WHY DO YOU TURN TO

THE LEFT?

WHY DO YOU NEVER TURN TO THE

RIGHT?

>> ACTUALLY THERE'S A STORY WHEN

I WAS A KID I WAS RACING

GO-CARTS AND MY DAD WONDERED IF

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY RIGHT

EYE BECAUSE I SEEMED TO STRUGGLE

WITH THE RIGHT-HANDED CORNERS.

NO JOKE.

THIS IS SERIOUSLY SOMETHING HE

SAID.

APPARENTLY THAT'S WHAT MADE ME

MIGRATE TOWARDS TURNING LEFT A

LOT.

MAYBE.

I DON'T KNOW.

MAYBE I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH

MY RIGHT EYE.

>> Stephen: DO YOU HAVE TO

PSYCHE YOURSELF UP BEFORE THE

RACE?

DO YOU LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND

SAY, GO FAST.

WHAT DO YOU SAY FOR YOURSELF.

>> PLAY EYE OF THE TIGER.

Stephen: WHAT DO YOU DO

BEFORE YOU GO OUT AND RACE.

WHAT'S YOUR PREP?

>> I EAT.

Stephen: REALLY?

I EAT A LOT.

Stephen: ARE YOU...

NO.

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ).

I'M NOT.

>> Stephen: BECAUSE I'VE BEEN

DRIVING FOR YEARS AND MY ASS

JUST KEEPS GETTING BIGGER.

HOW DO YOU STAY IN SHAPE FOR

THIS KIND OF A SPORT?

>> CARDIOWISE THAT'S WHAT IT

REALLY IS.

>> Stephen: CARDIO, REALLY?

I THINK THERE WAS A STUDY

DONE THAT OUR HEART RATE IS THAT

OF ABOUT A RUNNER'S PACE THE

WHOLE TIME.

I DON'T KNOW 140 TO 180.

I DON'T KNOW.

I FEEL LIKE ABOUT 200 BEATS A

MINUTE WHEN I'M RUNNING.

>> Stephen: WHY DOES YOUR HEART

RACE SO HIGH?

IS IT JUST THE ADRENALINE?

>> PEOPLE ARE MAKING US MAD OUT

THERE.

>> Stephen: REALLY?

DOESN'T YOUR HEART RATE GO UP

WHEN PEOPLE MAKE YOU MAD ON THE

ROAD.

>> Stephen: AS SOMEONE USED TO

DRIVING 200 MILES AN HOUR WHEN

YOU'RE IN TRAFFIC, HOW BAD IS

YOUR ROAD RAGE?

>> IT'S REALLY BAD.

YEAH.

LIKE I'M ALWAYS TOLD TO RELAX.

WE'RE NOT IN A RUSH.

CALM DOWN.

>> Stephen: DOES THE RAGE HELP

YOU?

DOES THE ANGER HELP YOU AROUND

THE TRACK?

>> I THINK SOMETIMES WHEN YOUR

BLOOD GETS PUMPING, IT DOES HELP

A LITTLE BIT.

IT BRINGS OUT SOMETHING ELSE IN

YOU.

>> Stephen: DO YOU HOPE YOU'RE

INSPIRING OTHER WOMEN LIKE MAYBE

THERE'S A YOUNG GIRL OUT THIS

WATCHING THIS SHOW TONIGHT AND

THINKS, I'M GOING TO GO OUT AND

I'M GOING TO DRIVE 200 MILES AN

HOUR.

>> I DON'T THINK IT'S SOMETHING

THAT THEY SHOULD START RIGHT

AWAY.

BUT I DON'T THINK IT'S SOMETHING

THAT I EVER WAS SHOOTING FOR

WHEN I WAS A KID GROWING UP

BECAUSE I'M A KID AND I'M THE

ONE BEING INSPIRED AND TRYING TO

MAKE IT TO THE TOP.

AS IT HAPPENED AND PEOPLE

STARTED ASKING ME QUESTIONS LIKE

THAT, I STARTED TO REALIZE THAT

IT'S A REALLY HONORABLE ROLE.

I DON'T WANT TO WASTE IT.

SO WHENEVER I HAVE A CHANCE, I

ALWAYS TRY AND TAKE EXTRA TIME

FOR THE KIDS.

IF I DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO

SIGN I TRY TO SIGN FOR THE KIDS.

GIVE THEM A FUN EXPERIENCE.

FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY.

>> Stephen: I DO THE SAME THING.

( APPLAUSE )

>> Stephen: YOU'VE GOT TO GIVE

TIME FOR THE KIDS.

IF A CHILD WANTS MY AUTOGRAPH

I'M LIKE NO PROBLEM $5 WE'RE

GOOD.

>> THAT'S COOL

Stephen: YOU'VE GOT GO-DADDY

THERE ON YOUR JACKET.

>> YOU NOTICED THAT.

Stephen: YOU HAVE SPONSORED

ALL OVER YOUR CAR, RIGHT?

>> THAT'S RIGHT

Stephen: COULD I INTEREST

YOU, COULD I INTEREST YOU

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )

>> ABSOLUTELY.

I'M GOING TO MAKE THAT CALL

BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE GO DADDY

WILL BE SO HAPPY WHEN I PERFORM

WELL AFTER WALKING BY MY CAR AND

PUTTING PUT IN SUCH A GOOD MOOD

WHEN I SEE THIS FACE.

>> Stephen: DANICA, IT WAS

CALLED THE COLBERT BUMP, ALL

RIGHT?

BOOM.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING

US.

WE'LL BE RIGHT BACK.

Loading...